• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Sic 'Em! Duck Hunt MU Discussion

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954

This thread will be the central hub for analyzing Duck Hunt's matchups and engaging in matchup discussion for Smash Wii U/3DS. Strengths and weaknesses of the character will be analyzed in relation to the remainder of the roster. Three characters will be chosen each week for discussion and any one of the three may be discussed at any point during that time.

WEEK 1::4sonic::4falcon::4dedede:
WEEK 2::4yoshi::4diddy::4ganondorf:
WEEK 3::4sheik::4mario:
WEEK 4: :4olimar::rosalina::4bowserjr:
WEEK 5: :4pikachu::4rob::4fox:
WEEK 6: :4megaman::4ness::4peach:
WEEK 7: :4zss::4villager::4pacman:
WEEK 8: :4luigi::4kirby:
WEEK 9: :4greninja::4littlemac::4gaw:
WEEK 10: :4metaknight::4tlink:
WEEK 11: :4dk::4wario2::4pit::4darkpit:
WEEK 12: :4bowser::4myfriends:
WEEK 13: :4lucas::4feroy:

General Rules:
  • No flaming or trolling or spam. To do so will result in the wrath of @ Spirst Spirst .
  • Human error isn't something worth serious consideration. Discussions will assume both characters are being played to utmost potential.:4dedede:
  • Matchup perspectives need to be supported. Simply saying, "____ has the advantage" with no reasoning behind doing so will be treated as spam
The following are suggested subtopics of conversation:
  • Character strengths and weaknesses
  • How to effectively approach/deter approaches
  • Off-stage game
  • Positional play
  • Punishes/punishing
  • Specific moves/strings that are strong for both characters
  • Suggested custom movesets
  • Stage strengths and weaknesses
  • Overall score
Seeing as how matchup ratios are rather iffy and arbitrary and not necessarily as representative of a matchup as the precise number would have you believe, we are going to experiment with a simplified scoring system. The numbers are as follows:​
  • +3 = large advantage
  • +2 = moderate advantage
  • +1 = small advantage
  • ±0 = even
  • -1 = small disadvantage
  • -2 = moderate disadvantage
  • -3 = large disadvantage
This system reduces the complexity in assigning numerical values to matchups and provides a more general, accurate way to go about things.

Also, when giving a score to a match-up, you can alternate between giving a number value, or just saying that Rosalina has an advantage or disadvantage. For an example, "small advantage" would equal +1.

When discussing, basing the post roughly around the following guideline will help keep things clean and organized.

• Pros
  • Cons
  • Stage picks
  • Additional notes
  • Theoretical score (NOT AS IMPORTANT AS GENUINE DISCUSSION)

USEFUL LINKS
Video Thread

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Matchup Table
*Basic Table (All Scores Are From Duck Hunt's Perspective)*

| :4mario: | :4luigi: | :4peach: | :4bowser: | :4yoshi: | :rosalina: | :4bowserjr: | :4wario: | :4dk: | :4diddy:
:4duckhunt: | -1 | +1 | 0 | ?:? | -2 | -1 | -1 | ?:? | ?:? | -2
| :4gaw: | :4littlemac: | :4link: | :4zelda: | :4sheik: | :4ganondorf: | :4tlink: | :4samus: | :4zss: | :4pit:
:4duckhunt: | +1 | 2 : -2 | ?:? | ?:? | -1 | 2 : (-1) | ?:? | ?:? | -1 | ?:?
| :4palutena: | :4marth: | :4myfriends: | :4robinm: | :4duckhunt:| :4kirby: | :4dedede: | :4metaknight: | :4fox: | :4falco: | :4pikachu:
:4duckhunt:| ?:? | ?:? | ?:? | ?:? | ±0 | +1 | +1 | -2 | ?:? | ?:?| 0
| :4charizard: | :4lucario: | :4jigglypuff: | :4greninja: | :4mewtwo: | :4rob: | :4ness: | :4lucas: | :4falcon: | :4villagerf: | :4olimar:
:4duckhunt:| ?:? | ?:? | ?:? | -1 | ?:? | -2 | -1 | ?:? | -2 | 0 | -1
| :4wiifit: | :4shulk: | :4drmario: | :4darkpit: | :4lucina: | :4pacman: | :4megaman: | :4sonic: | :4miibrawl: | :4miisword: | :4miigun:
:4duckhunt: | ?:? | ?:? | ?:? | ?:? | ?:? | 0 | 0 | -1 | ?:? | ?:? | ?:?

*Detailed Table*
Character|Matchup|Consensus
:4bowser:| | Sample text goes here where a lengthier writeup would be written.
:4bowserjr:| |
:4falcon:| |
:4charizard:| |
:4darkpit:| |
:4diddy:| |
:4dk:| |
:4drmario:| |
:4duckhunt:| ±0 | Mirror match!
:4falco:| |
:4fox:| |
:4ganondorf:| |
:4greninja:| |
:4myfriends:| |
:4jigglypuff:|
:4dedede:| |
:4kirby:| |
:4link:| |
:4littlemac:| |
:4lucario:| |
:4lucas:| |
:4lucina:| |
:4luigi:| |
:4mario:| |
:4marth:| |
:4megaman:| |
:4metaknight:| |
:4mewtwo:| |
:4gaw:| |
:4ness:| |
:4olimar:| |
:4palutena:| |
:4pacman:| |
:4peach:| |
:4pikachu:| |
:4pit:| |
:4rob:| |
:4robinm:| |
:rosalina:| |
:4samus:| |
:4sheik:| |
:4shulk:| |
:4sonic:| |
:4tlink:| |
:4villagerf:| |
:4wario:| |
:4wiifit:| |
:4yoshi:| |
:4zelda:| |
:4zss:| |
:4miibrawl:| |
:4miigun:| |
:4miisword:| |

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
DHD vs Pit notes in my opinion:

~If you can powershield arrows while directing a can at them, this will make them realize that they can't just continue to use arrows. Getting used to powershielding while directing your can is pretty important in this match-up.
~If they keep on using arrows a lot, put yourself in the medium range space where you can run when they start using the arrow, power shield when they use it, and dash grab them afterwards. Arrow has enough end lag where this should work if you're spacing this correctly.
~If you shield the very tip of a forward tilt, run away and re-set up your position. Don't try to punish him off of it, because the recovery lag on that is deceptively short, and the shielding pushes you back, so if you try to dash in to do something, he'll punish you for it without a doubt. Power Shielding may be a different story. It's 4 am, so I can't recall off the top of my head lmao.
~Pit's Down Tilt is really good and will probably be one of their go-to options on the ground if you're not at F-tilt's max range. Cooldown is pretty short on that, so I'd highly recommend just setting up your neutral position.
~Forward Air, Neutral Air, and Down Air are all auto-cancelable. Nair is deceptive and has weird hitboxes. Dair has a bigger hitbox from behind, so if he's facing away from you, he will probably use this. Predit their landing when they're using these moves and punish accordingly.
~Pit's dash attack is an amazing punish. If you do something laggy and you're not in ftilt range, you're probably going to eat a dash attack.
~The best area to have pit is 2 DHD lengths past his ftilt range. Pit's list of options is way smaller when he's in that range. He can walk/dash up to you and attempt to grab or put himself in a position advantage (if you see him doing this, I'd suggest running and pivot gunmaning or something similar so he has to rethink what he's doing), he can side-b (punish easily), he can dash attack (it comes out fast so be wary, but shield grab is very easy to get on this with its end lag), he can go into the air for one of his auto canceled aerials (if he falls into you, shield. If he goes away from you, you can dash and try to predict his landing with a grab or you can run away and reposition), and he can arrow you (you should be close enough in this scenario where you should be able to punish him post-arrow with a grab if you Power Shield the arrow [or even if you don't get the PS more than likely]).
~Do NOT spend too much time in the air against this guy. His short hop aerials beat yours out for the most part, and his up-tilt and up-smash both put you either in an awkward position where you can be juggled or in a situation where you're dead.
~Kill moves to look out for: The hit BEHIND Pit on Down-Smash, Back-air sweetspot, Forward-Tilt sweetspot, Forward-Smash, Up-Smash, Down-Air spike, Forward-Air gimp, Side-B.
~Forward Smash only kills on the second hit, but the second hit reaches far. Deceptive range.
~Up Smash kills earlier than you'd think, but you literally have to be above him for this to hit. If you're in kill percents, be on the ground as much as possible. Don't give him an opportunity to OoS Usmash you or punish you in the air with it. It will hurt more than you think.
~Down Smash kills if you hit with the part in front of him, but the part behind him kills quite a bit earlier.
~His reflector is pretty much a joke.
~The main things pit has going for him are that his moves come out quick, his aerial OoS options are really good, he has two awesome tilts + a deceptive up-tilt that comes out early and has weird hitboxes and priority, super armor on Side-B (if you want to punish a side-b, just shield and react afterwards. Trust me on this.), a pretty good juggle game with his up-air and neutral-air, down-throw combos early, solid forward-air gimps, and deceptive range or end-lag on his moves.
~If you're fighting custom Pit, you need to make your recovery WAY less predictable. He will go to custom arrows with more control, and you will get gimped REALLY hard. These arrows can hit you no matter where you are with how easy they are to control, and they will gimp you unless DHD has some weird up-b property regarding arrows that I'm not familiar with.

Just my thoughts on a random match-up lmao.

Everything I talked about applies to Dark Pit as well.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
DHD vs Pit notes in my opinion:

~If you can powershield arrows while directing a can at them, this will make them realize that they can't just continue to use arrows. Getting used to powershielding while directing your can is pretty important in this match-up.
~If they keep on using arrows a lot, put yourself in the medium range space where you can run when they start using the arrow, power shield when they use it, and dash grab them afterwards. Arrow has enough end lag where this should work if you're spacing this correctly.
~If you shield the very tip of a forward tilt, run away and re-set up your position. Don't try to punish him off of it, because the recovery lag on that is deceptively short, and the shielding pushes you back, so if you try to dash in to do something, he'll punish you for it without a doubt. Power Shielding may be a different story. It's 4 am, so I can't recall off the top of my head lmao.
~Pit's Down Tilt is really good and will probably be one of their go-to options on the ground if you're not at F-tilt's max range. Cooldown is pretty short on that, so I'd highly recommend just setting up your neutral position.
~Forward Air, Neutral Air, and Down Air are all auto-cancelable. Nair is deceptive and has weird hitboxes. Dair has a bigger hitbox from behind, so if he's facing away from you, he will probably use this. Predit their landing when they're using these moves and punish accordingly.
~Pit's dash attack is an amazing punish. If you do something laggy and you're not in ftilt range, you're probably going to eat a dash attack.
~The best area to have pit is 2 DHD lengths past his ftilt range. Pit's list of options is way smaller when he's in that range. He can walk/dash up to you and attempt to grab or put himself in a position advantage (if you see him doing this, I'd suggest running and pivot gunmaning or something similar so he has to rethink what he's doing), he can side-b (punish easily), he can dash attack (it comes out fast so be wary, but shield grab is very easy to get on this with its end lag), he can go into the air for one of his auto canceled aerials (if he falls into you, shield. If he goes away from you, you can dash and try to predict his landing with a grab or you can run away and reposition), and he can arrow you (you should be close enough in this scenario where you should be able to punish him post-arrow with a grab if you Power Shield the arrow [or even if you don't get the PS more than likely]).
~Do NOT spend too much time in the air against this guy. His short hop aerials beat yours out for the most part, and his up-tilt and up-smash both put you either in an awkward position where you can be juggled or in a situation where you're dead.
~Kill moves to look out for: The hit BEHIND Pit on Down-Smash, Back-air sweetspot, Forward-Tilt sweetspot, Forward-Smash, Up-Smash, Down-Air spike, Forward-Air gimp, Side-B.
~Forward Smash only kills on the second hit, but the second hit reaches far. Deceptive range.
~Up Smash kills earlier than you'd think, but you literally have to be above him for this to hit. If you're in kill percents, be on the ground as much as possible. Don't give him an opportunity to OoS Usmash you or punish you in the air with it. It will hurt more than you think.
~Down Smash kills if you hit with the part in front of him, but the part behind him kills quite a bit earlier.
~His reflector is pretty much a joke.
~The main things pit has going for him are that his moves come out quick, his aerial OoS options are really good, he has two awesome tilts + a deceptive up-tilt that comes out early and has weird hitboxes and priority, super armor on Side-B (if you want to punish a side-b, just shield and react afterwards. Trust me on this.), a pretty good juggle game with his up-air and neutral-air, down-throw combos early, solid forward-air gimps, and deceptive range or end-lag on his moves.
~If you're fighting custom Pit, you need to make your recovery WAY less predictable. He will go to custom arrows with more control, and you will get gimped REALLY hard. These arrows can hit you no matter where you are with how easy they are to control, and they will gimp you unless DHD has some weird up-b property regarding arrows that I'm not familiar with.

Just my thoughts on a random match-up lmao.

Everything I talked about applies to Dark Pit as well.
Wow, this is a huge dose of info.

Could you condense it into a strategy though? This is more like tricks that work against Pit (and Dark Pit) players. It's helpful, but hard to apply for people who are inexperienced in the MU.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Don't fall into his deceptively low ending lag moves (Ftilt, Dtilt, all of his aerials auto cancel), learn to b-reverse well to trick him when he tries to juggle you as he has a really great juggle game, stay in mid-range against him, don't fall into forward smash (the range is very deceptive and is longer on the second hit than the first hit), avoid using a lot of laggy moves as his dash attack is an amazing punish, his kill moves are predictable and avoidable aside from forward tilt (Dsmash second hit, Fsmash second hit, Usmash, Bair sweetspot, Side-b) so punish any of his obvious kill attempts. His recovery is very gimpable as well.

Does that work?

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Don't fall into his deceptively low ending lag moves (Ftilt, Dtilt, all of his aerials auto cancel), learn to b-reverse well to trick him when he tries to juggle you as he has a really great juggle game, stay in mid-range against him, don't fall into forward smash (the range is very deceptive and is longer on the second hit than the first hit), avoid using a lot of laggy moves as his dash attack is an amazing punish, his kill moves are predictable and avoidable aside from forward tilt (Dsmash second hit, Fsmash second hit, Usmash, Bair sweetspot, Side-b) so punish any of his obvious kill attempts. His recovery is very gimpable as well.

Does that work?
Works! Thanks!

Spirst

For Mega Man:

All his projectiles other than Metal Blade and Leaf Shield can be beaten with our own (including his fully charged fsmash). Watch out for the fsmash punish on landing. A shorthopped clay pigeon (smash, not tilted) can get through the lemons and you'll be able to detonate it. If not, it'll trade and nothing happens to you. Don't stay at midrange too long as he has the upperhand there since our projectiles are too slow and he's too far for us to hit him. Learn to powershield approach, definitely. The utilt can KO us in the 80 % region and the bair can wreck our recovery. Ideally, you want to stay out of lemon range and harass him with gunmen and clay pigeons so you can get in close. Mega Man lacks any "get off of me" quick moves so weaving in and out works here. Fair pokes can help circumvent his midrange camping and with it being disjointed, it's safe on shield to avoid any dthrow-fair followups. An fsmash can KO him from the center of FD at about 115% and is great for punishing his landings. We have more mobility options/adaptability than he does so make the most of it.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I have a guide somewhere in the DH forums, you wouldn't mind me linking your MU/stage post on my guide? This seems pretty rad. :drshrug:
woahwoahwoahWOAH WOAH

HEY! HEY!!!! >=T

...is that a drifloon? :3

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So like, I can't put a link to this post on my guide? I think I needed to clarify. :L
Sure go ahead whatever, is that a drifloon? :3 It's cute. What's it name?

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Yes, it is Drifloon, although I don't name pokemon, too lazy. Here's an MU on Link:

Link and Duck Hunt are a pretty even match. Link has his bombs, arrows, and his boomerang. Let's focus on the boomerang first. His boomerang, if placed well in the air, can actually push you towards him, or away - whatever. Anyways, if you do manage to get placed near him with the boomerang, expect the can to hurt you unless you can perfectly shield the explosion. My recommended suggestion for this situation is to roll away from the boomerang, since you can easily avoid the wind pushing you towards/away from him. The boomerang can be deadly since Link uses it for attacks. Next, the bombs. Remember that you can grab the bombs, which is the most recommended thing to do if Link ever pressures you with bombs. Moves to watch out for with Link are his down-smash, which is very fast with little ending lag. Can-shield if Link gets too close, since Link is more of a close-range kinda guy with Duck Hunt. Another move to watch out for are his arrows, which break clay pigeons, and cause the can to other move in an opposite direction, or near detonation, explode. Being quick with Link is your main game, especially since his grab is a long reach. While using your can, Link has the opportunity to dash towards you, pass the can. Usually I dash off stage since I'm usually near the ledge, but if you're still in your shield while the can is moving, simply roll. It's best to grab Link and throw him off stage, since Link doesn't have the greatest off-stage combat. Time your dair right, and you'll a spike, but watch for Link's up-b, which obviously damages anyone above him.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Yes, it is Drifloon, although I don't name pokemon, too lazy. Here's an MU on Link:

Link and Duck Hunt are a pretty even match. Link has his bombs, arrows, and his boomerang. Let's focus on the boomerang first. His boomerang, if placed well in the air, can actually push you towards him, or away - whatever. Anyways, if you do manage to get placed near him with the boomerang, expect the can to hurt you unless you can perfectly shield the explosion. My recommended suggestion for this situation is to roll away from the boomerang, since you can easily avoid the wind pushing you towards/away from him. The boomerang can be deadly since Link uses it for attacks. Next, the bombs. Remember that you can grab the bombs, which is the most recommended thing to do if Link ever pressures you with bombs. Moves to watch out for with Link are his down-smash, which is very fast with little ending lag. Can-shield if Link gets too close, since Link is more of a close-range kinda guy with Duck Hunt. Another move to watch out for are his arrows, which break clay pigeons, and cause the can to other move in an opposite direction, or near detonation, explode. Being quick with Link is your main game, especially since his grab is a long reach. While using your can, Link has the opportunity to dash towards you, pass the can. Usually I dash off stage since I'm usually near the ledge, but if you're still in your shield while the can is moving, simply roll. It's best to grab Link and throw him off stage, since Link doesn't have the greatest off-stage combat. Time your dair right, and you'll a spike, but watch for Link's up-b, which obviously damages anyone above him.
Wha?! Why not?! It needs a name =[ I forbid you from linking pages until you give the cutie pie a proper name!

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Stagelist!

Both Versions:

Battlefield

Wispy: My preferred stage for harder MU's against DH. Platforms give you more space to maneuver and escape pressure. Platforms also allow for traps on multiple layers of traps / good defensive coverage.

Up-air and can kills are much easier to land, since you have platforms to boost you up higher.

Final Destination

Oops, accidently replied. Sorry >.<

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I think duck hunt's own stage is his worst stage. Those ducks and non-damaging hazards really impede your ability to stage control the air and often the cans explode in your face.

I always ban that **** when legal.

Spirst

I think duck hunt's own stage is his worst stage. Those ducks and non-damaging hazards really impede your ability to stage control the air and often the cans explode in your face.

I always ban that **** when legal.
Kind of like Melee Ness in Fourside. Gets wrecked by his own home stage.

Last edited:

Spirst

Bumping this to let everyone know this is now the official MU/stage discussion thread and as such, it has been stickied.

Out of curiosity, given the current metagame, what do you guys think of the Diddy matchup? I feel like it would seem that Diddy>DH easily but in practice, I'm not so sure. Diddy's banana game is hard to get going as it gets canceled when tossed at any of the projectiles and with DH being a strong trap character/zoner, Diddy has to work to get in. Also, Diddy's horizontal momentum is pretty atrocious and I don't believe his aerials can beat out our disjointed ones. I believe Diddy can frame trap with the dthrow>uair but with it not being so easy to land a grab on a competent DH, it's not as simple a strategy.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Bumping this to let everyone know this is now the official MU/stage discussion thread and as such, it has been stickied.

Out of curiosity, given the current metagame, what do you guys think of the Diddy matchup? I feel like it would seem that Diddy>DH easily but in practice, I'm not so sure. Diddy's banana game is hard to get going as it gets canceled when tossed at any of the projectiles and with DH being a strong trap character/zoner, Diddy has to work to get in. Also, Diddy's horizontal momentum is pretty atrocious and I don't believe his aerials can beat out our disjointed ones. I believe Diddy can frame trap with the dthrow>uair but with it not being so easy to land a grab on a competent DH, it's not as simple a strategy.
Yea. DH is not easy to grab at all, and diddy has poor options for dealing with our projectiles. He negates the hell out of diddy. Diddy even has trouble getting his banana out, since DH punishes landings so well. Jumping like that needs to be done really carefully, especially on stages with platforms.

Diddy struggles getting in just like any other character, his projectile game is enveloped by our own.

Furthermore, we can hold onto the banana and harass him with specials. Similar to Rob's gyro, it isn't as potent as pocketing it with villager, but it does lock us both out of options. This is only worth it during the neutral game when he is at low percent, or when you're in kill percent and he isn't. Even if it's harder to use, the banana helps him kill and we can slow the game down to a point where we can drag his percent up with projectiles while holding onto his nana.

I'd imagine the banana along with duck hunt's projectiles would make for interesting edgeguard options for diddy, due to his predictable recovery.

I have too little experience against good diddy players to claim any absolutes, but in theory it should definitely be at least equal.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I would like to offer some input on the Duck Hunt vs. Link Match-up. Specifically on the matter of custom moves (Mega Gunman in this case). DH's Mega Gunman can force Link to approach you. Through my experience, this will give DH the advantage on the match-up. Of course, if the Link player can stay put and block your projectiles but you will be safe for the amount of time the Mega Gunman is up or at least for 25% worth of damage and then repeat the cycle. It does give DH an edge but I do not see it being more than 55:45. In the end the Mega Gunman is a temporary "shield".

As a side note, I did pick up Duck Hunt as a secondary a few weeks ago. So feel free to correct me if you spot anything incorrect.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Nah mega gunmen does screw over other projectile users. Threatens their position an absorbs their stuff.

I think the matchup is more in our favor though, even without it. link is easy to damage off-stage and our regular projectiles beat his, even the trades he gets, he's investing more into his end than we are usually. He has way more issues getting in than we do. Just approaching when he as a bomb lets us use it against him cause we can shield it and it can contribute to our stage control since it bounces so slow.

The main issue is uair is unreliable due to his dair.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Yea. DH is not easy to grab at all, and diddy has poor options for dealing with our projectiles. He negates the hell out of diddy. Diddy even has trouble getting his banana out, since DH punishes landings so well. Jumping like that needs to be done really carefully, especially on stages with platforms.

Diddy struggles getting in just like any other character, his projectile game is enveloped by our own.

Furthermore, we can hold onto the banana and harass him with specials. Similar to Rob's gyro, it isn't as potent as pocketing it with villager, but it does lock us both out of options. This is only worth it during the neutral game when he is at low percent, or when you're in kill percent and he isn't. Even if it's harder to use, the banana helps him kill and we can slow the game down to a point where we can drag his percent up with projectiles while holding onto his nana.

I'd imagine the banana along with duck hunt's projectiles would make for interesting edgeguard options for diddy, due to his predictable recovery.

I have too little experience against good diddy players to claim any absolutes, but in theory it should definitely be at least equal.
Doesn't Diddy get his banana back if he down-b's again?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Thanks for the bump. I'll be making the thread look more pretty once the weekend is over, as I work nights on the weekend.

I'll put what everyone's said in the top later and move details from the stage discussion thread @ DunnoBro DunnoBro made earlier over to this thread.

Thoughts on Wuhu Island? Not a big fan but if it's going to be legal, it may be the most campy of all maps.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Zero experience there. Not legal for xanadu so never practiced. Might as well start tho

After smash laddering on lylat a bit, I'm really convinced it is in fact our best starter.

*If you shoot clay from the ledges, inwards... The clay shot is often shot super low when they hit the opponent, so even if it hits their shield, it won't bounce above it for some taller characters, and can more effectively lock them in their shields or force a roll.

*Do be aware that when the stage is leaning towards your ledge, the clay shot can slide into the floor, and stop. This can be both good and bad, as the distance the stop at and the length they stay there is pretty interesting.

*The clay shot often gets stuck on the higher platforms of tossed from the air. However, it ONLY DOES THIS WHEN DESCENDING. Near the beginning it goes through, at the end when it's slow it gets stuck. Personally I think this makes it better as the full hop toss now has a use. It locks them on the ground, and you can pull out gunmen to hopefully get them to jump. The platform HIDES the clayshot really well. The camera won't show it as it won't be in the proper angle unless someone is above the platforms.

*Whenever the stage just begins to tilt, even if it isn't in that direction, a can on the outerplatforms will slide off.

*The lower ledges when the stage is neutral gives the clay shots much more potent angles for edgeguarding.

*Harassing most characters offstage becomes more potent due to the thin stage demanding more precise recoveries. With our slow and constant trajectory changing recovery, it doesn't hurt us much. The main issue is the less forgiving range the can will start bouncing back at, as it'll get stuck under the stage.

*The platforms are all at the absolute perfect height. Unlike BF, they really compliment our game. When threatening landings, we can let the can fall on them to let us throw out a retreating aerial, then the cans higher starting point from the platform can continue the chase while we land and keep the pressure up more consistently.

There's a lot of interactions with the can and the platforms, really. They also act more efficiently as combo breakers when sitting up there. In both of my ladder matches on lylat, I converted one of their combos into my kills with a platorm can.

*Reverse bair shots happen much more often, and are also more potent with this set-up since they start higher, but the fall speed lets them be used as if bair shot from the ground too. It's also much quicker and easier to bair a can on the ledges. Just full hop > bair, instead of short hop/full hop > wait > bair if it was on the ground.

*Recovering high, over the ledge is much more potent and safer since the can can stop on the lower platforms before us and threaten enemies hovering around our landing point. Just don't do this too often.

*Smashing the clay shot into the can becomes very useful, as depending on if you activated the clayshot or not, the can will either land on a platform, or back on the ground. This is great for punishing landings, especially of floaty chars with multiple jumps or pseudo-jumps.

Some iffy stuff:

*Fsmash now pretty much never hits an enemy hanging on the ledge. It does however go at a better angle to punish enemies off-stage.

*DHD can uair through the bottom of lylat. With a can on the lip, we may have some ledge camping options. He can also go under the stage right after uairing if you missed, or in general afraid of your lack of invincibility. This could be very helpful when you're struggling to get back into neutral.

*Downthrow to set them up around the platforms seems to have a lot of potent options with the can. Try to get the can between the platforms, then punish their landing on the platforms. Uair and nair are especially difficult to air dodge through since it'll catch them on the platforms with longlasting hitboxes.

Also according to this, across the board lylat gets earlier kills. http://smashboards.com/threads/stage-blastzone-differences.381949/

Duck hunt really needs that imo

Last edited by a moderator:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Gonna try looking into pilotwings next. Delfino is still probably our best CP imo, but pilot might be a good consolation against poor recovery chars.

During the red plane portion, putting a can on the top platform while we camp below seems almost unbreakable for most chars. If they choose to camp theretoo, our fsmash can catch them by surprise since it goes through the stage. Furthermore, we can time the shots of the can so it'll explode while above them. Not much, but gives us the advantage during that portion.

The constantly teetering edges make some recoveries very iffy and fail to sweet-spot.

The bottoms of the stage which let us rise through make recovering easier. Just drop a can onto the stage, then rise through the stage behind it. The can walls the enemy for us.

*on the red plane portion, you can use the middle of the plane as a wall too.

I think this might be a good stage to take ledgecamp chars, like WFT, villager, etc. Moreso than delfino, anyway.

Diddy might have trouble with the ledges, too.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
On the topic of Duck Hunt's stage: This is actually one of my favorite stages to pick, mainly because this stage offers a wide variety of creative can and Gunmen usage (killing the birds, then placing the can or gunmen atop the dog that will rise, or placing them on the trees and bush).

While this stage can screw you over if you're not careful, everything on it is predictable and not random (EXCEPT where the bush spawns I believe), so if you're wise, you can avoid having your stuff messed up. My only true gripe is that if you **** up, the birds can set off the can and eat your sideB hitbox.

However, I do think it's a matter of preference.

My favorite stages for DHD are Town and City (personal favorite stage), Duck Hunt, and any FD stage.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Bump. Added thoughts for Wuhu Island and Castle Siege. I'm going off the Anther's Ladder stagelist as for now, since it's the one I've practiced most. I will also be adding some MU's for some fighters, since they are already written on my iPod, they just need to be transferred here.

Some stages that need adding are as follows: Smashville, Lylat, Town and City, Kongo Jungle and Isle Delfino. I saw some discussion about some of the stages above, though if you guys could condense them into clear, cut details, then I will add them, so we can stay organized, and I can properly credit opinions.

Stage discussion is probably my first priority of what I feel should be filled out first, since stages really do matter a ton for projectiles users, especially doggy. Guys have any thoughts on Castle Siege? I have a hard time pinning wether it's good or bad...

Edit: If there are any other stages you guys feel I should add, just let me know. With the stagelist meta still evolving, I wouldn't be surprised if more stages are added.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Castle Siege is so...ugh imo. It's bad for DHD imo because the first stage is so wacky and cramped, and the second kills your projectiles with the statues and you don't have the jump height required to abuse the platforms.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I think there should be a format for stage discussion. Something like...

Pros:
1: X
2: Y

Cons:
1: A
2: B

(Both should be simple, 1-3 sentence bullet points)

Verdict: Strike / Accept / Play

Clarification: (More in-depth about the previous if felt needed)
Characters/type of characters to take, or avoid here: (leave blank if unsure)

I'll use it for castle siege as an example.

Pros:
1: The first portion offers a small and easy to control stage with platforms placed rather efficiently for can shenanigans. Also, reverse shooting the can and still activating it near the ledge with the awkward lips, let it threaten the lip longer than usual. The platforms also provide easy opportunities to quickly and easily get these out there.

2: The walk off portion can be used to get some early kills with our wall of pain projectiles and combos.

Cons:
1: The second, walk off portion while which provides some gimmicks (mostly inconsistent) also almost completely remove our defensive options due to the statues. Rushdown characters have free reign of this portion, and with the super low blastzones meaning earlier kills, this can spell doom in any match.

Verdict: Strike!

The good the stage offers is outweighed by the bad. There are other stages that offer everything good about this stage for us, without that awful statue portion. With it both hindering our offensive and defensive options, while also allowing very early kills with the blastzones... Things can and will go wrong there.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
So I just went to my first Wii U tournament and realized that I have no idea how to deal with custom moves. Specifically Mario+.

I don't know what I could do against Fast Fireball Mario as DHD. I honestly didn't even try because I wanted the mobility Sheik gives me for that matchup (which was in the end an awful idea because I couldn't kill Mario).

Can someone give me tips for this? I'm 100% clueless about my options against Fastball Mario and anything like it as DHD (and Sheik, but that's for a different thread lol).

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
So what advice do people have for some more rush down type characters like Captain Falcon and Little Mac. More so Little Mac than Falcon since Mac is Super Armor McGee, making him a bit harder to trip up with pigeons and cans. I always have the most trouble with these two characters specifically, so any sort of advice would be nice.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Battlefield|Final Destination|Mario Circuit (Wii U)|Delfino Plaza
|
|
|
Wispy: My preferred stage for harder MU's against DH. Platforms give you more space to maneuver and escape pressure. Platforms also allow for traps on multiple layers of traps / good defensive coverage. Up-air and can kills are much easier to land, since you have platforms to boost you up higher.|
Wispy: Great stage for taking advantage of MU's in favor of DH. Linear design makes controlling space very easy. Not recommended for harder MU's since you will be juggled.
|
NEEDS INFO
|
NEEDS INFO

Skyloft|Halberd|Lylat Cruise|Pokemon Stadium 2
|
|
|

NEEDS INFO
|
NEEDS INFO
|
NEEDS INFO
|
NEEDS INFO

Town and City|Smashville|Duck Hunt|Wuhu Island
|
|
|

Wispy: Not particularly great for doggy, due to high platforms. Manageable, but play a lot like FD. Platforms can either save you from combos or make more happen due to predictable techs as well. Not horrible, but not great
|
Wispy: Really a nice neutral stage for everyone. Moving platform can make can placement annoying, but great for escaping pressure and resetting a situation. Controlling space here is not too difficult either and being able to safely pressure someone on the platform with a disjointed Fair is very nice.
|
DunnoBro: I think duck hunt's own stage is his worst stage. Those ducks and non-damaging hazards really impede your ability to stage control the air and often the cans explode in your face. I always ban that **** when legal. --- Wispy: Ducks make mid-field play with can a damn nightmare, but the bush on right and trees to the left make interesting spots to place cans. Also, randomly appearing bushes make traps on the bottom much harder to counter (throwing clay, setting can and gunmen, etc). Not great for DH, but if taken there, you can manage.
|
Wispy: Great stage for doggy but do not agree for it being legal. Huge size of stage is great for defensive play, most transformations don't hurt doggy too much. Boat transformation is a tad annoying. Basically a larger FD with some randomness. Playing a chip damage support is very easy here in doubles.

Kongo Jungle 64|Castle Siege|Windy Hill Zone|Miiverse
|
|
|

NEEDS INFO
|
Wispy: Both good and bad for doggy. First stage (assault on the rampart) is pretty small, excellent for controlling space. Platforms are quite small, which allows for easy control with cans. Gunmen are odd to use here, with the incline in the middle of stage. Same for clay pigeons, but not as badly affected. Mid transformation sequences are basically FD, I use them to position myself for the next portion of the map. The Throne Room is not nice to can or clays due to the statues, but Gunmen excel here, due to their piercing shots and lack of incline in most of the area (save for the tarps on the top left and right of map). Statues will protect you and gunmen from other non-piercing projectiles until they break. Last transformation is a very small, FD-esque platform in Fire Emblem's version of the underworld (I think). Not too bad, though the tilting can mess up gunmen and clays. A good counterpick to throw off opponents, though needs a more solid strategy with more analysis.
|
NEEDS INFO
|
For When It Exists!

Think this might help out with some of your stage organizational fun?

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Battlefield|Final Destination|Mario Circuit (Wii U)|Delfino Plaza
|
|
|
Wispy: My preferred stage for harder MU's against DH. Platforms give you more space to maneuver and escape pressure. Platforms also allow for traps on multiple layers of traps / good defensive coverage. Up-air and can kills are much easier to land, since you have platforms to boost you up higher.|
Wispy: Great stage for taking advantage of MU's in favor of DH. Linear design makes controlling space very easy. Not recommended for harder MU's since you will be juggled.
|
NEEDS INFO
|
NEEDS INFO

Skyloft|Halberd|Lylat Cruise|Pokemon Stadium 2
|
|
|

NEEDS INFO
|
NEEDS INFO
|
NEEDS INFO
|
NEEDS INFO

Town and City|Smashville|Duck Hunt|Wuhu Island
|
|
|

Wispy: Not particularly great for doggy, due to high platforms. Manageable, but play a lot like FD. Platforms can either save you from combos or make more happen due to predictable techs as well. Not horrible, but not great
|
Wispy: Really a nice neutral stage for everyone. Moving platform can make can placement annoying, but great for escaping pressure and resetting a situation. Controlling space here is not too difficult either and being able to safely pressure someone on the platform with a disjointed Fair is very nice.
|
DunnoBro: I think duck hunt's own stage is his worst stage. Those ducks and non-damaging hazards really impede your ability to stage control the air and often the cans explode in your face. I always ban that **** when legal. --- Wispy: Ducks make mid-field play with can a damn nightmare, but the bush on right and trees to the left make interesting spots to place cans. Also, randomly appearing bushes make traps on the bottom much harder to counter (throwing clay, setting can and gunmen, etc). Not great for DH, but if taken there, you can manage.
|
Wispy: Great stage for doggy but do not agree for it being legal. Huge size of stage is great for defensive play, most transformations don't hurt doggy too much. Boat transformation is a tad annoying. Basically a larger FD with some randomness. Playing a chip damage support is very easy here in doubles.

Kongo Jungle 64|Castle Siege|Windy Hill Zone|Miiverse
|
|
|

NEEDS INFO
|
Wispy: Both good and bad for doggy. First stage (assault on the rampart) is pretty small, excellent for controlling space. Platforms are quite small, which allows for easy control with cans. Gunmen are odd to use here, with the incline in the middle of stage. Same for clay pigeons, but not as badly affected. Mid transformation sequences are basically FD, I use them to position myself for the next portion of the map. The Throne Room is not nice to can or clays due to the statues, but Gunmen excel here, due to their piercing shots and lack of incline in most of the area (save for the tarps on the top left and right of map). Statues will protect you and gunmen from other non-piercing projectiles until they break. Last transformation is a very small, FD-esque platform in Fire Emblem's version of the underworld (I think). Not too bad, though the tilting can mess up gunmen and clays. A good counterpick to throw off opponents, though needs a more solid strategy with more analysis.
|
NEEDS INFO
|
For When It Exists!

Think this might help out with some of your stage organizational fun?

<3

Cappu-Kun<3

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I think I blurred the lines between smashville and town & city too much. Regular smashville is actually a pretty good dhd stage after objectively reviewing and playing on it with a new mindset.

Smashville:

Pros:

1: Offers unique edgeguarding, and pressuring options with the low moving platform.
2: Helps us with landing/recovery options, while not really helping out opponents due to our absurd platform pressure options.
3: Setting up, and establishing stage control from the platform seems very powerful and difficult to interrupt, as a single can in front of dhd on the platform means the opponent generally only has one way to approach, below and thus easier to predict and punish.

Cons:
1: Trick shot can be locked out of the neutral game if you're not careful, however it's much more manageable than on town and city, where any platform pressuring with trick shot could result in this.

Verdict: Play

After lylat, I think this is our best starter. I originally thought battlefield was, but I will explain the issues with BF later.
One especially intriguing aspect of this stage, is how full hop soft tossing the clay shots cover the entire platform, and are very slow thus can effectively remove it as a safe landing option for the opponent. This is important as before I sent the can up there, which worked to seal it but then I didn't have it for the neutral game!

Furthermore, if they get hit by the clay shot while the platform is by the sides, with delayed shots and you can convert that into an early kill combo with a rar bair, or a late % one with fair.

Battlefield:
Pros:

1: Platforms magnify our pressure and stage control
2: Enables long vertical strings and kills with the high middle platform

Cons:
1: Regaining momentum/stage control is much harder, especially when other chars make better use of the platforms than us.
2: Top platform essentially locks the can out of neutral. Remedied by shooting off, but it only goes to the other platforms which there's no guarantee will be part of the neutral either.

Verdict: Accept*

I believe this to be the most deceiving starter stage. I used to like it for a long time, when you're winning it helps you keep winning. But when you're losing? The fact the platforms cover the entirety of the stage from above means when landing, you only have so many options in regards to can placement. Getting the can to mid-stage doesn't really help you as you need to take the time to kill your momentum to shoot it there through the platforms generally.

However, I placed an asterisk here because it can still be a useful stage. Essentially, if the opponent is a character with poor platform pressure(sonic, fox, etc) you may want to come here anyway. In which case it can be a Play.

I would recommend still playing on and getting used to the stage, and learn how to avoid the negatives. I personally am focusing on using the other projectiles more for air control, and using the can for ground/lower platform control. Keeping the can grounded seems key for securing your landing.

Town and City:

Pros:

1: Super high platforms can enable early vertical kills with can/uair.
2: Platforms also offer very pleasing landing options generally.

Cons:

1: The high platforms during the 3-platform portion demand more shots and time for the can to pressure, and don't let us really punish an opponent jumping to avoid it. The clay shot also goes too low to punish an enemy on the side platforms unless you double jump.
2: The two platform portion still has the platform fairly over the stage so they don't make good camping spots like the SV platorm.
3: The platforms also very easily lock the can out of the neutral. They move and swarm the stage a lot, and even if you knew their ambiguous off-screen location by being familiar enough with the stage, they still won't really be in favorable positions for can placement.

Verdict: Strike!

Worst starter generally. These platforms actually enable enemies good options for dealing with our projectiles, as well as more efficient pure rushdown since we can't kick out a can whenever to slow them down.

(However, against heavily ground based characters like little mac, link, villager, bowser jr, etc it might be worth playing.)

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Pokemon stadium 2:

Pros:

1: Transformations all good for DHD

2: Very good against less free movement characters. Fox, sonic, and little mac seem to struggle with the transformations

Cons:

1: The transformations could threaten our stage control.

2: Very difficult to get used to the stage with all of DHD's gimmicks.

Verdict: Play

This might even be better than delfino, as certain characters with superb aerial mobility aren't as comfortable here.

Every transformation seems to help us.

Air: Can moves normally whereas the enemy is floaty and their air dodges much less capable of avoiding the can. Kills extremely early. Also, uair combos into itself from the ground if you keep your double jump, and can kill absurdly early as well. The dog is pretty much untouchable during this portion with his projectiles, and I believe beats out even the most godlike of multi-jumpers.

Ground: On the right side, it has some lovely platforms. The can bounces off the middle mound for reverse shots, making it much more potent when fighting on that side.

On the left side, it's mostly good for camping and trying to get some free damage. Can on the platform, and keep slamming clay shots into the mound where it will sit like a landmine.

Your charged fsmash can also go through it from the platform though I don't see much use in that.

Electric: Getting the can mid-stage ensures stage control. It has a knack of forcing people near the ledge where we can take advantage. Trick shot can also stay on the conveyor belt by shooting it forward after it moves back. If you're struggling for stage control, use that.

Standard: Generally good platform placement, would be a good stage for us alone.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Advice against Samus? Maybe its just For Glory modes stag choice limited to FD, but I find her among the most annoying matchups when playing DH.

• Gunmen seem a lot less useful in here than other MUs, since just her missiles kill them in one hit. I can still shield myself from her projectiles, but I can't use them to pressure her like I do to most everyone else.
  • Her UpB OoS terrorizes me at high percents.
  • Missiles seem to destroy my clay pigeons very easily
  • Her Charged Shot is scary to go up against wen I try to recover back, and scary to go against in general.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The can works better to tank her projectiles. Get the can in between the two of you, then use gunmen. It can punish the endlag of her projectiles while can actually absorbs them. Also better to short hop the gunmen so you land in front of them. This lets you cover more for them with your own shield, and put you in deeper to punish her if your stuff connects.

4/5 of the gunmen will also pop your can forward for you to begin approaching with.

Spirst

The Mega Gunmen isn't a bad idea against Samus when customs are allowed. Mega Gunmen, unlike the regular gunmen, will eat a number of her missiles with getting KOd. You lose out on the pressure ability but negate her missiles for the most part and can be pretty safe from charge shot for a few seconds. Charge shot, while scary, isn't THAT big a deal considering it's cancelled by all 3 of our specials (which is hilarious).

Top Bottom