• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk's Sliding Forward Smash

BercilakMK

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I figured this out in the wake of the whole Bidou thing. I screwed around with a bunch of characters, found out I didn't like Bidou, so just went with playing around with Shulk instead. Interestingly, if you do a perfect pivot with Mr. Monado, and you time it just at the right time, a Forward Smash can start, while allowing Shulk to continue his perfect pivot momentum. This is usually reserved for up/down smashes on other characters, but in Shulk's case, I felt this was extremely beneficial for abusing his already massive range, and an unpredictable retreat/approach option to boot!

I'm sure I'm not the first to find this, so please feel free to let me know if this is widely known/used, but I haven't seen a thread about the sliding forward smash in particular anywhere.

Below is a very simple video showing a bit of a how-to, and some of its applications from my games yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5VyxcZegU

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Sliding Fsmash works for anyone, but is easiest to notice if A) the character's perfect pivot goes far, B) Fsmash is input as soon as possible, which is not easy, or C) Bidou or Smash C-stick are used, making perfect pivot fsmash much easier to input frame perfect. I use this a lot with Pikachu. Don't forget you can Fsmash in the opposite direction to cover a retreat while sliding backwards!

BercilakMK

Smash Rookie
Sliding Fsmash works for anyone, but is easiest to notice if A) the character's perfect pivot goes far, B) Fsmash is input as soon as possible, which is not easy, or C) Bidou or Smash C-stick are used, making perfect pivot fsmash much easier to input frame perfect. I use this a lot with Pikachu. Don't forget you can Fsmash in the opposite direction to cover a retreat while sliding backwards!
I guess it's more noticeable with Shulk because of his longer pivot then. Pretty useful for him though I feel, just because his range is already so long.

BercilakMK

Smash Rookie
Shulk doesn't have the best range in the game though. Not even on fsmash.
Perhaps I should have worded it differently. He has the longest weapon in the game, with the longest reach on SOME moves. Also I've screwed around with other characters and it actually looks like some of them can't sliding forward smash. Keep in mind this is different than a perfect pivot then an F smash, rather it's an F smash that executes DURING the perfect pivot. Much like many characters can't slide their forward tilts but have to wait for the pivot to end, it seems some have the same issue with smashes. Captain falcon for example has a huge pivot but from what I can tell he is unable to f smash during it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom