• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
So I started playing XCX yesterday. First impressions - wow this story is slow. Like I wanted to get to the Chapter 4 story mission and I couldn't do that until I explored 15% of Primordia and completed some missions. Except a lot of the probes need to be Mechanical level 2 or 3 to plant, and I foolishly chose to raise my architecture level. Why. So I try to do missions to raise my Blade level to get mech level 2, but a lot of them are on another continent, and are the awful "get a bunch of this thing" type quest. I am not that strong. After finding a lot of those things you have to open by pressing A a bunch, I was able to get 16% and continue with the story. It was kind of a drag.

Also there is so much to learn. This game feels really different from XC in almost every way. Like the battle feels different, quests are way more important (everything seems to be done through quests). Topple seems to last less, the cooldown for the Topple art is ridiculous, I have a really hard time targeting enemies (I have to basically cycle through every one because the game has a very different idea from me of what "left" and "right" are), the story seems less important (and most people seem to agree about that, which is a shame because I loved XC's story and characters), and everything feels huge. Traveling is another chore.

Right now I'm almost having like a fear-based response where I'm like "this isn't how XC did it!!?!" but I'm trying to soldier on and not compare every aspect of it. It's hard because XC was one of my favorite games, but I want to give it a fair chance. I don't even have a Skell yet (where is my own personal Metal Face), so I'm really far from anything happening.
That survey rate really killed the mood for me for the beginning part of the game for me. Then later I found out that you don't have to place probes all over the place to get the survey rate up. If you complete a objective in the hexagonal space on the map it will give you survey points. funny enough Nintendo release a video to explain all that.
This game would be better off if it didn't have that survey crap that we have to do. I'm enjoying the affinity missions, they help me get to know the characters in this world and it helps me feel for them in the story mode they are like mini stories in the game. And after chapter 5 in the story I having gotten a survey rate objective any more Yet but I'm more prepared for it now than I was before . Also I enjoying the story so far, not like the first Xenoblade but it not like Mario in the story department so I can live with that.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I heard stuff like that, that was what I was afraid of. But do you like it regardless or does it boggle down the quality for you?
I'm holding off judging it until now, because I've still got the "THIS ISN'T XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2.0" mindset and I'm trying to approach it on its own merits instead of constantly comparing it to XC. I'll say this - the game is huge. You think Xenoblade is huge, but this game goes even bigger. Like, there are so many things I haven't even tried out yet, so it doesn't feel right to give a verdict. A lot of games I love have slow beginnings, or I struggled at the beginning, so I can't say anything yet.

Has anyone else here been struck by how different this game is to XC1? I haven't seen people really comparing the two, surprisingly.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
From what I hear (because RIP free time to play XCX), what it lacks in plot it makes up for in how incredibly well fleshed-out the Affinity Quests are. They've all got meaningful stories of their own and helps build the story in that way.

Anyone else turn off the miiverse posts?
The L+A posts were pissing me off.
I love life in NLA (New L+A).

I'm still playing Xenoblade and I have a question.

I'm almost 50 hours in and I'm at the part where Egil started moving the Mechonis. Gadolt died (or so it would seem), and the Allied Forces got messed up by the Mechonis sword moving.

Am I actually far? Halfway? Not even that?

It really feels like I'm at a climax, but I keep hearing people say it takes 100 hours or more just to complete the story here.
I don't want to be a jerk by coming along and saying "You're wrong", but I don't agree with parts of what Sol0ke said.

I'd have called "halfway" to be around Prison Island / Sword Valley, you're waaaaaay beyond halfway if the Mechonis is moving. I'd call it maybe ~75% through the plot.

I finished XC at 80 hours having done a decent chunk of the sidequests, myself. If you've stuck to the story I could see that play time being reasonable. You'll need well beyond 100 hours to do everything that there is to do in the game though.

There is some "post-game" stuff, but... it depends on how you define "post-game". There's quite a few quests that require levels way beyond endgame and something like 4-6 superbosses (Lv.100+), but it all technically become accessible before you've finished the game. You get access after progressing beyond a certain plot point that you're yet to reach.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
No worries AlvisCPU AlvisCPU looks like I don't remember exactly everything about Xenoblade as I thought.
Good to know, haha :) Yeah, after that point I think what's left is...
Fighting Egil, Zanza gets revived and the following events, Bionis' Interior, Prison Island, Zanza.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
From what I hear (because RIP free time to play XCX), what it lacks in plot it makes up for in how incredibly well fleshed-out the Affinity Quests are. They've all got meaningful stories of their own and helps build the story in that way.
Yes, the game unlike the original Xenoblade, is not as entwined with the main storyline. The main story itself takes place in small chapters which you undertake as missions between your exploring and BLADE "activities". The core of the game is exploration and missions. Although the gathering and killing (basic) missions should be taken while exploring itself.

The side story primarily improves through the affinity missions like you said. Gives many characters a time to shine, even the much more optional characters who don't focus in the storyline (since Elma and Lin have to be taken to every story mission).

Basic missions, the missions that you get from other people also help out, sometimes giving interesting side-stories or unlocking cool stuff that you otherwise would have missed out on.

Just got my Skell to fly yesterday so now exploring previously unreachable regions. The high level mobs still pose a problem though. And leveling up all the optional party members.... since benched ones don't get any xp >.<

Loving the gamepad more than ever for off-TV play though! Cause my TV got busted and will probably get repaired in a day or two....

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Some say that there's an overabundance of Fire Emblem characters in Smash. I say there's not enough.

CORRIN HYPE!

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Not gonna lie, I saw Corrin and was like

"Promoting Fates? Maybe they'll promote Xenoblade X as well?"

needless to say I was sad

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
So the stream...HOOOLY CRAP!!! CORRIN AND BAYONETTA IN SMASH?! I'm less surprised about Corrin being in smash then Bayonetta being in. I will now give you one of my favorite quotes that many including myself said during the stream. *DO YOU THINK I CARE ABOUT WOLF AFTER SEEING BAYONETTA?!* I do care but I still said it. At first I thought it was honestly Goku because of the speed that the camera was zooming in, but sadly it wasn't Goku...I got a 4th waifu instead. (Robin, Lucina, Corrin, and Bayonetta.) Bayonetta is a weird waifu but I DO NOT CARE!!!

Btw...Corrin having more range then Shulk is dumb. Shulk is still the master of range.
Bayonetta is OP...Just dem combos are insane.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I have Cloud.

thoughts:

probably mid-low tbh, same as Shulk.
Jab is pretty cool. sometimes you can fall off stage and combo into a nair accidentally (I did it like twice and haven't been able to replicate it)
Dtilt is nice, probably gonna be a really good get off me option.
Usmash is super laggy
Side Special (Cross Slash?) doesn't really work all that well, people just fall out. Can't continue it if you don't land the first hit
his recovery sucks. Not a lot of range, barely any sweetspot
Limit Charge (Break?) (Down B) is cancellable like storeable projectiles. not too shabby. Doesn't carry over through stocks though
Sword Wave (?) (Neutral B) is not bad. fairly fast, fairly large.
no combo throws
uair is a fairly good juggling tool
Nair, Bair, UAir SHAC. Dair and Fair FHAC.
Nair has the same utility as Ike's and Shulk's
bair is a lot like Mii Swordfighters but with more range
Dair has a deceptively long lasting hitbox
Fair sweetspot is pretty large, right in front of Cloud. launches diagonally up if the opponent is on the ground

Midgar is pretty nice. Could have been a counterpick if the Materia weren't so hazardous honestly, they don't show up very often.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I just got cloud, is it just me or cloud feel like he got the almost same frame data as shulk? Cloud moves must be just as laggy as Shulk or Shulk got a frame data .buff

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
oh, and when you beat classic or all star the congratulations text is in Final Fantasy font

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
Yeah I got really hype seeing what Corrin could do but all I saw in the Twitch chat was 'EW ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER', which I kinda understand and might agree if THOSE MOVES WEREN'T SO DAMN COOL. LITERALLY A DRAGON HUMAN THING

this is better than ridley tbqh

A lot of people were so salty with the Corrin reveal. Reasonable reactions considering that it felt kinda off to put her in the final direct but goddamn, don't hate on the character (or the franchise)

D

Deleted member

I'm OK with Corrin getting in Smash, but I am against Bayonetta to be honest.
Cloud is a ton of fun, however. I think that he has a ton of potential.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Well, I am sorry you guys, but I will prolly be enslaved to play bayonetta to all eternity.

gg Nintendo. gg.

I'm OK with Corrin getting in Smash, but I am against Bayonetta to be honest.
Cloud is a ton of fun, however. I think that he has a ton of potential.
Why that? I am more the opposite, which is your reasoning? Do you dislike the smug angel hunting witch?

Also, I saw, landing laag reduced on all aerials, and more dmg on shulk.

I'd love some faster start up, but I take every buff our blonde swordfighter can get.
(And I called it! Shulk buffs after cloud ingame!)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why that? I am more the opposite, which is your reasoning? Do you dislike the smug angel hunting witch?
I was in the mindset of her being to risqué for Smash... I was stunned when she got in and that wasn't a preventing factor.
I am also against the premise on her getting in because I don't think she is on the same tier as Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, and Cloud. I don't find her to be legendary or iconic...

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I was in the mindset of her being to risqué for Smash... I was stunned when she got in and that wasn't a preventing factor.
I am also against the premise on her getting in because I don't think she is on the same tier as Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, and Cloud. I don't find her to be legendary or iconic...
Giving her the way, that she's pretty much the spiritual successor of Dante, and she's quite legendary in my eyes.
But I get what you mean. A factor she did better than others would propably be that she spawned from a fighting game, and platinum games is a 2nd party Dev.

I mean, they could have ended it with cloud and everyone would have been happy still. Having two additional characters doesn't hurt imo, and she did won the poll after all.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
To be fair, she was toned down. I noticed the Wicked Weave reduced her to some short dress. I imagine her speech will be appropriately selected.

As for being iconic - not on the level of those guys, no. But hey, it was down to a vote and the world has spoken.

I'm personally incredibly hyped for the newcomers! Though all the salt is getting me down, the Smash fanbase is so goddamn entitled...

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I'm personally incredibly hyped for the newcomers! Though all the salt is getting me down, the Smash fanbase is so goddamn entitled...
Give it a week. We got cloud now, and the "cloud is amazing" hype will wash most of the salt away.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be fair, she was toned down. I noticed the Wicked Weave reduced her to some short dress. I imagine her speech will be appropriately selected.

As for being iconic - not on the level of those guys, no. But hey, it was down to a vote and the world has spoken.

At least she was toned down, but it still feels weird...

Honestly, I can't be salty about this. I am not for Bayonetta, but a lot of veterans are back and I got characters that I wanted, including my most wanted Shulk. So, I can't complain.

Give it a week. We got cloud now, and the "cloud is amazing" hype will wash most of the salt away.
The salt will wash away, but I dunno about the Cloud hype. It depends on how he's like in the long-run.
So far, he feels incredible.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Well guess since everyone else is doing it, I guess I'll share my thoughts on Corrin and Bayoneta.

Corrin: I think that Corrin looks like a lot of fun and I'm considering learning him. (But I already have a lot of characters, so that might not be the best idea.) When I first heard he was in I was very surprised and glad that he even made it in. And I'm glad his trailer showed off some of the voice acting for the English version of Fates.

I don't really care much for Bayonetta but I"m glad she's in and I think she looks great.

I also need to get :4cloud:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Well guess since everyone else is doing it, I guess I'll share my thoughts on Corrin and Bayoneta.

Corrin: I think that Corrin looks like a lot of fun and I'm considering learning him. (But I already have a lot of characters, so that might not be the best idea.) When I first heard he was in I was very surprised and glad that he even made it in. And I'm glad his trailer showed off some of the voice acting for the English version of Fates.

I don't really care much for Bayonetta but I"m glad she's in and I think she looks great.

I also need to get :4cloud:
Having many characters isn't really -bad-.
You aren't maining them all, you just merely learn or enjoy them. Your main should be your single most powerful character you can play with.
So feel free to add a few to that list!

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
So I might have been spoiled for XCX. Why are people so interested in that stuff? Ugh. It could've been fake, but probably not.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Not trying to sound mean or anything, but if she won the ballot then she is kinda legendary. Shes also not really that risky for smash honestly. Just wait for the Bayonetta support page... I mean Palutena is one small gust of wind from "alighting" the competition, and ZSS is wearing a skin tight suit. Also coming with whats basically 2 different bikini alts. And lets not even get into Shulks 8th alt...(I'm kidding).

After seeing the 1.1.3 patch notes I'm not exactly happy. Still no Samus buffs or Rosalina Nerfs. Oh well. At least Shulk, Ganon, and Mewtwo all got much deserved buffs.

Getting cloud tomorrow. From what my friend has done with him he seems kinda OP. Though its probably because I don't really know how to beat him yet and I'm kinda rusty. Getting my new laptop has kinda tossed me off of smash and cut my smashing in like one tenth of normal. After Corrin and Bayonetta get released Ill probably get back into the game and maybe even get more into the competitive seen with Shulk and maybe DK and Bayo if shes good. From the looks of her...shes OP.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Hey guys, SHFF Uair is godlike now. You can combo the first hit into kill moves. SHFF Uair to Ftilt/Usmash is sexy af. The first hit pops the opponent behind you, and it doesn't put them into tumble state, so you have to buffer a turnaround for Usmash, but Ftilt you can just throw out there for free.

Update: Since the first hit has WBKB, this may change up what you do as a follow up. I had tried the first few on Ryu, and he doesn't go up very high, so you can kinda do whatever you please. Toon Link, on the other hand, pops right above Shulk. I have work, so could someone do more testing on this?

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hey guys, SHFF Uair is godlike now. You can combo the first hit into kill moves. SHFF Uair to Ftilt/Usmash is sexy af. The first hit pops the opponent behind you, and it doesn't put them into tumble state, so you have to buffer a turnaround for Usmash, but Ftilt you can just throw out there for free.

Update: Since the first hit has WBKB, this may change up what you do as a follow up. I had tried the first few on Ryu, and he doesn't go up very high, so you can kinda do whatever you please. Toon Link, on the other hand, pops right above Shulk. I have work, so could someone do more testing on this?
I still kinda wish for faster start-ups, but hey. We are definitely quite good where we are right now.
0.5 doesn't seem too much, but considering buster... or speed, it's quite nice to have.
Shieldstun makes our attacks in buster even safer now.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
A lot of people were so salty with the Corrin reveal. Reasonable reactions considering that it felt kinda off to put her in the final direct but goddamn, don't hate on the character (or the franchise)
It's hard for me to be salty considering they have a pretty cool looking moveset. (and it's very unique)

That said they don't really fill me with any great excitement....although I guess that's not surprising since their games haven't been released yet. Most people just haven't had a chance to make much of a connection with them as characters. Then you have to account for the fact that they're the sixth Fire Emblem character and a character that was revealed in the final presentation (when everybody was at their most hyped) and it's not that surprising that things start piling up.

Corrin just got really unlucky. (or lucky I guess, considering they got a place in Smash :p)

I think that goes out the window considering she won the ballot. The people have spoken.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
... well, because it's a great game?
I mean, why are people into Smash so much, that they are registered on a Forum?

And I hope it was just a fake spoiler, would be sad if you got spoilered about it.
"That stuff" being spoiling other people on the internet. In a place where it is very easy to mark spoilers and spoilers are discouraged, why would you want to spoil the plot for someone? For the salt? Well my salt is on a different forum, so they're not seeing it. It's being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, pure and simple. The way it was spoiled was also clearly with the intention of shocking and annoying people who weren't aware of it.

It was probably a real spoiler because I did a story mission and oh no, it makes sense. But whatever, I got spoiled about
Zanza being fought in space, but I didn't understand the true nature of that so the real Zanza fight still shocked me.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
"That stuff" being spoiling other people on the internet. In a place where it is very easy to mark spoilers and spoilers are discouraged, why would you want to spoil the plot for someone? For the salt? Well my salt is on a different forum, so they're not seeing it. It's being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, pure and simple. The way it was spoiled was also clearly with the intention of shocking and annoying people who weren't aware of it.

It was probably a real spoiler because I did a story mission and oh no, it makes sense. But whatever, I got spoiled about
Zanza being fought in space, but I didn't understand the true nature of that so the real Zanza fight still shocked me.
Ah, sorry for the missunderstandment.
People are hyped, and want to talk with others about it. Spoiling a little to get your friend hooked on it? Sure.
Spoiling strangers important plot stuff? Hell no. Those people have no ability to restrict themselves.
But to ease your mind, I don't think that spoiler is very Valid. But to be fair, even if it would, I would say the same to relief you from being spoiled.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so, this just happened. XCX and XC spoilers ahead:

Okay, so I'm in chapter 6,right? Meet the Tainted. And their whole "eat all living matter" shtick reminded me of the Telethia sucking ether out of everything. So a Tainted Sphinx is about to eat me and I'm scoffing. "you're a pathetic replacement for Telethia, don't flatter yourself."

AND AN ACTUAL TELETHIA DESCENDS FROM THE SKY AND SAVES OUR SOULS, THANK YOU BASED LORD ZANZA, THANK YOU EX-HIGH ENTIA FRIEND, OMG

So I was very excited and surprised about that.

Last edited:

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Okay, so, this just happened. XCX and XC spoilers ahead:

Okay, so I'm in chapter 6,right? Meet the Tainted. And their whole "eat all living matter" shtick reminded me of the Telethia sucking ether out of everything. So a Tainted Sphinx is about to eat me and I'm scoffing. "you're a pathetic replacement for Telethia, don't flatter yourself."

AND AN ACTUAL TELETHIA DESCENDS FROM THE SKY AND SAVES OUR SOULS, THANK YOU BASED LORD ZANZA, THANK YOU EX-HIGH ENTIA FRIEND, OMG

So I was very excited and surprised about that.
I just finished this chapter today!
This is when you gotta take these 8 exam missions to get your skell license. I got 5, 6 & 8 to go

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
I haven't played enough of XCX yet so I'm trying to avoid this board still just in case, I've been away for like half a year here just based on trying to go in blind. What I have played is okay though, I know its common but the music especially in NLA is just hilarious, but bad.
Everyone here seems to hate her but dear god I am so e-sportsing hyped Bayonetta made it in.

Top Bottom