• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk Discord AMA w/ Erico - Answered Questions!

Diosdi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Oni-Link-1111
3DS FC
1865-0292-7344
A few days ago, I was able to do alongside the Shulk Discord, an excellent AMA for Erico so I was able to do an articl for Smashboards. If you are reading today, Dec 28th, the article will come out tomorrow, but here is a sneak peak with ALL the answered questions without edits. Some questions will be cut and other featured, but this thred will be linked in the article for those who want to read the whole thing.

Questions
Favorite Monado Art?
@Fan of Simon Pegg I like Monado Jump the most

Whats Monadacus purpose and what shulk uses it consistently?
@blake Belladonna the purpose of Monadacus is a burst option, and it also means you can charge it longer. I think you use it consistently, and darkwolf does too. I don't use it much

what matchup do you personally struggle with the most as shulk?
@←/Grexin I don't like facing Bayonetta

Is a Ken string with Shulk viable?
@Meepston a ken string is viable - but not truly, more as a read

who do you think has the better shulk, you or Paradigm?
@PlasManny I think I have the better Shulk (and I think she would agree)

does the horizontal air movement boost from speed effect shulk's likeliness to live an attack with horizontal knockback?
@RaikoTheSaikou all tests I have seen for kill percents in Monado Speed have it as the same as Vanilla's percent

What's better at the ledge = Dthrow or Bthrow?
@TE | CoachBash that depends on which direction you're facing. However, down throw has more knockback, so if it's the same distance and both send the opponent toward closest blast line, then down throw is better at the ledge

Can I have an accent like Shulk?
@H-kun00 I don't know you well enough to answer if you can have an accent like Shulk

Would you consider Bidou a good "Tech" for Shulk?
@TE | CoachBash generally I have said bidou is just okay for Shulk, but with this new method found with vision sliding and me trying it out, it might be more optimal...

does shulk have any reliable and safe kill options outside of smash?
@RaikoTheSaikou yes, and up tilt is one of them.

If you could've included one aspect of your Brawl Shulk mod in Smash 4, what would it be?
@←/Paradigm on second thought I would want monado cyclone as Shulk's up b, which could trip grounded opponents

what is the average % range for d-throw/f-throw to f-air?
@RaikoTheSaikou f-throw to fair never works, but down throw to fair only works in speed and is rougly 7-25% iirc
How come most Shulks dont use Dtilt, I think that move is pretty broken, don't you agree?@Blake Belladonna I did not know most Shulks did not use Dtilt

What are the biggest weaknesses of the average Shulk player in the current metagame?
@Sandfall they are too nairy less fairy. Don't space enough with cross-ups, and are too aggressive.

Likewise, what are the main strengths of the average Shulk player in the current metagame? Also, what strengths can you see becoming more popular in the future?
@Amatosk I think teh average player uses Monado Speed pretty well. I could see Monado Shield in the neutral (as a means to play it safe and turn back momentum when it's out of your favour) becoming more popular.

What's your favorite / most hype thing to watch Shulk players do?
@←/Paradigm I get hype watching Shulks do really nice frame traps

Currently what is shulk's most optimized low percent option out of a grab from 0-25% range?
@←/Hen翔 Monado Speed down throw -> MABD run -> MALLC Fair -> More options

If you could only alter one frame data change on shulk what would it be and why?
@blake Belladonna I would alter down air to have a lasting hitbox, because Shulk could benefit from a move to reach low below him and it already has the graphic anyways

What is the best way to space against projectiles?
@MrMewtwo12345 either retreat with an aerial to outprioritize the projectile, or avoid it.

Should Smash actually be used for killing, or do you think it's better for other purposes, such as gimping, or escaping combos?
@Amatosk I think it should be used for killing. I love to MABD -> Smash up tilt, or down throw or whatever - Smash is good at killing

A lot of Shulk mains struggle while playing against really defensive or campy opponents. Apart from being less agressive, how would you recommend approaching those matchups?
@Sandfall I think baiting the opponent is great when they are being campy. Make them think they have an opportunity to punish you. Go for safe options on trying to reach them. Don't get frustrated.

How do you feel about Shulk's performance here in WI? Or in Midwest in general?
@StellaR | ←/ Sparx21 I think the representation for Shulk in Wisconsin is about average, what I'd expect.

Do you think Shulk is or ever will be viable in tournament?
@Lv7 | RaveJackal Shulk is viable in tournament for sure. Check out some of our top Shulk mains like Nicko and Darkwolf - they're winning.

Who is the best Shulk in your opinion?
@TE | CoachBash I think it's a toss up between Darkwolf, Nicko, and Kome. I can't decide.

What's your Shulk skin/palette tier list?
@Moofs Shulk>Melia>Riki>Dunban>Fiora>Reyn>Sharla>Naked

Do you think a solo-Shulk main can get to top 8 at a major?
Diosdi Diosdi Darkwolf got close with 13th at GOML 2016. A lot of Shulk's bad matchups could probably be countered with just different playstyle choices

What is your favourite Shulk mod skin if you use them?
@ShinRPGamer I do not use Shulk mod skins

Isn't Tremendo Dude a solo Shulk main?
@InTheShadows TremendoDude secondaries Mario I think, I dont know how often he uses it

Do you believe that, at the very top level of play, Shulk is solo viable? Or do feel you need a good secondary to cover certain matchups?
@Sandfall I think he might be solo viable, but it all depends on if ghostwalker works irl or not

what do you mean by different playstyle choices?
@Nicko there are so many ways to play Shulk. This is what I mean by playstyle choices. I'm not sure about Shulk's solo viability.

In your opinion, what's the most underused/underrated Shulk tech?
@←/Paradigm the most underused / underrated Shulk tech is... MAIL - Monado Art Intangible Landing. I have never seen or heard of anybody using it, but it is a cool concept. MALS deserves a lot more love too though, and I think it's too solid of a tech to be used so little.

is shulk tech worth learning?
@Nicko Shulk tech is worth learning. They objectively improve his game.

would you agree shulk would be better if uthrow comboed into anything?
@Nicko Shulk would be better in viability if Up Throw combo'd into anything. I do not think I would like playing him as much.

to be honest in your opinion what high tier mu do you think shulk wins the best?
@Db ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) We win Rosalina very convincingly (not that we win by a lot, but I think it's pretty solid that we do win or at least go even)

What the hell is MAIL?
@InTheShadows it's landing during the intangible portion of art pose to protect your landing and make it lagless

What is your favourite thing about Shulk?
@InTheShadows what I enjoy most in playing Shulk is researching him, making discoveries, and using those discoveries to advance the character. If up throw combo'd into anything, that would be defining Shulk's meta, and any discoveries I made would be less significant and I would probably stop

What are some examples of tech to learn besides monado cancel?
@Nicko you should learn MALS. It works on Battlefield and Smashville only unless you go to omega stages. Lagless and intangible way to get up the edge, really useful

mu you struggle with the most as shulk?
@←/Grexin I struggle very highly with ROB.

eric senpai, when someone says something very uneducated about shulk, what is the best reply that is close to roasting them and boosts your ego the most efficient way to be honest in your opinion?
@Db ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) just reply with the plain hard truth

What's your least favorite commentary mistake?
@←/Paradigm my least favorite commentary mistake is Monado Jump things like being lightest character. It's a great art and I don't think they see why

How well does Shulk do in majors?
@SF3 | Ouroboro Shulk does well in majors when one of our top players represents

What is an unpopular Shulk MU opinion you have? I. E. a MU you think we win or lose?
@←/Paradigm I think Shulk loses to Cloud and Mario more than most others do

What have you contributed to the Shulk meta Erico?
@InTheShadows I have contributed way too much to say in a short time

How long have you known Paradigm?
@←/Napon I have known paradigm for over 15 months

@←/Erico How did you and Para meet each other?
@TE | CoachBash I met Paradigm on the Shulk skype group. Further details are in the interview which will be posted enxt week

How would you descrive your relationship with @Db ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)?
@Sandfall my relationship with @Db ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) is sort of friendlike, except I'm his boss but I don't boss him around much

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE POKÉMON?
@←/Paradigm porygon2 and volcarona are tied for my favorite pokemon

How's your day been?
@Faust today's been good

would you have rather have reyn or dunban in smash?
@PlasManny Reyn would be more interesting, even though I relate more to Dunban's character

Favourite food?
@TE | CoachBash I really like lasagna. I have slight geographic tongue so anything spicy hurts more than it does for most people. I also don't taste sweet, and can't stand the taste of vinegar. Cheese is amazing, and sour is amazing. Grapefruits and most other fruits I love

Where would you be in life if you weren't into smash?
@Maverick I would still be going to UWM. Just I'd probably be playing other video games.

What's a fun fact about yourself someone might not know?
@←/Paradigm a fun fact about me is I like Philosophy

Do you like Garlic Bread?
@Retnuah I like garlic bread, yes

When are you graduating?
@TE | CoachBash probably graduating from college with Mechanical Engineering Bachelor's in 3 years

Did you even want Shulk in Smash? Was his reveal trailer a surprise to you? Or was it because of his inclusion that you even discovered Shulk in the first place?
@Amatosk I was a huge Shulk supporter pre-release. I first played Xenoblade in 2012. I argued very strongly that he not only should be in Sm4sh, but that he would. I was spoiled by a leak, so the reveal trailer was no surprise.

what's your favorite youtube channel?
@RaikoTheSaikou my favorite youtube channel is my own (shared with para)

ohhhhh good answer lol okay what's your 2nd favorite?
@RaikoTheSaikou I like Theaggyu a lot... hard to pick favorites though

Eric-senpai, I don't know how you do it but you look like shulk irl, for the common people do you have any beauty tips for them? I mean cause we all want to look as good as you even though we know we'll never get close my boy. So is there like a special Erico trade marked cologne we should know about?
@Db ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I lost 60 pounds in my first year of university by eating things which I knew what they were (basic ingredient on the labels), and walking an hour every day.

How do you like your purple banner on Smashboards?
@Sandfall my purple banner is pretty cool. I like it. Makes me feel special.

What is the name of your alter ego/form and final attack? Also would you like to anime battle sometime?
@MoePrince Spark to be honest I don't have an alterego aside from Erico. I could make one if you like, but later ok?

Aside from Xenoblade or Smash, what is your favourite video game?
@←/Paradigm aside from Xenoblade and Smash, my favorite game is Majora's Mask

If you could gain the super power to completely roast someone's entire being and end their career in an instant ericoo-senpai, who would it be and why?
@Db ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I would probably roast Donald Trump

What is your favorite moment in your Smash career?
@StellaR | ←/ Sparx21 my favorite moment in Smash career was when I discovered Vision Sliding

favorite snack?
@Moofs nature valley crunchy granola bars. Healthy, tasty, get the job done

any interest in psychology whatsoever?
@←/Grexin I love psychology.

Any pet peeves that people do?
@←/Paradigm I have a lot of pet peeves. One of them right now is when people tell me Merry Christmas when it's not Christmas

What are you most excited for in the coming weeks?
@Sandfall I'm looking forward to Shulk content the most

You looking forward to Christmas eve? And if so, why?
@TE | CoachBash yeah I'm looking forward to christmas eve. Got some ppl some nice gifts, and am getting some good things too.

Any animal you feel would represent you, ala spirit animal?
@Fan of Simon Pegg I do not think there is any animal that better represents me more than the human

Do you believe in Santa Claus?
@Moofs do not believe in Santa no. I'm secular

Erico-senpai, if para had the power to be a goldfish and you had to pick a power to be an animal that would have the perfect romantic levels with said goldfish, like affinity my boy, what animal would you be to boost the romantic interest between you and parafish?
@Db ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) the goldfish thing I just don't know tbh. I would need to look at the list of compatible fish for goldfish.

Have you gone through an entire anime from start to finish without stopping?
@Agent Emerald I have not gone through an entire anime start to finish without stopping

Have you read the hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy? If so what is your favorite character
@Retnuah I have not read that.

what is you favorite genre of music ?/favorite instrument
@←/fredzero favorite genre is gaming. French horn

Chips ahoy or Oreos
@NG| Ginga Oreos

Colour of toothbrush?
@←/Hen翔 toothbrush is green

How is school going for you? Do you think taking physics in college and studying it more is more interesting than the other sciences?
@←/ Valakmtn I do not think physics is more interesting than other sciences. I dropped it and went to mechanical engineering for a reason.

Do you prefer it when I edit videos or when you edit videos for our channel?
@←/Paradigm I prefer when you edit the videos, because you're better at it.

Erico will you ever ban this: :ok_hand:( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°:ok_hand:)
@←/ Valakmtn I won't ban that.

Erico, do you think you could beat DB in a wrestling match if you both had to eat 10 cupcakes before you could move?
@←/Hen翔 I don't know

Before this ends, i wanna hear the best romance advice that you can give
@PlasManny DON'T get relationship happy in high school. AVOID. After high school, do not pursue much. Look for somebody very similar to you. VERY.

On the scale of 1-10, rate Boku no Pico
@Glitchz it's probably pretty dumb. I only know of it though, haven't watched.

What do you think of long distance relationships, since you are in one?
@←/Paradigm long distance relationships are not for most people. It works well for us, but most I have seen didn't go over too well.

@←/Erico how do you feel about @everyone tags
@StellaR | ←/ Sparx21 I think people are too triggered by mentioning everyone. It's not that triggering

How can we make shulk's frame data work?
@Loading... to make Shulk's frame data work, you must offset it by range and also drifting away from the opponent as you land with aerials so they can't reach you (effectively improving range)

As a person who is interested in Engeneering alot in the future, what can i expect to do with engeneering in the future erico?
@←/ Valakmtn there's a lot you can do. Engineering is such a broad thing. In general, expect to fix problems

@←/Erico Between you and Paradigm who wears the pants in your relationship?
←/Erico - Today at 7:11 PM
@←/Hen翔 we both are wearing the pants at different times.
←/Paradigm - Today at 7:11 PM
DIFFERENT PANTS

Erico-senpai I gotta know fam. I've always wanted to be like you. Ever since I was a boy I wish I could play smash and main a character that could get me a girlfriend like you and ZeRo.
But it just isn't working, I've also always had admired your tech skill. Ever since I was a boy I wish I could wave dash in smash 4 but it just wasn't happening. But then you came in and started wave dashing with shulk's down b, and truly I was speechless. I could have never imagined such greatness could have been achieved. And with every one of your achievements I get more and more aroused at the thought of playing shulk, where I even have dreams of you playing shulk and it just makes my heart go doki-doki. And at this point I have so much respect for you that I can no longer contain myself.

So I ask you erico, the supreme leader of us all....

If you never started the shulk discord starting with the skype version, where do you think you'd be in the community as of now?
@Db ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) well first of all, Para's and I's relationship goes far beyond Smash. I think what first got my interest was that she liked Science. As for the actual question, I would be that guy who did a lot of work for the community but few people really knew how or in what ways. Also would have discovered a lot less. Tbh at this point I wouldn't be playing the game anymore if I never joined skype group or made the discord server

Erico-senpai, can you set up another version of this where para is the one interviewed?:ok_hand:( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°:ok_hand:)
@Db ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I could do that. However, because she's not a backroom member (probably should be) diosdi would not be interviewing her.

Diosdi's Note: due to high demand, a similar AMA article w/Paradigm WILL come in early January! Enjoy!

Let me know if you liked this dynamic in the comments; and be sure to stay tuned for the article tomorrow!

Last edited:
Top Bottom