• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk Commentator Cheat-Sheet

Aarrow

Smash Rookie
As entertaining as it is to laugh at bad Shulk facts in VODs, I realize a lot of people would appreciate a nice printable reference on SmashBoards, both as the commentators who would otherwise be looking it up during a match, and all the viewers who would be listening to them. This thread is to decide what information should be included and finding ideas/personnel to make a nice looking, printable version.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Most of the community still brings up bad shulk facts intentionally. I'm kinda just like "whatever it'll be a joke forever". However, I kinda care enough to post this fact post of everything arts affect just so that an incorrect statement made by said commentator will no longer happen as long as they have these facts in mind. This is the source:

Monado arts
Determinate Arts Frames from last input = 46 frames [meaning that the art activates on the 46th frame after cycling to said art]
Monado Art Duration (seconds) = 16 seconds aka 960 frames
Monado Art Cooldown (frames) = 10 seconds aka 600 frames
Art's deactivation held down = 60 frames [meaning it takes a full second to deactivate an art when holding the special button]
Window for Art Deactivation via special multipress = [meaning that you can slowly deactivate an art as long as each B press is within 30 frames of each other in order to deactivate an art with 3 B presses]

Jump art
Jump/Hop Vertical Velocity = increased
Air Accel/Air Speed = both increased
Gravity = increased
Fall Speed/Fast Fall Speed = increased
Ledge Jump Velocity = increased
Air Slash Rising = increased
Damage Taken = increased [bad thing]

Speed art
Air Accel/Air Speed = increased
Walk/Run Maximum Speed = both increased
Dash Initial Speed = increased
Dash Accel = increased
Ground Friction = increased
Damage Dealt = decreased [bad thing]
Jump/Hop Vertical Velocity = decreased [mixed thing]

Shield art
Damage Taken = decreased [a good thing]
Knockback Received = decreased [mixed but mostly good thing]
Shield Health = increased
Shield Regenaration Speed = increased
Damage Dealt = decreased [bad thing]
Air Accel/Air Speed = both decreased
Walk Accel/Walk Speed = both decreased
Dash Initial/Dash Accel/Run Speed = all three decreased
Jump/Hop Vertical Velocity = decreased [mixed thing, but for Shield art's case it's bad]

Buster art
Damage Dealt = increased
Damage Taken = increased [bad thing]
Knockback Dealt = decreased [mixed thing, but for Buster art's case it's good]

Smash art
Knockback Dealt = increased
Damage Dealt = decerased [bad thing]
Knockback Received = increased [mixed thing, since you can utilize it for stuff, but still considered bad]

Last edited:

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
This here diagram from the good folks at reddit is fairly effective in displaying all the effects of the Monado Arts, but it does have some flaws.
For one, Jump Art does not decrease your knockback defense. In reality, you can actually sometimes survive vertical attacks in Jump mode because of it's increased gravity (or fall speed? I forget which one helps you live longer against vertical attacks).
Secondly, the knockback decrease on Speed and Shield isn't true... sorta. Because damage dealt in Speed and Shield is decreased, the knockback is indeed decreased slightly. However, knockback isn't individually decreased in these arts as the diagram makes it out to be. It is only decreased as a result of damage reduction. How you would portray this in the diagram, I'm not too sure. Perhaps for simplicity sake it would be best to keep it like it is.
My only other problem with the diagram is that the value of damage defense for Buster is one block. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Buster multiplier for damage received is 1.13. This only leads to one half to one percent extra damage taken with weaker moves. Even attacks like Roy's f-smash only deal about 2.6 extra damage on Buster Shulk. If I did my math right. It is widely thought that Buster art absolutely wrecks Shulk's damage defense, and having the Buster damage received value at one bar on the diagram isn't helping anyone. It definitely deserves to be at least two bars.
Oh yeah, and Buster doesn't decrease your knockback defense, either. Just saw that.

Like I said, this diagram format is pretty dang effective in quickly giving the run-down on Monado Arts, but it needs revision.

Attachments

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
I realize I never added the chart that I made a while back!

A smash commentator from my region, Mickel, asked me about Shulk commentary so I gave it to him. He used it at GOML, and did an excellent job commentating Darkwolf, Jerm, Artryuu, and Kurage's sets.

Hooray for small victories!

Last edited:
Top Bottom