• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shuffle V - February 22nd & 23rd, 2014 - Columbus, OH - MLG supported event

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
hmm. should probably look into finding a teammate. I hear those things are important :laugh:

Whos up for Brawl doubles? I'm an old man but I carry dudes like Atlus

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Question: As a melee TO in this region for a long time, weve seen a HUGE burst of entrants in the last couple months. So with the hype of this and the numbers that have been showing up to our events, Are you guys prepared for a 100 - 150 person turnout for melee along side all these other events?

PGH/NEOH SSBM seems still on the fence about this. The right answer may help the more concerned.

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Question: As a melee TO in this region for a long time, weve seen a HUGE burst of entrants in the last couple months. So with the hype of this and the numbers that have been showing up to our events, Are you guys prepared for a 100 - 150 person turnout for melee along side all these other events?

PGH/NEOH SSBM seems still on the fence about this. The right answer may help the more concerned.

We're preparing to handle a total entrant number of around 300+ people. The venue has 3 huge rooms, 1000+ square feet each. We plan to have a game per room, which makes the most sense. So each game will have its own 1000+ sq ft. room. We have many TOs running this event. We have a different person per bracket, so that they can focus on just one bracket and making it run well. We have a match calling system, pre-registration which should make registration a breeze. We're constantly gathering more CRT TVs, in addition to the ones being provided by competitors.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at esi.shuffle@gmail.com, that's the one I'm checking frequently in regards to this event.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I'm very impressed ESI, I'm loving all this reassurance everytime someone has a question. Hype is so real for this event.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
List of Events (subject to change)
Melee 1v1
Melee 2v2
Brawl 1v1
Brawl 2v2
Project M 1v1
Project M 2v2
6 total

PLEASE NOTE: Due to issues last year, something needs to be done about people entering into all competitions and bottle necking progress (i.e. if one player who is good at Brawl 1v1 and 2v2 as well as Melee 1v1 and 2v2 gets to the top 16 for both side of the bracket, 4 tournaments will be hinged on one player. A possible suggestion is to still allow people to register for as many as they want, but if they make it far enough they will have to select only two tourneys to continue on in.
This is pretty bad. While it doesn't affect me personally, I'd hate to see multi-game entrants get shafted because the TOs simply don't know how to schedule waves appropriately.

You have pre-registration, which means you know which events each player is entering beforehand. So give yourself a few days to schedule waves appropriately, with built-in constraints such that nobody is playing in two games at the exact same time. It's tedious, but not difficult.

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty bad. While it doesn't affect me personally, I'd hate to see multi-game entrants get shafted because the TOs simply don't know how to schedule waves appropriately.

You have pre-registration, which means you know which events each player is entering beforehand. So give yourself a few days to schedule waves appropriately, with built-in constraints such that nobody is playing in two games at the exact same time. It's tedious, but not difficult.
We ended up deciding against doing anything of this nature. I'll edit the post now, didn't even know it was still there. We just are making sure when players sign up for multiple brackets that they are responsible for their matches getting played, and risk a possibly DQ if they're ridiculously late/holding up the tourney.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I just get the impression that the current plan is "let players enter everything and have them figure it out" which isn't a good idea. The schedule should be dictating when players do their matches, and a very clear multiple-wave format is the most scalable option when it comes to accommodating 100 players versus 200 players versus 300 players. You could muster up all the setups in the world or all the venue space in the world, but the tournament still won't finish on time if you don't get the schedule right.

D

Deleted member

I heard that MLG actually wasn't in support of sponsoring Project M at this event. Is this true? I find it hard to believe given that it's so popular that it eclipsed Brawl at Apex.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I'll be posting a list of pictures i have set to print standards within the next few weeks in order to plan what i want to bring. Will def need feedback

expect lots of league, some smash, blazblue, and anime????

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
I just get the impression that the current plan is "let players enter everything and have them figure it out" which isn't a good idea. The schedule should be dictating when players do their matches, and a very clear multiple-wave format is the most scalable option when it comes to accommodating 100 players versus 200 players versus 300 players. You could muster up all the setups in the world or all the venue space in the world, but the tournament still won't finish on time if you don't get the schedule right.
Hey Juggleguy!

First and foremost, I wanted to say thanks for all the constructive criticism you have been giving us- I really mean it when I say we are doing EVERYTHING in our power to make sure this event runs smoothly and turns out awesome.

In order for the event to be awesome, it needs to finish on time. Currently we are working with 8,000 square feet, divided into three rooms for each setup (Melee, Brawl, and Project M). I structured the schedule in a way to try to do exactly what you did: stagger the events out so that people can potentially enter in to all 6 events and not be bottlenecking anything.

With that being said, I would love to talk with you more about how to best finalize the schedule and get your input. Please email me at amar.karamali@gmail.com , or preferably add me on Skype amar.karamali and we can find a time to chat.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
I heard that MLG actually wasn't in support of sponsoring Project M at this event. Is this true? I find it hard to believe given that it's so popular that it eclipsed Brawl at Apex.
Hey Cryo,

Project M is a mod, and Nintendo will not be pleased if a big company supports their hacked, stolen intellectual property.

Project M is a tournament solely being run by ESI.

With that being said, you shouldn't expect anything to differ from Project M to the other two games.

Amar

D

Deleted member

Hey Cryo,

Project M is a mod, and Nintendo will not be pleased if a big company supports their hacked, stolen intellectual property.

Project M is a tournament solely being run by ESI.

With that being said, you shouldn't expect anything to differ from Project M to the other two games.

Amar
Does this mean that it won't be streamed, though? I understand why if not, but just wanted clarification on that.

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64
Hope i can come! i live 2 hours form there lol, and what does it mean by a Brawl setup?

LOE1

Smash Lord
I'll be posting a list of pictures i have set to print standards within the next few weeks in order to plan what i want to bring. Will def need feedback

I'll be waiting for a kat poster :)
Also anything wario related i'd buy as welllllll

I'm sure i'll have as much fun at this shuffle as i did at the last onee

:wario:

Player-1

Smash Legend
If a GA car came would we be able to get housing? The columbus area seems full already, but what about ppl in cincinatti?

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
Hope i can come! i live 2 hours form there lol, and what does it mean by a Brawl setup?
A brawl set up would be a Wii, the Brawl game disc, the power adapter, and the audio/video cord to hook it to the television. You do not need to bring controllers (each player brings
their own)

SoulPech

Smash Master
If a GA car came would we be able to get housing? The columbus area seems full already, but what about ppl in cincinatti?
I would need to talk with Ori again just to confirm if they're gonna get a hotel or not. if that's the case, then I have 3-4 people available. I'll keep you on the back end for now.

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64
A brawl set up would be a Wii, the Brawl game disc, the power adapter, and the audio/video cord to hook it to the television. You do not need to bring controllers (each player brings
their own)
so everyone brings there Wii and Wii cords and controllers? and is a GameCube controller accepted?

Esports Initiative

Smash Journeyman
so everyone brings there Wii and Wii cords and controllers? and is a GameCube controller accepted?
Like soulpech said, the majority of players use GameCube controllers for melee, brawl, and project M. Players are responsible for bringing their own controllers and walking around with them from match to match. GameCube controllers are accepted for every tournament, but if you want to use a wiimote that is also okay.

OniKasian

Smash Rookie
NNID
OniKasian
3DS FC
5112-3830-7728
Hey SoulPech, I know you're booked with housing as of now, but I believe I was one of the 1st people to respond to your initial post when the thread fist opened. Would that give me any priority for housing still? Just wanna confirm so I can figure out what to do.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
So uhm.. do I have to post my address or..?
Just let people know what town you're in (which I can see from your profile). When someone says they can give you a ride, just private message them your address (so the whole world doesn't see it lol).

I live in southern Ohio so that's not really an option for me, but keep a lookout for people who are coming from Indiana.

LOE1

Smash Lord
Doing a value mock up right now, then i will color it : 3

it honestly should be done well before Shuffle, so yeah KATARINA POSTERS THIS TIME.
i cant wait :)

...unless you dont have it ready by then and then i get depressed and get last in all events i enter and walk back to michigan :|

SoulPech

Smash Master
Hey SoulPech, I know you're booked with housing as of now, but I believe I was one of the 1st people to respond to your initial post when the thread fist opened. Would that give me any priority for housing still? Just wanna confirm so I can figure out what to do.
oh...

I'm sorry I forgot. Are you Out of state?

Theftz22

Smash Lord
It pains me to see that the apex 2014 ruleset will now be used as the standard ruleset. Please be aware that as of now, the freeze glitch (and master hand) are legal on your melee ruleset. Neither is stalling explicitly banned except in the wobbling clause, where it is ambiguous whether stalling in general is banned or just stalling by means of wobbling. I have been saying this for a while in the apex thread. If I played ICs, I'd be learning the freeze glitch.

Tony22

Smash Cadet
As long as I have the money for this and I'm able to get back to work by 8:30am the following Monday, I should be going :3

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
It pains me to see that the apex 2014 ruleset will now be used as the standard ruleset. Please be aware that as of now, the freeze glitch (and master hand) are legal on your melee ruleset. Neither is stalling explicitly banned except in the wobbling clause, where it is ambiguous whether stalling in general is banned or just stalling by means of wobbling. I have been saying this for a while in the apex thread. If I played ICs, I'd be learning the freeze glitch.
Whoa you're right. And apparently unplugging your opponent's controller is also legal under this ruleset. DANG.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen

BlazBlue makes me suddenly interested in this post even though I only have a slight idea of what it's in reference to.

Top Bottom