• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well it could go wither way for Tohou representation.
Reimu is well known in the Japanese core base but how well is she known outside with the greater Japanese populace?
If reception with core gamers directly correlated to mainstream success then Psychonauts and Undertale would have sold more than Fortnite and PUBG after all.

Good look to all her fans in any case.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't think it means that much. Everyone has a long list of characters they don't know about and/or aren't actively rooting for, whether they know it or not. In addition, Smash tends to be a good advertisement for introducing gamers to new series they wouldn't know about otherwise. In short, "I know you might not care for this specific fighter or even Smash as a whole, but I hope you'll pop in anyways and give them a chance regardless."

True. I just never expected this final character to be a world known and highly requested character like sora crash or master chief, so this feelsnlike hes saying tbat. But thats just my thoughts and i could be completely wrong

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Although I don't really do much speculating here on the boards, I will say that I'm glad that Reimu managed to find and develop a strong fan-base that would be happy to see her join Smash Bros.

I'll be here until the end. If it ends up we get the Red-White Shrine Maiden to end Smash Bros, that would be crazy. A series I've been following since high school as a casual fan through fan-art and memes managed to get represented in Smash Bros... That said it would be a bit bittersweet since that seals the deal on my other most wanted characters like Phoenix Wright, Doomguy and Kazuma Kiryu, but Reimu I wouldn't object to being the final fighter.

Here's to the final T-11 hours!

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
This has been an amazing ride. From the time I first laid my hands on Perfect Cherry Blossom (Even though I suck at it), to all the fanart and Let's Plays of great Touhou fangames, to even freakin' Lost Word on mobile phones...wow. I wish I dropped in more to talk with you, but I want you to know I cherish a lot of you in this thread--no, I cherish ALL of you. Same goes for the Shantae peeps and whoever else wants their respective characters in Smash!

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
mmmmmnnnhhh GODDAMMIT! Why did I have to say my goodbyes way too early?! WHY COULDN'T I'VE WAITED?!
* sniff * God, I'm getting sad again...
I'M STILL GONNA MISS YOU ALL!!
I LOVE YOU ALL!!

This has been an amazing ride. From the time I first laid my hands on Perfect Cherry Blossom (Even though I suck at it), to all the fanart and Let's Plays of great Touhou fangames, to even freakin' Lost Word on mobile phones...wow. I wish I dropped in more to talk with you, but I want you to know I cherish a lot of you in this thread--no, I cherish ALL of you. Same goes for the Shantae peeps and whoever else wants their respective characters in Smash!
**** man, I love you too!! D'oh, come over here and give me a hug you glorious b*stard!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sign me up as a supporter. Been delving deep into Touhou since playing and completing Spell Bubble on the Switch. She's one of my most wanted now.

Currently playing Touhou 6 ATM and I did beat the game:

But not Flandre yet, cause the difficulty is relegated to only very hard, I can barely get past Patchouli, and I only met Flandre once or twice. :(

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I like reading into things so I believe Sakurai's tweets actually say a lot :

- "a character you might not know" : I think he only said that for Terry so I think it's a Terry-like pick, a niche pick then. I don't think it points to a western character because all western candidates are just too big to actually say that. So I think it's a japanese niche pick, Touhou still fits because non-internet people might not know about Touhou even in Japan. It's a bit similar to Undertale in the west.

- "not a smash player" : the game probably targets a different demographic so I think this means it's a new genre, so no jrpg today, and no existing franchise.

- "a gaming show" : I think this is really a "celebration of gaming" pick, so like above, probably a new genre, but also a game that's genre defining and with a big legacy

In the end, I think these characters fit best :
  • Reimu
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Arle
  • Maybe Chorus Kids if it's first party
  • edit : maybe Rayman for a western one that could fit

Last edited:

Alchadylan

Smash Cadet
Sign me up as a supporter. Been delving deep into Touhou since playing and completing Spell Bubble on the Switch. She's one of my most wanted now.

But not Flandre yet, cause the difficulty is relegated to only very hard, I can barely get past Patchouli, and I only met Flandre once or twice. :(
There is a mod you can install called THprac that basically mirrors TH8's spell card practice but is better in basically every way. I found this helped a ton at learning spell cards that are farther into the fight

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Also, if Touhou gets in, since Reimu barely is Touhou's most known character and that we got baited almost everytime this pass, we could actually get another character instead of Reimu. If ZUN and/or Sakurai decide to do something else, it could very well happen. There is also a big chance that if we get costumed, Reimu isn't there because she doesn't fit very well with mii's movesets.

zferolie

Smash Hero
what ever happens see you on the other side. lets hope we get our girl, but whoever it is I'm sure it will be a great character

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Ah, that's too bad. I'm sure this will make a lot of people happy, but I never liked Kingdom Hearts. Character designs are just too wack 2000s for me. I'm glad that we got more Splatoon stuff, though! Better luck next time for Reimu.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I honestly thought sora was impossible, but i am happy he is in since inl9ve kingdom hearts. I just never thought it was in the realm of possibility

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
WHAT?!?! YOU MEAN THEY ACTUALLY WENT THROUGH WITH THIS?! A POPULAR FAN-REQUESTED PICK?!?

People online are gonna be such *ssholes, lol. Sora fans seem pretty cool in general, but they are gonna gloat BIG TIME now that he's actually in. Hey, they deserve it! I'm happy for them!
Maybe this was the big surprise, huh? Heh. We all expected someone smaller, but we got a huge (for most other people, not for me) reveal instead. I guess no one really expected it after all...

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Why Cloud Versions...
Its that and the amount and picks of Mii Costumes we got (as well as the lack of Twilight Town Music) that were kind of a letdown
but this is overall an okay pick to end it on

zferolie

Smash Hero
WHAT?!?! YOU MEAN THEY ACTUALLY WENT THROUGH WITH THIS?! A POPULAR FAN-REQUESTED PICK?!?

People online are gonna be such *ssholes, lol. Sora fans seem pretty cool in general, but they are gonna gloat BIG TIME now that he's actually in. Hey, they deserve it! I'm happy for them!
Maybe this was the big surprise, huh? Heh. We all expected someone smaller, but we got a huge (for most other people, not for me) reveal instead. I guess no one really expected it after all...
Yeah we all expected someone smalled, but I guess because he won the ballot way back in the day, they knew they had to try and get him in at the end. I guess negotiations took a very long time

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
I'm not gonna pretend that I'm hyped for Sora. I honestly don't care at all about Sora and KH and I'm even pretty disappointed but I can say that the trailer looked nice (I just saw it lol) and I'll give credit to Sakurai and his team for all their hard work over the past 3 years. Good job

At least Touhou got more attention from people (I hope not from the wrong people though).

I honestly think that when the next game will be announced in like 6-7 years, I wouldn't really care. But it would be nice to see Reimu getting in as the first indie character. Let's hope that the smash team will be highly responsive to prayers by then (Marisa would be better though)

Ruler of Subspace

Smash Apprentice
Honestly? I'm sad and disappointed, not as much as I was when he was first revealed. I'm starting to warm up to the guy. Sakurai can make anyone interesting. It ended on such a celebratory note and that's what matters most to me. I'm happy for all of the Kingdom Hearts fans, but I'm not one of them yet. I have all of the mainline games, I just need to play them.

My question is, where do we go from here? Smash won't be back for around a decade.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Sora without Disney... This really feels like a waste to me, and I don't even like KH. And that moveset is so boring... I would have taken anything as long as the moveset is nice, but this won't do for me.

Last edited:

Ruler of Subspace

Smash Apprentice
Sora without Disney... This really feels like a waste to me, and I don't even like KH.
Well, Mickey's on the Keyblade and Sora is Disney, but that's about it. I feel like it would've been better with me Disney characters.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
What an insane presentation, holy ****!
AAAAAHHHH YOU GUYS!!!!! MY BIRTHDAY PACKAGE JUST CAME IN TODAY!!! I'M SOOOOO HAPPY!!!! THIS IS THE BEST GIFT I COULD'VE ASKED FOR!! (besides the obvious)

View attachment 333099View attachment 333101
Well hello fellow DDC enjoyer.
1633449580393.png

Very happy to hear you're having fun! My first time succesfully clearing EoSD's extra stage is among my most treasured video game memories and I hope you'll get a similar satisfaction once you beat it. :>

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Honestly even if you don't like sora, you gotta appreciate the effort it took to get the guy in. SE, Disney of Japan, Disney International, the different owners of the music. it's a legal nightmare
I'd prefer them to make more effort into movesets rather than just getting some guy in. This pass had great movesets so I'm really disappointed with this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom