• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
reading all these posts since i was last here, its clearly showing that touhou is on a major push recently. ZUN getting prime train interviews, Flowers getting release, news on the next 2 games coming 2 japan. Touhou is just getting bigger and bigger.

If Touhou for smash is coming, it would make sense for it to be now, with all the growing popularity and mainstream attention.

Plus, I still don't think anyone has been able to explained the hurtbox removal glitch which just seems 100% grazing mechanics...

In other hearwarming news, have this story about a many with his Cirno Fumo falling into a river, but people rescuing it and returning it.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I mean, the marketing consultant behind this recent Touhou push is the company responsible for FGO and Persona 5 since the very beginning of their planning stage. They have to have some kind of visions for all these actions to lead up to something.

zferolie

Smash Hero
If you don't mind...would you like to share when your story of how you got into the series? I'm very interested in learning the history of Touhou fans and their journey to becoming fans!
Honestly i don't remember much. I just remember going through safebooru and finding marisa stole the precious thing. kept going down the rabbit whole and found the series and characters, fell in love with Tewi the best prankster and troll, and just been following the series since.

I suck at the games, thats for sure, but just the massive amount of them and fan love kept me in.

As a potential future Fumo owner, this **** terrifies me.

As basic as the stories of the games are, Imperishable Night actually has a pretty damn good one for how bare bones it is.
I have a few Fumos myself. i mostly just keep them on display in my house

I mean, the marketing consultant behind this recent Touhou push is the company responsible for FGO and Persona 5 since the very beginning of their planning stage. They have to have some kind of visions for all these actions to lead up to something.
Indeed. I didn't know the FGO company was involved(Sony?) but it is curious where they may be leading up to.

God, an TOuhou FGO crossover. when please?

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
You guys were talking and wondering about the nonexisting Touhou logo the previous page.
https://www.taito.co.jp/mob/topics/4720

2hu.png

the Taito mobile game Rakugaki Kingdom's long before announced Touhou collaboration uses only text.
No special graphics, no fan design, not the hecking Final Fantasy image everyone uses. Its just text.
Often times, other companies that collab with Touhou do it in a similar fashion of just creating an own logo.
So dont really think too much about it.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
God, an TOuhou FGO crossover. when please?
Please no.

What happened to Fate is the perfect example of a franchise that became corrupted by popularity and mainstream appeal. I generally disagree with people wanting Touhou to remain as obscure as possible, because I believe there are ways to do it correctly. But what happened to Fate is definitely something I want to avoid for Touhou.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
My idea for the Hakurei Shrine stage is that there would be 4 versions based on each season (which are very prominent in most Touhou games I feel), with different added details from some of the games (even though I've played every game until now I still have a hard time remembering characters and most importantly events so feel free to tell me what event details you would add to the idea I came up with ^^) :
-Summer/Mid Day : Pretty much the regular version of the stage, after a certain amount of time however the red scarlet mist covers up the sky for a little bit (Touhou 6).
-Autumn/Dusk : Beautiful sunset in the background, the leaves from the trees are falling all over the stage (Touhou 16 reference I guess). For a little bit you can see the giant from Touhou 12.3 (very specific I know lol), and after a little it will start raining for a certain period of the time.
-Winter/Dawn : Snowing with a sunrise in the background. Sometimes the stage gets more foggy and it's a bit harder to see. There are so many stages in Touhou games where it's snowing that it can literally be a reference to anything lol.
-Spring/Night time : This one is the one I like the most; Hakurei Shrine in night time, cherry trees with glowing leaves and spirits going in the sky/background (Touhou 7/Touhou 13). All the time the moon is present in the background, after a while the cherry trees stop glowing, and the moon changes into the fake moon (Touhou 8). During that period of time, little UFOs can be seen floating in the background (Touhou 12). And finally, after some time passes, the fake moon breaks, and the stage resets to the beginning.

Idk I really like the idea of giving different versions to the stage, since the Hakurei Shrine is seen with so many different weather conditions and time periods in the games, also allows to represent a lot of the Touhou games through several forms with more than just "ima put 50 character cameos in this *****" (not that I wouldn't want that many cameos to begin with mind you :p)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I have a few Fumos myself. i mostly just keep them on display in my house
Wouldn't be much different than me. It's definitely an unjustified fear since I'd never put a Fumo in danger like that. lol. But still, the thought of losing something that expensive due to it falling in a river just bothers me.

I have to wait until May for my Fumo to ship and even then I still have wait for my proxy to get it. It's gonna be a long wait.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Please no.

What happened to Fate is the perfect example of a franchise that became corrupted by popularity and mainstream appeal. I generally disagree with people wanting Touhou to remain as obscure as possible, because I believe there are ways to do it correctly. But what happened to Fate is definitely something I want to avoid for Touhou.
I'm sorry to be such a bother, but you mind giving me the run-down on what exactly happened to it? I know next to nothing myself, so I want you to educate me on some changes that someone who is a FILTHY casual of that series like me would never pick up on. (I said that last part as a joke, don't take it seriously!)

the Taito mobile game Rakugaki Kingdom's long before announced Touhou collaboration uses only text.
No special graphics, no fan design, not the hecking Final Fantasy image everyone uses. Its just text.
I also meant for that to be a joke

Your idea sounds cool too! I can't believe I almost forgot about that game...

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Please no.

Don't know what you're talking about, other than adaptation and spin-off which doesn't really scream "corrupted", it's actually the opposite and FGO is just a side dish that Type/Moon sometimes care about, the main one being Stay Night which they handle pretty good with the anime where it is the reason the series is mistaken for an anime. It's pretty balance all things consider, they even have enough time to revived Tsukihime.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Don't know what you're talking about, other than adaptation and spin-off which doesn't really scream "corrupted", it's actually the opposite and FGO is just a side dish that Type/Moon sometimes care about, the main one being Stay Night which they handle pretty good with the anime where it is the reason the series is mistaken for an anime. It's pretty balance all things consider, they even have enough time to revived Tsukihime.
Couldn't have put it better myself. I personally wrote an entire thread dedicated to exposing the surprising video game origins of some characters, which actually include both Reimu and Saber. Please excuse the shameless plug lol

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry to be such a bother, but you mind giving me the run-down on what exactly happened to it? I know next to nothing myself, so I want you to educate me on some changes that someone who is a FILTHY casual of that series like me would never pick up on. (I said that last part as a joke, don't take it seriously!)
Sorry but I won't be able give you a run-down because it would be way too long and I'm not fan enough to be completely accurate. Besides I purposely stay away from all that stuff, for the same reason I stay away from most of Touhou fan stuff except music. In the end, it makes sense since all Fate side content feels like bad fanfictions that became official and that exactly what I fear for Touhou.

For the anime side of it. The first anime of Fate Stay/Night was decent for its time (2006), I liked it. Later it got other anime adaptations made by Ufotable that are really good. Nowadays Fate has literally dozens of anime spin-offs, most notably among many others : Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya, Fate/Extra: Last Encore, Fate/Grand Order: First Order, Fate/Apocrypha ...
They are all made by different studios, I've counted more that 10+ different studios that made Fate stuff recently. Only Ufotable stuff is actually worth your time, the rest has very varying quality but they are all considered pretty bad by critics and probably only appeal to established fans of the franchise. To me, it seems they are basically throwing money everywhere to milk the franchise as fast as possible without any care for artistic or narrative consistency.
The biggest offender among them for me is Fate/kaleid, which not only seems as bad as the others, but also regularly puts actual lolis in explicit sexual situations. That is definitely something I don't want to see in official Touhou.

Now considering FGO, the game that made the franchise even more popular. Well it's a gacha game, so firstly it's not the most healthy monetization model where they basically sell png image for hundreds of dollars to gambling addicts. I wouldn't mind too much if they hadn't gone too strong on fanservice. But just like in fire emblem heroes, they don't miss a single occasion to sell you skins of girls in bikini even though it doesn't make any sense in context.
So it's yet another thing where there are basically milking the franchise as long as it works. I would prefer Touhou to stay as far as gacha games as possible, unless it's an actual good game that doesn't rely on fanservice, but it's pretty rare coming from gacha games. I know some Touhou gachas already exist and I just wish they never existed, but it's fine for now since they are not too popular.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Sorry but I won't be able give you a run-down because it would be way too long and I'm not fan enough to be completely accurate. Besides I purposely stay away from all that stuff, for the same reason I stay away from most of Touhou fan stuff except music. In the end, it makes sense since all Fate side content feels like bad fanfictions that became official and that exactly what I fear for Touhou.

For the anime side of it. The first anime of Fate Stay/Night was decent for its time (2006), I liked it. Later it got other anime adaptations made by Ufotable that are really good. Nowadays Fate has literally dozens of anime spin-offs, most notably among many others : Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya, Fate/Extra: Last Encore, Fate/Grand Order: First Order, Fate/Apocrypha ...
They are all made by different studios, I've counted more that 10+ different studios that made Fate stuff recently. Only Ufotable stuff is actually worth your time, the rest has very varying quality but they are all considered pretty bad by critics and probably only appeal to established fans of the franchise. To me, it seems they are basically throwing money everywhere to milk the franchise as fast as possible without any care for artistic or narrative consistency.
The most offender among them for me is Fate/kaleid, which is not only seems as bad as the others, but also regularly puts actual lolis in explicit sexual situations. That is definitely something I don't want to see in official Touhou.

Now considering FGO, the game that made the franchise even more popular. Well it's a gacha game, so firstly it's not the most healthy monetization model where they basically sell png image for hundreds of dollars to gambling addicts. I wouldn't mind too much if they hadn't gone too strong on fanservice. But just like in fire emblem heroes, they don't miss a single occasion to sell you skins of girls in bikini even though it doesn't make any sense in context.
So it's yet another thing where there are basically milking the franchise as long as it works. I would prefer Touhou to stay as far as gacha games as possible, unless it's an actual good game that doesn't rely on fanservice, but it's pretty rare coming from gacha games. I know some Touhou gachas already exist and I just wish they never existed, but it's fine for now since they are not too popular.
Well, for the spin-off I'd say that at least they didn't try their hardest to string in stories to fit Stay Night and just do what they do, most of the anime actually is an adaptation of the novel itself more than an original anime or game series which I highly recommended cause it's a hidden gem even among the internal fandom, the Emiya cooking spin-off and Kaleid feels more like a what-if scenario of Stay Night in different, I never really care about the things that they did in Kaleid as I always block that out when enjoying it, if it's literally the whole entire plot that's a different story and from what you described it doesn't happened frequently.

For gacha.. I'm indifferent, excuse me if I sound really snotty but as a person who always save up their money the addiction don't really affected me that much but I know that this is a rare situation for a gacha lover like me. I'm not really bothered with the swimsuit variation as it's the best way to expand their personalities in a more cheerful and relaxing manner (and of course fan service) but I'm moreso upset about different variation of those same character like an evil version or a pure version of them but I'm guessing it work successfully since I've seen more love for JAlter than regular Jeanne.

For Touhou tho I mean you literally have to expect that to happened in the future, not saying you have to think the worst outcome but eventually Touhou Lost World will became popular at some point in the future and will probably run out of character to include and eventually pervy dating sim game will probably pop out soon and with how ZUN more open to work with fan artist expect them to twist a certain narrative or even their appearance like what happened to Yuugi.

Tho, I will say that saying Fate is a "corrupted" series is a literal far cry when other company do this milking session as a full time job.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Nowadays Fate has literally dozens of anime spin-offs, most notably among many others : Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya, Fate/Extra: Last Encore, Fate/Grand Order: First Order, Fate/Apocrypha ...
In all fairness, All of those (Besides maybe first Order, I'm not well versed enough in Grand Order to know the majority about it) are adaptions of previous works, Prisma Illya being about 14 years old and Aprocrypha content being about 10 years old.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hey, so uh

Downloaded the UM demo, but I'm having trouble patching in the translation. Does THCRAP just not patch demos, or am I just doing something wrong? A quick walkthrough would be nice, because I have no idea what I'm doing here.

EDIT: Welp, figured it out. Quickly nabbed the HFiFS demo too, while I was at it.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Tho, I will say that saying Fate is a "corrupted" series is a literal far cry when other company do this milking session as a full time job.
So it's fine because everyone is doing it ?
Anyways, my point is that they actually milk it as a full time job and they do far more milking than anything else.

For Touhou tho I mean you literally have to expect that to happened in the future, not saying you have to think the worst outcome but eventually Touhou Lost World will became popular at some point in the future and will probably run out of character to include and eventually pervy dating sim game will probably pop out soon and with how ZUN more open to work with fan artist expect them to twist a certain narrative or even their appearance like what happened to Yuugi.
Then again, you consider this "normal", but I don't think it's the case, fanservice culture is still a subculture and is not to me considered the most mainstream thing, even in Japan.
So you think it should be expected because it's common. But I disagree, all of that you mention are fangames and non-canon, this makes a huge difference. It's the same for derivative narrative or appearance, they are non-canon and I hope it stays that way. For now there is no reason to believe ZUN would allow anything canon to show unfitting narrative or sexy appearance of characters, so I don't think it will happen.

And I don't think Touhou Lost World will ever become popular, the game just doesn't have mainstream appeal like FGO does, most Touhou fangames have this issue. I see two ways of making a gacha works, either you represent officially an existing very popular license and it will work even if your game is ****. Either you make a better game. FGO had both to some extent, Touhou Lost World has nothing.

In all fairness, All of those (Besides maybe first Order, I'm not well versed enough in Grand Order to know the majority about it) are adaptions of previous works, Prisma Illya being about 14 years old and Aprocrypha content being about 10 years old.
I was only discussing the overall bad quality of their adaptation, it doesn't matter if they existed before or not, the point is that they decided to make these anime adaptations. They decided to not care about the quality of these adaptations, or maybe they didn't care of the quality of what they were adapting in the first place. On the contrary, Fate/zero, which, if I'm not mistaken, was written for its anime, was actually very good. This just confirms that they don't even want to write new stuff anymore, at this point they are simply scraping the bottom of the barrel to sell as much stuff as possible.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if... they actually covered AoCF in this...?

doubt it, but would be awesome

and that’s the only reason i posted here after a long time back to my hiatus

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up. Touhou's arguably one of the biggest indie game franchises on the planet, and AoCF's coming westward, too, so having an Indie World showing this is extremely likely.

Maybe it'll also have a specific Touhou-related announcement we've been waiting for and dreaming about, too...OK, definitely not, but hey, a fan can dream lol

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice

I guess they'll show it, the game comes out soon and they would probably want to promote it.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Then again, you consider this "normal", but I don't think it's the case, fanservice culture is still a subculture and is not to me considered the most mainstream thing, even in Japan.
So you think it should be expected because it's common. But I disagree, all of that you mention are fangames and non-canon, this makes a huge difference. It's the same for derivative narrative or appearance, they are non-canon and I hope it stays that way. For now there is no reason to believe ZUN would allow anything canon to show unfitting narrative or sexy appearance of characters, so I don't think it will happen.
I don't know why you consider the spin-off made with the assistance of ZUN himself a "fan-game" when literally ZUN make Violet Detector starring Sumireko (according to the response you quoted) just to put a stigma that "Touhou will be pure as always and you can't convince me!" I mean I know that Kimono Yuugi hadn't appeared on the bullet hell game yet but in the spin-off it'll probably be her staple design considering it is used again in Goyouku Ibun and don't ask me why I'm certain about it, it's just a feeling I have going forward. And even then ZUN didn't even bat an eye. And also I don't know if you count fanservice mainstream or not but even the most harmless japanese media (excluding the ones targeted for toddler) has fanservice sprinkled inside and outside which is a lot and probably why it is the most embarrassing side of an otaku in the eyes of the general public and you call it a subculture for being the most stand out? Just look at how many swimsuit figurine there are!

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I was only discussing the overall bad quality of their adaptation, it doesn't matter if they existed before or not, the point is that they decided to make these anime adaptations. They decided to not care about the quality of these adaptations, or maybe they didn't care of the quality of what they were adapting in the first place. On the contrary, Fate/zero, which, if I'm not mistaken, was written for its anime, was actually very good. This just confirms that they don't even want to write new stuff anymore, at this point they are simply scraping the bottom of the barrel to sell as much stuff as possible.
I wouldn't consider either bad or poor quality. Hell, Prisma Illya has one of the best fights I've seen with Archer Illya vs Saber Alter. Also, Fate/Zero was a light novel before an anime. Hell, most anime in general is an adaption of some sort. Very few are anime originals.

I wonder if Japan's getting this one. Either way, I do hope AoCF gets covered in this.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
They are still expanding Fate universe tho.
I think they are now going with Fate/strange Fake, Fate/typeRedline and Fate/Requiem.
Probably strange Fake will be adapted to anime sometimes after it ends. Then Requiem probably after Prototype or Blue Silver Fragments?
Usually it takes years to get anime adaptations. Fate Zero was first published in 2006 then 5 years later the anime was aired. And Zero was a special case, since they wanted to make 2011 the year of Urobuchi.

TBF, Fate/Zero had some quite a backlash and fans were upset at that time for cutting out loads of content even after BD version came out. And in terms of Sakuga quality (I mean by Sakuga in Japanese), Fate/Zero was one of shows infamous for bluffing with flashy after effects to disguise pretty tame and lacklustre Sakuga and Tate.
I agree Zero is still the best Fate anime to this date in terms of overall enjoyment but the other adaptations aren't so bad either.
When you just look at Sakuga and Tate qualities, Prisma Iliya exceeds Zero by far.
Even the Deen adaptation of Fate route wasn't that bad and well received at that time. Flashiness isn't everything.

And you know what, the real worst Fate anime is the Deen adaptation of UBW route which people don't even know this movie exists.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Actually surprised that AoCF wasn't on the direct (or maybe it was? i wasn't paying that much attention). Oh well

The TMNT game looks really good tho.
I'm kinda surprised, too, considering it's coming to the West and fits the criteria of "indie game" and all. Maybe it's in the Japanese version?

EDIT: Though come to think of it, Touhou does seem big enough to be in a regular Direct. I mean, it's the Indie Gamer's Dragon Quest over there in Japan.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'm kinda surprised, too, considering it's coming to the West and fits the criteria of "indie game" and all. Maybe it's in the Japanese version?

EDIT: Though come to think of it, Touhou does seem big enough to be in a regular Direct. I mean, it's the Indie Gamer's Dragon Quest over there in Japan.
Isn't the deal about Indie Direct is introducing new game? From what I've seen lately there's never been any announcement in that kind of direct for a port other than a simultaneous release on other console or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
pain peko.jpg

Also I did this
depression.jpg

Isn't the deal about Indie Direct is introducing new game? From what I've seen lately there's never been any announcement in that kind of direct for a port other than a simultaneous release on other console or am I missing something?
I mean, the Among Us port to the Switch was anounced at the last indie world, so I don't think so.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean maybe Silksong and/or Touhou would steal the thunder from everyone else so that they’d need to be shown in a full direct? They’re SUPER popular, vs say Ori which had a bit of a cult following and Among Us which only gained steady surges in popularity recently

OXENFREE 2 THO HOLY **** THE ORIGINAL WAS A NARRATIVE EXPERIENCE AND YOU GOTTA PLAY IT

that’s all I’m just here to share my thoughts on the indie direct

also cries in no Gunvolt 3 but wasn’t that delayed anyhow idk

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Actually surprised that AoCF wasn't on the direct (or maybe it was? i wasn't paying that much attention). Oh well

The TMNT game looks really good tho.
I don't think any of us were surprised by the lack of Touhou in the video. What I am surprised about is how unlike Hollow Knight fans, Touhou fans did not make a huge commotion out of it(or maybe they did, idk. I didn't see the live chat, which is apparently a blessing in disguise if the comments are anything to go by).

I'm actually quite interested in the first game, personally. And the game made by the Mexican studio! I am half-Mexican myself (though, I cant speak much Spanish myself...), and the game actually looked cool, so I might play those games in the future!

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I didn't expect much because it's an Indie World, and I doubt that a franchise juggernaut is going to realistically show up at Nintendo's show about up and coming developers. But fun little video.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I didn't expect much because it's an Indie World, and I doubt that a franchise juggernaut is going to realistically show up at Nintendo's show about up and coming developers. But fun little video.
TBF, we literally got a Konami game. A lesser known game, sure, but it's not something I'd consider indie, which really has me question why it was even in the presentation to begin with.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's developed by an indie developer, even if it's a Konami IP. Same as why there's a TMNT game in there too.
Kind of defeats the purpose if it's being published by Konami, though, at least in my opinion. To use Wayforward as an example, I wouldn't consider their licensed games (Regular Show, Adventure Time, Mummy de-mastered) as indie titles, but games like Shantae or Switch Force are indie.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well, I finally got around to playing the demo. I'm very glad they go onto Steam these days - thanks, Toby! As expected, it was a lot of fun. I particularly enjoy still having high movespeed to zip around with while unloading a Master Spark. Nice to have Sakuya back after so long, too. Looking forward to the full thing!

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Hey, maybe you guys already talked about this and I'm just to lay to look back and check, but wouldn't it be cool if they used Touhou 15.5 as part of Reimu's reveal trailer should she get in? Or just any official Touhou game? I have no idea how they are going to show it in a way that doesn't seem out of place in a normal direct. I don't even think we are getting another Indie Direct anytime soon.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Hey, maybe you guys already talked about this and I'm just to lay to look back and check, but wouldn't it be cool if they used Touhou 15.5 as part of Reimu's reveal trailer should she get in? Or just any official Touhou game? I have no idea how they are going to show it in a way that doesn't seem out of place in a normal direct. I don't even think we are getting another Indie Direct anytime soon.
What do you mean by incorporating it into her trailer? Maybe like Hero where the trailer for the game start after the actual reveal or just reenact scenes from the game in the reveal?

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean by incorporating it into her trailer? Maybe like Hero where the trailer for the game start after the actual reveal or just reenact scenes from the game in the reveal?
Yes, I was referring to the former, though I also had Terry in mind when I wrote that as well.
I don't know why, but I always think of Imperishable Night as the game that would start off the reveal trailer. I also think about how cool it would be to incorperate the partner system from that game in the same vain as Pyra/Mythra, with slight differences

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master

So they just released footage of AoCF on Switch and...this is interesting. There are English subtitles in addition to the original Japanese text at the bottom of the screen. Spell Cards still aren't translated (Though I hope that gets fixed in a Day 1 patch), and the game starts off fully in Japanese, prompting non-Japanese readers/speakers to change that in the options menu, but hey, the gameplay still looks good.

Top Bottom