• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Speaking of fan content: now I absolutely know that Sakurai will most likely exclusively use ZUN art or Twilight Frontier art for the Spirit Board, but imagine if he contacted well-known Touhou doujin mangaka like Warugaki or Zounose for some of the Spirits! It'd be a nice way to have a nod to the fan side of the Touhou community, without delving into fangames!

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Taking stuff from the fangames is an interesting topic to delve through, and I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to do that to better represent Touhou not just as a game but as a fan phenomenon, although I think he would just take stuff from the mainline games.
I think Touhou has shown itself that it has reached cultural phenomenon status for the past couple years. What with all the collabs with those shops (I've already mentioned the official Touhou x Sanrio collab possibly done for it's growing demographic of children, but there has been collabs with a shop in Akihabara called atre, selling things like Touhou-themed goods and even official Touhou media, and a cafe called Animate Cafe serving Touhou-themed drinks. Ahhh, just seeing videos of them made my mouth water~! I want to buy them all!)

At this point, I would love it if Sakurai, in some way, to also pay homage to just how much of a cultural impact Touhou has made.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
As cool as that would be, Sakurai's gone on record multiple times stating that the last two slots of FP2 will be the end. Until further notice, I'm of the mindset that CP11 is the last fighter of SSBU.
Regarding that, Sakurai said he will personnally have two more presentations, this doesn't exclude DLC continuing without him. Interestingly, in the same presentation, he revealed that the trailer wasn't directed by him for the first time ever. I think this might indicate that they are preparing to continue DLC without Sakurai.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
The mental gymnastics of some people in the Smash speculation

They could tell you straight up "This is it. There will be nothing more and nothing else outside of what I have mentioned"
and there will still be people saying "Okay, but what if this was a trick" No. Sometimes things are actually to be taken at face value.
Not everything has to be a secret hint and 200 IQ Chess to troll the Smash Community just so that you get the better outcome.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Speaking of fan content: now I absolutely know that Sakurai will most likely exclusively use ZUN art or Twilight Frontier art for the Spirit Board, but imagine if he contacted well-known Touhou doujin mangaka like Warugaki or Zounose for some of the Spirits! It'd be a nice way to have a nod to the fan side of the Touhou community, without delving into fangames!
That would be cool but I could only imagine that applied to character like Rinnosuke and Akyuu, character that appear outside the games. Tho, I'm mostly looking forward to ZUN making new artwork for series icon like Flandre, Remilia and some fairies like Lily White and Daiyousei.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That would be cool but I could only imagine that applied to character like Rinnosuke and Akyuu, character that appear outside the games. Tho, I'm mostly looking forward to ZUN making new artwork for series icon like Flandre, Remilia and some fairies like Lily White and Daiyousei.
What do you mean, this is top-tier artwork!
1617547957248.png
1617547963868.png

:4pacman:
Shaky old pieces of artwork will never not be funny

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
What do you mean, this is top-tier artwork!
View attachment 309899View attachment 309900
:4pacman:
Shaky old pieces of artwork will never not be funny
Flandre is fine but the rest didn't age well
The mental gymnastics of some people in the Smash speculation

They could tell you straight up "This is it. There will be nothing more and nothing else outside of what I have mentioned"

and there will still be people saying "Okay, but what if this was a trick" No. Sometimes things are actually to be taken at face value.

Not everything has to be a secret hint and 200 IQ Chess to troll the Smash Community just so that you get the better outcome.
The funny thing is that people in the Smash Speculation are just a complete doomer

"Remember guys, new Pokemon is inevitable" "Oh, and 2 of our frontrunner got deconfirmed"
"Welp, guess I'll oof myself"

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
HOLY SH**!! YOU GUYS GOTTA KNOW ABOUT THIS!

On March 29th, 2021, ZUN did an interview with CREATIVE TRAINS, the PR youtube channel of the JR company. I, being the overly obsessive Touhou-loving NEET that I am, decided to look at this interview, but not without looking in the comments to see if any anglophone Touhou fans have any Ideas of what is being said. And there it was, One comment that has everything translated, from the standard questions that have been answered a million times, to some more personal questions relating to his career. But before that, there was a note that mentioned that there have been a myriad of trains that are part of the JR lineup, broadcasting a short version of the interview! "Egads!" I thought to myself, "I've heard of many instances of touhou out in public, ESCPECIALLY in Japan, but I just can't see something like THIS ever happening so soon!" And sure enough, I looked on twitter, under the #ZUN hashtag, There they were:

https://twitter.com/Tatsuki9640/status/1376847718132326403

https://twitter.com/kirakokirako/status/1378230052052103171
https://twitter.com/XelvisRR/status/1378156459926560770
https://twitter.com/miku_ik/status/1378593050990051330

On that faithful day of the shooting of the interview, the unsuspecting people of Japan, from Kagashima, Kyushu to Sapporo, Hokkaido, would be blessed with the beautiful image of God himself, ZUN, The four links I've provided above were the lucky few that were able to catch the rare sightings of our lord and savior. At this point, Touhou has now entered the public consciousness. It will be compared to likes of Dragon Ball and Studio Ghibli as a franchise that will be as important as those two, not just to the people who like it, but to the image of the entire country! This franchise could theoretically gain an even higher status if--no, when it gets government recognition. Something along the lines of when the 44th President Of The United States, Barack Obama, mentioning Spongebob Squarepants as his favorite cartoon character. Then, and ONLY Then, will Touhou have the chance to take over THE WORLD! I have said this before,and I will say it again: TOUHOU WILL LIVE ON FOR GENERATIONS TO COME.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master

On March 29th, 2021, ZUN did an interview with CREATIVE TRAINS, the PR youtube channel of the JR company. I, being the overly obsessive Touhou-loving NEET that I am, decided to look at this interview, but not without looking in the comments to see if any anglophone Touhou fans have any Ideas of what is being said. And there it was, One comment that has everything translated, from the standard questions that have been answered a million times, to some more personal questions relating to his career. But before that, there was a note that mentioned that there have been a myriad of trains that are part of the JR lineup, broadcasting a short version of the interview! "Egads!" I thought to myself, "I've heard of many instances of touhou out in public, ESCPECIALLY in Japan, but I just can't see something like THIS ever happening so soon!" And sure enough, I looked on twitter, under the #ZUN hashtag, There they were:

On that faithful day of the shooting of the interview, the unsuspecting people of Japan, from Kagashima, Kyushu to Sapporo, Hokkaido, would be blessed with the beautiful image of God himself, ZUN, The four links I've provided above were the lucky few that were able to catch the rare sightings of our lord and savior. At this point, Touhou has now entered the public consciousness. It will be compared to likes of Dragon Ball and Studio Ghibli as a franchise that will be as important as those two, not just to the people who like it, but to the image of the entire country! This franchise could theoretically gain an even higher status if--no, when it gets government recognition. Something along the lines of when the 44th President Of The United States, Barack Obama, mentioning Spongebob Squarepants as his favorite cartoon character. Then, and ONLY Then, will Touhou have the chance to take over THE WORLD! I have said this before,and I will say it again: TOUHOU WILL LIVE ON FOR GENERATIONS TO COME.
Sis, et inveniar in paradiso ad orientem....
Sis, et inveniar in paradiso ad orientem.
SIS, ET INVENIAR IN PARADISO AD ORIENTEM!
SIS, ET INVENIAR IN PARADISO AD ORIENTEM!

SIS, ET INVENIAR IN PARADISO AD ORIENTEM!!
SIS, ET INVENIAR IN PARADISO AD ORIENTEM!!!

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Well... You're certainly passionate, that much I can tell...

ZUN-worshipping aside, from what I can gather, the details are that ZUN had an interview with a big company, and said interview was broadcasted throughout a bunch of trains, showing that it's big enough to get broadcasted throughout the general public. If so, sweet.

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Okay...I've taken a breather since I've made that post. In all honesty, I was kinda exaggerating at first, but the more I've written, the more fired-up I've become in the process. When you've been a fan of something for as long as I have and got into It as early an age as I did, at some point, It stops being a hobby, and it becomes your life amition. To me, It feels comparable to being in a romantic relationship with someone, except the "honeymoon phase" never goes by! I guess it did recline when I became more into vocaloid between 2016-2018, but now? It's like there's never a dull moment in my life when I with [Touhou]~
Heh, I can't believe I'm really talking like this about Touhou...

ZUN-worshipping aside, from what I can gather, the details are that ZUN had an interview with a big company, and said interview was broadcasted throughout a bunch of trains, showing that it's big enough to get broadcasted throughout the general public. If so, sweet.
Believe it or not, I am capable of having casual conversations about Touhou! If you want a casual opinion from me, I'm just happy to see someone like ZUN get have his creations become so widespread in a manner like this. I don't even feel spite if something like this happens to other series' like Touhou (I really don't care for KanColle). I'm generally happy for them!

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

The short version of this interview was actually airing on train TV. Maybe still is.
That time I saw ZUN on there when I was heading to work tho.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
The short version of this interview was actually airing on train TV. Maybe still is.
That time I saw ZUN on there when I was heading to work tho.
I'm curious how your coworkers reacted to this. Unless they aren't fans or they just don't know about it at all, the latter of which I'm very doubtful of.

This is crazy! I've never thought I'd be talking to someone who's experienced it first hand...you're so lucky!

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I went ahead and tried to make what I feel is a hypothetical splash screen for if Reimu gets announced.
View attachment 310310

I tried to emulate that sort of "Japanese calligraphy" feel with the kanji and didn't do much of a good job tbh, but it's pretty much how I envision it.
You see...this is actually my biggest concern with the idea of this happening. Let's say that Reimu fits the criteria and will be a perfect candidate for a fighter. What logo are they gonna use to represent the series? Last time I checked, Touhou (the franchise) has no real universal logo for people to easily identify it. This might be a problem. Each game has its own logo, but there has never been one to represent the franchise. Maybe I'm just be bad at remembering things, and this may end up not mattering in the future, but I cannot recall a time where a series that has been included needed some makeshift logo for the series as a whole.

I just made myself sad now.....guess I'll go off to sulk somewhere...please let me be wrong.
Coll design, though!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You see...this is actually my biggest concern with the idea of this happening. Let's say that Reimu fits the criteria and will be a perfect candidate for a fighter. What logo are they gonna use to represent the series? Last time I checked, Touhou (the franchise) has no real universal logo for people to easily identify it. This might be a problem. Each game has its own logo, but there has never been one to represent the franchise. Maybe I'm just be bad at remembering things, and this may end up not mattering in the future, but I cannot recall a time where a series that has been included needed some makeshift logo for the series as a whole.

I just made myself sad now.....guess I'll go off to sulk somewhere...please let me be wrong.
I remember the Reimu for Smash account posted some logos a while back. Can't find the original tweet, but I did create this from the the 25th anniversary logo
1617768019889.png

At the very least, it's semi-official by virtue of being edited from an official logo.

EDIT: Found Reimu For Smash's logos

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

imo, just keep it simple. Use AoCF's Logo

The logo in the post above works too

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If we have a situation where they just nab a fanmade Touhou logo off the internet because it's the first thing that popped up when they plugged "Touhou logo" in the search bar, I'm gonna keel over laughing. I want that timeline for the sheer hilarity of it all.
They already did that with Mother 3 Spirits. lol. The ones originally in the game were from some Deviant Art user.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
They already did that with Mother 3 Spirits. lol. The ones originally in the game were from some Deviant Art user.
I know, that's why I'm considering the possibility in the first place. There's actually a nonzero chance of it happening, assuming they don't just take the titles from the actual owners. Assuming they don't, though... Hoo boy...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
AoCM's up for preorder in the US!
Kinda debating if I wanna get it on the Switch or not. On one hand, I'm stuck with the rather sub-par official translation. On the other hand, I've already just watched a Let's Play of the story mode and I know what goes on anyways, and the only thing I haven't experienced from that is the actual gameplay. Besides, if I ever want to bust it out for when I have friends over, I doubt they'd care very much about the standard after-battle dialogue.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Kinda debating if I wanna get it on the Switch or not. On one hand, I'm stuck with the rather sub-par official translation. On the other hand, I've already just watched a Let's Play of the story mode and I know what goes on anyways, and the only thing I haven't experienced from that is the actual gameplay. Besides, if I ever want to bust it out for when I have friends over, I doubt they'd care very much about the standard after-battle dialogue.
I'd like to think they redid all the translations from scratch, despite some of the screenshots they used here. Because honestly, Phoenixx's published games seem to have some pretty good translations as far as I know.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd like to think they redid all the translations from scratch, despite some of the screenshots they used here. Because honestly, Phoenixx's published games seem to have some pretty good translations as far as I know.
I dunno... The fact that they've been using the original translation in all the screenshots and trailers makes me think they stuck with that one. If we got a redone translation, I feel like we'd have seen it by now.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I just saw AoCF's CM on TV and it has voices of maybe Reimu and Yukari?
What's going on here.
Hmm...I'm willing to bet that that's just for the commercial. I mean, it'd be something to have AoCM have full-on voice acting in any language, but honestly, the most realistic has to be that the voices are just for this commercial.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Hmm...I'm willing to bet that that's just for the commercial. I mean, it'd be something to have AoCM have full-on voice acting in any language, but honestly, the most realistic has to be that the voices are just for this commercial.
Yeah, most likely so.
But hiring two voice actors just for this one commercial?
Phoenixx must be really going for it then.

EDIT: Could be one VA using two voices tho like Pyra/Mythra.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ohh! Idea incoming:

The stage is Hakurei Shrine, but the aesthetic it has differs per use in the sense that you fight while there's an incident from past Touhou games! One game, the stage will be slightly hazed by Scarlet Mists, another will have Animal Spirits running rampant, and another still will have inhuman numbers of flowers blooming!

Sounds like a good way to embody the franchise's history, right?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ohh! Idea incoming:

The stage is Hakurei Shrine, but the aesthetic it has differs per use in the sense that you fight while there's an incident from past Touhou games! One game, the stage will be slightly hazed by Scarlet Mists, another will have Animal Spirits running rampant, and another still will have inhuman numbers of flowers blooming!

Sounds like a good way to embody the franchise's history, right?
I'd say that's a pretty reasonable idea. We've already gotten similar events before, namely the Minecraft World's varying, selectable biomes. Alternatively, we could take the Terry route, and lock the stage into certain Incidents depending on the song chosen. Granted, we can only shove in so many events at once, so we'd probably have to make it only work with songs from certain games (Which is how the SNK songs work anyways).

zferolie

Smash Hero
reading all these posts since i was last here, its clearly showing that touhou is on a major push recently. ZUN getting prime train interviews, Flowers getting release, news on the next 2 games coming 2 japan. Touhou is just getting bigger and bigger.

If Touhou for smash is coming, it would make sense for it to be now, with all the growing popularity and mainstream attention.

Plus, I still don't think anyone has been able to explained the hurtbox removal glitch which just seems 100% grazing mechanics...

In other hearwarming news, have this story about a many with his Cirno Fumo falling into a river, but people rescuing it and returning it.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
reading all these posts since i was last here, its clearly showing that touhou is on a major push recently. ZUN getting prime train interviews, Flowers getting release, news on the next 2 games coming 2 japan. Touhou is just getting bigger and bigger.

If Touhou for smash is coming, it would make sense for it to be now, with all the growing popularity and mainstream attention.

Plus, I still don't think anyone has been able to explained the hurtbox removal glitch which just seems 100% grazing mechanics...

In other hearwarming news, have this story about a many with his Cirno Fumo falling into a river, but people rescuing it and returning it.

It's just funny to me that for a game that don't offer much with only objective you have is to shoot, Touhou bring more interesting story just from the fandom itself lmao.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
It's just funny to me that for a game that don't offer much with only objective you have is to shoot, Touhou bring more interesting story just from the fandom itself lmao.
I'd still say the actual series can stir up some real crazy, interesting stuff on its own, it's just that the fandom manages to top it every time!

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I honestly got into the series because of the fandom. Marisa stole the precious thing. Aftert that just seeing all the passion the fans had for this series is intense.

Touhou and Sonic are probobly the 2 most creative video game series fandoms out there.
If you don't mind...would you like to share when your story of how you got into the series? I'm very interested in learning the history of Touhou fans and their journey to becoming fans!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

As a potential future Fumo owner, this **** terrifies me.

As basic as the stories of the games are, Imperishable Night actually has a pretty damn good one for how bare bones it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom