• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Just got done watching some demos of the game! I noticed that the difficulty is a bit higher this time around. I didn't think ZUN would make another truly difficult game for a long time after he traumatized everyone with Touhou 15 more than 5 years ago, lol. He actually stated that the latest mainline game was the easiest in the entire series (I still think that title would go to 16). If I had to be honest, The music in this game, while not bad at all, is quite slow to warm up to me(though, I was a bit surprised to find out that there is a song in this game THAT IS almost ENTIRELY USES THE MAJOR SCALE! HALLELUJAH!) Until, the 3rd stage rolled around and OH MY GOD, I was so impressed with pretty much everything about it that it hyped me up again! I was already going to stick around because I wanted to see the card mechanic be utilized more. But after the 3rd stage, I am so excited to see what else this game has in store for us!
Alright, theory time. Seeing how ZUN said that he made LoLK dificult because of how he wrote the story beforehand and made it be high stakes with powerfull characters, this could mean we're going to see another big god in UM. And considering how the japanese part of the title translates to "Rainbow Dragon", this most likely means that the final boss is either related to a dragon or a dragon. So this could means that the final boss of the game could be either what Okina was testing the heroines for, or it could another test before said threat, though this time on a more difficult scale because it's getting closer. In short, this could be the game where we meet the Dragon God, which would be so hype.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Alright, theory time. Seeing how ZUN said that he made LoLK dificult because of how he wrote the story beforehand and made it be high stakes with powerfull characters, this could mean we're going to see another big god in UM. And considering how the japanese part of the title translates to "Rainbow Dragon", this most likely means that the final boss is either related to a dragon or a dragon. So this could means that the final boss of the game could be either what Okina was testing the heroines for, or it could another test before said threat, though this time on a more difficult scale because it's getting closer. In short, this could be the game where we meet the Dragon God, which would be so hype.
Or better... We could also have another sage of Gensokyo, like what happened with Okina!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, NOW I'm thinking about the main antagonist of the entire incident since that maneki-neko turned out to be a Stage 1 boss.

The mastermind, or at least maybe one of them, would be based on a sazae-oni, a kind of Japanese shellfish demon. The only recorded legend about a sazae-oni was this one. (Check the mythology section of the link)

Something tells me that this new Sazae-oni teamed up with some other youkai to replicate the powers of Gensokyo's inhabitants, then planned to sell them all for all the money Gensokyo had to offer and get fat bucks, but something happened along the way and the cards were scattered, prompting the protagonists to investigate the incident.

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 308162
Mike Goutokuji Wazowski is now a thing

god

Damn, the Touhou fandom really is as fast as they say...
This is the very first piece of fanart of her that I can find on Danbooru. Made on the same day I announced the character on this board:

It's even part of the "Wow, that was fast" pool...

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I've always considered LoLK was more difficult because it had the checkpoint game mode. I really liked that mode, I actually finished LoLK whereas I don't usually finish Touhou games. I just don't like rerunning from the start over and over so that game mode was perfect for me. And it was pretty fun to see the death count at the end.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I know I've said this a lot on this thread, but I'm gonna say it again: when do you guys think we'll get an Indie World with an AoCF announcement? I'd like to think we'll get one soon for the following reasons:

1. It's been a good long time since the last Indie World. The announcement of an official Touhou game there would be extremely fitting. Maybe as a final announcement a la Ori and Among Us?
  2. Historically, Antinomy of Common Flowers has always had worldwide releases, and with the current JP release date of April 22nd, I'm pretty sure that's our date should such an announcement be made.
  3. Phoenixx, the guys publishing the game, is no stranger to publishing for the Switch: hell, Genso Skydrifter, another game they published, is on the Switch!

Bottom line? That JP-only release turning out worldwide seems more and more likely, and an Indie World would most certainly be the place to make such an announcement. I'm kinda hoping we'll get an Indie World in early April or something. What do you guys think, huh?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know I've said this a lot on this thread, but I'm gonna say it again: when do you guys think we'll get an Indie World with an AoCF announcement? I'd like to think so for the following reasons:

1. It's been a good long time since the last Indie Direct. The announcement of an official Touhou game there would be extremely fitting. Maybe as a final announcement a la Ori and Among Us?
  2. Historically, Antinomy of Common Flowers has always had worldwide releases, and with the current JP release date of April 22nd, I'm pretty sure that's our date should such an announcement be made.
  3. Phoenixx, the guys publishing the game, is no stranger to publishing for the Switch: hell, Genso Skydrifter, another game they published, is on the Switch!

Bottom line? That JP-only release turning out worldwide seems more and more likely, and an Indie World would most certainly be the place to make such an announcement. What do you guys think, huh?
Don’t give me hope :c

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know I've said this a lot on this thread, but I'm gonna say it again: when do you guys think we'll get an Indie World with an AoCF announcement? I'd like to think we'll get one soon for the following reasons:

1. It's been a good long time since the last Indie World. The announcement of an official Touhou game there would be extremely fitting. Maybe as a final announcement a la Ori and Among Us?

Bottom line? That JP-only release turning out worldwide seems more and more likely, and an Indie World would most certainly be the place to make such an announcement. I'm kinda hoping we'll get an Indie World in early April or something. What do you guys think, huh?
I'd say it sounds pretty reasonable. Just as long as we get a better translation...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Does Phoenixx handle translations?
From the looks of it, I'm leaning towards "yes" because practically everything on Steam they've published has been translated. The only things that haven't been translated, AFAIK, are these games:
1616517454638.png

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It looks like I was able to procure a Flandre Fumo during Gift's restock. First time ordering through them/White Rabbit Express so this is still new to me. If all goes right this will be my first Fumo.

I'm really hoping so.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
From the looks of it, I'm leaning towards "yes" because practically everything on Steam they've published has been translated. The only things that haven't been translated, AFAIK, are these games:
View attachment 308353
Lotus Labyrinth isnt yet translated and released outside of Japan because they want to wait for Aquastyle (whose Lead are also busy with Danmaku Kagura) to release their updated version (Free Upgrade basically) called Lotus Labyrinth R that not only fixes a huge amount of flaws and problems the game had as well as improving a whole lot of other things, but might actually be an entirely new game that is made from scratch and worked on by the Development Team that made TODR (Genso Wanderer Reloaded)
https://twilightnewspaper.wordpress...update-fushigi-no-gensokyo-lotus-labyrinth-r/

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Lotus Labyrinth isnt yet translated and released outside of Japan because they want to wait for Aquastyle (whose Lead are also busy with Danmaku Kagura) to release their updated version (Free Upgrade basically) called Lotus Labyrinth R that not only fixes a huge amount of flaws and problems the game had as well as improving a whole lot of other things, but might actually be an entirely new game that is made from scratch and worked on by the Development Team that made TODR (Genso Wanderer Reloaded)
https://twilightnewspaper.wordpress...update-fushigi-no-gensokyo-lotus-labyrinth-r/
Ah. I see.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Who knows? This may sound stupid, but maybe this is the reason we don't see anything about it on either of Nintendo's channels...

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
to be fair, it's not like Nintendo has a whole lot of Touhou content on their channels except for NISA's Genso Wanderer localization.
I know...
Like I said, it was bound to sound stupid, but I'll be damned if I say I still don't wanna believe it!!

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I think Best Buy? Or some electronics chain exclusive to my state
WTH!? I've been to Best But many times with my sister, and you're telling me I could've had the smallest sliver of a chance to spot it when we walked to the gaming aisle?! I WOULD'VE BOUGHT THE GAME JUST TO DROOL OVER IT EVERYDAY UNTIL I ACTUALLY GET A SWITCH!

Sorry, I get too excited over Touhou...

On second thought, maybe it isn't a good idea for Reimu to get into touhou, lest I become so excited that I die of cardiac arrest 😅

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I just thought about something about the head hurtbox glitch from a few weeks ago:

What if Reimu has grazing mechanics not just for herself...but for her opponents? Prior to Pyra & Mythra, I brought up the possibility of Reimu being partnered up with Marisa to evoke the tag-team feeling from Imperishable Night and AoCF. The reason for this conclusion? Not only does this account for all the fighters affected by the glitch, but it'll also evoke that feel similar to the likes of the Phantasmagoria games! Dim.Dream and Flower View's PvP mechanics make it not only unique in comparison to other Touhou games but also gives Sakurai precedent for when factoring the gimmick in multiplayer! Now I know this sounds next to impossible at worst, but Sakurai has put in effort in making characters before (Min Min, Steve, SF characters, etc.), and it does provide some semblance of what Touhou-related questions need answering for Smash battles.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I just thought about something about the head hurtbox glitch from a few weeks ago:

What if Reimu has grazing mechanics not just for herself...but for her opponents? Prior to Pyra & Mythra, I brought up the possibility of Reimu being partnered up with Marisa to evoke the tag-team feeling from Imperishable Night and AoCF. The reason for this conclusion? Not only does this account for all the fighters affected by the glitch, but it'll also evoke that feel similar to the likes of the Phantasmagoria games! Dim.Dream and Flower View's PvP mechanics make it not only unique in comparison to other Touhou games but also gives Sakurai precedent for when factoring the gimmick in multiplayer! Now I know this sounds next to impossible at worst, but Sakurai has put in effort in making characters before (Min Min, Steve, SF characters, etc.), and it does provide some semblance of what Touhou-related questions need answering for Smash battles.
That would just make things clunky. Grazing, flight, and projectiles would already make Reimu unique and unusual. If we apply one of those gimmicks to her opponents, it would just become a different game entirely, not just a new fighter. All the gimmicks so far, from Steve's blocks to Ryu's 1-on-1 turning, has been applied to the fighter and only the fighter that uses it, nobody else. Reimu would more than likely be the same.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
But for people who like Marisa, I think a lot of them might not like having Marisa tied to one specific character, especially since it's never happened in the series.
I mostly agree, but she has been paired up before in a couple games. Thing is, she was A: The "main" partner on the team and got the most focus, and B: She wasn't paired up with Reimu. It was with Alice in Imperishable Night, Nitori, Patchouli, and Alice again in Subterranean Animism, and Koishi in Antimony of Common Flowers' story mode. Each time, she was effectively the "face" of the duo. If we shove her into Reimu's kit, Reimu would mst likely be the default character and get more focus, and it would feel like we're just shoehorning Marisa in there for the sake of having more.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It's in english
This is pointing more and more towards a worldwide release! Here's to hoping for an Indie World with this game! Speaking of which...do you guys think this release took so long because they were making another duo of characters for the game for all platforms (Like Junko and Hecatia, or Kanako and Utsuho)? It'd be kinda like the Reisen release from ULiL...except it wouldn't be exclusive.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
So, this dropped earlier today
And once again, MinusT shows us that he's the asian guy who is just better than everyone else for 3d animation.
I've been following him since 2018 with his WIP videos of Brambly Boundaries. He's responsible for getting me back into Touhou after 3 years when the full video was released in April 2019. He's like the second coming of ZUN!

Top Bottom