• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

zriL

Smash Journeyman
That isn't the first time that they gave a character 1% chances and 0% want only because everyone HAVE to like it, not just one country. glances at Hero
I would be interested to see actual old quotes of this in that same thread.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I would be interested to see actual old quotes of this in that same thread.
Well, there's link to some of the older rating on the first page of the rtc thread, so you can check them out if you want.

Narp

Smash Cadet
Where can I buy Fumo plushies?
Aside from conventions and resellers over at international stores like eBay and Amazon, there are some Japan-only stores you can order from, typically via proxies that order things for you.
I want to buy a Fumo.

Cirno is my first choice. Thoughts?
Good choice. My first was Youmu that I got shortly before prices skyrocketed. I've since fallen into the fumo vortex, getting my seventh next month.

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Mentioned it before on the thread but in terms of Touhou plushies, I bought the main Taito line of plushies a while back. I managed to get them for a reasonable price from Ebay and the quality's pretty good. It's just a shame there aren't more available in their line-up (only 4 volumes of 2 plushies were released in that line of plushies (Reimu and Marisa in Vol 1, Sakuya and Remilia in Vol 2, Patchouli and Alice in Vol 3, Flandre and Koishi in Vol 4); their other lines included a trio of bkub style plushies (Chen, Tewi and Nazrin), an extremely simplistic style line (though it stuck to just Reimu and Marisa from what I remember) and lying down plushies).

Definitely a good alternative though, if you want a plush of those characters for a cheaper price (since less people are looking for them than Fumos, they tend to go for cheaper, though there are still a select few scalpers) that's still a good plush quality-wise (can't speak for the rest of their plush lines but this line's pretty solid quality-wise).

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
You might not have her in Smash, but you can play as her in Rivals of Aether now.
And its not a lazily put together Soku/ULiL sprite rip port that clashes with the rest of the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2263955842
Their next Rivals of Aether workshop character is Mystia Lorelei !
Theres always a lot of effort put into these and they match the RoA style so thats very welcomed.

The creator also made numerous Touhou stages for RoA including Hakurei Shrine, Bamboo Forest and Border of Life ( PCB stage 4 )

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What kind of character archetype would Reimu fill? Definitely NOT grappler that’s for sure lmao

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What kind of character archetype would Reimu fill? Definitely NOT grappler that’s for sure lmao
Probably defensive/zoner. Touhou is a very projectile-heavy game, and Reimu herself is a solitary, detached individual. Wouldn't really qualify as a distance demon, though; Those seem to be the subset of characters who have long-range melee attacks like Byleth and Sephiroth. In hindsight, I think we can also count Simon, Corrin, and Shulk as distance demons too.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I would also bet that reimu has a counter measure against projectiles since Touhou is literally a Bullet Hell game. If I can remember, she has a technique that can absorb projectiles to give room and add score in another game.
Azure Reflections probably?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I’ve always thought that Reimu should be a zoner designed to be absolute hell for other zoners but PICHUUUUN very easily against rush down. Not sure how you’d design that, but it’d feel a lot more “bullet hell" that way, I think.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I would also bet that reimu has a counter measure against projectiles since Touhou is literally a Bullet Hell game. If I can remember, she has a technique that can absorb projectiles to give room and add score in another game.
I think she has a barrier in the gen 1 fighting games that nullifies projectiles.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not directly based on anything from canon, but one idea I had was that Reimu's gohei could destroy projectiles to fit in with her anti-projectile nature.

Aside from that, I could see Grazing being adapted in some way. If we're going by the mainline games, it'd probably be something like Link and Hero's shield, just passing through her instead of being blocked.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think Reimu would have a very unique counter for Projectiles, her Graze Mechanic. could either by a special movie, or a unique part of her dodge.

Narp

Smash Cadet
Not directly based on anything from canon, but one idea I had was that Reimu's gohei could destroy projectiles to fit in with her anti-projectile nature.
Not too far-fetched. In, uhh, Double Dealing Character (14), Reimu happens to have a spell card attack where she whacks a giant gohei (or maybe an oonusa) side to side for a few seconds, clearing anything it hits.

In the relatively bizarre first entry, Reimu can use the stick to clear smaller bullets and hit that bouncing ball around. And, hey, Smash is no stranger to melee attacks also reflecting, like Ness's baseball bat.

Last edited:

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Finally managed to 1CC my first Touhou game on Normal (took me a few years but I finally did it (on a sudden whim to play a Touhou game, which I haven't done for a few months now)). PCB as Sakuya A, though it was on Slow Mode with the maximum number of lives. Made it to Yuyuko with about 4 extra lives left, gained one during the fight but lost 3, leaving me with 2 extra lives going into the final spell card... with no bombs left. But somehow I managed to make it through Resurrection Butterfly without getting hit once.

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
Finally managed to 1CC my first Touhou game on Normal (took me a few years but I finally did it (on a sudden whim to play a Touhou game, which I haven't done for a few months now)). PCB as Sakuya A, though it was on Slow Mode with the maximum number of lives. Made it to Yuyuko with about 4 extra lives left, gained one during the fight but lost 3, leaving me with 2 extra lives going into the final spell card... with no bombs left. But somehow I managed to make it through Resurrection Butterfly without getting hit once.
This gave me inspiration, i'll try to 1CC PCB.

gavtel

Smash Cadet
This gave me inspiration, i'll try to 1CC PCB.
If it's any help, one thing I learned about Stage 4 from my previous runs is that some of the Spinning Enemies (the white spiky enemies that resemble the kedamas from the earlier stages) spawn in danmaku when killed (sometimes it's easier to dodge the danmaku they shoot than the danmaku they spawn in when killed). The ones at the very start of the stage / after Lily White don't but some of them do just prior to Lily White (the ones after the two fairies that fire a stream of yellow and green danmaku). Towards the start of the stage, I found that at one point there was too much danmaku firing towards the bottom of the screen so I went up to the top of the screen, past where the Spinning Enemies spawn in from the sides and around them / the danmaku.

Knowing that made the first half a little easier for me (even if I forgot exactly where they were until I shot a couple of them).

Sk3tchy

Smash Rookie
Honestly, its not as hard as trying to beat PCB as Marisa. Her upsides are so weak compared to the other protagonists. But it feels rewarding when you get far as her.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I started up a YouTube playlist detailing what a Touhou tracklist in Smash could look like. I used my small list of Touhou tracks I'd like from a couple weeks ago as a starting point and added a few that I got the sense were iconic or important enough. Note that a few important details are in the playlist description.

I'm aware that this list is more conservative than other potential tracklists I've seen suggested, but I wanted to keep it on par with the other Challenger Packs. (I think the odds of another SNK scenario are pretty slim.)

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
I started up a YouTube playlist detailing what a Touhou tracklist in Smash could look like. I used my small list of Touhou tracks I'd like from a couple weeks ago as a starting point and added a few that I got the sense were iconic or important enough. Note that a few important details are in the playlist description.

I'm aware that this list is more conservative than other potential tracklists I've seen suggested, but I wanted to keep it on par with the other Challenger Packs. (I think the odds of another SNK scenario are pretty slim.)
Good list and yeah it's true that we probably won't get another SNK scenario with the DLC, if any franchise gets that treatment it would probably be Touhou. (Also bc i have bias and having only 11 songs would be kinda sad.)

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
Seeing all the talk about Reimu just being a keepaway Zoner I'mma restate my stance that she'd feel more authentic if she didn't just try to stay at a long distance all the time. Staying at the bottom side of the screen in Touhou furthest away from your opponent is always a surefire way to die and often times being right in their face is better. I still think Reimu should be a risk taking character with a bunch of pay off/Building P meter enhancing her projectiles.

Like I think her neutral b should essentially start as something akin to fox laser but as she gains power add more and more bits to it. Bosses in Touhou always just shrug off your hits til they die so it's more natural to me.

I also like the idea of Reimu using tricky portals and stuff. In Scarlet Weather rhapsody she has her fake out down kick where she dive kicks and you but you can add an input to have her teleport slightly above where she seems to be coming from before dropping down. Stuff like that and spot dodging, parrying and stuff giving her graze bonuses that challenge her to actually interact with her opponent feels so much more natural and unique to me. It also lines up better with how Reimu tends to play in the official fighting games.

What I'm sayin' is Reimu can have the patented "Smash bros dive kick" downair with a twist where hitting down air again during the animation causes her to warp up and forward slightly while retaining her momentum. Think of it! A dive kick that can actually help recover!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Seeing all the talk about Reimu just being a keepaway Zoner I'mma restate my stance that she'd feel more authentic if she didn't just try to stay at a long distance all the time. Staying at the bottom side of the screen in Touhou furthest away from your opponent is always a surefire way to die and often times being right in their face is better. I still think Reimu should be a risk taking character with a bunch of pay off/Building P meter enhancing her projectiles.

Like I think her neutral b should essentially start as something akin to fox laser but as she gains power add more and more bits to it. Bosses in Touhou always just shrug off your hits til they die so it's more natural to me.

I also like the idea of Reimu using tricky portals and stuff. In Scarlet Weather rhapsody she has her fake out down kick where she dive kicks and you but you can add an input to have her teleport slightly above where she seems to be coming from before dropping down. Stuff like that and spot dodging, parrying and stuff giving her graze bonuses that challenge her to actually interact with her opponent feels so much more natural and unique to me. It also lines up better with how Reimu tends to play in the official fighting games.

What I'm sayin' is Reimu can have the patented "Smash bros dive kick" downair with a twist where hitting down air again during the animation causes her to warp up and forward slightly while retaining her momentum. Think of it! A dive kick that can actually help recover!
I'm mainly going off of the shooters because those are the mainline games and what Touhou in known for. IaMP, SWR, AoCF, and the like are more traditional fighters, so even if they're a lot more projectile-heavy than the likes of Street Fighter or Guilty Gear, they're still geared around close-range combat and combos to some degree. There's also the fact that since they rely on health bars and not percentages, the damage and knockback is lowered; I don't think even Terry or Ryu can pull off those 20+ hit combos. I definitely agree with using animations from the fighters, but I feel like relying on the fighter's mechanics too much will make her feel more like a fighting game character instead of the shoot-em-up gameplay Touhou is known for.

I do agree that she shouldn't be too campy-That would be a pain to deal with. Though, the reason you need to keep moving in the shooters is because the bosses are unflinching and hurling crazy projectile patterns at you, and Smash works much differently. The easy solution would be to make some of her projectiles have less range than others, so you have to decide on if you should stay away and fend off your opponent with the single-shot projectile or get a bit closer and deal some damage with the up-close spray.

A Power Meter would be cool, but we have to be careful with how it works to avoid tacking on a gimmick just for the sake of gimmicks. In Touhou the power items just pop out when you take out enemies, so it might feel a bit awkward and unnatural to make it come from the Grazing. In Smash, your enemy tends to be gunning after you rather than sitting back and letting the danmaku deal with you, so dodging is a lot harder to pull off, especially with the just-barely precision of danmaku. There's also the fact that making her kit too centralized on building up power could end up leaving her with more handicaps than buffs, and that would be frustrating to deal with.

Another thing to note is that in general, Smash tends to favor the home games of a character for movesets, even if they had fighting game spinoffs. Mega man only has a couple moves from the fighters, the Belmonts pay no mention to Judgement, etc. While those can be excused with them being from platformers, Cloud's from a turn-based RPG, and even then the only references to the Dissidia series of fighters are his specials, which themselves are drawn from the RPGs. Based on what we've gotten so far, I think Reimu would largely stick to abilities and mechanics originating from the shooters.

Though, I do like the idea of the warping down air. That could make for a nice multi-input move.

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
I'm mainly going off of the shooters because those are the mainline games and what Touhou in known for. IaMP, SWR, AoCF, and the like are more traditional fighters, so even if they're a lot more projectile-heavy than the likes of Street Fighter or Guilty Gear, they're still geared around close-range combat and combos to some degree. There's also the fact that since they rely on health bars and not percentages, the damage and knockback is lowered; I don't think even Terry or Ryu can pull off those 20+ hit combos. I definitely agree with using animations from the fighters, but I feel like relying on the fighter's mechanics too much will make her feel more like a fighting game character instead of the shoot-em-up gameplay Touhou is known for.

I do agree that she shouldn't be too campy-That would be a pain to deal with. Though, the reason you need to keep moving in the shooters is because the bosses are unflinching and hurling crazy projectile patterns at you, and Smash works much differently. The easy solution would be to make some of her projectiles have less range than others, so you have to decide on if you should stay away and fend off your opponent with the single-shot projectile or get a bit closer and deal some damage with the up-close spray.

A Power Meter would be cool, but we have to be careful with how it works to avoid tacking on a gimmick just for the sake of gimmicks. In Touhou the power items just pop out when you take out enemies, so it might feel a bit awkward and unnatural to make it come from the Grazing. In Smash, your enemy tends to be gunning after you rather than sitting back and letting the danmaku deal with you, so dodging is a lot harder to pull off, especially with the just-barely precision of danmaku. There's also the fact that making her kit too centralized on building up power could end up leaving her with more handicaps than buffs, and that would be frustrating to deal with.

Another thing to note is that in general, Smash tends to favor the home games of a character for movesets, even if they had fighting game spinoffs. Mega man only has a couple moves from the fighters, the Belmonts pay no mention to Judgement, etc. While those can be excused with them being from platformers, Cloud's from a turn-based RPG, and even then the only references to the Dissidia series of fighters are his specials, which themselves are drawn from the RPGs. Based on what we've gotten so far, I think Reimu would largely stick to abilities and mechanics originating from the shooters.

Though, I do like the idea of the warping down air. That could make for a nice multi-input move.
Yeah I'm not saying she should play just like the fighting games, I'm saying that Reimu both in the Danmaku games and in the fighting games does get in the face of her opponents quite often, it's not just the fighting games where it happens and it's not just for dodging, you do more damage in close too cause you essentially shotgun the boss with all your projectiles in a cluster. This is also the case in the official manga's too. As for the concept of a Power meter I don't think it would really be over centralizing. Having a higher power meter makes her neutral B stronger just like having higher power in the danmaku games makes her standard shot stronger.

As for grazing I think it is an integral part of Touhou as a series. Touhou isn't Touhou without grazing, and grazing as a concept is intended for you to be rewarded for both playing risky and for actually engaging with the danmaku rather than trying to pay super passive. I think grazing for power meter though not exactly the same as the base game, where it gives you points for more bombs and lives it does reference the key reward system of the game series, like mario doesn't gain an extra stock if he hits 100 coins worth of up b's in a game sorta shtick just referencing back to the source material.

There's also the argument that the concept of campy magic user is a bit of a trope among the female smash characters at this point lots of ways to encourage Reimu to be aggressive while still using projectiles. Have her neutral b only have knockback at close range and otherwise working like fox laser (referencing the unflinching nature of touhou bosses) while also having quick start up but somewhat slow end lag. Yin Yang Orbs being used like Gordo's that can't just be knocked back that she can use to help approach etc.

As for not using spinoffs for movesets I think that's not 100% true. Lot of Sonics moves come from Sonic the Fighters for example and most games in smash aren't really series with spinoffs that often outside of the Mario Crew.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah I'm not saying she should play just like the fighting games, I'm saying that Reimu both in the Danmaku games and in the fighting games does get in the face of her opponents quite often, it's not just the fighting games where it happens and it's not just for dodging, you do more damage in close too cause you essentially shotgun the boss with all your projectiles in a cluster. This is also the case in the official manga's too. As for the concept of a Power meter I don't think it would really be over centralizing. Having a higher power meter makes her neutral B stronger just like having higher power in the danmaku games makes her standard shot stronger.

As for grazing I think it is an integral part of Touhou as a series. Touhou isn't Touhou without grazing, and grazing as a concept is intended for you to be rewarded for both playing risky and for actually engaging with the danmaku rather than trying to pay super passive. I think grazing for power meter though not exactly the same as the base game, where it gives you points for more bombs and lives it does reference the key reward system of the game series, like mario doesn't gain an extra stock if he hits 100 coins worth of up b's in a game sorta shtick just referencing back to the source material.

There's also the argument that the concept of campy magic user is a bit of a trope among the female smash characters at this point lots of ways to encourage Reimu to be aggressive while still using projectiles. Have her neutral b only have knockback at close range and otherwise working like fox laser (referencing the unflinching nature of touhou bosses) while also having quick start up but somewhat slow end lag. Yin Yang Orbs being used like Gordo's that can't just be knocked back that she can use to help approach etc.

As for not using spinoffs for movesets I think that's not 100% true. Lot of Sonics moves come from Sonic the Fighters for example and most games in smash aren't really series with spinoffs that often outside of the Mario Crew.
I know, I'm just generally hesitant on giving a character a lot of gimmicks until I see them in execution. If implemented wrong, they could end up rather clunky and shoehorned. For the Power Meter, it might end up making Reimu rely too much on dodging to do any real damage. Whiffing in general is a bit harder in Smash, because it's not just a bunch of projectiles flying around. Plus, Smash attacks tend to stick out from the fighter's body, so if you don't know the hitboxes it might make things a bit awkward.

Though, a Power Meter is a recurring part of the series, and I could see it implemented in some way. I'll see what I can do with it. Note that this would be applied to this moveset I made.
Welp, I think I've settled on my new Reimu moveset. I've blown through so many of these. Hope this one will stick...
View attachment 297331
REIMU Crosses the Border!
Unlike my previous movesets, this one focuses mainly on adapting the gameplay mechanics and design philosophies of the mainline shoot-em-ups rather than creating a hodgepodge of gimmicks from various different sources. Of course, that isn't to say it's entirely based on the shooters. In fact, the majority of her animations are taken from other sources; The fighting games, Highly Responsive to Prayers, and Gouyoku Ibun. However, her pros, cons, and general playstyle is still largely based on the shooters, creating a unique interpretation of Reimu rather than taking a moveset from the fighters.

It should also be noted that she reuses a couple animations from other fighters, not out of laziness or lack of uniqueness, but because that's just what a lot of fighters do-For example, Joker has Sheik's up tilt, Hero has Ike's neutral aerial, Min Min has Sonic's down smash, etc.). It adds a bit of "realism" to the moveset, so to speak. It helps that some of her attacks from the actual games resemble some attacks from Smash.

Reimu's moveset is largely defensive, focused on staying out of harms' way with her high mobility and walling off opponents with her many projectiles. Reflecting Touhou's heavy usage of flight, Reimu has amazing aerial mobility, being able to move great distances without touching the ground even once. In addition, she has quite a few anti-zoning mechanics; If used right, projectiles can be rendered completely useless against her. However, she suffers from her light weight, being around Kirby's level, and lack of kill power. In addition, she has poor matchups against rushdown characters who can slip through her defenses, as well as fighters with long melee attacks who can bypass her defenses entirely.

Mechanics
  • Grazing - When Reimu is standing, walking, dodging, or using her up special, she becomes immune to projectiles. When this occurs, the Grazing sound effect from the Touhou games will play. Functionally, this is more or less the same as the shields used by the Links and the Heroes.
    Grazing is a staple of the series, occurring when the player just barely misses a projectile. This adds points to their score, so high-level players often go out of their way to cause Grazing to get a higher score. This mechanic is also present in the fighting games, where a fighter becomes immune to projectiles during a dash or a super jump; Ironically, this is more or less the inverse of Smash's take on the concept.
  • Shot Types - Reimu has two different shots, Hakurei Amulet and Persuasion Needle. In general, the Hakurei Amulet has a larger hitbox and is more defensive, while the Persuasion Needle is faster and stronger, and is better at offense. Reimu can switch between them with her down special, elaborated on below, and uses these shots for her jab, side tilt, up smash, forward and back aerials, up throw, and neutral special.
  • Reimu's gohei can destroy projectiles, much like the Belmont's whip. While this isn't directly taken from any Touhou media, it fits in with Reimu's anti-zoning capabilities and her distant nature.
  • When Reimu air dodges, she will stay in place after the dodge instead of falling, allowing her to maintain her position or right herself. This is an adaptation of Focusing and her ability to float, elaborated on under her up special.
Ground Attacks
  • Jab - Reimu shoots a volley of projectiles. Holding the button increases the duration of the move. The Hakurei Amulet has a wider spread, while the Persuasion Needle has slightly better range. Based on the standard shooting attack from the mainline games, as well as her 5B move from the ground fighters.
  • Dash Attack - A sliding kick. Pressing the button again causes Reimu to perform a flip kick. Based on the slide and Ascension Kick from Highly Responsive to Prayers, which in turn was adapted into the ground fighters.
  • Side Tilt - Reimu throws a larger-than-normal projectile. Based on the Hakurei Amulet and Persuasion Needle moves from the fighters.
  • Up Tilt - Reimu spins her gohei above her head. An original move, though it is based on her down tilt. Resembles Palutena's up tilt.
  • Down Tilt - Reimu spins her gohei on the ground. Based on her 2A move from the fighters. Resembles Palutena's down tilt.
  • Side Smash - A horizontal gohei swing. Based on her 6A move from the air fighters.
  • Up Smash - Reimu fires a projectile upward. Based on her shot move from Highly Responsive to Prayers.
  • Down Smash - Reimu creates a pair of barriers on either side. These barriers can deflect projectiles, much like Ness and Lucas' side smash or Min Min's up smash. An altered version of her Cautionary Border attack from the ground fighters. Resembles Pit's down special.
Aerial Attacks
  • Neutral Aerial - Reimu spins her gohei around herself like a fan. Based on her aerial attack from Gouyoku Ibun. Resembles Pit's neutral aerial.
  • Forward Aerial - Reimu fires three fast projectiles forward. The Hakurei Amulet spreads apart as it travels, while the Persuasion Needle deals more damage. Based on the Youkai Buster shot, specifically the version used in the fighters.
  • Back Aerial - Reimu fires a stream of projectiles behind her. Resembles her jab, but with less spread and more range. Based on her jumping 5B from the ground fighters.
  • Up Aerial - A flip kick. Based off the Ascension Kick from the fighters, which itself is adapted from Highly Responsive to Prayers.
  • Down Aerial - Reimu swings her gohei downward. An original move, though loosely resembles the killing blow used on the fortune teller. Also resembles Ike's down aerial, albeit a good deal faster.
Throws
  • Grab - Reimu traps the opponent using her Yin-Yang Orbs.
  • Pummel - Reimu sharply jabs the opponent with her gohei. Based off her far 5A move from the ground fighters.
  • Forward Throw - A crosscheck with the gohei. Based off her 6A move from the ground fighters.
  • Back Throw - Reimu warps the opponent behind her, then smacks them away with her gohei. Resembles Sephiroth's back throw.
  • Up Throw - Reimu throws the opponent upwards and fires a shot at them. Based on her shot move from Highly Responsive to Prayers, and resembles her up smash.
  • Down Throw - Reimu sticks a talisman on the opponent and throws them down, followed by the talisman exploding on the opponent.
Specials
  • Neutral Special - Options: Reimu fires a stream of projectiles from her Yin-Yang Orbs. Both shots have unique effects for this move. The Hakurei Amulet has a mild homing effect, and can be charged to increase the size, power, and homing capabilities. The Persuasion Needles are faster and stronger, and can be spammed by holding the button down.
    Options are a mainstay of the mainline games, being objects floating around your character that add some extra firepower to your shots. Depending on the game, you either have two Options or up to four. Reimu's Options are her ancestral Yin-Yang Orbs, elaborated on below.
  • Side Special - Yin-Yang Orbs: Reimu throws a Yin-Yang Orb forward. If it hits a wall, it will bounce off. The attack can be angled and charged, with the latter increasing the size, power, and speed of the orb. After a short amount of time, the orb will return to Reimu. Reimu can fire both orbs in rapid succession; During the attack, the Yin-Yang Orb will not fire projectiles during the neutral special. If charged, Reimu cannot fire the second orb.
    The Yin-Yang Orbs are magic, anti-youkai artifacts, and one of Reimu's signature items. In Highly Responsive to Prayers, Reimu had to guide a bouncing Yin-Yang Orb around the screen, while in the shooters they became Options. The fighting games have a move that harkens back to HRtP, which this attack is based on (Albeit shrunken down to fit in with the Option interpretation).
  • Up Special - Focusing: Reimu rises into the air, much like R.O.B.'s up special. Like R.O.B., Reimu does not go into freefall after using the move, allowing her to continue moving and attacking as usual. During this move, Reimu is capable of Grazing.
    Focusing is a very useful move from the mainline games that slows Reimu down and shows her hitbox, allowing her to dodge and Graze more easily. This is a staple of Touhou's gameplay, and the games would be that much harder withoutit. In addition, this move also adapts flying capabilities of pretty much every Touhou character, as well as Reimu's unique ability to float.
  • Down Special - Shot Changing: Reimu changes her shot type. This function much likes Min Min's ARMS Change; By default Reimu starts with the Hakurei Amulet, and can switch freely between shots on the fly.
    Changing shots is a recurring part of the Touhou series. Before starting a playthrough, the player can choose their character and which version they use, creating more ways to play. This usually takes the form of different shot types, though some games add a twist to it (Youkai partners, sub-shots instead of main shots, Animal Spirits, etc.). Due to the differences in gameplay, Reimu can swap on the fly in Smash rather than choosing from the beginning.
  • Final Smash - Fantasy Seal: Reimu creates a storm of multicolored orbs that home in on opponents, dealing damage all over the stage. Functions somewhat similarly to Diddy Kong's Final Smash.
    Fantasy Seal is Reimu's signature "Bomb," a limited-use attack that deals high damage all over the screen. Bombs have different requirements for obtainment throughout the series, but usually they must be collected. This is somewhat similar to grabbing a Smash Ball to pull off a Final Smash, meaning it doesn't have to be shoved into Reimu's normal moveset.
  • Alternate Final Smash - Fantasy Nature: If Reimu's opponent is at 70% or higher, she will send out a burst of energy and talismans, dealing massive damage in a wide radius and instantly killing anyone over 100%. Notably, Mystic Oriental Love Consultation (End of Century) from Hisoutensoku will start playing during the Final Smash, and will continue to do so during the results screen if the match is ended with this attack.
    Fantasy Nature is the ultimate expression of Reimu's abilities, causing her to float away from reality itself and become invincible. This attack is so powerful that she refused to use it in spell card battles until Marisa put a name and time limit on it, despite Reimu being the biggest slacker in Gensokyo. This move has taken many forms through the series and is up to interpretation; In this case, Smash adapts the version from Hisoutensoku.
Power Meter
Reimu's projectiles-The Hakurei Amulet, Persuasion Needle, and Yin-Yang Orbs-Would be strengthened by her Power Meter. This meter fills up primarily by dealing damage to opponents, encouraging Reimu to play more aggressively and not just start camping at the edge of the stage. If she did that, things would get boring pretty quickly.
The Power Meter also fills up slightly in response to Grazing, Perfect Shielding, whiffed attacks, and dodging attacks, referencing how high-level players trigger Grazing to get higher scores. However, due to the difference in gameplay with Touhou and Smash, as well as to prevent her from suffering against melee fighters that limit her ability to Graze projectiles, the Power Gauge doesn't fill up as much during evasive or defensive maneuvers. As such, her primary source of filling up the meter comes from dealing damage and being aggressive.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
o crap i just rememebred how epic of a song Voyage 1970 from Imperishable Night is

dude they HAVE to make that Reimu's bonus classic stage (the pre boss) music if they can somehow override that

i hope they can

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Neutral Special - Options: Reimu fires a stream of projectiles from her Yin-Yang Orbs. Both shots have unique effects for this move. The Hakurei Amulet has a mild homing effect, and can be charged to increase the size, power, and homing capabilities. The Persuasion Needles are faster and stronger, and can be spammed by holding the button down.
Does this makes Reimu immobile or she can move forward and backward but she can only face forward like in the bullet hell game?

For me personally I would say that I would give the Hakurei Amulet an infinite range, have decent mobility but lack damage and only deal 0, damage. The Persuasion Needle on the other hand is more powerful but the range is shorter and you mobility is sluggish so you are forced to approach the opponent, making you an easy target but you will have super armor when using it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Does this makes Reimu immobile or she can move forward and backward but she can only face forward like in the bullet hell game?

For me personally I would say that I would give the Hakurei Amulet an infinite range, have decent mobility but lack damage and only deal 0, damage. The Persuasion Needle on the other hand is more powerful but the range is shorter and you mobility is sluggish so you are forced to approach the opponent, making you an easy target but you will have super armor when using it.
Yes, you can still move around with the Options. The idea is that the Hakurei Amulets are more accurate, while the Persuasion Needles deal more damage; Overall, you'll probably be using the former from a distance and the latter up close.

Top Bottom