• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
We
Sakuya would be a notable want from me as well, but that is probably just because I really like Luna Nights. No clue how full on time stopping could be implemented without a ton of frustration from opponents, but I would love to see them try.
well in the fighting games they do it by giving Sakuya a teleport and the ability to make a time clone as well as knives that can redirect in mid flight like the main games and save her actual timestop for her strongest super move, So it'd probably work similar to that.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
This might be a weird question, but after Reimu and Marisa, what other Touhou reps do you want to see in Smash? I'm thinking Cirno would be pretty awesome, and now I'm genuinely curious to see how Sakuya would play in Smash Bros. I imagine she'd at least use her knives.
I would absolutely want Sakuya as the next Touhou character after Reimu and Marisa, she is my favorite character after all. Otherwise, Tenshi, Clownpiece, and Youmu would also be extremly cool to have.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, so thought of the day: I think there has been literally NO entry or direct crossover appearance where Reimu and Marisa have not been playable in the same game together. (I mean, there WAS that weird PS1 game, but that wasn’t directly Reimu.)

What am I implying with this, you may ask? Well, I believe that if we’re getting a Touhou Challenger Pack, we’ll get to play as BOTH Reimu and Marisa, almost similarly to the pre-SSB4 Zelda and Sheik! We could tag out between the Shrine Maiden and Ordinary Magician, which is actually a thing in Imperishable Night and most recently Antinomy of Common Flowers! And after the amount of effort Sakurai put into characters like Min Min, Terry and Steve, I wouldn’t put it past him to have the two together in a sense.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Okay, so thought of the day: I think there has been literally NO entry or direct crossover appearance where Reimu and Marisa have not been playable in the same game together. (I mean, there WAS that weird PS1 game, but that wasn’t directly Reimu.)

What am I implying with this, you may ask? Well, I believe that if we’re getting a Touhou Challenger Pack, we’ll get to play as BOTH Reimu and Marisa, almost similarly to the pre-SSB4 Zelda and Sheik! We could tag out between the Shrine Maiden and Ordinary Magician, which is actually a thing in Imperishable Night and most recently Antinomy of Common Flowers! And after the amount of effort Sakurai put into characters like Min Min, Terry and Steve, I wouldn’t put it past him to have the two together in a sense.
That's honestly the best idea I've heard about what would happen if Reimu manages to make it into Smash. It would make sense to have her come with Marisa in a duo, like how we got four Dragon Quest heroes when Luminary was released. I'd sure love the idea. (And probably end up playing as Marisa more. XD)

Lyncario

Smash Ace

That would be extremly, but if I'm not mistaken, Reimu apeared in Lord of Vermilion without Marisa, and it's not even that it was only Reimu that apeared, Yuyuko was also there.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That would be extremly, but if I'm not mistaken, Reimu apeared in Lord of Vermilion without Marisa, and it's not even that it was only Reimu that apeared, Yuyuko was also there.
distributed by Square Enix
BIG HMM 🤔

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Everyone brings up Marisa for a tag-team, but it seems like Reimu gets paired up with Yukari more often, both in Imperishable Night and in the story mode of Antimony of Common Flowers. Granted, Reimu also teamed with Kasen for the first couple matches, but I think Yukari would work best if we're representing the whole series.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
hey so someone in the KOS-MOS thread said this:
I know this could very well be a completely new trailer on its own with how neat an idea it is, but since for a while they liked "continuing" from old trailers, one way I always thought of for KOS-MOS was that it could go on from Ridley's trailer, while he's fighting off Samus, in the distance we get to see a capsule open, maybe just showing the design of it and having her hand come out to leave it vague for most, without actually showing her, only for her to come up later to fight Ridley. It also fits a little in how she faces off against Gnosis in Episode I.
and I now have an idea for Reimu's trailer... what if it continues off Simon and Richter's? The whole thing could be a throwback to Embodiment of Scarlet Devil

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

While I tend to view this as kind of a dream scenario for me, I do agree that the combination of AoCF providing a gameplay precedent and Marisa’s status as just as important as Reimu to the series can’t be understated. I don’t think that there’s any series in Smash in a similar situation where there really are two series protagonists, not just one. I certainly expect that Marisa would appear in the Final Smash à la Chrom at the very least.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Everyone brings up Marisa for a tag-team, but it seems like Reimu gets paired up with Yukari more often, both in Imperishable Night and in the story mode of Antimony of Common Flowers. Granted, Reimu also teamed with Kasen for the first couple matches, but I think Yukari would work best if we're representing the whole series.
so, if Reimu was paired with Yukari in that game then who's Marisa's partner in that same game? (IN and AoCF specifically)

Last edited:

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Ooo, a music retrospective! Interesting. This'll be a treat.

Also I just recently remembered how little Sukuna is one of my favorites characters. Guess I forgot cus' I don't really see much of her in much these days. I started playing AoCF a bit again after so long so that helps.

My main in AoCF and such and DDC is one of my favorites. I don't own any Touhou figures but I also remembered how I was, and am still, looking for her figure, basically the only one I actually want. Yes, the situation with the mold sucks lol. I'll probably never find one.

Heck, but a replica mallet just to have would be sweet. Which I am actively searching for something to it's liking still. For like, the past 3 years! lol

EDIT: Mima just faded out of existence there, lol
EDIT2: that youmu alt. with black hair in Lost Word is so cool.

Last edited:

OpticalCellophane

Smash Rookie
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Why are there so many Touhou fangames out there?
Because Zun encourages it and likes cultivating creative passions in people. Legit the only rules against it is claiming to own the property, directly ripping assets from the original games, and spoiling the endings of each game. Some of the fangame creators even end up collaborating with ZUN on official games at times. incidentally Puppet Dance Performance is genuinely one of the best pokemon games made mechanically, and the official pokemon games have only begun implementing features Puppet dance has had years prior.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Okay, so I've been spending the entire New Years Eve by coming up an idea on a potential PC-98 alt for Reimu and considering an alt that only changes their outfit usually have a second recolor I go on ahead and make one for Reimu (and also Marisa) based on PC-98 character (can you guess them). So here it is:
Untitled349.png
Untitled350_20210101102253.png

The original Reimu's art by Dairi

The original Marisa's art by Haya Taro Pochi

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
To everyone in this thread, does anyone prefer the PC-98 (AKA Classic) Touhou games over the Windows (AKA Modern) Touhou games?

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Happy New Year everyone! Here's lookin' to whatever 2021 may bring!

Good to see so many Yukkuri YouTubers putting out a compilation of their choice moments of 2020!

...and a certain one in particular should post theirs in a few hours, as they usually post every Friday and always have a video ready for new years!

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
After further familiarizing myself with Touhou Project, brainstorming and reviewing ideas shared on this thread, and experiencing the previous characters in this pass, I've decided to redo a Reimu trailer I made on the "Direct a Trailer" thread a long time back entirely. Also, bonus points if you can figure out the characters in the intro.

Cross flair intro

The trailer fades from black to a massive dust cloud, flashing with countless colors like a volatile light show. The camera zooms in, and we see multiple characters obscured by the dust, throwing energy bullets, ice shards, and knives around in an utterly MASSIVE battle royale. We see one character with a large red horn and a bright red sake dish in their hand stomp the earth, creating an eruption that knocks back what appear to be multiple fairies. We see a long-haired figure with massive wings and a glowing red chest-jewel shine as though they were unleashing the very sun itself, repelling the eruption and scorching countless other victims. Just as they finish, a ball of shadow flies into her with the force of a meteor, knocking them into a purple-haired figure with rabbit ears. The camera then focuses on a barrage of massive white snakes coiling through the air as yet another figure, riding a motorcycle, speeds towards a smaller figure with a bug-eyed hat atop their head before the rider rams into the small hat-wearer. These, among other things, were part of the chaos that was transpiring, all while what appears to be a Smash invite whirls around the wind before being plucked from the air by a mysterious hand.

Smash cut to a humble little shrine atop a hill, where a red-clad girl is exasperatingly trying to block out the noise of the miles-away battle transpiring. Suddenly, she hears footsteps, and she opens the door to her shrine, revealing a mob-capped blonde woman with a pink and purple dress waving a Smash invite in her hand. She hands it to the girl, who examines it. Before she can respond, however, a gap in space opens and the red girl is pushed into it, causing her to fall through the void. Just before the blonde woman could close it, however, a black streak flies through the gap, much to the brief, yet suppressed shock of the blonde woman before she lets out a small giggle, as though she welcomed the surprise.

Meanwhile, in the forest where the Hero trailer once took place, a similar gap opens, and from it falls the red girl, who looks around her surroundings before just avoiding a strike from a puppet of Fox, who attempted to shoot her from behind. The red girl retaliates with a barrage of needles that strike the puppet, which in turn gives way to puppets of Pit and Corrin, who glare at this new adversary. Resolve plastered upon her face, the girl takes out two ofuda talismans and steels herself for battle.

REIMU Responds To The Prayers!

We are then shown gameplay of the constantly-airborne Reimu, who uses a variety of weak, yet fast projectiles and various Touhou evasion mechanics to make for an evasive projectile playstyle. We see her use various gohei attacks and Spell Cards to attack from anywhere on-screen. The trailer then cuts back to CGI, where Pit and Corrin, now joined by a K. Rool and Samus, unleash a barrage of projectiles, which Reimu deftly evades. Just as she's about to strike, however, a massive rainbow laser engulfs the puppet fighters before they start careening to the side. The puppets get their footing back, wounded, but not out yet, and they look up at their adversary. Reimu, who recognized the laser, can't help but crack a soft smile before turning toward the direction of a young blonde girl with a black pointed hat, a broom in one hand and a strange device in the other, which emitted steam to show that it was used just now. The girl flashes a cheeky grin back at Reimu before hopping onto her broom and flying forwards at tremendous speeds.

MARISA Sparks The Fire!

We cut back to in-game footage of Reimu as she tags out with Marisa Kirisame, the Ordinary Magician, who shows a more offensive projectile style as opposed to Reimu, throwing various stars and magical bolts as opposed to ofuda and needles. We then see the Hakurei Shrine stage, where various youkai characters are congregated to watch the fight, then we see Reimu and Marisa's respective Final Smashes: Reimu unleashes a large barrage of rainbow orbs with her signature "Fantasy Seal", while Marisa charges her hakkero and fires her signature Master Spark at her foes.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Touhou Project

We are then finally treated to the puppet fighters, defeated and splayed along the ground. Reimu, grumpy and tired from the now-resolved battle, falls flat on her butt and lets out a long sigh. Marisa sits down next to her and wraps her arm around her, a friendly and energetic smile on her face, which Reimu begrudgingly reciprocates. The blonde woman from before, now identified as Yukari Yakumo, watches the two through a gap and smiles, knowing that things are going to get more interesting from here...

@ 2018 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / Hal Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM USA., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / Mojang AB / Team Shanghai Alice

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
After further familiarizing myself with Touhou Project, brainstorming and reviewing ideas shared on this thread, and experiencing the previous characters in this pass, I've decided to redo a Reimu trailer I made on the "Direct a Trailer" thread a long time back entirely. Also, bonus points if you can figure out the characters in the intro.

Cross flair intro

The trailer fades from black to a massive dust cloud, flashing with countless colors like a volatile light show. The camera zooms in, and we see multiple characters obscured by the dust, throwing energy bullets, ice shards, and knives around in an utterly MASSIVE battle royale. We see one character with a large red horn and a bright red sake dish in their hand stomp the earth, creating an eruption that knocks back what appear to be multiple fairies. We see a long-haired figure with massive wings and a glowing red chest-jewel shine as though they were unleashing a nuclear blast, repelling the eruption and scorching countless other victims. Just as they finish, a ball of shadow flies into her with the force of a meteor, knocking them into a purple-haired figure with rabbit ears. The camera then focuses on a barrage of massive white snakes coiling through the air as yet another figure, riding a motorcycle, speeds towards a smaller figure with a bug-eyed hat atop their head before the rider rams into the small hat-wearer. These, among other things, were part of the chaos that was transpiring, all while what appears to be a Smash invite whirls around the wind before being plucked from the air by a mysterious hand.

Smash cut to a humble little shrine atop a hill, where a red-clad girl is exasperatingly trying to block out the noise of the miles-away battle transpiring. Suddenly, she hears footsteps, and she opens the door to her shrine, revealing a mob-capped blonde woman with a pink and purple dress waving a Smash invite in her hand. She hands it to the girl, who examines it. Before she can respond, however, a gap in space opens and the red girl is pushed into it, causing her to fall through the void. Just before the blonde woman could close it, however, a black streak flies through the gap, much to the brief, yet suppressed shock of the blonde woman before she lets out a small giggle, as though she welcomed the surprise.

Meanwhile, in the forest where the Hero trailer once took place, a similar gap opens, and from it falls the red girl, who looks around her surroundings before just avoiding a strike from a puppet of Fox, who attempted to shoot her from behind. The red girl retaliates with a barrage of needles that strike the puppet, which in turn gives way to puppets of Pit and Corrin, who glare at this new adversary. Resolve plastered upon her face, the girl takes out two ofuda talismans and steels herself for battle.

REIMU Responds To The Prayers!

We are then shown gameplay of the constantly-airborne Reimu, who uses a variety of weak, yet fast projectiles and various Touhou evasion mechanics to make for an evasive projectile playstyle. We see her use various gohei attacks and Spell Cards to attack from anywhere on-screen. The trailer then cuts back to CGI, where Pit and Corrin, now joined by a K. Rool and Samus, unleash a barrage of projectiles, which Reimu deftly evades. Just as she's about to strike, however, a massive rainbow laser engulfs the puppet fighters before they start careening to the side. The puppets get their footing back, wounded, but not out yet, and they look up at their adversary. Reimu, who recognized the laser, can't help but crack a soft smile before turning toward the direction of a young blonde girl with a black pointed hat, a broom in one hand and a strange device in the other, which emitted steam to show that it was used just now. The girl flashes a cheeky grin back at Reimu before hopping onto her broom and flying forwards at tremendous speeds.

MARISA Sparks The Fire!

We cut back to in-game footage of Reimu as she tags out with Marisa Kirisame, the Ordinary Magician, who shows a more offensive projectile style as opposed to Reimu, throwing various stars and magical bolts as opposed to ofuda and needles. We then see the Hakurei Shrine stage, where various youkai characters are congregated to watch the fight, then we see Reimu and Marisa's respective Final Smashes: Reimu unleashes a large barrage of rainbow orbs with her signature "Fantasy Seal", while Marisa charges her hakkero and fires her signature Master Spark at her foes.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Touhou Project

We are then finally treated to the puppet fighters, defeated and splayed along the ground. Reimu, grumpy and tired from the now-resolved battle, falls flat on her butt and lets out a long sigh. Marisa sits down next to her and wraps her arm around her, a friendly and energetic smile on her face, which Reimu begrudgingly reciprocates. The blonde woman from before, now identified as Yukari Yakumo, watches the two through a gap and smiles, knowing that things are going to get more interesting from here...

@ 2018 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / Hal Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM USA., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / Mojang AB / Team Shanghai Alice
OH LORD A YUKARI BOSS. YESSSS.

we stan Yukari in this household

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
thinking about the doujin circles thing, it'll probably be new tracks composed for Smash

...welp once DLC finishes and Reimu's in I'll do that modding trick to add more songs including practically every EastNewSound song ever lmao

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Touhou World Cup 2021 is on the way!

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Tfw there still is no Suika Fumo :(

Ended up getting my 2nd favorite 2hu Tenshi instead. (Watch that they then make a Suika one since I bought Tenshi. Always wanted one but couldn't afford it until now)

Glad to see the meme is dead and Silva is finally making the long awaited Touhou album.

Has there been any news on the 17.5 release date? All i heard of it recently was that we got a demo in October.

Took a look at the Reimu RTC and got a reminder why I never visit that thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom