• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Its the song ZUN composed for Indie Live Expo.
This is very good. I could imagine this as a Touhou song.

This might be a dumb question, but supposing that Reimu gets a slot, would U.N. Owen was Her be one of the music tracks included or is that unlikely considering how many games there are?
It really feels unlikely to me. If you're going to have Touhou music in a game you have to include U.N. Owen was Her? on some level. It's one of the quintessential songs in the series, imo.

Soulor

Smash Cadet
The other day I finally beat Yukari, Touhou Spell Bubble's Marisa extra story mode which is basically on Lunatic difficulty.

It took soooo many tries, some matches were so close but then for me to lose at the last second, but I did it and even then just barely.

It was amazing and I never want to do it again, lol.

EmsuVx2UwAAfbAu.jpeg

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Which Touhou game would you guys recommend for a big diaper baby such as i ? I Played through 6 for quite a bit but the version i have isn't translated proprely and crashes at some point in the game.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Which Touhou game would you guys recommend for a big diaper baby such as i ? I Played through 6 for quite a bit but the version i have isn't translated proprely and crashes at some point in the game.
If you're nervous about trying one of the bullet hells, familiarizing yourself with the characters by playing one of the fighting games isn't a bad place to start. Hisoutensoku and Antinomy of Common Flowers have the most active communities, but Scarlet Weather Rhapsody probably has the best story.

But if you've got shoot 'em up experience or don't mind diving in head first, I'd recommend the most recent mainline game, Wily Beast and Weakest Creature. The game is pretty beginner friendly, and while there are plenty of reoccurring characters elsewhere in official Touhou media, the mainline games tend to have pretty self contained stories so you can jump on most anywhere.

Alternatively, you could try the first Windows game, the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. It's a little clunky by modern standards, but there are fan patches that help. This was Touhou's first real breakout success, so it's not a bad idea to see where things started.

If ever you want to see what you're in for, you should look up gameplay videos on YouTube. And remember, there's no shame in playing on Easy mode.
sorry for the lazy answer. tl;dr, Touhou 17 is probably the best bet to start, tho iirc some people recommend 7. 6 is usually a starting point, but it sucks you're having technical difficulties.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I think the old ones are still better starters (6, 7, 8). If you're having difficulty with these, 11 should work better (because more recent) and is often regarded as the best of the series, it's also one of the hardest ones but you can still play on easy I guess.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
You'll get a bunch of different answers, but I personally recommend TH8 (Imperishable Night) or TH16 (Hidden Star in Four Seasons). Both are very accessible. TH8 is, for my money, the best in the series, and is also very forgiving for newer players thanks to the extremely generous death-bomb window, especially with the Barrier Team, while TH16 has pretty straightforward gameplay with a powerful assist tool in the seasons mechanic. I recommend TH16 over TH17 because the high levels of HP on normal enemies in TH17 takes some of the fun out of zooming through stages for me, but it's also a fine one to pick up if it appeals to you.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
EmyT56_XUAAvuMP.jpeg

This figure is AMAZING 0q0
To think that 3 months ago I didn't even know who Youmu was, and now she's my favorite enough to get a VERY EXPENSIVE figure of her x)
If Reimu gets in Smash Ultimate I really hope that Youmu'll get a Mii Swordfighter costume, alongside Marisa in a Mii Gunner costume ^^

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
View attachment 291859
To think that 3 months ago I didn't even know who Youmu was, and now she's my favorite enough to get a VERY EXPENSIVE figure of her x)
If Reimu gets in Smash Ultimate I really hope that Youmu'll get a Mii Swordfighter costume, alongside Marisa in a Mii Gunner costume ^^
Marisa's Broomstick can be used as a melee weapon. Uhh, does Marisa ever use her broomstick as a melee weapon? (similar to a sword). Marisa could just simply be for all mii fighter types.
  • Brawler: Marisa just fights with her fists.
  • Swordfighter: Marisa wields a broomstick.
  • Gunner: Marisa points out her index finger similar to cuphead.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
View attachment 291859
And here am I - been into Touhou for almost 8 years and the only pieces of merch I own are a 25€ figure of Yuyuko and Hecatia's shirt, ahaha.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Marisa's Broomstick can be used as a melee weapon. Uhh, does Marisa ever use her broomstick as a melee weapon? (similar to a sword). Marisa could just simply be for all mii fighter types.
  • Brawler: Marisa just fights with her fists.
  • Swordfighter: Marisa wields a broomstick.
  • Gunner: Marisa points out her index finger similar to cuphead.
Why wouldn't Gunner Marisa be using the Mini Hakkero?

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Exactly what I thought ^^ which is why Marisa should be a mii gunner lol
I also think Sakuya could get a mii costume as well since she's extremely popular but it wouldn't really work well with Mii swordfighter (or any of them imo), and I'd think the mii costume wave wouldn't be limited to just Touhou but also various other indie games like Shovel Knight, Shantae and stuff to go with the theme ^^
Also if memory serves right Youmu is basically the only Touhou character that uses swords/katanas right? I know most Touhou girls use knives or scythes instead x)
How popular is Youmu in the fanbase? (Honestly I just want to be able to play as "her" in Smash lmao, hoping Sakurai likes her :p )

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I also think Sakuya could get a mii costume as well since she's extremely popular but it wouldn't really work well with Mii swordfighter (or any of them imo), and I'd think the mii costume wave wouldn't be limited to just Touhou but also various other indie games like Shovel Knight, Shantae and stuff to go with the theme ^^
Also if memory serves right Youmu is basically the only Touhou character that uses swords/katanas right? I know most Touhou girls use knives or scythes instead x)
How popular is Youmu in the fanbase? (Honestly I just want to be able to play as "her" in Smash lmao, hoping Sakurai likes her :p )
Youmu just won the latest popularity contest, ranking her #1 when usually Reimu or Marisa would be near that spot (Reimu was after her anyways). So I'd say she's pretty popular. In general she's always been liked since she shows up often ever since her first appareance in 7, not to mention being playable in the latest game.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
For Touhou characters who use swords beside Youmu, there's Yumeko from the pc-98 era, Flandre, Tenshi, Miko, Momiji also has one, and I guess Youki since he's canon (he's the also the only one beside Youmu that use katana specificaly). And I also think that Cirno can make an ice sword in Hisoutensoku, though I'm not too sure about this one. But Youmu is the most popular according to the latest popularity poll so it would be very likely for her to get a costume, especialy since she's also one of the main characters pretty often.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Youmu's the most obvious choice for a Swordfighter Mii, but I could see Tenshi as well, since she's actually from a fighting game. Same with Suika for Brawlers, though I think she's a clearer shot than Tenshi.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So does the Mini Hakkero shoot magic?

For Touhou characters who use swords beside Youmu, there's Yumeko from the pc-98 era, Flandre, Tenshi, Miko, Momiji also has one, and I guess Youki since he's canon (he's the also the only one beside Youmu that use katana specificaly). And I also think that Cirno can make an ice sword in Hisoutensoku, though I'm not too sure about this one. But Youmu is the most popular according to the latest popularity poll so it would be very likely for her to get a costume, especialy since she's also one of the main characters pretty often.
I would say that Reimu, Marisa, and Sanae can be considered swordfighters too because they wield weapons that are used similarly to swords.

Sakuya could actually work for all types.
  • Brawler: Sakuya just fights with her fists.
  • Swordfighter: Sakuya wields a giant knife.
  • Gunner: Sakuya's right arm is replaced by a knife launcher arm cannon. The cannon resembles something along the lines of this depiction below, expect it fires knives instead of scissors.
1605414034745.png

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So does the Mini Hakkero shoot magic?
Yes, heat and magical energy.

Sakuya could actually work for all types.
  • Brawler: Sakuya just fights with her fists.
  • Swordfighter: Sakuya wields a giant knife.
  • Gunner: Sakuya's right arm is replaced by a knife launcher arm cannon. The cannon resembles something along the lines of this depiction below, expect it fires knives instead of scissors.
This seems like it's a bit of a stretch. The oversized knife I could understand, the barehanded concept is a bit awkward but no worse than Brawler Callie, but the knife launcher is just a bit too many liberties taken. No Mii Costume has changed the visual effects of the attack; They're just changes to the model of the Mii themselves. If the costume outright has to make something up instead of just repurposing something from the game, I don't think it's feasible.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
This seems like it's a bit of a stretch. The oversized knife I could understand, the barehanded concept is a bit awkward but no worse than Brawler Callie, but the knife launcher is just a bit too many liberties taken. No Mii Costume has changed the visual effects of the attack; They're just changes to the model of the Mii themselves. If the costume outright has to make something up instead of just repurposing something from the game, I don't think it's feasible.
The knife launcher arm cannon is similar to the Sans mii gunner costume. Sans never used a ghaster blaster arm cannon in Undertale. Likewise, Sakuya never used any kinds of guns to shoot her knives, nor has she never used an arm cannon. So I still think that Sakuya being for all types is feasible.

At this point, I think pretty much any Touhou character with a melee weapon could work for all mii fighter types.

Now for the other Touhou characters:

For Remilia
  • Brawler: Remilia fights unarmed.
  • Swordfighter: Remilia wields her energy spear.
  • Gunner: Remilia points out her index finger, similar to Cuphead.
For Flandre
  • Brawler: Flandre fights unarmed.
  • Swordfighter: Flandre wields her energy sword.
  • Gunner: Flandre points out her index finger, similar to Cuphead.
For Cirno
  • Brawler: Cirno fights unarmed.
  • Swordfighter: Cirno molds her ice into a sword.
  • Gunner: Cirno points out her index finger.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The knife launcher arm cannon is similar to the Sans mii gunner costume. Sans never used a ghaster blaster arm cannon in Undertale. Likewise, Sakuya never used any kinds of guns to shoot her knives, nor has she never used an arm cannon. So I still think that Sakuya being for all types is feasible.

At this point, I think pretty much any Touhou character with a melee weapon could work for all mii fighter types.

Now for the other Touhou characters:

For Remilia
  • Brawler: Remilia fights unarmed.
  • Swordfighter: Remilia wields her energy spear.
  • Gunner: Remilia points out her index finger, similar to Cuphead.
For Flandre
  • Brawler: Flandre fights unarmed.
  • Swordfighter: Flandre wields her energy sword.
  • Gunner: Flandre points out her index finger, similar to Cuphead.
For Cirno
  • Brawler: Cirno fights unarmed.
  • Swordfighter: Cirno molds her ice into a sword.
  • Gunner: Cirno points out her index finger.
Sans actually used Ghaster Blasters to fire lasers, even if he didn't have it as an arm cannon. Sakuya has never used a knife cannon or any sort of firearm in any official Touhou media. It's not the same situation.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, so I just thought of how a potential Hakurei Shrine stage would work:

It's a Final Destination-type stage, except the "platform" it consists of basically makes the fighters "airborne", much like how it works in Urban Legend in Limbo onwards. When you land on the main platform, you basically "squish" against it, making U-airs easier to land before you go back to the level in which you would normally stand. What also makes this unique is that after jumping on it, you can choose to either stay in an airborne state or switch to a standing state by either flicking down or using attacks that require you to be on the ground. There would be a limit to how far you can "float", in which you'll just fall towards the blast zone. And of course, there would be more than double the background cameos in comparison to King of Fighters Stadium.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oh good, it's past the 24-hour limit! I'm safe to post without getting a warning!

Taking a look at Steve and how he apparently took 5 years worth of negotiations had me thinking: remember the Doujin rumor? The thing way back in 2018 where rumors of Smash remixes for Touhou songs from various Doujin circles popped up? Well, here's the thing: Love or hate Vergeben, he made claims that Minecraft content of some form would make it into Smash, and stood the test of time for 2 years before eventually being proven true. Looking back at those claims and looking back at the Doujin leak gives me a little hope that this would turn out true.

And yet this begs the question: how many responses to Steve in Smash were there from Microsoft and Mojang from 2015 leading up to Steve's reveal? If Mojang and Microsoft managed to keep Steve under wraps for as long as they had, then no doubt ZUN's comments about Touhou not being in Smash just by thinking about it, is possibly at some level close to the former two.

Then there's the topic of uniqueness: Min Min and Steve have been absolutely DUMMY unusual, and Sakurai has brought up exploring new mechanics after Byleth's reveal. He's seemed to have lived up to that promise with Min Min having two movesets per arm and Steve flat-out terraforming the stage. If Reimu is gonna be in Smash with that statement in mind, Reimu would probably be just as unique, maybe even more of an act of sorcery than Steve. And with ZUN being so loose in terms of rights, I'd imagine the majority of the time would go right to making Reimu as Touhou-like as possible. I mean, Sakurai's gone out of his way to rewriting all the stages just to accommodate Steve's gimmicks, he's going the extra mile so far, and I don't think he's gonna stop.

Now I'm not saying this confirms Reimu, but rather this puts her in a bigger hope spot than in the past.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Oh good, it's past the 24-hour limit! I'm safe to post without getting a warning!

Taking a look at Steve and how he apparently took 5 years worth of negotiations had me thinking: remember the Doujin rumor? The thing way back in 2018 where rumors of Smash remixes for Touhou songs from various Doujin circles popped up? Well, here's the thing: Love or hate Vergeben, he made claims that Minecraft content of some form would make it into Smash, and stood the test of time for 2 years before eventually being proven true. Looking back at those claims and looking back at the Doujin leak gives me a little hope that this would turn out true.

And yet this begs the question: how many responses to Steve in Smash were there from Microsoft and Mojang from 2015 leading up to Steve's reveal? If Mojang and Microsoft managed to keep Steve under wraps for as long as they had, then no doubt ZUN's comments about Touhou not being in Smash just by thinking about it, is possibly at some level close to the former two.

Then there's the topic of uniqueness: Min Min and Steve have been absolutely DUMMY unusual, and Sakurai has brought up exploring new mechanics after Byleth's reveal. He's seemed to have lived up to that promise with Min Min having two movesets per arm and Steve flat-out terraforming the stage. If Reimu is gonna be in Smash with that statement in mind, Reimu would probably be just as unique, maybe even more of an act of sorcery than Steve. And with ZUN being so loose in terms of rights, I'd imagine the majority of the time would go right to making Reimu as Touhou-like as possible. I mean, Sakurai's gone out of his way to rewriting all the stages just to accommodate Steve's gimmicks, he's going the extra mile so far, and I don't think he's gonna stop.

Now I'm not saying this confirms Reimu, but rather this puts her in a bigger hope spot than in the past.
I was thinking about this too when Steve was revealed but didn't the person who started the doujin rumor admit that this was just their fantasy and not actual information? I want to believe but I highly doubt it's real at this point.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I was thinking about this too when Steve was revealed but didn't the person who started the doujin rumor admit that this was just their fantasy and not actual information? I want to believe but I highly doubt it's real at this point.
I think that was for a different rumor, tho. Like for KOS-MOS or something in the time before the Byleth presentation. That's the time I remember seeing something like this.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I thought doujin leak's big crossover turned out to be the Hello Kitty one? Or did something else happen with it?

Either way, I'm not that invested in "leaks". I've grown to just be optimistic for characters based on their own merits, regardless of what the leakermen do or don't say.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It's pretty clear that all of the leaks involving Reimu have turned out to be rubbish due to the amount of time which has passed since then, so probably best to move on from those. Minecraft was about the safest guess you could have made for a 3rd party rep given that it's an absolute colossus in the video gaming industry, especially among the demographic which currently comprises the core of the Smash fanbase (i.e. Gen Z), so there's equally not much reason to put stock in anyone who predicted that.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
It's pretty clear that all of the leaks involving Reimu have turned out to be rubbish due to the amount of time which has passed since then, so probably best to move on from those.
Well, Steve did take a long time compared to other DLC fighters. Due to Reimu's potential being very complex, she has to have longer development time than usual.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, Steve did take a long time compared to other DLC fighters. Due to Reimu's potential being very complex, she has to have longer development time than usual.
Exactly! Sakurai would want to make Reimu as close to Touhou as possible in Smash, and that statement is very likely after his "new mechanics" statement during Byleth's presentation as well as Min Min and Steve's mechanics. If Reimu is Challenger Pack 8, then she'd have to have at least something to set herself apart from even that.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While I'm not saying that you can't be hopeful, it should be kept in mind that just because Steve took a while doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will take a while. It should also be noted that not every DLC character is going to be gimmicky. Remember, Banjo came after Joker's Persona mechanics and Hero's RNG frickery, and all they had were a couple specials that worked differently. There's also Byleth, who had no gimmicks whatsoever despite following Terry, who has one of the most loyal movesets in the game. Heck, Sakurai might even decide to have a more simplistic moveset after Steve and Min Min, as to give the devs a break. While I believe that Reimu probably would have a unique and loyal moveset, we don't know that for sure and I'm not confident in basing predictions off an unknown variable.

Top Bottom