• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Great! This way we could convince that even if the popularity of Touhou is centralized in Japan the status there it is a no joke considering people always thought of Touhou being embedded in Japanese internet culture that they always thought of her being only acknowledged by Japan's very own internet normies.

Also, I'm still waiting for more evidence of big company collaborating with the Touhou series other than what perfectchaos says. Planning to make a list and hope that its gets added to the main thread.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Great! This way we could convince that even if the popularity of Touhou is centralized in Japan the status there it is a no joke considering people always thought of Touhou being embedded in Japanese internet culture that they always thought of her being only acknowledged by Japan's very own internet normies.
I brought up earlier in this thread (Like, way back) that Touhou can basically be easily seen as the indie-game scene's own Dragon Quest in Japan. They're both cultural titans in Japan, with Touhou being more so thanks to its lax rights. Besides, it's been a seed in our minds whether we know something's from Touhou or not. I mean, how many memes, manga, fan animations or artwork have you seen without realizing it's from Touhou?

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I brought up earlier in this thread (Like, way back) that Touhou can basically be easily seen as the indie-game scene's own Dragon Quest in Japan. They're both cultural titans in Japan, with Touhou being more so thanks to its lax rights. Besides, it's been a seed in our minds whether we know something's from Touhou or not. I mean, how many memes, manga, fan animations or artwork have you seen without realizing it's from Touhou?
Exactly! you could basically say that Touhou is the grandmother of successful Indie game, being older than Shantae and Cave Story and garnered so much fans that big company started to to make merchandise and games of the series. It's just that people won't listen because "haha, this guy want his anime waifu" or "eff that! popularity isn't everything you dumbturd" while at the same time requesting Crash just because he is popular 90s icon and dismisses Touhou's various achievement just because it's an indie game.

This statement always come from those overseas loyalist who only see it through a one-way window as "if I never play it, have official translation, nor is on a console then you have no rights to have them represented. Shut the heck up with that "Popular in Japan" thing, it's about us, the consumer who is more big than in Japan."

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Happy Halloween!
Here's a little somethin-somethin'!
(not to get buried so soon last page):

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
ZUN composed the main theme for Indie Live Expo that you will be hearing on stream.

Like last year, there will also be Touhou music performed by Dyna 4 on drums I think.
The same guy as last time too it seems.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
ZUN composed the main theme for Indie Live Expo that you will be hearing on stream.

Like last year, there will also be Touhou music performed by Dyna 4 on drums I think.
The same guy as last time too it seems.
Is the Indie Expo going to be featured in English, better yet worldwide?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Yes. https://indie.live-expo.games/en/
I also updated my previous post because I didnt see that they had an English Tweet for it as well.
If that is the chase I can't wait for the overseas viewer jammin to the music but didn't know who compose it and after searching they found out that the one that make the music is someone who also made Touhou, that way because of this event I bet that a lot of people will be drawn to Touhou. Who says Touhou couldn't appeal worldwide when music is universal.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So I just tried to play Touhou 17 on Normal instead of Easy.

Needless to say, I died.

Just to check, you do get the Good Ending if you don't use any continues on Easy, right? Or is it a Normal and up thing?

Rikarte

Smash Ace
So I just tried to play Touhou 17 on Normal instead of Easy.

Needless to say, I died.

Just to check, you do get the Good Ending if you don't use any continues on Easy, right? Or is it a Normal and up thing?
What shot type were you using? Make sure to get full use out of your resources and hypers - sometimes it's good to keep a few animal spirits around instead of grabbing them immediately so you can collect them when a boss shows up. If you practice the stages and boss spells you should have your 1cc in no time, I believe in you!

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Just dropped by to show this art of Min Min wearing Youmu Konpaku's outfit, my favorite Touhou girl, that I commissioned ^^
I love it so much ^^

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'm curious, was Touhou the first indie videogame ever? If not, what was the first indie videogame?
I mean I think so? Considering Indie game is as old as times went on but Touhou is the first one that at least gets an attraction and popularity, well when EoSD came out but the first game is literally released the same year as Pokémon Red & Blue.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I mean I think so? Considering Indie game is as old as times went on but Touhou is the first one that at least gets an attraction and popularity, well when EoSD came out but the first game is literally released the same year as Pokémon Red & Blue.
Touhou 1: Highly responsive to prayers was released in 1997. Not to mention, Touhou was obscure until the early-mid 2000s.

No. Indie Game development goes as far back as the 60's which predates even the Magnavox Odyssey.
So what was the first indie videogame? If Touhou wasn't the first, was Touhou the first indie videogame to have a storyline?

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Touhou 1: Highly responsive to prayers was released in 1997.
Screenshot_2020-11-07-09-56-14-64.jpg

Screenshot_2020-11-07-09-55-11-55.jpg

The first display at least but Pokémon didn't reach US until 1998 but the full release of Highly Responsive to Prayers fully revealed in 1997, I guess you could say Touhou is older than Pokemon?

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
The first display at least but Pokémon didn't reach US until 1998 but the full release of Highly Responsive to Prayers fully revealed in 1997, I guess you could say Touhou is older than Pokemon?
You can't use this argument since Touhou basically never reached us before steam releases.

MattX20

Smash Hero
This might be a dumb question, but supposing that Reimu gets a slot, would U.N. Owen was Her be one of the music tracks included or is that unlikely considering how many games there are?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
This might be a dumb question, but supposing that Reimu gets a slot, would U.N. Owen was Her be one of the music tracks included or is that unlikely considering how many games there are?
I think it would be great to include U.N. Owen was Her as a music track included with a Flandre mii costume. Just like Sans and Cuphead.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
UN Owen was Her? is far and away one of the most popular and iconic songs of the series, and was the one thing everyone knew about Touhou for a while (Partially because of... Whatever this was). If Reimu doesn't come with UN Owen was Her?, there will be riots in the streets.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
UN Owen was Her? is far and away one of the most popular and iconic songs of the series, and was the one thing everyone knew about fTouhou for a while (Partially because of... Whatever this was). If Reimu doesn't come with UN Owen was Her?, there will be riots in the streets.
I mentioned above that U.N Owen was Her could be released separately with a Flandre mii costume.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
U.N. Owen Was Her? would absolutely come with Reimu if she does join, after all, it has been in the top 3 of the most popular tracks of the series ever since it existed, with the only one rivling it being Septette For the Dead Princess, which is Remilia's theme. Really the only possibility of U.N. Owen not being in if Reimu joined would be if the Smash team that makes the music decided to just do almost exclusively medleys since there's just so many Touhou tracks, but there's like no chance of it hapening like that, so yeah, U.N. Owen would be in.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Near the start of this year, I made a moveset for Reimu Hakurei. And right now, I've decided I wanted to rework it inspired by the two most recent Fighters in Smash, and this here thread, whether it's you guys' ideas or mine. This is the result:

Gimmick #1: Flying Danmaku: Reimu is never in an "on-the-ground" stance. Instead, she is in a constant floating state, much like in the Touhou fighting games from Hopeless Masquerade onwards. However, there is a limited area where she can fly, much like how there’s a building limit to Steve’s blocks. Should Reimu leave this area, she will be treated like any other fighter and just start falling. While this happens, she can attempt to return to the flight zone to regain her constant flying state.

Gimmick #2: Focus Mode: Since Reimu is constantly in the air, she can’t shield normally: she instead has a “Focus Mode” that shrinks her hurtbox to the size of a White Pikmin and positioning it on her upper torso area, all at the cost of reducing her movement speed to 0.5x. While in Focus Mode, Reimu has different Specials and a different Jab/N-air that she can access, and she can engage in a unique “air-dash” that allows her to move in bursts of speed. When her hurtbox is hit even once while Focusing, she will go into Focus Break, a shield-break style state similar to K. Rool’s Belly Break.

Jab/N-air: Ofuda/Needle Barrage: A different attack based on whether or not she’s in Focus Mode. The fuda talismans have slight homing properties at the cost of having low damage output, whereas the Persuasion Needles have no homing projectiles, but immense damage output. This move can be aimed while attacking with the joystick.

Dash attack: Flies forwards with a lunging kick that has immense knockback and damage output. Is safe on block and on whiff.

F-tilt/F-/B-air: A horizontal swing with the gohei, leading to a hitbox that allows her to hit opponents behind her. Good for punishing cross-ups and has some decent kill potential.

U-tilt/U-air: An upwards-thrusting kick that grants Reimu additional height in her flight. Has great kill potential by itself and is safe on whiff. Has three variants: neutral, ascending, and descending. Use this while not moving to perform as is, use while jumping/flying upwards to get more vertical range, use while falling/descending to plummet for a bit before attacking.

D-tilt/D-air: A leap upwards leading to a downwards kick beneath her. This is good for forcing the opponent to whiff potential attacks and attack from above, and also serves as an unconventional anti-air. Has three variants: neutral, ascending, and descending. Use this while not moving to perform as is, use while jumping/flying upwards to get more vertical range, use while falling/descending to plummet for a bit before attacking.

Grab: Reimu tosses a sealing talisman in front of her. Should an opponent be hit by this, they will be stunned whether they're on the ground or in mid-air as though the talisman was petrifying them. For her pummel, she will strike them over the head with the gohei as though she was disciplining them.

F-throw: Fire a barrage of five talismans in front of her that rack up damage and launch the opponent. Good for dealing damage and is good for setting Reimu up for follow-ups with Side Smash or U-air.

B-throw: Fly past your opponent and strike from behind with a whirling gohei blow. Is good for set-ups but nor for killing.

D-throw: Reimu will disappear into a Dimensional Rift and appear above the opponent, landing on top of them with a dropkick. If used while “standing” on the ground, this will function like normal, but use it in mid-air and it will strike them in a semi-meteor attack, only knocking opponents downwards as though they were standing on the ground.

U-throw: Reimu will lift the opponent up, then smash a Yin-Yang Orb into their torso, the orb spinning as it is used resulting in multiple hits before it bursts and launches the opponent.

Side Smash: Reimu creates a Yin-Yang Sanctifier Orb that revolves in place for a moment. Should it hit while it’s being released, it will disappear. If used while whiffing, you can press A again to fire the Yin-Yang Orb as a projectile that can catch opponents, much like a multi-hit Charge Shot.

Up Smash: Reimu will charge with power, then unleash the Evil-Sealing Circle, a large pillar of energy covering her body and reaching upwards and downwards. From her body, both upwards and downwards portions of the pillar reach about as far as Palutena’s Up-Smash, but in turn, is about as narrow as the Belmonts’ Up-Smash thanks to her rather small physique.

Down Smash: Reimu will flip downwards and spin her gohei beneath her while it crackles with energy with Rain Dance. This hits both sides of her, even when touching the ground, and can meteor smash if used in mid-air.

Neutral B: Hakurei Amulet: A barrage of 5 homing amulets, 4 small and one large, that can be aimed. They lock onto a nearby opponent, much like Palutena’s Autoreticle, and very slightly home in on them as well.

Focus Neutral B: Youkai Buster: A dense barrage of projectiles that strikes anyone in front of her, goes farther out as it goes. This is a move with high kill potential and deals immense damage by itself.

Side B: Yin-Yang Orb: Unleash a powerful Yin-Yang Orb that bounces off screen boundaries and stage collision before striking the opponent. Only one Yin-Yang Orb can be used at a time and will last for 5 seconds before vanishing without hitting anything.

Focused Side B: Yin-Yang Power: While in Focus Mode, Yin-Yang Orb becomes an entity revolving around Reimu that serves as an additional output for her Barrage Attack. This can stack up to 4 times, and any Yin-Yang Orbs summoned will vanish if Reimu herself is hit.

Up B: Floating Wall Jump: Create a barrier to use as a foothold to jump off of. Can go up, then down, or down then up for a riskier recovery, much like Steve’s Elytra.

Focus Up B: Ascension Kick: A rising, fiery flip-kick that propels Reimu upwards. Has high damage and low knockback for combo potential.

Down B: Cautionary Barrier: A brief, yet powerful barrier that Reimu can use to reflect projectiles, including her own Yin-Yang Orb. This also possesses some collision that can cause bouncing, much like Steve’s Blocks.

Focus Down B: Dream Sign “Duplex Barrier”: Create a box-shaped barrier that can trap opponents inside with her and reflect projectiles within. Those not caught in the barrier upon summoning can still move as they please. Duplex Barrier will vanish after 8 seconds.

Final Smash #1: Spirit Sign “Fantasy Seal”: Unleash a barrage of rainbow energy orbs that homes in on all opponents in front of her.

Final Smash #2: Fantasy Nature: After a long charge period, release a screen-wide attack that instantly kills anyone in range. This is only accessible if Reimu is over 100%. If Reimu ends the battle with this Final Smash, a special victory animation is played.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
U.N. Owen Was Her? would absolutely come with Reimu if she does join, after all, it has been in the top 3 of the most popular tracks of the series ever since it existed, with the only one rivling it being Septette For the Dead Princess, which is Remilia's theme. Really the only possibility of U.N. Owen not being in if Reimu joined would be if the Smash team that makes the music decided to just do almost exclusively medleys since there's just so many Touhou tracks, but there's like no chance of it hapening like that, so yeah, U.N. Owen would be in.
Speaking of U.N Owen Was Her, although Flandre and Remilia have now faded into obscurtiy in general. Are they still popular today?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
lmfao
they're still easily some of the most popular characters
song has been voted #1 in the popularity contest for god knows how long at this point
I mean U.N Owen & Flowering Night/Night of Night is probably the most iconic track in the series both inside and outside of the fanbase, even if it turns into a relic no doubt that they will add that in, it's like having a Mario Bros music without the original ground theme from the first game or even a Street Fighter track without Guile's Theme.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
welp, I've been MIA from smash boards for awhile, just checking in on best shrine maiden here. Seems like a few games are coming out on the switch in english, and even a touhou gacha game huh? How is that, and how are the prices? I am already playing FGO and Genshin Impact, so my gacha budget is spread thin lol.

Was anything shown yesterday for touhou at that indie event?

And really, anyone who says touhou is obscure is kidding themselves. Touhou is Japanese Minecraft in terms of size, only difference is that it didn't leave japan as much as minecraft left sweden. TOuhou has thousands of fan games, doujin works, and more, it has its own convention, its still going strong with over 20 mainline games, and more crossovers then any other indie game for sure, and very high up there with mainline games as well.

Honestly its not a question of if Reimu and TOuhou deserves or earned a right into smash now, as it by far has, its more, will Nintendo and Sakurai put it in. its all up to them. I think profit wise Reimu would be a no brainer, given the size of the brand. Nintendo and ZUN both can profit a lot from a crossover like that.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
And really, anyone who says touhou is obscure is kidding themselves. Touhou is Japanese Minecraft in terms of size, only difference is that it didn't leave japan as much as minecraft left sweden. TOuhou has thousands of fan games, doujin works, and more, it has its own convention, its still going strong with over 20 mainline games, and more crossovers then any other indie game for sure, and very high up there with mainline games as well.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid to say it, but the people who think Touhou are obscure are ignorant. And I've heard the misconception that "Touhou is obscure." several times already. I can understand why more people would want Reimu to be an assist trophy rather than a playable character.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I never thought that Touhou was obscure. I always knew how iconic/famous Touhou is.
I mean the only people in the speculative scene that understand the popularity of Touhou is PushDustin and Source Gaming, ironic considering their the same people who provide the votes about Reimu on how she scored higher in their unofficial poll.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Wait who says that?
Seen it a few times on a bunch of different Smash youtuber channels a few months back. Nothing really to get worried about honestly. It’s not just a Touhou thing either since I saw it with other characters.

Pretty sure none of them were big (I could be wrong) since I can’t remember their username’s on YouTube. But it is a general thing I see on those videos.

What I’m saying is that a lot of people just don’t bother to research any of these characters they talk about if they never played the games even for a second.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Seen it a few times on a bunch of different Smash youtuber channels a few months back. Nothing really to get worried about honestly. It’s not just a Touhou thing either since I saw it with other characters.

Pretty sure none of them were big (I could be wrong) since I can’t remember their username’s on YouTube. But it is a general thing I see on those videos.

What I’m saying is that a lot of people just don’t bother to research any of these characters they talk about if they never played the games even for a second.
Just like I said the only known YouTube channel that by far knew how well known and iconic Touhou is Sourcegaming, the same channel who bring Reimu in the limelight again with their unofficial poll which garner s lot of attention from Japan Twitter.

Even big speculation channel like PapaGenos still doubt her chances but still bring up the idea of it being niche. How do I know this? It's from his QnA video where he answers question from his discord server which I'm in, one of them asked about Touhou and he just replied with uncertainty, luckily that specific question appear early in the video so no need to skip that an hour of video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom