• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Rikarte

Smash Ace

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Hey all. Time for another Smash mod, except this one isn't Ultimate and aren't even my own mods lol.
I've archived 100+ Touhou Brawl mods including all their images and links (credits).
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EWLeYqfWgqrSU4CfIu18z2hkAuuxlQvH

Why? Well, sometimes I like to check other people's work and I accidentally amassed a big collection. So I figured I'd post it.
Music mods are not included because I need to download them individually and there's a lot of them and I already posted like 400 Touhou tracks in Ultimate.
Yeah there are a lot of Touhou mods for Brawl.
Especially one guy made a huge amount of those.
And its not just music and character models, but also things like stages and items.
Very impressive. Maybe one day we reach this kind of level to Touhoufy Ultimate one day.

Soulor

Smash Cadet
Ooo is that like a Pocky and Rocky remaster of sorts or an entirely new game? I did notice a few new things in the trailer, but there was the exact same 1st stage layout and stage boss.

Anyways, glad to see them back. I still own my copy on SNES and a friend and I played through it earlier this year.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Hey all, I’m back with another Smash Ultimate mod. This time it’s Okuu Samus, an Utsuho-inspired color palette for Samus’ green alt.
Download: https://gamebanana.com/skins/180918

While I did commission this, I didn’t make it. All credits go to @SolStickFigures on Twitter, they made the whole mod. I did edit together a video showcasing it however:

This was inspired by the Utsuho Samus that made Chucklez and others made on Brawl Vault.
https://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=219242

Yeah, that random Brawl Vault post I made before? That was foreshadowing. So, if anyone has any cool Touhou color palette ideas for characters, let me know. And if I personally-in-my-opinion think it’s cool too, I’ll commission for it.

And no this is not the model swap I was hinting at in earlier posts. That’s still coming.
Love the song you used on Fountain of Dreams. Wish the person who made the mod would have changed the color of her Charge Shot to make it look more like Utsuho's suns.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Quatro A has announced the termination of their services for Touhou Cannonball for October 14, 2020.

And heres a blatant self-advertisement on my end regarding this.
https://twilightnewspaper.wordpress...ll-to-terminate-their-services-on-october-14/

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm not upset nor complaining, but I would like to compare Touhou's sales to Shantae's sales worldwide. Although I support Shantae as well, I want to know if Touhou or Shantae is more popular.

Last edited:

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
I'm not upset nor complaining, but I would like to compare Touhou's sales to Shantae's sales worldwide. Although I support Shantae as well, I want to know if Touhou or Shantae is more popular.
touhou
sales data
ecks dee
Edit: But seriously, unless there's some Japanese source that can be referred to, I'm pretty sure the only sales sources you're going to get are on fangames

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
touhou
sales data
ecks dee
Edit: But seriously, unless there's some Japanese source that can be referred to, I'm pretty sure the only sales sources you're going to get are on fangames
I'm looking for the sales of Touhou official games, not counting fangames.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking for the sales of Touhou official games, not counting fangames.
Honestly, you're probably out of luck then. Without fail, ZUN sells every copy of whatever game he puts out at Comiket/Reitaisai within hours, but I imagine that how much he actually prints of a game each time is not exactly... documented (could be wrong here, but idk where to look for sources). This is completely discounting the fact that you will find physical copies in just about any doujin shop, and even more general stores at this point as well (here's a tweet of Touhou games and merch being sold at Narita airport lol:

This is further discounting the fact that digital sales exist now
aaaaand finally I'm certain that given the hilarious ease of acquiring Touhou less than legally, a lot of people have probably just... pirated it (especially in the west. Getting any official Touhou game pre-mid 2010s in the west was difficult for a number of reasons.)
I'm not going to provide a link (because rules), but a Western Touhou centered forum where you can easily download all the games has EOSD sitting at just over 100,000 downloads. Keep in mind that the file was uploaded to that website in early 2018, so that's literally over a decade of piracy unaccounted for, from... wherever Touhou was illegally downloaded in the west before then. Also discounts all the other games too.

tl;dr
finding out how many people actually played/pirated/bought the games is futile

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, you're probably out of luck then. Without fail, ZUN sells every copy of whatever game he puts out at Comiket/Reitaisai within hours, but I imagine that how much he actually prints of a game each time is not exactly... documented (could be wrong here, but idk where to look for sources). This is completely discounting the fact that you will find physical copies in just about any doujin shop, and even more general stores at this point as well (here's a tweet of Touhou games and merch being sold at Narita airport lol:

This is further discounting the fact that digital sales exist now
aaaaand finally I'm certain that given the hilarious ease of acquiring Touhou less than legally, a lot of people have probably just... pirated it (especially in the west. Getting any official Touhou game pre-mid 2010s in the west was difficult for a number of reasons.)
I'm not going to provide a link (because rules), but a Western Touhou centered forum where you can easily download all the games has EOSD sitting at just over 100,000 downloads. Keep in mind that the file was uploaded to that website in early 2018, so that's literally over a decade of piracy unaccounted for, from... wherever Touhou was illegally downloaded in the west before then. Also discounts all the other games too.

tl;dr
finding out how many people actually played/pirated/bought the games is futile
Yeah, the thing about Touhou is that it runs less on sales and more on general fan support. Comparing sales is futile.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Heres the new Touhou decorations for Akihabara Atre, for the Touhou 25th Anniversary.

Link to the collab page http://hakurei-sukeikai.com/autumn2020/
this is not the first time obviously

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Heres the new Touhou decorations for Akihabara Atre, for the Touhou 25th Anniversary.

At first I was really surprised that PC-98 Reimu was there until I realized both designs were used. Kinda surprising that Mayumi's there too, given how new a character she is. Do you think we'll be seeing more of her in future installments.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
At first I was really surprised that PC-98 Reimu was there until I realized both designs were used. Kinda surprising that Mayumi's there too, given how new a character she is. Do you think we'll be seeing more of her in future installments.
PC-98 Reimu is similar to Classic Sonic. PC-98 era of Touhou was essentially the classic era of Touhou. The modern age of Touhou began when it made it's first windows release.

Looks beautiful!

So, is Touhou more popular than Shantae? I mean worldwide popularity, not just a specific region or area.

Last edited:

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
PC-98 Reimu is similar to Classic Sonic. PC-98 era of Touhou was essentially the classic era of Touhou. The modern age of Touhou began when it made it's first windows release.

Looks beautiful!

So, is Touhou more popular than Shantae? I mean worldwide popularity, not just a specific region or area.
m9, I really don't think it's easy to track that.
Here's some google trends, which is really the only thing I can remotely think of to kinda-sort of track it.
googletrend1.JPG
googletrend2.JPG

note china isn't listed here, but baidu index would probably give a similar result to say, Hong Kong/Taiwan
And searching by game series should cover language variations

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
m9, I really don't think it's really easy to track that.
Here's some google trends, which is really the only thing I can remotely think of to kinda-sort of track it.
View attachment 285665View attachment 285666
I guess the answer is yes, Touhou is more popular than Shantae, and it's also a more iconic indie game franchise as well. I would also like to see if Shantae is more popular than Touhou within the West.

Last edited:

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
I guess the answer is yes, Touhou is more popular than Shantae, and it's also a more iconic indie game franchise as well. I would also like to see if Shantae is more popular than Touhou within the West.
I mean, touhou blue is literally everywhere on that map. But using google trends isn't really the greatest (or even a good) measure of popularity, but it's really the only tool I can think of to measure general trends.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I mean, touhou blue is literally everywhere on that map. But using google trends isn't really the greatest (or even a good) measure of popularity, but it's really the only tool I can think of to measure general trends.
Shantae is certainly not obscure.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, I finished my oversized cameo list. Time to start working on the Spirit Board.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Shantae is certainly not obscure.
Shantae absolutely is obscure. That's no knock against the franchise, mind you. Advance Wars is one of my favorite games of all time and at this point it's quite obscure. But it's a fact that it'd be hard to find a series whose popularity is more inflated in roster discussion circles than Shantae's.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Shantae absolutely is obscure. That's no knock against the franchise, mind you. Advance Wars is one of my favorite games of all time and at this point it's quite obscure. But it's a fact that it'd be hard to find a series whose popularity is more inflated in roster discussion circles than Shantae's.
Nobody thinks that Shantae or Banjo Kazooie are obscure. In fact, Shantae and Banjo have been popular requests for Smash, and I want them both to be playable. However, Bayonetta is obscure though.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Being a popular request for smash has nothing to do with being obscure or not. And comparing Banjo and Shantae is quite inappropriate in my opinion.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Nobody thinks that Shantae or Banjo Kazooie are obscure. In fact, Shantae and Banjo have been popular requests for Smash, and I want them both to be playable. However, Bayonetta is obscure though.
Like zriL said, the core of my point is that being a popular request in these frankly pretty closed roster circles is ultimately meaningless since roster discussion groups are a vanishingly small percentage of the overall Smash fanbase and, as small, closed-off communities, are prone to groupthink. Bayonetta is a lesser-known character, but even she featured in multiple games from a major studio. Shantae is a very obscure indie games character who punches above her weight in roster discussion circles due to years of being pushed by fans in those same circles. Touhou may be relatively obscure by Western standards but it's still far more prolific than Shantae in that it's had multiple truly mainstream memes.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Being a popular request for smash has nothing to do with being obscure or not.
I'm aware that popularity and fame do not equal each other.

Like zriL said, the core of my point is that being a popular request in these frankly pretty closed roster circles is ultimately meaningless since roster discussion groups are a vanishingly small percentage of the overall Smash fanbase and, as small, closed-off communities, are prone to groupthink. Bayonetta is a lesser-known character, but even she featured in multiple games from a major studio. Shantae is a very obscure indie games character who punches above her weight in roster discussion circles due to years of being pushed by fans in those same circles. Touhou may be relatively obscure by Western standards but it's still far more prolific than Shantae in that it's had multiple truly mainstream memes.
Hmm.. Are you trolling? Shantae has even gotten a new game lately. The titular half genie hero may have been obscure back in the 2000s, but she eventually became iconic in the early-mid 2010s. Anyway, if you think Touhou is more iconic than Shantae, you are correct.

Nightcore videos on YouTube rely on stolen music and art with low effort editing.
Here are some examples of Nightcore videos and/or trance music reuploads where Reimu appears in the thumbnail. Once again, I think I already know why everyone knows Reimu, but nobody knows her name.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I'm aware that popularity and fame do not equal each other.
I'm not talking about fame. Popularity in the small circle of smash speculation means nothing for overall popularity, or fame, or whatever. It only means what it is, that is popularity in a small subset of people.

Also, you might as well give us your definition of 'iconic', it seems quite approximative to me.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm not talking about fame. Popularity in the small circle of smash speculation means nothing for overall popularity, or fame, or whatever. It only means what it is, that is popularity in a small subset of people.
I'm already aware of that.

Also, you might as well give us your definition of 'iconic', it seems quite approximative to me.
I would define "iconic" as another word for "famous".

I see Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Youmu, Cirno, and Mayumi. Not to mention, Mayumi is the newest of the characters in that artwork.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Here are 5 Touhou Smash Ultimate mods that were made in 24 hours.

1) Nitori ROB
Made by @SolStickFigures on Twitter. Commissioned by me.

2) Okuu G&W
Made by me.

3) Sumireko G&W
Made by me.

4) Yukari G&W
Made by me.

5) Reimu ZSS
Made by Endersheep12345. Model by Nya. Commissioned by me.
Ahh, Reimu with a gun. Perfect! Those are some nice mods.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Here are 5 Touhou Smash Ultimate mods that were made in 24 hours.

1) Nitori ROB
Made by @SolStickFigures on Twitter. Commissioned by me.

2) Okuu G&W
Made by me.

3) Sumireko G&W
Made by me.

4) Yukari G&W
Made by me.

5) Reimu ZSS
Made by Endersheep12345. Model by Nya. Commissioned by me.
Those mods are badass and magnificent!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, I finally finished the character list. I'd have posted it earlier, but then I started on the Spirit Board, so that's done too. I'm in the home stretch here; All I need is to explain the Spirit Battle references and the music list.

Top Bottom