• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

zriL

Smash Journeyman
It's quite pointless to imagine "without budget constraint", in that case, just put everything in a random rotation, there is no reason not too. Because there is no right number to stop, it's a bit like the smash roster, no matter how many you have, you'll always feel some more deserve to be in.

In reality, I think 10-15 would be fine. For example, take the top 15 characters of the most recent Touhou popularity poll, which by the way has more votes than any smash fan poll ever :

Reimu Hakurei
Marisa Kirisame
Youmu Konpaku
Koishi Komeiji
Remilia Scarlet
Flandre Scarlet
Sakuya Izayoi
Satori Komeiji
Aya Shameimaru
Alice Margatroid
Fujiwara no Mokou
Yukari Yakumo
Sanae Kochiya
Tenshi Hinanawi
Yuyuko Saigyouji

I would have no issue with that list. I guess it's missing Cirno for the memes. Overall, these polls are surprisingly accurate, unlike the smash ones.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, how's this for my unrealistic cameo list? Note that for the sake of squeezing in as many as possible, groups are counted as one. Should I drop or add anyone, or is this good? And yes, I know some of these characters shouldn't be here, but Smash has never really cared about canonicity much, has it?
  1. Marisa Kirisame
  2. Mima
  3. Genjii
  4. Rumia
  5. Cirno
  6. Hong Meiling
  7. Patchouli and Koakuma
  8. Sakuya Izayoi and Remilia Scarlet
  9. Flandre Scarlet
  10. Alice Margatroid
  11. Youmu Konpaku and Yuyuko Saigyouji
  12. Chen, Ran Yakumo, and Yukari Yakumo
  13. Suika Ibuki
  14. Tewi Inaba and Reisen Udongein Inaba
  15. Eirin Yagokoro and Kaguya Houraisan
  16. Fujiwara no Mokou
  17. Aya Shameimaru and Hatate Himekaidou
  18. Yuuka Kazami
  19. Komachi Onozuka and Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu
  20. Nitori Kawashiro
  21. Sanae Kochiya, Kanako Yasaka, and Suwako Moriya
  22. Tenshi Hinanawa and Master Big Catfish
  23. Ichirin Kumoi, Shou Toramaru, and Byakuren Hijiri
  24. Nue Houjuu
  25. Soga no Tojiko, Mononobe no Futo, and Toyosatomimi no Miko
  26. Mamizou Futatsuiwa
  27. Hata no Kokoro
  28. Seija Kijin
  29. Shinmyoumaru Sukuna
  30. Raiko Horikawa
  31. Sumireko Usami
  32. Doremy Sweet
  33. Clownpiece, Junko, and Hecatia Lapislazuli
  34. Jo'on and Shion Yorigami
  35. Okina Matara
  36. Yachie Kicchou
  37. Mayumi Joutouguu and Keiki Haniyasushin
  38. Rinnosuke Morichika
  39. Sunny Milk, Lina Child, and Star Sapphire
  40. Kasen Ibaraki
  41. Kosuzu Motoori
  42. Maribel Hearn and Renko Usami
  43. Heida no Akyuu

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Welp, how's this for my unrealistic cameo list? Note that for the sake of squeezing in as many as possible, groups are counted as one. Should I drop or add anyone, or is this good? And yes, I know some of these characters shouldn't be here, but Smash has never really cared about canonicity much, has it?
  1. Marisa Kirisame
  2. Mima
  3. Genjii
  4. Rumia
  5. Cirno
  6. Hong Meiling
  7. Patchouli and Koakuma
  8. Sakuya Izayoi and Remilia Scarlet
  9. Flandre Scarlet
  10. Alice Margatroid
  11. Youmu Konpaku and Yuyuko Saigyouji
  12. Chen, Ran Yakumo, and Yukari Yakumo
  13. Suika Ibuki
  14. Tewi Inaba and Reisen Udongein Inaba
  15. Eirin Yagokoro and Kaguya Houraisan
  16. Fujiwara no Mokou
  17. Aya Shameimaru and Hatate Himekaidou
  18. Yuuka Kazami
  19. Komachi Onozuka and Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu
  20. Nitori Kawashiro
  21. Sanae Kochiya, Kanako Yasaka, and Suwako Moriya
  22. Tenshi Hinanawa and Master Big Catfish
  23. Ichirin Kumoi, Shou Toramaru, and Byakuren Hijiri
  24. Nue Houjuu
  25. Soga no Tojiko, Mononobe no Futo, and Toyosatomimi no Miko
  26. Mamizou Futatsuiwa
  27. Hata no Kokoro
  28. Seija Kijin
  29. Shinmyoumaru Sukuna
  30. Raiko Horikawa
  31. Sumireko Usami
  32. Doremy Sweet
  33. Clownpiece, Junko, and Hecatia Lapislazuli
  34. Jo'on and Shion Yorigami
  35. Okina Matara
  36. Yachie Kicchou
  37. Mayumi Joutouguu and Keiki Haniyasushin
  38. Rinnosuke Morichika
  39. Sunny Milk, Lina Child, and Star Sapphire
  40. Kasen Ibaraki
  41. Kosuzu Motoori
  42. Maribel Hearn and Renko Usami
  43. Heida no Akyuu
Hey, that's a good list right there!
1598057875938.png

gavtel

Smash Cadet
The Touhou Station 25-Hour Stream has been live for over an hour now so the YouTube part's ended. The rest of the stream is on Mildom (a Twitch-like streaming site) here: https://www.mildom.com/10922924

They're currently covering the news stuff, like collabs (includes a sake company collab), manga stuff, Flowering Night, etc. From the sounds of things (during the schedule part that was also on YouTube), the Touhou 17.5 info won't be until the Gensou Skydrift / Hisoutensoku competition part (2PM-3:59PM JST).

Edit: Also Luna Nights coming to Xbox One and Windows Store on September 3rd.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
The Touhou Station 25-Hour Stream has been live for over an hour now so the YouTube part's ended. The rest of the stream is on Mildom (a Twitch-like streaming site) here: https://www.mildom.com/10922924

They're currently covering the news stuff, like collabs (includes a sake company collab), manga stuff, Flowering Night, etc. From the sounds of things (during the schedule part that was also on YouTube), the Touhou 17.5 info won't be until the Gensou Skydrift / Hisoutensoku competition part (2PM-3:59PM JST).

Oh nice! I assume there's still no news on the Luna Nights switch port but that's fine, nice to see it having actual dates for release.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman

I'll be quite sad is Luna Nights ends up releasing up on Xbone before Switch, despite being announced a year ago.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
I'll be quite sad is Luna Nights ends up releasing up on Xbone before Switch, despite being announced a year ago.
It also just seems the slightest bit odd, from a business perspective.
Xboxes are a bit like Unicorns in Japan. If you want to go for both East and West, I would think that either PS4 or Switch would be the better choice.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

-Luna Nights on the Xbox
-Luna Nights still isn't on the Switch

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I would like to point out that there's also going to be a new Cirno boss included, but there's been no indication whether or not that will come to the Steam version.
pls come to the steam version cirno
Upon further inspection, it seems the main intent was putting Luna Nights in Windows, and they were able to put it on Xbox while they're at it, since it's all still Microsoft.

Doesn't make it hurt any less.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Here's Reimu's full moveset, plus her animations and alts, so we can replace the link to the old rough concept at the opening post.
Gimmicks
  • Flight-Pressing the shield button in the air will cause Reimu to hover in the air for a short amount of time, enough to travel the length of two Bowsers. Reimu can freely move and attack while flying, giving her great aerial mobiliy and versatility. However, due to the input for flight being shielding in the air, Reimu cannot air dodge.
  • Air Dash-Reimu is able to dash in the air. Unlike on the ground, the air dash is a quick burst forward rather than a continuous rush.
  • Grazing-When Reimu is dashing or dodging, she is in a Graze state. During this state, any projectiles that come in contact with her or the space around her will be destroyed. It should also be noted that the field around her will only destroy weak projectiles, while Reimu herself is needed to destroy stronger projectiles. Especially powerful projectiles like Robin's Thoron and Villager's Tree cannot be destroyed.
Ground Moves
  • Jab: A quick slap, followed by a kick, and then a quick gohei poke. Based on her 5A combo from Hisoutensoku.
    • Flurry Attack: A spray of Persuasion Needles, followed by Reimu sending her Yin-Yang Orbs forward to hit the opponent.
  • Foward Tilt: A long-range gohei poke. Based on her far 5A from Hisoutensoku.
  • Up Tilt: An upwards gohei swing.
  • Down Tilt: Reimu spins her gohei on the ground. Based on her 2A from Hisoutensoku.
  • Dash Attack: A sliding kick. Pressing the button again causes Reimu to transition into a flip kick. Based on her sliding kick from Highly Responsive to Prayers.
  • Forward Smash: A horizontal gohei swing. Based on her 6A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
  • Up Smash - Amulet Chain: Reimu puts her hands on the ground and creates a chain of amulets above her. Based on her 2C from Hisoutensoku.
  • Down Smash: Reimu creates a pair of borders around herself. Not very good offensively, and is mostly used for defense.
Air Moves
  • Neutral Aerial: Reimu's Yin-Yang Orbs orbit around her.
  • Forward Aerial - Youkai Buster: Reimu sends a trio of purple talismans forward. While weak, they are fast and travel a good distance, making them a cornerstone of Reimu's moveset.
  • Back Aerial: Reimu whirls around and swings her gohei behind her. Rather weak and slow, encouraging Reimu to be facing her opponent most of the time. Based on her jumping 5A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
  • Up Aerial: Reimu waves her gohei above her head thrice. It's decent damage, good range, and duration make it ideal for juggles.
  • Down Aerial: A downwards kick that makes Reimu travel a decent distance downwards, but isn't a true stall-then-fall move. Based on her 2A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
  • Air Dash Attack: A flying kick. Based on her jumping 6A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
Throws
  • Grab: Reimu traps the opponent between a pair of borders.
  • Pummel: Reimu sharply jabs the opponent with her gohei
  • Forward Throw: Reimu sticks a talisman on the opponent and kicks them away. Based on her grab animation from Antimony of Common Flowers.
  • Back Throw: Reimu transform her borders into gaps, warping her opponent behind her.
  • Up Throw: Reimu throws an amulet beneath the opponent. The amulet then explodes, sending them upwards. Based on her 2B from Hisoutensoku.
  • Down Throw: Reimu strikes the opponent on the head with her gohei. Based on the execution of the fortune teller in Forbidden Scrollery.
Specials
  • Neutral Special - Reimu sends out an amulet that homes in on opponents. Can be charged to make it faster, stronger, and home in more accurately. A great move for zoning.
  • Side Special - Persuasion Needle: Reimu throws out a red throwing needle. Spammable but slow, and best used for setups.
  • Up Special - Ascension Kick: A rising flip kick. Due to Reimu's outstanding aerial mobility, this is only a so-so recovery move. However, it is one of Reimu's few kill moves, making it vital to her moveset.
  • Down Special - Cautionary Border: Using her talismans, Reimu creates a border that travels forward. Anyone who touches it takes minor damage, and all attacks are blocked, making it great for stage control.
  • Final Smash - Fantasy Seal: Reimu creates a storm of multicolored orbs that home in on opponents, dealing damage all over the stage.
    • Alternative Final Smash - Fantasy Nature: If Reimu's opponent is at 70% or higher, she will send out a burst of energy and talismans, dealing massive damage in a wide radius and instantly killing anyone over 100%. Mystic Oriental Love Consultation (End of Century) from Hisoutensoku will start playing during the Final Smash, and will continue to do so during the results screen if the match is ended with this attack.
Animations
  • Entrance: Reimu flies in through a gap.
  • Idle Animation 1: Reimu boredly fiddles with her gohei.
  • Idle Animation 2: Reimu rests her gohei over her shoulders.
  • Up Taunt: Reimu faces the screen with her gohei over her shoulders, holding a pair of ofuda in her left hand. Based on her artwork from Perfect Memento in Strict Sense.
  • Side Taunt: Reimu lifts her gohei up and down on either side of her in a prayer motion.
  • Down Taunt: Reimu dusts off her hands and puts them on her hips. Based on one of her victory animations from the air fighters.
  • Victory Animations:
    • Reimu throws a talisman onto the screen, reading "No solicitors!" Based on one of her victory animations from the air fighters, which themselves reference one of her spell cards from Double Spoiler.
    • The camera zooms in on Reimu, who puts her gohei behind her back and smiles. Based on the title screen of Double Dealing Character.
    • Reimu sits down and opens her donation box, then frowns upon finding there is nothing in it.
    • If the match was finished with Fantasy Nature, Reimu uses Fantasy Seal, creating numerous multicolor orbs that orbit around her. During this, the camera zooms in on her eyes, which are glowing with energy.
  • Reimu's victory theme is a remix of the first few seconds of Theme of Eastern Story, the most recurring theme in the Touhou Project. This remix is made in ZUN's signature style, prominently featuring a violin, synthesizers, and trumpets, the latter of which is commonly referred to as "ZUNpets" by the fans.
  • When Kirby copies Reimu, he will gain her hair and signature ribbon, as well as her nuetral special, Hakurei Amulet.
  • Uniquely, whenever an attack whiffs Reimu or she Grazes a projectile, the Graze sound effect will play.
  • When Reimu is defeated, she will explode into a burst of Point Items.
Alternate Costumes
  1. Reimu's default design.
  2. A blue and white outfit with green hair, referencing fellow shrine maiden and friendly rival Sanae Kochiya. It also resembles her Player 2 color palette from the fighting games.
  3. A yellow and green outfit with light green hair. Based on the unconsciously-functioning satori Koishi Komeiji. Reimu's Yin-Yang Orbs become purple, referencing Koishi's closed third eye.
  4. A green outfit and white hair, referencing the half-phantom gardener Youmu Konpaku. Reimu's Yin-Yang Orbs become fully white, as a nod towards Youmu's phantom half.
  5. A purple and white outfit with blonde hair. References Reimu's mentor, the mysterious gap youkai Yukari Yakumo.
  6. A dull white and red outfit with white hair. Based off of the fire-wielding immortal Fujiwara no Mokou.
  7. Black and white with blonde hair. References the secondary protagonist of Touhou and Reimu's best friend, Marisa Kirisame, as well as the first boss of the Windows era, the darkness youkai Rumia.
  8. Reimu's PC-98 era outfit.

gavtel

Smash Cadet
So 17.5 was just shown a bit on the 25 27 hour stream. It appears you can play as Kanako?
Just checked it out myself. Kanako's both a boss and playable (we also get to hear the game's rendition of Cemetery of Onbashira and Suwa Foughten Field). The trailer also reveals Yamame as a boss as well. Here's an upload of the trailer to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U22jiT3sRTM

Edit: Apparently a web-demo for 17.5 will come out in mid-September while the game itself is planned to come out in November (though obviously with the virus situation, there may be delays).

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Kanako hasn't been in a game in a while, has she? Sanae must be feeling lonely, lol. Either way, very nice.
Yeah, I think I get what you're saying. I mean, the only prominent Moriya characters in the Touhou games I've seen are either Sanae or in one instance Suwako. Considering what's happened, Kanako being prominent in a game is refreshing.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well then, Kanako. Color me surprised. It's nice seeing all the older characters coming back after a long break.
17.5 in general kinda gives off a vibe much different from the mainline games. Makes sense, considering Twilight Frontier is a fangame developer.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm beginning to list all the cameos now, so be sure to check up on that. I'll make another post when I'm at a decent level.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Oh, those are the ones? I would hope they keep the crossover aspects, at least as DLC. That would be interesting.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Some of you might have heard it already but a few weeks ago FELT announced that their next album will be the last: Sad to see yet another talented circle leave the scene. Their music has always been very inspiring to me.

Any particular reason why? I'm assuming the image in the tweet is thier statement, but I can't read moon runes

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Any particular reason why? I'm assuming the image in the tweet is thier statement, but I can't read moon runes
As far as I can tell they're only talking about how grateful they are for all the support they've received throughout the years and that they're gonna make a Youtube channel to archive their works in that post.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, I've gotten the bios for the entire EoSD cast (Minus the mid-bosses, since I couldn't find any good official artwork for them. The Touhou wiki's a big help with this.
During my checking of the wiki for help, I also learned that Remilia is indirectly responsible for the spell card system's creation. Dunno if that's something I'm supposed to know about already, but it's a pretty interesting little tidbit.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So the details of the questionnaire taken during the popularity poll held on June 2020 has now been made public.
There are some interesting data, but as for Smash speculation, I think question 01, 03, and 07 are the important ones.

The result of the questionnaire for Poll 16 (June 6th - June 13th, 2020)
The result of the questionnaire for Poll 15 (January 27th - February 2nd, 2019)

Question 01 was asking your age. As you can see in the results, the number of votes increased quite a lot (10,163 -> 13,370) and the percentage of teenagers also increased while the other groups of different ages decreased. I think this shows that the franchise is really succeeding in its generational shift. So if Touhou gets a representation in Smash then the main target audience would be the teens.

03, your area. When you add up every answers says outside of Japan, Poll 16 had exactly 20.0% votes coming from foreign regions while Poll 15 had 15.84% votes. Most are coming from East Asia (10.17% -> 13.73%) . From North America (2.24% -> 2.36%), from Europe (1.54% -> 1.76%), so not much differences. The number of votes increased from 9.981 to 13.034. So I think the rise of Chinese market isn't something you can dismiss here.

07 was asking the when you find about Touhou. The highest percentage was 9.35%, around May 2014, between TH14 and TH14.3. When Poll 15 was held, the highest was 10.69%, around August 2008, between TH10 and TH11. Comparing the result of Poll 16 and Poll 15, the percentages are increasing after 2012 or 2013, starting from Symposium of Post-mysticism and then significantly gotten higher after TH14. Also, over 20% of people are gotten into Touhou after TH15. I think this result does match up with the result of Question 01.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
In the west, people might still be able to recognize Reimu, but they probably wouldn't recognize her by her name. But if I mentioned "The girl from Touhou", or "The Touhou girl" western fans might be able to know who she is.
If I showed someone an image of Reimu, they would probably recognize her, but I doubt anyone would be able to name her by her official name.

Last edited:
Top Bottom