• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Well then. This would certainly be an... Interesting scenario.
Sakurai: We wanted to give Reimu an hitbox similar to the one in the mainline Touhuo games, but we did not want her to have most of her body havnig no hitbox, so we made her smaller than Pichu. Sadly, this ended up... messing up her face a little.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
While I want Reimu to be playable, I'm intrigued by the fact that Reimu is one of the few 3rd party characters who is often mistaken to be obscure. More fans have wanted Reimu to be unplayable than playable due to an unfortunate misconception stating that "Touhou is obscure", when Touhou has actually been one of the most known/iconic indie game franchises since the mid 2000s. This phenomenon has also occurred with Terry and Kyo (King of Fighters), along with Haruka (The Idolmaster).

I'm not upset, but why do people mistakenly think that Touhou is obscure, when it's actually famous?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While I want Reimu to be playable, I'm intrigued by the fact that Reimu is one of the few 3rd party characters who is often mistaken to be obscure. More fans have wanted Reimu to be unplayable than playable due to an unfortunate misconception stating that "Touhou is obscure", when Touhou has actually been one of the most known/iconic indie game franchises since the mid 2000s. This phenomenon has also occurred with Terry and Kyo (King of Fighters), along with Haruka (The Idolmaster).

I'm not upset, but why do people mistakenly think that Touhou is obscure, when it's actually famous?
Touhou's in a weird spot. It's big and influential, but that popularity is A: Mostly concentrated in Japan, and B: Partially comes from the fanworks themselves. It's also a major pillar of the indie and doujin scenes, which are considered pretty niche or ignored if they're not at least around the level of A Hat In Time or Hollow Knight, and even then they're usually ignored by the general audience. There's also the fact that it's a bullet hell game, which itself is pretty niche (Minus Undertale, which is also an RPG).
Touhou is also not as well known to Nintendo audiences, so they might not realize how big it is. Many people probably just heard of it somewhere a couple years ago and based it off of that. I've seen a misconception that Touhou is Japan-exclusive or only has one localized game, when there's actually twelve official games on Steam now, and they're only mostly untranslated because the fans will make their own translation in a couple days anyways.

Long story short, Touhou's internet circles don't interlap with Nintendo/Smash circles and/or English-speaking circles as much as some other games, and so not everyone realizes how big it is.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
The problem is, outside of anecdotes and examples, there's no real proof to quantify Touhou's popularity. There's no real way to track sales, so it's hard to estimate the size of the playerbase, to say nothing of secondary fans. And then you have to do that going back 15-20 years?

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Consciously, I agree, the notion that Touhou is obscure can be vexing. But I think it's attributed to the fact that Touhou licensing is looser than spaghetti noodles in olive oil, which leads there to being a metric ton of content that aren't games. Why do you think there's a lot of doujin content, huh?

But the important thing to note here is that I believe Touhou is one of those franchises where you've seen a lot of things about it, but you have no idea where it's from until you run into it. You probably wouldn't know it was Touhou until someone had it pointed out to you. Like, imagine you're playing League of Legends, right? And you purchase an item called Youmuu's Ghostblade. Much later on in life, you run into somebody saying Youmuu's Ghostblade is a reference to Youmu Konpaku and the realization hits you like a truck. For me, I had no idea who Patchouli Knowledge is, but I recognized her based on her lavender clothes and purple hair.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Consciously, I agree, the notion that Touhou is obscure can be vexing. But I think it's attributed to the fact that Touhou licensing is looser than spaghetti noodles in olive oil, which leads there to being a metric ton of content that aren't games. Why do you think there's a lot of doujin content, huh?

But the important thing to note here is that I believe Touhou is one of those franchises where you've seen a lot of things about it, but you have no idea where it's from until you run into it. You probably wouldn't know it was Touhou until someone had it pointed out to you. Like, imagine you're playing League of Legends, right? And you purchase an item called Youmuu's Ghostblade. Much later on in life, you run into somebody saying Youmuu's Ghostblade is a reference to Youmu Konpaku and the realization hits you like a truck. For me, I had no idea who Patchouli Knowledge is, but I recognized her based on her lavender clothes and purple hair.
So kinda like this situation?
As for me, I was actually surprisingly detached from Touhou until recently. For the longest time, all I knew about it was GaMetal did a cover of Nuclear Fusion and a mashup of the latter with Bagan's theme from Super Godzilla (Toho and Touhou, huh...). I first got into it because RichaadEB did a cover of Bad Apple, followed by me finding out he did and entire album of it, and down the rabbit hole I went.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Smash hasn't really had a history of aligning announcement/release dates with anything in particular (at least on purpose), but it's still worth noting that Touhou's anniversary is just around the corner, and we're expecting FP7 to be announced relatively soon. If she was indeed in, now's the time to reveal her. It's just fitting.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So kinda like this situation?
As for me, I was actually surprisingly detached from Touhou until recently. For the longest time, all I knew about it was GaMetal did a cover of Nuclear Fusion and a mashup of the latter with Bagan's theme from Super Godzilla (Toho and Touhou, huh...). I first got into it because RichaadEB did a cover of Bad Apple, followed by me finding out he did and entire album of it, and down the rabbit hole I went.
Now I'm just gonna imagine how many people in the Smash community are gonna realize they've been Touhou fans this entire time and didn't know it if Reimu gets revealed. It's gonna be like this:

Day of reveal: "What!? I never asked for Reimu, this reveal sucks! Boo! I want a refund, Suck-urai!"
Hour 1 after the reveal: "I need to watch Cirno's Perfect Math Class so I can calm myself down after that bullcrap reveal...wait...is that Reimu???"
Hour 2 after the reveal: "Right...I'll just go and listen to Bad Apple then...hold the hell up, there's Reimu again!!!"
Hour 3 after the reveal: "Okay...third time has to be the charm here, I'll just watch that Rampaging Sakuya video-OH SONUVA-!!! Okay, that's it! I'm getting to the bottom of this! Why the heck is Reimu popping up in everything now?! Am I crazy!?"
Hour 4 after the reveal: "Wow...that's a lot of Touhou...Reimu is everywhere..."
Hour 5 after the reveal: "*Crying tears of paranoia* What the hell has been my life up to this point...? Everything I've ever grown up with has been Touhou..."
Hour 6 after the reveal: "*Tears starting to dry up* You know what...I guess I'll try and take a better look at this "Touhou" thing..."
Hour 7 after the reveal: "Huh. That was an eventful trip. Touhou is a very interesting world."
Hour 8 after the reveal: "You know what? OK. I'm legitimately fine with Reimu being in Smash Bros now. Looking forward to playing as her."

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Smash hasn't really had a history of aligning announcement/release dates with anything in particular (at least on purpose), but it's still worth noting that Touhou's anniversary is just around the corner, and we're expecting FP7 to be announced relatively soon. If she was indeed in, now's the time to reveal her. It's just fitting.
I think a while back I saw someone say it would be fitting to reveal her in March, since she's usually associated with Spring. Of course, this was before the ARMS guessing game was a thing. It'd be cool if she really did release in March, but I'm not sure she'd be pushed all the way back to CP10 or whoever we'll be on in Spring just for that.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
tbh, you can justify a Reimu reveal anytime of year. If she comes, she'll come when she's done, no sooner or later.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I don't think I heard anyone say Spirit Board but here is a Reimu Spirit Board I Made : )

I feel like I struck a good balance between popular and relevant
tohu board.png

tohu board2.png

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think I heard anyone say Spirit Board but here is a Reimu Spirit Board I Made : )

I approve of the line up but I take issue with many of the rankings, namely Cirno being three-star without an enhancement, Sanae and Alice being one-star, and Yukari being a mere two-star.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I approve of the line up but I take issue with many of the rankings, namely Cirno being three-star without an enhancement Sanae and Alice being one-star, and Yukari being a mere two-star.
Spirit balancing is not really my forte but I will admit I could have thought about it a bit more.

Paraster

Smash Lord

Not bad. Somewhat different than other Spirit Board (two Legends instead of one and more spirits overall), but they're not so large that I couldn't see this happening. (Marisa being a primary in particular could be a clever way to circumvent the "one Legend support per board" rule). The Scarlet Sisters being grouped together is also an interesting idea.

I'm curious: what would Utsuho's unique skill be?

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice

Not to sound condescending, but this falls way more to the side of "popular" than "relevant". There's way more to Touhou than just the first six windows games.

Anyway, I already posted it on the previous page, but might as well post my one again.
Touhou Spirits.png
The main theme of this board is characters that have had a big impact on the series, either due to just appearing a lot, or being important to the lore (or both). As a result, it primarily features characters who've experienced a main character role in at least one game or manga.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We're posting Spirit Board again> Might as well repost mine,
Well, I've set up who I think would happen for the Spirit Board.
  1. Marisa
  2. Sakuya
  3. Youmu (Represents Yuyuko in her Spirit Battle)
  4. Sanae (Represents Kanako and Suwako)
  5. Aya
  6. Cirno
  7. Reisen (Represents Kaguya, Eirin, and the Moon Rabbits?)
  8. Sumeriko
  9. Remilia (Represents the rest of SDM)
  10. Alice
  11. Yukari (Represents Chen and Ran)
If we can go a bit further, I'd also add:
  1. Nitori
  2. Mima
  3. Mokou
  4. Koishi (Represents Satori, Orin and Utsuho?)
  5. Flandre
I was aiming for the most recurring playable characters here. For the extra spirits, I went for the more popular characters (And Nitori, who seems like she pops up a fair bit)
I'm a bit worried the more recent games don't get enough representation, but it's hard choosing with such a big cast. If I could go beyond the limit, I'd at least add Byakuren, Miko, and Seija. Maybe give Satori her own Spirit, to give Orin and Utsuho some space instead of being crammed into Koishi's battle.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Touhou's in a weird spot. It's big and influential, but that popularity is A: Mostly concentrated in Japan, and B: Partially comes from the fanworks themselves. It's also a major pillar of the indie and doujin scenes, which are considered pretty niche or ignored if they're not at least around the level of A Hat In Time or Hollow Knight, and even then they're usually ignored by the general audience. There's also the fact that it's a bullet hell game, which itself is pretty niche (Minus Undertale, which is also an RPG).
Not to mention, Touhou has also been one of the very first indie game franchises to cultivate fame. Touhou debuted in 1997, but it didn't became famous/iconic until the mid 2000s.

Touhou is also not as well known to Nintendo audiences, so they might not realize how big it is. Many people probably just heard of it somewhere a couple years ago and based it off of that. I've seen a misconception that Touhou is Japan-exclusive or only has one localized game, when there's actually twelve official games on Steam now, and they're only mostly untranslated because the fans will make their own translation in a couple days anyways.
When I first heard of Touhou, I initially thought it was obscure along the lines of Sakura Wars and Fatal Frame, but nope Touhou has been famous, so Reimu still deserves to be playable.

Now I'm just gonna imagine how many people in the Smash community are gonna realize they've been Touhou fans this entire time and didn't know it if Reimu gets revealed. It's gonna be like this:

Day of reveal: "What!? I never asked for Reimu, this reveal sucks! Boo! I want a refund, Suck-urai!"
Hour 1 after the reveal: "I need to watch Cirno's Perfect Math Class so I can calm myself down after that bullcrap reveal...wait...is that Reimu???"
Hour 2 after the reveal: "Right...I'll just go and listen to Bad Apple then...hold the hell up, there's Reimu again!!!"
Hour 3 after the reveal: "Okay...third time has to be the charm here, I'll just watch that Rampaging Sakuya video-OH SONUVA-!!! Okay, that's it! I'm getting to the bottom of this! Why the heck is Reimu popping up in everything now?! Am I crazy!?"
Hour 4 after the reveal: "Wow...that's a lot of Touhou...Reimu is everywhere..."
Hour 5 after the reveal: "*Crying tears of paranoia* What the hell has been my life up to this point...? Everything I've ever grown up with has been Touhou..."
Hour 6 after the reveal: "*Tears starting to dry up* You know what...I guess I'll try and take a better look at this "Touhou" thing..."
Hour 7 after the reveal: "Huh. That was an eventful trip. Touhou is a very interesting world."
Hour 8 after the reveal: "You know what? OK. I'm legitimately fine with Reimu being in Smash Bros now. Looking forward to playing as her."
If Reimu makes it in, most fans will be upset just because Touhou is often mistaken as obscure, which explains why most fans would want Reimu to be an assist trophy instead of a playable character. I would be sad to see Terry (King of Fighters) and Reimu be demoted to assist trophies and mii costumes in Smash 6 just because of that aforementioned misconception.

If someone told me that they wanted Reimu to be unplayable, I'd tell them "I'd recommend you to play the Touhou series, if you do so, you will deeply understand why Reimu certainly merits to be playable. You will also get to know her better as well"

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If someone told me that they wanted Reimu to be unplayable, I'd tell them "I'd recommend you to play the Touhou series, if you do so, you will deeply understand why Reimu certainly merits to be playable. You will also get to know her better as well"
Good luck getting them to do that. They'll probably give up about halfway through.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Good luck getting them to do that. They'll probably give up about halfway through.
I would recommend them to play the Touhou fighting games instead. Because the mainline Touhou games are perfect for wasting time on.

Touhou would certainly be easier if you were playing as Megaman, Samus or Kirby, because they can take multiple hits.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Reimu never seemed as much of a controversial pick as you make it out to me. Seen an overwhelming amount of support for her with only very small numbers of naysayers, especially during the last few months.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Reimu never seemed as much of a controversial pick as you make it out to me. Seen an overwhelming amount of support for her with only very small numbers of naysayers, especially during the last few months.
Well, while I would enjoy Reimu's inclusion, I know that millions of fans are going to hate her inclusion, because there are not many people who are aware of how iconic Touhou is. Even in the East, very few people are aware of how iconic Touhou is.

I know that although we can't have Goku (Dragon Ball) or Spongebob get in as playable characters, but we can still have Bomberman and/or Crash Bandicoot without cutting Reimu and/or Terry (King of Fighters).

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
She's mostly ignored due to lack of familiarity in our circles, kinda like Hero and Terry. There will be people complaining "Literally who?" and "Nobody wanted this!!!", but that goes for everyone.

It's also partially since Reimu isn't requested as much, due to the aforementioned relative obscurity. With obscure picks like Earthworm Jim and Klonoa, you won't get much response since barely anyone knows them. As you go up to list of popularity, you'll start getting more resistance, so when you get to popular picks like Bandana Dee and Rex people have some issues with them. And then there's Geno, who's highly contentious because of the disparity between hardcore and casual popularity. It's probably for the best that Reimu isn't very high up the popularity charts, or she'll get a lot of haters with it.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
She's mostly ignored due to lack of familiarity in our circles, kinda like Hero and Terry. There will be people complaining "Literally who?" and "Nobody wanted this!!!", but that goes for everyone.
Many people don't know how iconic Touhou or Persona are, which kinda bugs me.

It's also partially since Reimu isn't requested as much, due to the aforementioned relative obscurity. With obscure picks like Earthworm Jim and Klonoa, you won't get much response since barely anyone knows them. As you go up to list of popularity, you'll start getting more resistance, so when you get to popular picks like Bandana Dee and Rex people have some issues with them. And then there's Geno, who's highly contentious because of the disparity between hardcore and casual popularity. It's probably for the best that Reimu isn't very high up the popularity charts, or she'll get a lot of haters with it.
Reimu is nowhere as obscure as Earthworm Jim or Klonoa.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I would even say that Reimu isn't more obscure than Terry if you consider any person and not just gamers. Reimu has a lot of non-gaming aura that very few characters have.
Non-gaming popularity is a bit of a double-edged sword because that means the current target audience of Smash wouldn't want her as much, but that also means she is a good game seller, or even console seller. As a Touhou fan, if I didn't already own a Switch + Smash and Reimu is revealed, it would be an instant Switch buy without any hesitation.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Many people don't know how iconic Touhou or Persona are, which kinda bugs me.
Well, we got a Persona rep already. Now everyone wants his game on the Switch. I'm sure most people would be accepting of Reimu if she was announced; Most of the complaints for Joker seem to be a vocal minority.
I'm well aware of that. They were just example for ignored or overlooked characters that wouldn't have much resistance because people wouldn't know about them in the first place. Reimu's somewhere in the middle in terms of popularity.
I would even say that Reimu isn't more obscure than Terry if you consider any person and not just gamers. Reimu has a lot of non-gaming aura that very few characters have.
Non-gaming popularity is a bit of a double-edged sword because that means the current target audience of Smash wouldn't want her as much, but that also means she is a good game seller, or even console seller. As a Touhou fan, if I didn't already own a Switch + Smash and Reimu is revealed, it would be an instant Switch buy without any hesitation.
On that note, Touhou got a crossover with Hello Kitty (Y'know, the second most profitable franchise period) because of Touhou's growing popularity with children. I could see Reimu being a character chosen to draw in different demographics to Smash, since Touhou's circles don't overlap with the Smash/Nintendo fanbases as much.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
On that note, Touhou got a crossover with Hello Kitty (Y'know, the second most profitable franchise period) because of Touhou's growing popularity with children. I could see Reimu being a character chosen to draw in different demographics to Smash, since Touhou's circles don't overlap with the Smash/Nintendo fanbases as much.
Hello kitty's audience is definitely something. Though I'd say Smash is already a game that target's children pretty well, it's more a boys thing, while Touhou is very popular with girls.
But let's not forget the demographic that could be the most important, the chinese audience. I suppose Smash is already pretty well known in China but I'm not sure if the current casting is very appealing to chinese gamers. And we know that Touhou is also decently popular in China.
In the end, that's a lot of different new demographics that Reimu could target, and I'm not sure if any other candidate could do it as well as Reimu.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Though, I do wonder how the stage and the background will appear with the chaotic nature of the Touhou universe?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Reimu, Kyo (King of Fighters) and Snake (Metal Gear) are all 10 times more iconic than Terry (King of Fighters), but they aren't as iconic as iconic as Crash Bandicoot, Bomberman, or Arle (Puyo Puyo) though.

Well, we got a Persona rep already. Now everyone wants his game on the Switch. I'm sure most people would be accepting of Reimu if she was announced; Most of the complaints for Joker seem to be a vocal minority.
I'm currently fine with Ren's (Persona's) inclusion, but I would've preferred Yu (Persona) instead. Much like Reimu, not many people want Ren or Yu (Persona) to be playable due to a similar misconception that "Persona is obscure", which isn't true.

I'm well aware of that. They were just example for ignored or overlooked characters that wouldn't have much resistance because people wouldn't know about them in the first place. Reimu's somewhere in the middle in terms of popularity.
Earthworm Jim and Klonoa are perfect examples of truly obscure 3rd party characters. Other examples include, Quote (Cave Story), Pulseman, Spiritia (Rosenkrezstilette), Beck (Mighty no. 9), Lilac (Freedom Planet), and so on. On the other hand, Reimu and Bill (Contra) are not examples, they may be less iconic than dozens of other 3rd party characters, but not truly obscure.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm a huge fan of Touhou, but IMO it truly is obscure here in the West. If you frequent somewhere steeped in Japanese otaku culture like 4chan, you'll be exposed to it, but other than that you probably haven't been exposed to it now that the peak meme era is over. It still has enough of a Western fanbase to get hype for a Touhou rep's inclusion going, of course, as we've seen recently.

The era of Bad Apple/etc is a ways behind us now, and the average current Smash fan is a Zoomer who might have been a bit too young to have experienced the Touhou Western meme peak.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm a huge fan of Touhou, but IMO it truly is obscure here in the West. If you frequent somewhere steeped in Japanese otaku culture like 4chan, you'll be exposed to it, but other than that you probably haven't been exposed to it now that the peak meme era is over. It still has enough of a Western fanbase to get hype for a Touhou rep's inclusion going, of course, as we've seen recently.
In the west, people might still be able to recognize Reimu, but they probably wouldn't recognize her by her name. But if I mentioned "The girl from Touhou", or "The Touhou girl" western fans might be able to know who she is.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Though, I do wonder how the stage and the background will appear with the chaotic nature of the Touhou universe?
I have a stage idea that's more of a reference to my favorite stage from my favorite Touhou game.

It'd be the Bamboo Forest of the Lost at night (like Imperishable Night's 4th stage). The stage would move to simulate a high speed flight through the forest with a large full moon in the sky illuminating the battlefield. The stage would alternate between going forward at a high speed, showing the path ahead in the background with the moon looming overhead and rotating the whole stage to the side to get a view of the bamboo speeding by, with maybe some lanterns on the ground speeding past for a secondary source of light. While facing forward, the stage's bottom drops off, but once the stage is rotated to face the side of the path, it drops close enough to the ground so that there's a floor, though the stage is moving so quickly that anyone who touches it and doesn't jump immediately will get KO'd (like Big Blue). Also when the stage is rotated, there's a chance fairies will fly out of the forest alongside the battlefield and fire small danmaku patterns at the fighters. They won't deal much damage and the fairies can be destroyed with an attack, but they'd be annoying to deal with. Some other characters might also appear and fly alongside the stage for a short amount of time, such as Marisa, Alice, Remilia, Sakuya, Youmu, Yuyuko, Reisen, Mokou, and Yukari.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
In the west, people might still be able to recognize Reimu, but they probably wouldn't recognize her by her name. But if I mentioned "The girl from Touhou", or "The Touhou girl" western fans might be able to know who she is.
Kinda reminds me of this video in particular, though what you're referring to probably isn't as extreme as this. You may need to turn on subtitles for this one, though.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Kinda reminds me of this video in particular, though what you're referring to probably isn't as extreme as this. You may need to turn on subtitles for this one, though.

Could you please explain this to me? How does my statement above remind you of that video above?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
For me, you'd got to have the Hakurei Shrine as the stage. It's the focal point of the entire setting and lends itself to a stage very nicely. You could capture the sense of chaos through a bunch of stage hazard cameos and/or danmaku fights in the background.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Could you please explain this to me? How does my statement above remind you of that video above?
This is a little manzai (Japanese comedy routine) about Yukari knowing almost everything about Reimu...except her name. Again, what you've said is probably not as extreme as in the video, but I understand your point.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
This is a little thing about Yukari knowing almost everything about Reimu...except her name. Again, probably not as extreme as in the video, but I understand your point.
Okay, I obviously understand now. Plentiful western fans may recognize Reimu, but most fans would still want Reimu to be an assist trophy and/or mii costume instead of a playable character because of the aforementioned misconception.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For me, you'd got to have the Hakurei Shrine as the stage. It's the focal point of the entire setting and lends itself to a stage very nicely. You could capture the sense of chaos through a bunch of stage hazard cameos and/or danmaku fights in the background.
I imagined the Hakurei Shrine as a fairly standard layout, taking place outside the shrine, which could serve as either an extra platform or a background setpiece. Of course, it would have a ton of cameos, much like in Hopeless Masquerade. It would also have Yin-Yang Orbs or something similar forming into platforms, with the positions all being based on Reimu's Option formations, possibly around the shrine if it's a platform as well. Still, stage hazard cameos would work too.

Top Bottom