• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure about the artists.

I didn't even know that was a thing, but now I'm sad it was discontinued.
Not surprised you've never heard of it. The game got its last update in 2014 and even while it was still being worked on not many people knew about it.
However even though the game is not finished you should still be able to download the demo somewhere on the creator's blog.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Do we have new online icons for when DLC comes out? Because if we get ones for Touhou, I think I know what we'll all be using.
EDIT: Dangit image won't load. Here's the link.
That would be one of the greatest thing to ever happen in video game history, even if we would sadly only get icones for Reimu, Marisa, Yukari, and the Yin-Yang orb in an optimistic scenario.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
All of the Fighting Games were made by Tasofro. The artists are either alphes (IaMP-Soku) or Moe Harukawa (HM-AoCF).
Slight correction; Harukawa only did the art for ULiL and AoCF. HM was done by Alphes as well

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I think I didn't post this here before but these are the latest DL's posts. He hasn't appeared since then.

369 名無しさん祈祷中・・・ (ドコグロ MM5f-w9ew [119.241.244.168]) sage 2020/06/05(金) 18:44:06.45 ID:fyDrfk7FM
ぶっちゃけると霊夢のアレと憑依華Switchは神のお告げでは5月に来るって聞いてたんだけど
どうなったんだ?流石に中止じゃないだろうけど
6/6のインディーの放送に合わせてに変更された?
To tell the truth, I've been told by the gods that that Reimu deal and the AoCF Switch were coming in May but what's going on? I don't believe they've been canceled though.
They changed their plans to coincide with 6/6 Indies broadcast?

370 名無し (ワッチョイW cfa4-ZGHs [153.145.141.111]) sage 2020/06/05(金) 19:33:28.65 ID:qSZxBGDs0
霊夢のアレって何よ?
What's that Reimu deal?

373 名無しさん祈祷中・・・ (ドコグロ MM5f-w9ew [119.241.244.168]) sage 2020/06/05(金) 19:46:38.64 ID:fyDrfk7FM
>>370
これ
This.

And today we finally got the reveal.
https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000006.000061831.html

So that's that.
Apparently, he was told that this would happen in May.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think I didn't post this here before but these are the latest DL's posts. He hasn't appeared since then.

369 名無しさん祈祷中・・・ (ドコグロ MM5f-w9ew [119.241.244.168]) sage 2020/06/05(金) 18:44:06.45 ID:fyDrfk7FM
ぶっちゃけると霊夢のアレと憑依華Switchは神のお告げでは5月に来るって聞いてたんだけど
どうなったんだ?流石に中止じゃないだろうけど
6/6のインディーの放送に合わせてに変更された?
To tell the truth, I've been told by the gods that that Reimu deal and the AoCF Switch were coming in May but what's going on? I don't believe they've been canceled though.
They changed their plans to coincide with 6/6 Indies broadcast?

370 名無し (ワッチョイW cfa4-ZGHs [153.145.141.111]) sage 2020/06/05(金) 19:33:28.65 ID:qSZxBGDs0
霊夢のアレって何よ?
What's that Reimu deal?

373 名無しさん祈祷中・・・ (ドコグロ MM5f-w9ew [119.241.244.168]) sage 2020/06/05(金) 19:46:38.64 ID:fyDrfk7FM
>>370
これ
This.

And today we finally got the reveal.

So that's that.
Apparently, he was told that this would happen in May.
Welp, that's the end of it. My hopes sorta began to decline after it dragged on and on. I still think Reimu has a good chance, but it doesn't look like Doujin "Leak" was an actual leak.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Well, Touhou x Hello Kitty isn't quite the crossover I was hoping for, but this seems Really big. Like, I'm not sure if people realize how big Hello Kitty is. It's the second highest grossing media franchise, behind Pokemon but ahead of Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse and Star Wars.
1595012464564.png

I know Hello Kitty crosses over with a lot, but still...

In what capacity is this crossover? Is it just plushies and other merchandise? Or something else?

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Welp, that's the end of it. My hopes sorta began to decline after it dragged on and on. I still think Reimu has a good chance, but it doesn't look like Doujin "Leak" was an actual leak.
Correct, the doujin leak is a timeline of events that occurred within the past couple years. The timing of said events do not generally contradict each other instead they support the possibility of Reimu or Touhou getting a fighter in ultimate, and they line up with the development process for Ultimate's fighter DLC.

I am the person who created and updates this slideshow as new developments happen. There is a lot more information than the original did back in October. I included more things about the general development process and objectives stated by Sakurai to help clarify what we can expect if Reimu is revealed as a fighter. Other stuff added were future events where Reimu may be revealed regardless how likely it will be or not. Suggestions to help improve it are always welcome as it will continue to be updated until either the development for Ultimate ends or Touhou gets a fighter rep, whichever happens first.

I just updated it today with new information regarding the Hello Kitty crossover and changed some past information that was unclear at the time I last updated it a couple months ago.

As proof this is the original post when I announced it in the Reimu for Smash discord. Unedited taken directly from the chat
unknown (2).png

Last edited:

Narp

Smash Cadet
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure about the artists.
Yeah, Tasofro developed all of them, and had some of their own members like Alphes do the portrait and pixel art for the first three games. Alphes was featured again for illustrations in Hopeless Masquerade, the fourth one, before being succeeded by Moe Harukawa on the fifth, ULIL, and the sixth, AOCF.

This freelancer (probably) Migel started doing some (or all?) of the character sprites starting with HM, and returned for the last two. I got curious and looked up the games' credits and found around 10 artists credited for character graphics, so I'm not really sure who did what.

Anyway, their pixel art animations are gorgeous.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, going back to the topic of whether they'll base Reimu off of the fighting game art or ZUN art, I think I have a little solution: use a ZUN game design from just one specific game.

Why? Because if you look at Reimu's design from WBaWC today, it's a pretty good imo, but PoFV has arguably the cleanest and most professional-looking ZUN-only artwork out of all the Touhou games while still being a totally unique look in comparison to other anime art style designs like the Heroes with Toriyama. I mean, would you rather have Reimu look like this?

1595093089398.png

Or this?
1595093139007.png

Two distinct styles considering the separate times of release, yeah, but in my opinion, Phantasmagoria of Flower View's design seems like the highest quality to take it from when compared to the rest. Not to say that the rest of the Reimu designs are bad, far from it, just that there's one specific one that's not only the same artist but also the most likely candidate for usage in whatever design Reimu uses.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
You know, going back to the topic of whether they'll base Reimu off of the fighting game art or ZUN art, I think I have a little solution: use a ZUN game design from just one specific game.

Why? Because if you look at Reimu's design from WBaWC today, it's a pretty good imo, but PoFV has arguably the cleanest and most professional-looking ZUN-only artwork out of all the Touhou games while still being a totally unique look in comparison to other anime art style designs like the Heroes with Toriyama. I mean, would you rather have Reimu look like this?

View attachment 279039
Or this?
View attachment 279040

Two distinct styles considering the separate times of release, yeah, but in my opinion, Phantasmagoria of Flower View's design seems like the highest quality to take it from when compared to the rest. Not to say that the rest of the Reimu designs are bad, far from it, just that there's one specific one that's not only the same artist but also the most likely candidate for usage in whatever design Reimu uses.
I think the reason why the PoFV portrait is catching your eye is 1) the more complex shading and 2) the more pastel texture of the colors; the WBaWC color looks far more digital by comparison.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

View attachment 279039
Or this?
View attachment 279040

It'll probably be a composite or original design in terms of little details, kinda like how Marth and Wolf have unique designs and Richter takes ques from all over the series.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie, both of those designs are quite bad when compared to the standard Smash character model design has reached in this day & age. ZUN just can't into anatomy in either a stylized or realistic sense, and it shows. If they wanted to remain faithful to the ZUN look, I'd much rather that they do a Reimu whose proportions approximate the ZUN proportions without actually adhering strictly to ZUN's artstyle. The man's a programmer and a composer, not an artist.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I'm still of the opinion that the best possible Reimu design they could go with would be a 3D interpretation of her spritework in the aerial fighters.
Reimu Idle.gif

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
I'm still of the opinion that the best possible Reimu design they could go with would be a 3D interpretation of her spritework in the aerial fighters.
View attachment 279187
This reminds me of Cloud, whose design in Smash are not really like his in original game (3D model was actually with purple outfit)
thus it may not be a big deal of Reimu using her modern design in Smash

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
View attachment 279187
I think that this would translate the best as well! Especially since Reimu is going to be a "literally who" to most Western audiences & will have to win them over on the strength of her character design and moveset, having a more generally visually appealing design is probably wiser.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
View attachment 279187
Looking at this...oh yeah, that'll certainly work too. It looks nice and in the context of standard Smash model design, it still screams Touhou. The only issue I have is that it's not as visually distinct an anime design as say, the Heroes, but that's a very relatively minor issue to me.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, I've set up who I think would happen for the Spirit Board.
  1. Marisa
  2. Sakuya
  3. Youmu (Represents Yuyuko in her Spirit Battle)
  4. Sanae (Represents Kanako and Suwako)
  5. Aya
  6. Cirno
  7. Reisen (Represents Kaguya, Eirin, and the Moon Rabbits?)
  8. Sumeriko
  9. Remilia (Represents the rest of SDM)
  10. Alice
  11. Yukari (Represents Chen and Ran)
If we can go a bit further, I'd also add:
  1. Nitori
  2. Mima
  3. Mokou
  4. Koishi (Represents Satori, Orin and Utsuho?)
  5. Flandre
I was aiming for the most recurring playable characters here. For the extra spirits, I went for the more popular characters (And Nitori, who seems like she pops up a fair bit)

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
  1. Marisa
  2. Sakuya
  5. Aya
  6. Cirno
  8. Sumeriko
  10. Alice
  1. Nitori
  2. Mima
  3. Mokou
  5. Flandre
I was aiming for the most recurring playable characters here. For the extra spirits, I went for the more popular characters (And Nitori, who seems like she pops up a fair bit)
That's a pretty good list. Since you mentioned her in it, just a couple days ago I was thinking that it'd be awesome if they had a Sumireko spirit battle, if only because the actual arena you fight her on in ULiL is really close to Fourside, if they add Last Occultism as a track too it'd be perfect.

Here's them side by side for reference:
sumireko.jpg

Also, after thinking about it for a bit I agree that Reimu's best look would be the one from the modern fighters. It'd fit right in, as much I like the ZUN art proper. Maybe that could be the Fighter Spirit.:nifty:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
That's a pretty good list. Since you mentioned her in it, just a couple days ago I was thinking that it'd be awesome if they had a Sumireko spirit battle, if only because the actual arena you fight her on in ULiL is really close to Fourside, if they add Last Occultism as a track too it'd be perfect.

View attachment 279246

Also, after thinking about it for a bit I agree that Reimu's best look would be the one from the modern fighters. It'd fit right in, as much I like the ZUN art proper. Maybe that could be the Fighter Spirit.:nifty:
I was thinking about this as well. Fourside would also be a good stage for Mayumi's and Keiki's spirit battle.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

View attachment 279246

Yeah, Last Occultism is the most likely ULiL song to be added, though I could also see Battlefield of the Flower Threshold and Fair Scramble as well if we got a Terry situation.
I did consider a Seija Spirit since she as the protagonist of ISC, but I decided against it because that was a one-time occurrence and she's not a commonly recurring character. I also considered battles for Utsuho, Byakuren, Miko, Shinmyoumaru, and Clownpiece to represent 11 through 15, but there wasn't enough room and I was aiming for a more concise and realistic board.

Paraster

Smash Lord
  1. Marisa
  2. Sakuya
  5. Aya
  6. Cirno
  8. Sumeriko
  10. Alice
  1. Nitori
  2. Mima
  3. Mokou
  5. Flandre
I'm curious: going by the pattern of "every DLC Spirit Board has one Legend spirit that has an exclusive skill," who would be the Legend and what would the skill be?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'm curious: going by the pattern of "every DLC Spirit Board has one Legend spirit that has an exclusive skill," who would be the Legend and what would the skill be?
Legend Class: Yukari Yakumo.
Spirit Effect: Reflect Dodge: All dodges have a chance to reflect projectiles. Reference to Yukari's ability to open gaps in reality.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Legend Class: Yukari Yakumo.
Spirit Effect: Reflect Dodge: All dodges have a chance to reflect projectiles. Reference to Yukari's ability to open gaps in reality.
Huh, that's an interesting idea. Never thought of that, though Yukari's a shoe-in for the Legend Spirit. Flandre could work too, considering she's one of the most popular Extra bosses (Or at least her theme is).

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
We talking about possible Spirits? Well, I actually made a Spirit Board of my own a fair ways back. Lemme just pull it up:

Touhou Spirits.png

It's got quite a number more Spirits than the usual Spirit Boards, and the three Legend class spirits definitely stands out (I just couldn't bring myself to put Kasen or Okina below Yukari tho) but I think it's justified, seeing as just how many characters there are in Touhou. The main theme of this particular board is just whoever has been a main character in at least one game/manga/print work, or at the very least is a fairly important figure in the series.

I also remember designing Spirit Battles for each of them, but I definitely don't have those saved anywhere on my computer, so I can't share them, unfortunately. I remember that some of them had some cool gimmicks like Mamizou being a Daisy that pulled out Pokeballs with Down Special instead of Turnips, or Okina stealing your spirit team once she gets above 100% damage. Who knows, maybe I'll redo them all later. Also remind me that I need to add Miyoi as a Novice Spirit, seeing as how she's the most recent manga protagonist (I also realised that I forgot the Watatsuki Sisters. Maybe I'll add them as well).

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We talking about possible Spirits? Well, I actually made a Spirit Board of my own a fair ways back. Lemme just pull it up:

View attachment 279336

It's got quite a number more Spirits than the usual Spirit Boards, and the three Legend class spirits definitely stands out (I just couldn't bring myself to put Kasen or Okina below Yukari tho) but I think it's justified, seeing as just how many characters there are in Touhou. The main theme of this particular board is just whoever has been a main character in at least one game/manga/print work, or at the very least is a fairly important figure in the series.

I also remember designing Spirit Battles for each of them, but I definitely don't have those saved anywhere on my computer, so I can't share them, unfortunately. I remember that some of them had some cool gimmicks like Mamizou being a Daisy that pulled out Pokeballs with Down Special instead of Turnips, or Okina stealing your spirit team once she gets above 100% damage. Who knows, maybe I'll redo them all later. Also remind me that I need to add Miyoi as a Novice Spirit, seeing as how she's the most recent manga protagonist (I also realised that I forgot the Watatsuki Sisters. Maybe I'll add them as well).
In other words, this would be the Spirits if Touhou was part of the base game.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Also remind me that I need to add Miyoi as a Novice Spirit, seeing as how she's the most recent manga protagonist (I also realised that I forgot the Watatsuki Sisters. Maybe I'll add them as well).
Ya know who else you forgot? Satori Komeiji. I mean come on, one of the two most recent manga series (Specifically, Cheating Detective Satori), is LITERALLY NAMED AFTER HER!

Last edited:

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Ya know who else you forgot? Satori Komeiji. I mean come on, one of the two most recent manga series (Specifically, Cheating Detective Satori), is LITERALLY NAMED AFTER HER!
CDS is in a weird spot, where I'm honestly not quite sure what to think of it, and oftentimes I forget it's even a thing. I'll probably have a different opinion of it once more chapters come out, I guess.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We're currently rating Valve reps, but after that is Reimu and Arle. In advance, I'd like to double-check and elaborate on things that could work in her favor:
One, apparently there's a fanmade scroll of Touhou characters that got in a museum in what I believe is Britain. What's the story on that? Apparently it was with the ****ing Rosetta Stone or at least a copy of it, so I think I need some details on this.
Two, I believe in one Touhou conference Nintendo was involved? If that's true, that could help Nintendo relations with ZUN a fair bit.
Lastly, I believe some Touhou characters appeared in Nendoroid Generation (At the very least Remilia did). If that's true, then it proves that ZUN is open to Touhou guest appearances.
So yeah, I'd like a bit of context here so I don't get facts wrong. In the meantime, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the Rate Their Chances so you can pitch in when the time comes.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
We're currently rating Valve reps, but after that is Reimu and Arle. In advance, I'd like to double-check and elaborate on things that could work in her favor:
One, apparently there's a fanmade scroll of Touhou characters that got in a museum in what I believe is Britain. What's the story on that? Apparently it was with the ****ing Rosetta Stone or at least a copy of it, so I think I need some details on this.
Two, I believe in one Touhou conference Nintendo was involved? If that's true, that could help Nintendo relations with ZUN a fair bit.
Lastly, I believe some Touhou characters appeared in Nendoroid Generation (At the very least Remilia did). If that's true, then it proves that ZUN is open to Touhou guest appearances.
So yeah, I'd like a bit of context here so I don't get facts wrong. In the meantime, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the Rate Their Chances so you can pitch in when the time comes.
So, let's get started.

A fanmade Touhou scroll was showcased at a british museum to represent the works of doujin creator, and was displayed to illustrate the connection between historical and comtemporary expression in manga, gaming, and anime fandom (according to the museum itself)
Reddit source of it hapening: https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/c0ulqa/the_touhou_project_is_on_display_at_the_british/
The inscription, but way closer than on the pctures: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7vjvTZWwAEU6WO.jpg

Nintendo participated at Reitaisai 13, where ZUN gave them a licence to publish cd of remixes. They even made a contest.
Reddit source: https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/4gpjs0/nintendo_and_sega_to_be_at_reitaisai_selling/
Shrinemaiden.org source: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,19472.msg1252539.html#msg1252539

Touhou in Nendoroid Generation: Reimu and Marisa both apear in the opening of the game, Reimu is even seen having tea with Saber.
The opening, from YouTube:
However, something to not about that is how Team Shangai Alice or ZUN do not apear in the trademarks at the start. It's more than likely bcause Touhou had no trademark at the time, but it's still notable. However, ZUN said in an interview that he's all in for Reimu joining Smash
Twitter source:
And if the tweet is not showing up, here it is again: https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1183253143590559745

Hope that it helped you.

Edit: I forgot about something else that hapened recently with Touhou. It's currently having a collab with Sanrio/Hello Kitty
Twitter link:
If the tweet doesn't show up: https://twitter.com/Sanrio_Apps/status/1284035107981066240

This is notable because Hello Kitty is the second biggest media series in the entire, beind only Pokemon. It's bigger than Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, or Winnih the Pooh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
For further reference, you should look back on the last time Reimu was rated.

I don't think I'm in the mood to do a write up this time around, so best of luck!

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
To add to that Sanrio collab thing, in the press release Eikoh published says, the concept of this collaboration is to reach to the young audiences Touhou has, especially elementary and middle schoolers, which has grown significantly in recent years due to YouTube and Smartphone Apps.

So companies are really looking into the potential of recent Touhou. The fact it's popular among kids is really something you shouldn't sleep on since Smash is Nintendo. Touhou's relevancy is real at least for Asia.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Reimu is being rated in Rate Their Chances come show your support!

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Looks like a third official tournament for Gensou Skydrift's coming up on August 1st for China: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1065260/announcements/detail/2748835686567124488

The winner gets a lot of costumes, tickets to "Oriental Theatre" (Google Translated this so might be a different name) and a towel (picture of the towel shows Aya on it). If 100+ participants take part, the reward for winning can be upgraded to the equivalent of a worldwide tournament, allowing for another newcomer to be picked...

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
25 Hour Touhou Station Broadcast on August 22nd.
The contents have been partially revealed on their website https://touhougarakuta.com/news/toho_station_25_01

From what I gathered from the website, the broadcast will include (but isnt limited to)
- The Kids Illustration Contest thats coming up in October
- Another Touhou Genso SkyDrift Tournament with support from SGN who have experience in hosting Tournaments
- Touhou Genso Mahjong with professional Mahjong player ASAPIN
- 72 hours Touhou Fan Game Jam that starts 2 Days before the Broadcast.
... and more. More Informations will be announced in the future.

Special Guests:
ZUN
Koshin Asakura (ASAPIN) (Mahjong Pro at U-NEXT Pirates)
Akina Mizuhara (Mahjong Pro at U-NEXT Pirates)
... and others. More Informations will be announced in the future.

Top Bottom