• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I kinda figured this would be the reaction. And, I mean, yeah it's kinda a no brainer. Reimu's the only character, playable or otherwise, with a perfect attendance record in the games; she's consistently the most popular character; pretty clearly the main face of Touhou as a whole; has a silhouette/concept arguably more unique in Smash; and seems to have ZUN's support. She's probably the right choice for Smash.

She's just not my choice. And I know, everyone would choose their favorite if they could. Personal bias aside, I think I can argue fairly well Marisa should be Touhou's second fighter, if not its first. Marisa is firmly entrenched as Touhou's deuteragonist, boasting easily the second best attendance record in game, and in the printworks is consistently seen alongside Reimu (although she has a bad habit of acting as Reimu's sidekick/jobber); she usually places second in the popularity polls still salty about that 4th place; despite her concept as an "ordinary magician" between her personality and signature attacks she's able to stand out in Smash and is an icon of Touhou; uh, and she appears more frequently as the application icon for mainline games, that totally counts for point.

Look, when I started participating actively in speculation two years ago, I accepted that if Touhou was going to get into Smash at all Reimu was gonna be the one. So as a Marisa fan, I'll take what I can get. If Min Min's inclusion means that within the likelihood of Touhou characters specifically Marisa's chances went from .1% to 1%, that's fine by me.
I'd love having Marisa too, but as users mentioned above I feel it's obvious that if any character is getting in, it'd be Reimu. If something does get in, that is. Though I do get your point in a way, because alongside Reimu, Marisa is the second most prominent character in the series, sharing a playable spot with Reimu ever since she debuted to be playable. She's really important in her own right.

That being said though, in the event that it does happen Marisa is guaranteed the second slot, if that also ever happens, haha. I really like how Marisa plays in the fighters so she'd be fun. I hope that if Reimu's in, Marisa gets a Mii Costume or something of the sort-- It'd seem like a no-brainer.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Honestly, Reimu wouldn't even be my pick if it were fully up to me. If it were my completely biased choice, I would pick Komachi, Reisen or Alice to be in smash. My reason for them being that, based on their appearances in fighting games, they have a ton of potential for very unique playstyles--a bizarre distance manipulator, a confusion fu/fake out fighter, and a weird puppeteer/trap character hybrid respectively.

Unfortunately, I don't think the choice with ARMS really changes anything. ARMS has no main character. Touhou does. Min Min had just as much right to get in as any other ARMS character, but no other Touhou character (even Marisa) has any business getting in over Reimu.

I don't really mind though. I even like Marisa more than Reimu, but Reimu is still a very cool and aesthetically pleasing character that would fit rather neatly among the rest of the Smash cast.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
ARMs is in a very weird position where it seems like there is no "official" protagonist and the typical frontrunner, Spring Man became an Assist Trophy at launch. Min Min is also the ARMs director's personal favorite as well as Min Min being the most popular character in the game so it makes sense for her to be picked.

Other than Reimu being one of the two main protagonists of Touhou, even to people who ain't fans of Touhou can instantly recognize her as "That silly girl in Red.". I also think ZUN doesn't have any personal bias towards any particular character, or at least doesn't let it get in the way when he makes games or write the official mangas.

Now this makes me want to see Reimu fight Min Min if Reimu were to get in because that'd be fun.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
While I think that Reimu would be the fighter if a touhou rep was picked, I think it'd be cool if some of her moveset referenced the partner system, notably Yukari. She does have a pretty strong case since they team up in a lot of the games and using Yukari's gaps could be pretty interesting, I'd imagine them working similarly to those teleporters in stage builder.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On that note, if Reimu comes with some unique new gimmicks like flight or grazing, how much would hypothetical second character like Marisa or Sakuya share? Would they have similar gimmicks, or would they have their own? I mean, everyone in Touhou can fly, but ultra instinct dodging is kinda Reimu's thing; I believe the wiki notes one event where Reimu dodges a projectile, but she thought the projectile itself had curved to avoid her. If Touhou's mechanics are spread out through multiple characters, I could see Reimu taking up the dodging/grazing mechanics.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
On that note, if Reimu comes with some unique new gimmicks like flight or grazing, how much would hypothetical second character like Marisa or Sakuya share? Would they have similar gimmicks, or would they have their own? I mean, everyone in Touhou can fly, but ultra instinct dodging is kinda Reimu's thing; I believe the wiki notes one event where Reimu dodges a projectile, but she thought the projectile itself had curved to avoid her. If Touhou's mechanics are spread out through multiple characters, I could see Reimu taking up the dodging/grazing mechanics.
Reimu generally has a slightly smaller hitbox. I dunno if they'd take that into account, but if they do, a second character could play off of that and have different properties from Reimu (say Reimu's light but hard to hit, Marisa could be a bit heavier but easier to hit)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Another thing to point out is that in terms of attacks, Reimu and Marisa are different. Whenever you go to the character select in a Touhou game, you'll find that Marisa has greater offense but lower range as opposed to Reimu having lower damage but more range thanks to her ability to shoot homing projectiles.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Another thing to point out is that in terms of attacks, Reimu and Marisa are different. Whenever you go to the character select in a Touhou game, you'll find that Marisa has greater offense but lower range as opposed to Reimu having lower damage but more range thanks to her ability to shoot homing projectiles.
Yeah, at most I'd assume they'd have the same general theme (Shot A, Shot B, Bomb, etc.) and share some gimmicks, but the execution would be different, and at most they'd be a Wolf-esque pseudo-clone.
Reimu generally has a slightly smaller hitbox. I dunno if they'd take that into account, but if they do, a second character could play off of that and have different properties from Reimu (say Reimu's light but hard to hit, Marisa could be a bit heavier but easier to hit)
On that note, how do you think grazing would be handled, if at all? Would she just graze from whiffed attacks in a general area around her, or would she have a smaller than normal hitbox? Would it heal her, give power to a gauge, etc.? Would it destroy projectiles, and if so, when would she do that, and how strong would the effects be? That kind of stuff.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah, at most I'd assume they'd have the same general theme (Shot A, Shot B, Bomb, etc.) and share some gimmicks, but the execution would be different, and at most they'd be a Wolf-esque pseudo-clone.

On that note, how do you think grazing would be handled, if at all? Would she just graze from whiffed attacks in a general area around her, or would she have a smaller than normal hitbox? Would it heal her, give power to a gauge, etc.? Would it destroy projectiles, and if so, when would she do that, and how strong would the effects be? That kind of stuff.
I had the idea where grazing would just be the equivalent of perfect shielding or something. In my mind, Reimu wouldn't have a normal shield. She'd have Focus Mode, which shrinks her hurtbox into an orb on her person and allows her to perfect shield everything that doesn't hit said hurtbox, but halves her movement speed and puts her at risk of a "Focus Break", which is like a shield break except it amplifies the damage taken.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

I think one way to do it would be that she's able to graze attacks/projectiles while flying (she could fly in a way like Peach's float, except being able to move in all directions) and much like getting P's off enemies in Touhou games, doing this would power up Reimu's projectiles until she dies and all that's reset. Though that's just an idea.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I had the idea where grazing would just be the equivalent of perfect shielding or something. In my mind, Reimu wouldn't have a normal shield. She'd have Focus Mode, which shrinks her hurtbox into an orb on her person and allows her to perfect shield everything that doesn't hit said hurtbox, but halves her movement speed and puts her at risk of a "Focus Break", which is like a shield break except it amplifies the damage taken.
I think one way to do it would be that she's able to graze attacks/projectiles while flying (she could fly in a way like Peach's float, except being able to move in all directions) and much like getting P's off enemies in Touhou games, doing this would power up Reimu's projectiles until she dies and all that's reset. Though that's just an idea.
That's some pretty decent concepts, actually. Personally, I'd make the Focus Made have Reimu invincible unless her hitbox takes damage, in which she'd take double damage. This would also make Roy the only fighter capable of dealing 100% in a single hit without Spirits equipped, due to the monstrous damage output of a fully-charged Flare Blade and Reimu's trade-off system.
As for the projectile buffs, there's the question of if it's just a power increase, or if they'll gain different properties as they increase in power.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
As for the projectile buffs, there's the question of if it's just a power increase, or if they'll gain different properties as they increase in power.
Why not both? I'll try to put what I had in mind through an example: say Reimu's neutral B is throwing ofuda straight forward (Like in the fighters). If she has power accumulated, the ofuda will be stronger, and gain slight homing capability. This could go up further, with her shooting light orbs alongside ofuda for slighter damage. Though I realize having high homing capability could be too strong; so it shouldn't get to the point they're unavoidable if you move around. To add a bit, I suppose she could have a power counter over her stock icon like other characters with gauge/meters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I just wondered something:
Popularity and fanworks aside, which Touhou characters have appeared the most? I know Reimu and Marisa are the obvious top two, but what about everyone else? Is there a list of who's appeared the most?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I just wondered something:
Popularity and fanworks aside, which Touhou characters have appeared the most? I know Reimu and Marisa are the obvious top two, but what about everyone else? Is there a list of who's appeared the most?
I think after those 2 its either Aya or Sanae, i think at least.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Strictly in main games?
Sakuya: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, DDC
Youmu: PCB, IN, PoFV, TD, WBaWC
Mima: HRtP, SoEW, PoDD, LLS, MS (Edit: Mima isn't in LLS)
Cirno: EoSD, PCB, PoFV, DDC, HSiFS

Each of them appears in 5 mainline games. Alice and Aya appear in 4, Yuuka, Yukari, Yuyuko, Reisen, and Sanae appear in 3, and quite a few appear in 2. Of course, these numbers fluctuate if you include the fighting games and photography games, let alone printworks, but just from the ones I've named I think that covers most of the highly popular/iconic characters.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Strictly in main games?
Mima: HRtP, SoEW, PoDD, LLS, MS

Each of them appears in 5 mainline games. Alice and Aya appear in 4, Yuuka, Yukari, Yuyuko, and Reisen appear in 3, and quite a few appear in 2. Of course, these numbers fluctuate if you include the fighting games and photography games, let alone printworks, but just from the ones I've named I think that covers most of the highly popular/iconic characters.
Wait, where does Mima apear in LLS? I'm pretty sure that she's only mentioned in Marisa's endnigs in that game.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Wait, where does Mima apear in LLS? I'm pretty sure that she's only mentioned in Marisa's endnigs in that game.
Ah, nice catch. Got a touch lazy there, only 4 for Mima. Still pretty good though, even if people discount PC98.

other 2 concept medley made by me
Pretty good collections, the transitions weren't too jarring. The Smash equivalents would probably be much shorter though, about a 3 minute loop for the whole medley. btw, did you use rips straight from the PC98 versions or are these the Akyu's Untouched Score renditions? To my ear, it sounds like the former.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Strictly in main games?
Mima: HRtP, SoEW, PoDD, LLS, MS (Edit: Mima isn't in LLS)

Each of them appears in 5 mainline games. Alice and Aya appear in 4, Yuuka, Yukari, Yuyuko, and Reisen appear in 3, and quite a few appear in 2. Of course, these numbers fluctuate if you include the fighting games and photography games, let alone printworks, but just from the ones I've named I think that covers most of the highly popular/iconic characters.
And didn't Sanae start popping up all over the place during the 2nd generation of Windows? I hear she was pretty contentious for that.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
If we count the spinoff games and the print works (including little cameos), I honestly think Aya has the most appearances, probably followed by Cirno.

Now I'm interested in making a full chart for this.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Hello, first time posting in this thread, but I've been lurking for a while. I've only just started getting into Touhou after hearing about it for so long but so far I'm loving it, there's a lot to go through though lol. Anyway, the talk about other possible Touhou characters had me wondering something:

1) If a Touhou rep is chosen, do you think it's possible we might get a swapping duo character (ala Pokemon Trainer) with Reimu and Marisa? I still think Reimu is the most likely choice, but having her share the spotlight with Marisa would give them the opportunity to include a lot more abilities and spells. Plus Master Spark seems just tailor made for a Final Smash.

2) Whether Reimu and/or Marisa or any other character. Do you think it would be a good idea to give them some of the other characters' signature Spell Cards? Like with Ness/Lucas/Byleth? It would definitely make for a heck of a moveset if they included even just a few of the more well-known ones like Cirno's or Sakuya's. Perhaps they could be on a timer or limited just to show that they're not as powerful as the originals?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hello, first time posting in this thread, but I've been lurking for a while. I've only just started getting into Touhou after hearing about it for so long but so far I'm loving it, there's a lot to go through though lol. Anyway, the talk about other possible Touhou characters had me wondering something:

1) If a Touhou rep is chosen, do you think it's possible we might get a swapping duo character (ala Pokemon Trainer) with Reimu and Marisa? I still think Reimu is the most likely choice, but having her share the spotlight with Marisa would give them the opportunity to include a lot more abilities and spells. Plus Master Spark seems just tailor made for a Final Smash.

2) Whether Reimu and/or Marisa or any other character. Do you think it would be a good idea to give them some of the other characters' signature Spell Cards? Like with Ness/Lucas/Byleth? It would definitely make for a heck of a moveset if they included even just a few of the more well-known ones like Cirno's or Sakuya's. Perhaps they could be on a timer or limited just to show that they're not as powerful as the originals?
1-Most likely not, though it's possible, given that there has been some character-swapping mechanics in Touhou. That being said, if anything it would be a Reimu/Yukari duo.
2-Very unlikely. It worked with other characters because it still fit their general theme, and because they were limited in terms of material to prove from; Reimu has more than enough for a complete, unique moveset on her own.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

Well, it's been already answered, but I can add a bit:

1) While this has some precedence in Touhou with both IN and AoCF having a team system, and the second being even a fighter, so it's not too out of the blue, I don't think it'd happen through DLC, because Pokemon Trainer is counted as three separate characters on the website, so it's safe to say there probably won't be a sort of swappable character, as that'd mean making two whole new ones, rather than one. And even then, I think making them a duo in a game like this would be taking away from their potential as characters themselves. Both Reimu and Marisa would make for great solo characters.

2) I also don't find it too likely since the characters have more than enough abilties to make for their own full moveset. I'll say it's a little funny to think about, though, stuff like Reimu doing a Master Spark, lol

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Now I'm interested in making a full chart for this.
I went ahead and did some research and put together a little chart for the most common characters in the series (outside Remiu and Marisa of course). This includes character cameos such as Hopeless Masquerade and Silent Sinner in Blue, both of which have tons of characters cameo in crowd scenes.

I was surprised that Youmu had out placed Aya in the total, but Lotus Eaters and Cheating Detective are on-going mangas, so there's still chance for her (and others) to appear.

touhou chart.png

this was pointlessly nerdy of me to do

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Well, hey. No wonder Youmu made 1st in the last poll. Now it's up to Aya to step it up!

By the by, that list is pretty nice.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I went ahead and did some research and put together a little chart for the most common characters in the series (outside Remiu and Marisa of course). This includes character cameos such as Hopeless Masquerade and Silent Sinner in Blue, both of which have tons of characters cameo in crowd scenes.

I was surprised that Youmu had out placed Aya in the total, but Lotus Eaters and Cheating Detective are on-going mangas, so there's still chance for her (and others) to appear.

View attachment 276657

this was pointlessly nerdy of me to do
I must say, I'm happy that Sakuya is doing so well in this.

Also, something that I just remember now. This night, I had a dream where Reimu was revealed for Smash, but she also had Suika as a companion/character to swap with. The duo thing was made kinda like how it was done with Sheik and Zelda in Melee, with Reimu being the comboy one, while Suika does the kills. And also the swap was made with mist, which I remember thinking that it was cool.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Also, something that I just remember now. This night, I had a dream where Reimu was revealed for Smash, but she also had Suika as a companion/character to swap with. The duo thing was made kinda like how it was done with Sheik and Zelda in Melee, with Reimu being the comboy one, while Suika does the kills. And also the swap was made with mist, which I remember thinking that it was cool.
Hmm. That's an interesting thing to think about.

Suika's debut was a fighting game, which was what Smash Bros. is, so she'd have a lot of moves tailor-made for an entire moveset. Not to mention, lorewise, she'd be just as feasible a potential partner as Marisa or Yukari, since Suika's often seen at the Hakurei Shrine with Reimu. Though Suika might bump up the rating because of her booze gourd or something.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
One other thing to note--I didn't include the SWR characters in Hisoutensoku because SWR has to be locked on to Hisoutensoku for those characters to be playable. Otherwise Hisoutensoku is its own standalone game and only Cirno gets a story scenario (Sakuya shows up in an ending).

However, someone pointed out to me that the SWR characters do have unique dialogue in versus mode exclusive to Hisoutensoku, and since I'm counting character cameos in this, there's no reason why I shouldn't count them as part of hisoutensoku as well. This wouldn't really change the rankings that much, but it would mean that Youmu and Sakuya would be tied game-wise.

I kinda like this idea, but if there's a character swapping mechanic I think it would probably be regulated to Yukari.

Honestly though, considering the Touhou fighting games, Reimu has a truckload of material to use to be a single fighter just by herself.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Do you think we'd get some degree of Seihou content? It's not necessarily Touhou specifically, but it's fairly closely related and Reimu and Marisa made cameos at one point. Plus, ZUN made the music; Maybe we'd get a Seihou song in the track list?

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Do you think we'd get some degree of Seihou content? It's not necessarily Touhou specifically, but it's fairly closely related and Reimu and Marisa made cameos at one point. Plus, ZUN made the music; Maybe we'd get a Seihou song in the track list?
I kinda doubt it. Frankly, they;d be hardpressed to include enough Touhou songs as it is before worrying about Seihou. Reimu could come with literally 100 tracks, and you'd likely still be missing a fan favorite.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly ends up coming with her. After all, they used this song as Reimu's theme in the fighting games a couple of times.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hey, I just realized:

If when Reimu does get announced for Smash, do you think Maximilian Dood would get a kick out of the Touhou fighting games?

Top Bottom