• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Forgot about it for a bit until late last night but for those of you interested in Gensou Skydrift, the VOD's up for the second tournament. The winner picked Rin to get into the game and there's a screenshot of Alice's model along with a few Flandre and Clownpiece colour schemes, along with the concept art for Alice's in-game artwork being shown off (she was picked by the last tournament's winner to get in) late into the stream (1 hour and 43 minutes in). Here's the link to the VOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOK-QRMkoI
They put in Soviet Clownpiece lmao

Also, by Rin do you mean Orin?

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Gensou Skydrift looks ridiculous. The amount of quality art and UI in the same game as these ugly graphics, it really shouldn't happen. If I were the graphics guy, I would feel ashamed even if I did my best. I personally wouldn't release a game in that state.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I've played the game quite a bit, unlocked all the characters and tracks. While I agree the graphics could use more polish, the engine under the hood is very fun.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Gensou Skydrift looks ridiculous. The amount of quality art and UI in the same game as these ugly graphics, it really shouldn't happen. If I were the graphics guy, I would feel ashamed even if I did my best. I personally wouldn't release a game in that state.
I mean, it's just a fangame and the models were all most likely done by one person. Can't expect the best graphics there .
They put in Soviet Clownpiece lmao
They did WHAT? And here I thought that screenshot was just the dev having some dumb fun. Didn't expect that to show up in the game, ahaha.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
They did WHAT? And here I thought that screenshot was just the dev having some dumb fun. Didn't expect that to show up in the game, ahaha.
err, I mean idk if it is, I don't have my switch with me, but I saw it there with the Alice model, so I assume if it isn't now it will be.

gavtel

Smash Cadet
A western tournament's also coming up in mid-April, though the winner doesn't get to pick a new character to add to the game. Instead they get a PC-98 skin for Reimu / Marisa, along with a special colour skin for one character, a gold in-game faction medal and a $50 Steam / Switch Gift Card. Details can be found here on the Touhou Reddit (looks like it was posted prior to April Fools): https://old.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/fsi6mh/gensou_skdrift_western_tournament/

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wish i was good at the game but i cant for the life of me figure out how to correctly drift and boost. I cant even beat the story because of this :(

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The developers are actually putting stuff into the game based off of it? Neato. I'd give it a shot but something about 2hus surfing on other 2hus is a little too out there for even me.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
The developers are actually putting stuff into the game based off of it? Neato. I'd give it a shot but something about 2hus surfing on other 2hus is a little too out there for even me.
Haven't missed much to be honest. The game is fairly mediocre.

The game is also available on PC and should be easy to find on the web if you want to check it out.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Well that's a bummer, but makes sense. I hope all the circles who would've attended are taking care of themselves.

I know anything that could have been revealed/released can wait, but I'm still curious what that might be. Maybe they'll hold a Direct-style press release for official stuff + high profile doujin works? iirc, there was such a livestream last year around this time.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, with how the current situation here is unfolding I'd be hard pressed to visit any conventions. Still have a weird feeling standing daily in a train with coughing and sneezing people all around me. No home office for lil' ol me I'm afraid. *shudder*
(Well, not for long anyway. I'll be preemptively returning home next week. Not sure if thats "better" though.)

I just hope that those inconveniences aren't affecting any circles in a bad way. Maybe they'll go the online route. I'd be happy to buy more stuff over bandcamp or similar services.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, I saw that just yesterday. Gotta say, the graphics look pretty good; the concept is very odd yet strangely cool; the gameplay looks kinda jank, ngl.

Seems like it has the potential to be an above average fan game (though depending on who you talk to, that isn't exactly difficult). But we won't have long 'till we find out.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Touhou fangames in a nutshell. :nifty:

I think I'm gonna play through all the Touhou games again, now that I have some free time the next few weeks. Been a few years for a lot of games to be honest.
Nice, enjoy your time! Doing the same for all the Mega Man games right now as I have even more spare time than usual. Might as well play MegaMari once I'm done with 1-11, lol

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Nice, enjoy your time! Doing the same for all the Mega Man games right now as I have even more spare time than usual. Might as well play MegaMari once I'm done with 1-11, lol
Ah yes, Mega man. Had a ton of fun with the collections. Played through 1 to 7 last year and I am currently playing the X games until I make my way to 8-10. Might play through 11 again, even if it wasn't that long ago.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Just went back a few pages and was reminded of the "sponsor X" mystery. Guess it will be a while longer before we figure out what that's all about.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just went back a few pages and was reminded of the "sponsor X" mystery. Guess it will be a while longer before we figure out what that's all about.
Unless they announce it online. If this was a huge deal they may not be able to afford to wait. Imagine, a touhou direct

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I just imagine Sakurai coming out of his closet as a huge Touhou fan and just gushing about the games and everything sorrounding it for 30 minutes.

That would be pretty epic.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
It seems that a nice bit of info came from last years NicoNico Live Super Touhou Live 2019 stream.
(April 29. 2019)
Now while the archive is only accessible to Premium Members, a transcript has been posted too, albeit weird to translate so ill just tell you how i understood it.

Ruw, who is pretty much ZUNs "Legal Matters Friend" and a official at Mediascape who promotes Play,Doujin! (A publisher who helps out and distributes Touhou and Non-Touhou Doujin Games to PC and Console) mentioned how

"If they were to port Touhou Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (for example) then Nintendo would support them in various ways"

This Twitter user who we got the info from generally says that it further confirms Nintendo being very much aware of Touhou and its popularity.
Source
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Transcript because you need NicoNico Premium

Now. I very much doubt a port of Danmaku Touhou games by ZUN, especially old ones.
I feel there is a much higher priority for him in continuing moving forward, making new entries, canon works like music or manga or help bringing collaborations into fruition.

But It is a great sign to have another confirmation that Nintendo is aware and willing to support Touhou. And also hopefully a sign of many great future collaborations between ZUN, Tasofro, Touhou Doujin Creators and Nintendo.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It seems that a nice bit of info came from last years NicoNico Live Super Touhou Live 2019 stream.
(April 29. 2019)
Now while the archive is only accessible to Premium Members, a transcript has been posted too, albeit weird to translate so ill just tell you how i understood it.

Ruw, who is pretty much ZUNs "Legal Matters Friend" and a official at Mediascape who promotes Play,Doujin! (A publisher who helps out and distributes Touhou and Non-Touhou Doujin Games to PC and Console) mentioned how

"If they were to port Touhou Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (for example) then Nintendo would support them in various ways"

This Twitter user who we got the info from generally says that it further confirms Nintendo being very much aware of Touhou and its popularity.
Source

Now. I very much doubt a port of Danmaku Touhou games by ZUN, especially old ones.
I feel there is a much higher priority for him in continuing moving forward, making new entries, canon works like music or manga or help bringing collaborations into fruition.

But It is a great sign to have another confirmation that Nintendo is aware and willing to support Touhou. And also hopefully a sign of many great future collaborations between ZUN, Tasofro, Touhou Doujin Creators and Nintendo.
This was a "Whao, wait a minute" post if I ever saw one.

Makes me wonder if the thing that got the Reimu for Smash twitter excited was related to this.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
(April 29. 2019)

Source

The source btw. From 3:35:50
https://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv325288892

https://touhougarakuta.com/news/200424/
Shrine Maiden of Hakurei revealed.

And the doujin leakers' post below from 26th of February.
748 なまえをいれてください (ドコグロ MM7b-aXwv [110.233.247.110]) 2020/02/26(水) 21:07:15.92 ID:fKImFM77M
そろそろハクレイのミコの方が公開されるかも
当たってたら褒めてね
Shrine Maiden of Hakurei should be getting a reveal soon.
If it became real please praise me.
https://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1582455708/748
https://5ch-ranking.com/cache/view/famicom/1582455708#748

And his newest post about this.
619 :名無し (ドコグロ MM2f-Fpic [118.109.188.41]) [↓] :2020/04/25(土) 21:16:27.33 ID:a+z/K/WWM (2/3) [MVNO]
>>618
コロナがなければもっと早く公開だったんよ(震え声)
If Corona hasn't happened, the reveal was way more earlier.
http://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1587246507/619

His new fantasy.
613 :名無し (ドコグロ MM2f-Fpic [118.109.188.41]) [↓] :2020/04/25(土) 21:03:45.65 ID:a+z/K/WWM (1/3) [MVNO]
これは妄想だけど曲アレンジ担当に笹井隆司さんがいるかも
ルドラの秘宝とかの人
This is my fantasy but Ryuji Sasai may be participating in the arrangements.
The guy was doing Treasure of the Rudras.

623 :名無し (ドコグロ MM2f-Fpic [118.109.188.41]) [↓] :2020/04/25(土) 21:23:15.59 ID:a+z/K/WWM (3/3) [MVNO]
私のはリークではなく東方界隈の状況から推測(妄想)ですけどね
だから機密情報横流ししてるとかそういう犯罪は犯していないので悪しからず
My postings are not leaks but just predictions(fantasies) from Touhou sides.
So I'm not really leaking any real secrets or doing anything dangerous.
http://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1587246507/

Several posts from him I haven't brought up yet so I just compile them here.
IPs are different but his IP isn't fixed but not random. They switch time to time.
When you search them you can tell those IPs shares same interests and writing styles.

March 28th.
332 なまえをいれてください (ドコグロ MM7f-eYIm [119.243.55.34]) sage 2020/03/28(土) 22:01:34.43 ID:SCfTjBKXM
この前の曲目順番おかしいリーク画像もしかしたら正解かもしれない
もしかして参戦発表近い?
That supposed track list leak image with weird order might be right.
Is is possible the reveal is coming soon?
https://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1585266398/332

He's talking about this image. But he was saying this is fake because the list order is off.

And these are right after Reitaisai 17's cancel announcement.

375 :名無し (ドコグロ MM92-jZ8T [119.240.142.18]) [↓] :2020/04/13(月) 02:27:23.49 ID:3E3P9IvXM (1/6) [MVNO]
相貌の狂いが始まったよもうすぐだ
Madness of Visages had began. It's soon.

378 :名無し (ドコグロ MM92-jZ8T [119.240.142.18]) [↓] :2020/04/13(月) 02:48:08.45 ID:3E3P9IvXM (3/6) [MVNO]
もうスマブラどころではない
vチューバーとコラボとか次の東方ステーションで霜降り明星の粗品とZUNが対談するとか
そういうレベルではない
動き出してしまった太田順也の暴走が今始まる
やべえよやべえよ
It's not just about Smash anymore.
Collabs with Vtubers or ZUN and Soshina of Shimofuri Myoujo (some comedian) talk on the next Touhou Station, those are nothing.
Junya Ota's rampage is really happening.
This is crazy.

379 :名無し (ドコグロ MM92-jZ8T [119.240.142.18]) [↓] :2020/04/13(月) 02:51:15.64 ID:3E3P9IvXM (4/6) [MVNO]
多分俺しか気付いてない
剛欲異聞もちれいきでんも全部伏線だったんだよ
No one has noticed but me.
Gouyoku Ibun (17.5) and Chirei Kiden (manga) are all hints.

380 :名無し (ドコグロ MM92-jZ8T [119.240.142.18]) [↓] :2020/04/13(月) 02:53:06.44 ID:3E3P9IvXM (5/6) [MVNO]
スマブラに霊夢は参戦するし
スマブラ以上に今後はアグレッシブな動きをしていく
アニプレックスもそうなのー?俺嫌いなんだけどな
Reimu will join in Smash.
But there will be more aggressive moves are coming. More than Smash.
Aniplex is one of them? I don't like it.

381 :名無し (ドコグロ MM92-jZ8T [119.240.142.18]) [↓] :2020/04/13(月) 02:58:15.04 ID:3E3P9IvXM (6/6) [MVNO]
埴安神が魔界神のオマージュだったのも
急に公式で何十年ぶりにフランドールにセリフ喋らしたのも
全部伏線だったんだよおおお
Keiki Haniyasushin was a hommage of God of Makai (Shinki).
Suddenly the offcial gave Frandre some lines after years of nothing.
They were all hints!
http://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1586261588/

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
The source btw. From 3:35:50
https://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv325288892

https://touhougarakuta.com/news/200424/
Shrine Maiden of Hakurei revealed.

And the doujin leakers' post below from 26th of February.
748 なまえをいれてください (ドコグロ MM7b-aXwv [110.233.247.110]) 2020/02/26(水) 21:07:15.92 ID:fKImFM77M
そろそろハクレイのミコの方が公開されるかも
当たってたら褒めてね
Shrine Maiden of Hakurei should be getting a reveal soon.
If it became real please praise me.
https://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1582455708/748
https://5ch-ranking.com/cache/view/famicom/1582455708#748

And his newest post about this.
619 :名無し (ドコグロ MM2f-Fpic [118.109.188.41]) [↓] :2020/04/25(土) 21:16:27.33 ID:a+z/K/WWM (2/3) [MVNO]
>>618
コロナがなければもっと早く公開だったんよ(震え声)
If Corona hasn't happened, the reveal was way more earlier.
http://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1587246507/619

His new fantasy.
613 :名無し (ドコグロ MM2f-Fpic [118.109.188.41]) [↓] :2020/04/25(土) 21:03:45.65 ID:a+z/K/WWM (1/3) [MVNO]
これは妄想だけど曲アレンジ担当に笹井隆司さんがいるかも
ルドラの秘宝とかの人
This is my fantasy but Ryuji Sasai may be participating in the arrangements.
The guy was doing Treasure of the Rudras.

623 :名無し (ドコグロ MM2f-Fpic [118.109.188.41]) [↓] :2020/04/25(土) 21:23:15.59 ID:a+z/K/WWM (3/3) [MVNO]
私のはリークではなく東方界隈の状況から推測(妄想)ですけどね
だから機密情報横流ししてるとかそういう犯罪は犯していないので悪しからず
My postings are not leaks but just predictions(fantasies) from Touhou sides.
So I'm not really leaking any real secrets or doing anything dangerous.
http://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1587246507/

Several posts from him I haven't brought up yet so I just compile them here.
IPs are different but his IP isn't fixed but not random. They switch time to time.
When you search them you can tell those IPs shares same interests and writing styles.

March 28th.
332 なまえをいれてください (ドコグロ MM7f-eYIm [119.243.55.34]) sage 2020/03/28(土) 22:01:34.43 ID:SCfTjBKXM
この前の曲目順番おかしいリーク画像もしかしたら正解かもしれない
もしかして参戦発表近い?
That supposed track list leak image with weird order might be right.
Is is possible the reveal is coming soon?
https://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1585266398/332

He's talking about this image. But he was saying this is fake because the list order is off.

And these are right after Reitaisai 17's cancel announcement.

375 :名無し (ドコグロ MM92-jZ8T [119.240.142.18]) [↓] :2020/04/13(月) 02:27:23.49 ID:3E3P9IvXM (1/6) [MVNO]
相貌の狂いが始まったよもうすぐだ
Madness of Visages had began. It's soon.

378 :名無し (ドコグロ MM92-jZ8T [119.240.142.18]) [↓] :2020/04/13(月) 02:48:08.45 ID:3E3P9IvXM (3/6) [MVNO]
もうスマブラどころではない
vチューバーとコラボとか次の東方ステーションで霜降り明星の粗品とZUNが対談するとか
そういうレベルではない
動き出してしまった太田順也の暴走が今始まる
やべえよやべえよ
It's not just about Smash anymore.
Collabs with Vtubers or ZUN and Soshina of Shimofuri Myoujo (some comedian) talk on the next Touhou Station, those are nothing.
Junya Ota's rampage is really happening.
This is crazy.

379 :名無し (ドコグロ MM92-jZ8T [119.240.142.18]) [↓] :2020/04/13(月) 02:51:15.64 ID:3E3P9IvXM (4/6) [MVNO]
多分俺しか気付いてない
剛欲異聞もちれいきでんも全部伏線だったんだよ
No one has noticed but me.
Gouyoku Ibun (17.5) and Chirei Kiden (manga) are all hints.

380 :名無し (ドコグロ MM92-jZ8T [119.240.142.18]) [↓] :2020/04/13(月) 02:53:06.44 ID:3E3P9IvXM (5/6) [MVNO]
スマブラに霊夢は参戦するし
スマブラ以上に今後はアグレッシブな動きをしていく
アニプレックスもそうなのー?俺嫌いなんだけどな
Reimu will join in Smash.
But there will be more aggressive moves are coming. More than Smash.
Aniplex is one of them? I don't like it.

381 :名無し (ドコグロ MM92-jZ8T [119.240.142.18]) [↓] :2020/04/13(月) 02:58:15.04 ID:3E3P9IvXM (6/6) [MVNO]
埴安神が魔界神のオマージュだったのも
全部伏線だったんだよおおお
They were all hints!
http://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1586261588/
Is this the same leaker? they either really know something, or they are fully quadruppaling down on their fake leak.

Still, I would love to see Reimu in. I mean look at my icon, I love Touhou. But I am a little wary of her reveal was going to be soon or as FP2. that meant she would be revealed at E3... which makes some sense but also may be too "japanese" for the only E3 reveal.

If they were going to be revealed at Reiatsu, thats odd, as thats a Japanese only thing. Granted, Game awards is basically a America only thing, but it is streamed world wide, I don't think Reiatsu was.

Still, I'll keep an eye out. Its possible we can still get her revealed at around June.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
This is still worth looking at regardless. At the very least it is gonna drive some discussion. Obviously it'd be nice if it was true since obviously it'd mean Reimu gets in Smash.

I also kinda wish the music image was real since it'd kill off any worries I have of the music selection being strictly EOSD, PCB, and IN. That right there is my biggest concern: Only sticking with the Windows music most people know about plus Bad Apple. It's a strange worry but to me, having music from most spots of the series would be a good way to represent Touhou and to expose people who only know of the early days of Windows Touhou.

Just a bit of a little worry I had but hey. In the end, if we get her we get her.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I personally think that if Reimu is in they can reveal her anytime. There should be no issue since Hero was revealed at E3 and that was clearly more of a Japanese-oriented pick.

I hadn't seen that music picture before, and even though it's pretty easy to fake I like the music selection in it. I still feel like it'd be surreal to actually see all that in game. That being said, it's interesting that something "came true". The leaker himself is saying lots of it is "fantasies", but I guess we'll see how it turns out. I still dunno if there'd be much stock to put into it.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Is this the same leaker? they either really know something, or they are fully quadruppaling down on their fake leak.

Still, I would love to see Reimu in. I mean look at my icon, I love Touhou. But I am a little wary of her reveal was going to be soon or as FP2. that meant she would be revealed at E3... which makes some sense but also may be too "japanese" for the only E3 reveal.

If they were going to be revealed at Reiatsu, thats odd, as thats a Japanese only thing. Granted, Game awards is basically a America only thing, but it is streamed world wide, I don't think Reiatsu was.

Still, I'll keep an eye out. Its possible we can still get her revealed at around June.
Remember, E3 is cancelled. I know they would have planned out reveals months in advance, for example our mysterious ARMS fighter was probably meant to be released if not revealed at E3. Still, I don't think Nintendo cares too much about order, I think characters are released when Sakurai has finished them.

On the whole, I think the doujin/5chan leaker should still be regarded with suspicion. It's clear he's close to ZUN or close to someone close to ZUN, such that he is privy to some inside info; iirc, his best track record is with Touhou manga leaks, so maybe he's closer to that side of Touhou? In any case, forgive me if this impression is born from the translation and in fact not supported in the original Japanese, but the leaker's wording, particularly use of "fantasy," and overall ambiguity doesn't lend a lot of confidence to their claims. It comes of as not committal, an added layer of plausible deniability. Not to mention we're at about the one year anniversary of "Reimu's totally coming to smash, guys." That does somewhat line up with the ZUN interview where he mentioned smash unprompted and is well before the recording of the Terry presentation where Sakurai confirmed more smash dlc, which is important because as we know from the Byleth presentaion the FP2 characters have been selected, so it's not impossible ZUN was approached by nintendo last April (despite western interest in Reimu not exploding until September). But to say as much then is so ludicrously early it defies belief.

tl;dr: same old, same old

I will say though, it's comforting to see a leak, fake or no, if for no other reason it keeps the dream alive. Since the start of the year, I've seen a lot less support for Reimu. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. But seeing more of this reminds me people do want her, and it makes me want to talk about her more. I've thought about talking about Reimu for Smash more, both on SB and elsewhere, but each time I thought "well, hasn't discussion on Reimu played out? Don't we know all the pros and cons? What's left to say?" so I never did. I guess that was mostly projection; just because I've been over these points a thousand times doesn't mean other people have, heck there are still people out there who've never considered Reimu before. Discussion fuels discussion, speculation fuels speculation.
I noticed after Byleth it wasn't just Reimu but all speculation went into a nose dive. I think the announcement that FP2 would be it and the characters had already been selected killed speculation, although I'm not sure why. Maybe people just found it too limiting. Or maybe it all really was just played out. I feel like Reimu was the last character to really shake up speculation, even if she didn't quite stick. (I guess you could argue Dante, but I feel like he was still relevant in speculation before people lost their minds in January).

Anyway,

The music list "leak" in particular I think is most likely fake. Not simply because music isn't arranged chronologically, but mainly it's way way way waaaaay too easy to fake a static image.
As for the selection present, it seems reasonable enough. 26 tracks is more than most dlc packs get, and although I'd prefer the SNK treatment (which I don't see why that would be difficult unless Nintendo needed to pay not only ZUN but doujin circles for arrangements as well) I'd take it in a heart beat over the SE treatment. From what is in the image, all the tracks are sensible, popular, iconic additions even among the wider Touhou library. Personally, I'm fine with the picks leaning towards the early windows era, say EoSD to SA. I know many people will say those have been done to death, but I think they've stuck around for a reason. Still, that's not to disparage the other games, I think top to bottom each Touhou game has a stellar ost, so to have any mainline game miss the cut, even PC98, would be a shame. But if any game is going to get love, it's going to be EoSD even if it should be IN.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Remember, E3 is cancelled. I know they would have planned out reveals months in advance, for example our mysterious ARMS fighter was probably meant to be released if not revealed at E3. Still, I don't think Nintendo cares too much about order, I think characters are released when Sakurai has finished them.

On the whole, I think the doujin/5chan leaker should still be regarded with suspicion. It's clear he's close to ZUN or close to someone close to ZUN, such that he is privy to some inside info; iirc, his best track record is with Touhou manga leaks, so maybe he's closer to that side of Touhou? In any case, forgive me if this impression is born from the translation and in fact not supported in the original Japanese, but the leaker's wording, particularly use of "fantasy," and overall ambiguity doesn't lend a lot of confidence to their claims. It comes of as not committal, an added layer of plausible deniability. Not to mention we're at about the one year anniversary of "Reimu's totally coming to smash, guys." That does somewhat line up with the ZUN interview where he mentioned smash unprompted and is well before the recording of the Terry presentation where Sakurai confirmed more smash dlc, which is important because as we know from the Byleth presentaion the FP2 characters have been selected, so it's not impossible ZUN was approached by nintendo last April (despite western interest in Reimu not exploding until September). But to say as much then is so ludicrously early it defies belief.

tl;dr: same old, same old

I will say though, it's comforting to see a leak, fake or no, if for no other reason it keeps the dream alive. Since the start of the year, I've seen a lot less support for Reimu. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. But seeing more of this reminds me people do want her, and it makes me want to talk about her more. I've thought about talking about Reimu for Smash more, both on SB and elsewhere, but each time I thought "well, hasn't discussion on Reimu played out? Don't we know all the pros and cons? What's left to say?" so I never did. I guess that was mostly projection; just because I've been over these points a thousand times doesn't mean other people have, heck there are still people out there who've never considered Reimu before. Discussion fuels discussion, speculation fuels speculation.
I noticed after Byleth it wasn't just Reimu but all speculation went into a nose dive. I think the announcement that FP2 would be it and the characters had already been selected killed speculation, although I'm not sure why. Maybe people just found it too limiting. Or maybe it all really was just played out. I feel like Reimu was the last character to really shake up speculation, even if she didn't quite stick. (I guess you could argue Dante, but I feel like he was still relevant in speculation before people lost their minds in January).

Anyway,

The music list "leak" in particular I think is most likely fake. Not simply because music isn't arranged chronologically, but mainly it's way way way waaaaay too easy to fake a static image.
As for the selection present, it seems reasonable enough. 26 tracks is more than most dlc packs get, and although I'd prefer the SNK treatment (which I don't see why that would be difficult unless Nintendo needed to pay not only ZUN but doujin circles for arrangements as well) I'd take it in a heart beat over the SE treatment. From what is in the image, all the tracks are sensible, popular, iconic additions even among the wider Touhou library. Personally, I'm fine with the picks leaning towards the early windows era, say EoSD to SA. I know many people will say those have been done to death, but I think they've stuck around for a reason. Still, that's not to disparage the other games, I think top to bottom each Touhou game has a stellar ost, so to have any mainline game miss the cut, even PC98, would be a shame. But if any game is going to get love, it's going to be EoSD even if it should be IN.

It really is comforting and at least drives up discussion. But I can say speculation for 90% of characters took a nosedive and not just Reimu when FP2 was announced. If it's not part of the commonly discussed character selection(Sora, Waluigi, Hayabusa, Steve, Geno, Doom Guy, etc etc) then their discussion is either shut down or took a nosedive. It's not just Reimu there, it's most other characters.

And to correct things, It seems like it doesn't go up to SA because you can barely make out Eternal Spring Dream listed. Just a small correction, even if it may be fake.

It's reasonable if this was ever real even if it is missing some songs I'd like to see. Immortal Smoke, Lunatic Princess, Pure Furies, Lost Emotion, Broken Moon/Missing Power, Reincarnation, and a few others would work well. Obviously not all of them would get in but IMO there's a lot of Touhou tracks to choose from and if Reimu got in Smash, a good selection from classic and more modern tracks would be nice IMO.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
On terms of Design i expect it to be more like This [Which is Based of ZUN Artwork]:
(Done by @GalactigalSSBU & @YanpaiArt)
This render is just about perfect. It captures everything that makes the ZUN style while keeping it high def and congruous with the rest of Smash. Idk about the paw prints, I like the WBaWC reference but I doubt that'd make it to smash unless it's specifically Smash x Touhou 17.

Also the face looks much nicer than I remember, did someone touch it up?

Edit: I think we all suspected this, but the track list is confirmed fake, from a tweet of last year.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
埴安神が魔界神のオマージュだったのも
全部伏線だったんだよおおお
They were all hints!
Sorry to ask, but what is this in reference to? Is it Detective Satori?

Last edited:

Brazillian Cara

Smash Cadet
It's really nice to get all this new (old) info about Touhou's relationship with Nintendo, and I'm intrigued about those additional bigger plans if they're real.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason EoSD has yet to receive any port or re-release of any kind (even on Steam) the fact that the source code for the game was lost in a computer crash that also took PCB, IN and PoFD - which is part of why there's a distinction between old and "new" Windows Touhou games?

Top Bottom