• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't think Touhou's lost its steam at all. Unless you mean in terms of popularity, in which case yeah I agree, though I wouldn't say that's a bad thing since most of the people who jumped ship were people who bandwagonned off of old memes and then jumped to the next hot thing with cute girls (KanColle, the sleu of gacha games, etc). I'd argue in terms of series quality Touhou's not dipped at all. Touhou 16 had a very fun that felt reminiscent of the earlier Touhou titles, Antimony of Common Flowers was genuinely fun to play, the gimmick was sweet, and the new additions to the roster were great, especially Shion and Jo'on being characters chock full of personality and with a banging theme. I personally feel Touhou 17 is one of the best games in the series, both in terms of its fantastic OST and in terms of its story and cast, the new setting of Hell and the conflict in it with its incredibly memorable characters made it a great entry in the series and shows that ZUN's not lost his luster for the series at all imo.

Besides, ZUN's said before in an interview that even if Touhou loses it's popularity, he will still continue to make the games because making the series is his passion. I have nothing but immense respect for that attitude and how even when the series was at the peak of it's popularity he didn't once choose to sell-out. I doubt he'll do so in the future either since he seems to be firm with the idea that fan-related content is just fan-related content and that whatever he decides to do with the series will be from his own decisions instead of caving into fan demand, which I thoroughly respect.
I didn't mean the content we are getting. I kinda put it wrong with "losing steam". ZUN is still going strong, stronger than I expected from him as a father of two now. I mean, we just got a new game released in August, two new mangas are now going on... its great that Touhou is still putting out content after so much time without having lost any of its charm.

I meant the popularity. Given, the only empirical data I know of are the yearly popularity polls in Japan, of which the number of votes is steadily decreasing over the years. It doesn't mean anything, I should know that. Still irks me that fewer are people are part of the community, even if those weren't fully "in".

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
ZUN also seems aware that Touhou's popularity is receding somewhat, which is no doubt what's prompted him to begin branching out more aggressively, as discussed in that interview. I still think it's a mistake for the games on Steam to not have English-translated titles; that alone would make a huge difference in terms of accessibility to newcomers, to say nothing of official English translations packaged in from the get-go. Hopefully Toby Fox was able to plant the kernel of that idea in his head when they met.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, its kinda weird that the Touhou games are still solely japanese, when we had, for many years now, able translators for multiple languages that even created an automatic patcher that scans your system and applies translations automatically for all your games.

I know ZUN doesnt speak english but I don't see much harm in making the game more accessible. Pretty sure that the translators would love to support him directly, even unrewarded. (They definitely should be paid, though)

Having to install a patcher, even if it is easy to use, is a real put-off for many people.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, having games without any sign of translation for your country can be really frustrating.

I remember when I bought Ultimate Alliance 1 on the Wii sometime ago, and I got seriously chocked when I saw the game didn’t have any spanish translation at all. Not even the subtitles had other languages for options. The whole game had to be played just in English.

Thankfully my english skills were good enough to not get lost, but the lack of any translation could easily scare some people off with the idea they may be missing key or huge parts of the story by not understanding anything.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I saw this on Twitter and figured to link it here.

The Touhou community really does make some great art. I haven't played any of the games yet, but the fan work has kept me interested in the series and wanting to learn more on my own time.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

The Touhou community really does make some great art. I haven't played any of the games yet, but the fan work has kept me interested in the series and wanting to learn more on my own time.
I think it's safe to say that a lot of people learned about the series through fan content, which is a pretty nice thing, I'd say, especially for people outside of Japan where you can mostly rely on the online communities to find stuff. It's the same case for me, anyway, I've probably mentioned it before but my introduction to Touhou was a side game called MegaMari (which just happened to be developed by the same team who makes the fighters)

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice

The fan art is fantastic. My favorite art of the series are definitely the ones that depict the boss battles/certain spellcards mid-battle, I love that part of the series a lot as well and how ingrained the patterns are to its identity when most shmups tend to go for color/bullet-vomiting for pure difficulty instead.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Touhou has great art, and a great aesthetic in general! That's one of Reimu's biggest assets as a potential newcomer, imo; she's got a great character design which is visually very unique from the rest of the cast.

If you're interested in learning more, I can recommend Luna Nights! It's not official, but its level of presentation is just as good as, if not better than any of the official fighting games. It's about a 4-5 hour Metroidvania that's far more digestible than any of the official games, and a lot of fun to boot. I had a blast playing it.

Rikarte

Smash Ace

If you ever wanna check out other Touhou fan works I can recommend minusT. He's a korean artist who recreates Touhou boss fights in 3D. Just gonna post his newest video here, it's really good!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If you ever wanna check out other Touhou fan works I can recommend minusT. He's a korean artist who recreates Touhou boss fights in 3D. Just gonna post his newest video here, it's really good!
Reimu vs. Marisa is going to be so hype. I can't wait.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Touhou has great art, and a great aesthetic in general! That's one of Reimu's biggest assets as a potential newcomer, imo; she's got a great character design which is visually very unique from the rest of the cast.

If you're interested in learning more, I can recommend Luna Nights! It's not official, but its level of presentation is just as good as, if not better than any of the official fighting games. It's about a 4-5 hour Metroidvania that's far more digestible than any of the official games, and a lot of fun to boot. I had a blast playing it.
But don't fall in love with Sakuya. It's Reimu we are rooting for here. :p

I always find it interesting when people start bashing ZUN as an artist without seeing the whole picture. True, his art from the early games weren't masterpieces with weird colors, broken anatomy and the occasssioanal uncannyness, but not only did he get better over the years, he created so many memorable characters with the tools he had, which is another fundamental part of an artist: creativity.

And yes, there are some seriously talented fan-artists. ke-ta, Hajin, MinusT, Chamji, Kitano, Morino-Hon... and the list just keeps on going.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
But don't fall in love with Sakuya. It's Reimu we are rooting for here. :p

I always find it interesting when people start bashing ZUN as an artist without seeing the whole picture. True, his art from the early games weren't masterpieces with weird colors, broken anatomy and the occasssioanal uncannyness, but not only did he get better over the years, he created so many memorable characters with the tools he had, which is another fundamental part of an artist: creativity.

And yes, there are some seriously talented fan-artists. ke-ta, Hajin, MinusT, Chamji, Kitano, Morino-Hon... and the list just keeps on going.
Honestly, I love ZUN's art for the earlier games (both the PC98 and Windows ones) they have this certain "charm" that's really nice. I do feel that charm has mantained throughout the series, even when you notice the art has gotten better over the years. It's probably been mentioned before, but I'd love to have a "ZUN Reimu" getting in.

Tetrus

Smash Rookie
Our guy Samsora tweets something nice. Not as direct support as Light, but still one of us:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

zferolie

Smash Hero
wait who said all of capcom is out? jesus it really may be some independant company then getting the next slot

Tetrus

Smash Rookie
Seems like it's from this post in a different thread. Apparently this guy is known to be a reliable source for Sabi or something along those lines, so if this is to be believed like the rest, I think we're in for a very very interesting FP5 reveal...

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, if it isn't Reimu at this point (while I still think she's got a far likelier shot outside of the current fighter pass) I just have to wonder who the hell it is? I have one idea that I really don't want, but other than that I don't have a clue on who the final pass fighter might be, which is genuinely exciting. I have to wonder though, does the last fighter pass character have to be someone that the west will recognize since they're showing it at the Game Awards?

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Was already mentioned multiple times but it is unlikely that they made their decision based on the VGA, seeing that the Fighter Pass was set in stone a long time ago. Of course you can plan ahead but I don't believe that it played a major role in Sakurai's chosen roster.

At this point, I don't really have a horse in the race anymore so whoever is fine with me. Even that Fortnite guy, just to see the world burn. I'll play him for a bit and then just have another matchup to learn. That is of course, if the decomfirmations are really true. Reimu's integration would blow my mind and make me really happy but I just don't see it happening.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
A large part of me thinks she's most likely outside the pass, I'd imagine we have a year or so worth of new characters after this pass is over and since the demand for Reimu has increased a fair bit more + that interview with ZUN surfacing, I feel like she's one of the likeliest characters we'll get as far as female pass characters might be. Personally I think she'd be perfect to end the fighter pass since she'd be one of the most varied characters yet in terms of moveset, what genre she's representing, her design, and her inclusion making the pass less of a sausagefest (though I really could care less on representation, I care more about the characters being interesting and fun.)

That said, it does make sense that the trailer being shown at the VGA wouldn't be a huge deciding factor. I will however always be on the optimistic side until Reimu is either hard-deconfirmed or is just shown later down the line as a Mii Costume.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I think Reimu is likely the fighter Sabi and Vergeben are talking about. However, I doubt she is the actual fifth fighter. Sakurai is likely using her as bait to keep the fifth fighter a secret.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I think Reimu is likely the fighter Sabi and Vergeben are talking about. However, I doubt she is the actual fifth fighter. Sakurai is likely using her as bait to keep the fifth fighter a secret.
What are you referring to? Also I sincerely doubt Sakurai would use any character as "bait". Well, aside from Geno which I think isn't in the game yet solely to fuel character speculation.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
What are you referring to?
I’m just stating Sakurai and Namco are likely trolling with the potential leakers over the fifth fighter by using a scape fighter, Reimu, in its place. With the lack of Namco costumes and the hype Sakurai is building up with the fifth fighter, they’re definitely planning something.

Last edited:

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I’m just stating Sakurai and Namco are likely trolling with the potential leakers over the fifth fighter by using a scape fighter, Reimu, in its place. With the lack of Namco costumes, they’re definitely planning something.
That really doesn't make any sense to me. Why would it be Reimu of all characters when she isn't anywhere nearly as highly-requested as characters like Geno, Doomslayer, Sora and so on? Also why would they "bait" with characters they could actually potentially use in the future? Makes no sense from a business perspective.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
That really doesn't make any sense to me. Why would it be Reimu of all characters when she isn't anywhere nearly as highly-requested as characters like Geno, Doomslayer, Sora and so on?
Because Sakurai does whatever he wants.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
How exactly could a fighter be used as "bait"? Either you're developing real game assets or you're not.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
How exactly could a fighter be used as "bait"? Either you're developing real game assets or you're not.
Because Reimu isn’t as big as a deal in comparison to other fighters. I didn’t say they never worked on her at all. She’s likely a post-pass character.

Don't think it works that way. I doubt Sakurai and Nintendo are playing 4D chess with the "leak community" lol
If Sakurai is going to address Pac Man in weird way (and with other things), I doubt that they don’t toy around with information.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I will say that I'm becoming a little skeptical of some of these "deconfirms". This last one sounds pretty "he said, she said" to me. Guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Because Reimu isn’t as big as a deal in comparison to other fighters. I didn’t say they never worked on her at all. She’s likely a post-pass character.

If Sakurai is going to address Pac Man in weird way (and with other things), I doubt that they don’t toy around with information.
I wouldn't say she isn't a big deal compared to them at all, I just find that logic to be really suspect at most since it doesn't work out in terms of business at all, Sakurai isn't a God, Nintendo are the ones who picked the candidates for him to begin with. And that said, Reimu is nothing like a "bait" pick to begin with since there are other much more highly-requested characters like Geno, Sora, Doomslayer, etc. I doubt Nintendo have anything to do with the leaks but it would be funny if they did spread out fake stuff and one of the "deconfirmed" characters got confirmed to tarnish the rep of all the "insider" leakers we currently have. Like I said before, I don't particularly buy it, but we'll just have to see in the end.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I will say that I'm becoming a little skeptical of some of these "deconfirms". This last one sounds pretty "he said, she said" to me. Guess we'll have to wait and find out.
It’s because they have a fighter, however, it’s not the right fighter. The described mii line up makes me suspicious as heck, despite Banjo’s situation (as Banjo is just odd in many ways). The fact the mii line up doesn’t line up with the “fifth character” is weird.

Last edited:

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
Alright! So! In my personal opinion with the amount of crossovers Touhou is getting recently I can say full and well that ZUN is working overtime to keep Touhou alive. Believe me or not but Touhou has been dying for years now. Not very fast, mind you, but its popularity has dipped significantly since back in the day and its still going down. The issues that have lead to this is the lack of marketing and the Touhou fandom's attitude toward newcomers and trying to get into the series. ZUN is more than aware of this and has been trying to speak out with both words and actions, waving flags to tell the Touhou fandom "HEY! GUYS! PULL YOURSELVES TOGETHER!" Knowing these circumstances, it does kind of make sense that ZUN would mention Touhou unprompted in the interview if he wasn't contacted. It's a HUGE siren to let the Touhou fanbase know what he's trying to do and he knows that his word is generally listened to in the fandom. He wants to see change for the better happen in the Touhou fandom and the fanbase (both eastern and western) needed that kick in (for lack of a better word) the noots to get moving and helping this man.

Also, I remember seeing something earlier in this thread about something about the Fighter Ballot results? Or like general placements? I remember seeing Touhou in general ranking high according to the post but I don't remember where it was or if it was legit or not. It kinda stuck with me. Same with that one post about school children in Japan drawing Touhou characters because they like them. One crayon drawing of Eirin really stuck out to me (I kinda want to see the drawing again).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

You can have your own little theories, but don’t come into a character support thread and pretend they’re definitely being used as leakbait and nothing more when you have no evidence.

She could be planned for post-pass, yes, that would be cool, but there’s still nothing saying she’s leakbait and that’d be a weird thing to do if they’re planning to add her anyway.

And “Sakurai does whatever he wants” can also work against your theory.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Alright! So! In my personal opinion with the amount of crossovers Touhou is getting recently I can say full and well that ZUN is working overtime to keep Touhou alive. Believe me or not but Touhou has been dying for years now. Not very fast, mind you, but its popularity has dipped significantly since back in the day and its still going down. The issues that have lead to this is the lack of marketing and the Touhou fandom's attitude toward newcomers and trying to get into the series. ZUN is more than aware of this and has been trying to speak out with both words and actions, waving flags to tell the Touhou fandom "HEY! GUYS! PULL YOURSELVES TOGETHER!" Knowing these circumstances, it does kind of make sense that ZUN would mention Touhou unprompted in the interview if he wasn't contacted. It's a HUGE siren to let the Touhou fanbase know what he's trying to do and he knows that his word is generally listened to in the fandom. He wants to see change for the better happen in the Touhou fandom and the fanbase (both eastern and western) needed that kick in (for lack of a better word) the noots to get moving and helping this man.

Also, I remember seeing something earlier in this thread about something about the Fighter Ballot results? Or like general placements? I remember seeing Touhou in general ranking high according to the post but I don't remember where it was or if it was legit or not. It kinda stuck with me. Same with that one post about school children in Japan drawing Touhou characters because they like them. One crayon drawing of Eirin really stuck out to me (I kinda want to see the drawing again).
I think that post with the crayon drawings was a post from Ayumi Tachibana if you want to look through their posts.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
You can have your own little theories, but don’t come into a character support thread and pretend they’re definitely being used as leakbait and nothing more when you have no evidence.

She could be planned for post-pass, yes, that would be cool, but there’s still nothing saying she’s leakbait and that’d be a weird thing to do if they’re planning to add her anyway.

And “Sakurai does whatever he wants” can also work against your theory.
Think of it as risk and reward. They know a leaker somehow gets their hands on their fighters before release. They definitely don’t want it happening with the fifth fighter in the pass when the trust of big companies are in the line. What they know is that some Nintendo/Namco employees are responsible for the leaks. Like a good fisherman, they have to give them convincing bait they want. After all, they don’t want any fighter besides fighter #5. To screw up leakers like this, it removes a lot of credibility from them. It also makes them less likely to leak stuff out.

As for Reimu, I find the case for her in terms of leaks pretty solid and very unique from other fighters in the smash roster. It’ll be shocking if she doesn’t come into smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom