• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Here's my take on it:

What if it's a general Gensokyo stage, but it's not like Delfino Island or New Donk City Tower? In this case, I'm imagining that it would be more like Yggdrasil's Altar in the sense that the main platform of the stage is traveling across the entirety of Gensokyo, flying past certain locations and showing certain camera angles of certain locations such as the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Shining Needle Castle and the Sanzu River. It would not only showcase the entire world of Gensokyo, the same way Yggdrasil's Altar showed the entirety of Erdrea, but it would satisfy fans who wanted their preferred location to appear in some form.

Last edited:

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
If they’re going to have Yukari play with Gensokyo’s borders, it’d be fun if they showed the normal outside world with Sumireko, Maribel and Renko appearing

Another possibility is... both the shrine and the border gaps. The stage itself is the shrine but yukari opens borders in the background showing different characters and locations, like how magicant works.

Not my favorite idea but could happen if they can’t make it a tour style

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Maribel and Renko would be hard, they live in the future. :p
Maribel could show up at the shrine however, in present time.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Imagine their first appearance in over two decades would be in a Smash game.
And still Shinki gets to wait... :-(

Here's my take on it:

What if it's a general Gensokyo stage, but it's not like Delfino Island or New Donk City Tower? In this case, I'm imagining that it would be more like Yggdrasil's Altar in the sense that the main platform of the stage is traveling across the entirety of Gensokyo, flying past certain locations and showing certain camera angles of certain locations such as the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Shining Needle Castle and the Sanzu River. It would not only showcase the entire world of Gensokyo, the same way Yggdrasil's Altar showed the entirety of Erdrea, but it would satisfy fans who wanted their preferred location to appear in some form.
I... don't actually like traveling stages in the traditional sense, so I'd prefer not to go that route.
Having Yukari open portals and swallowing the stage to relocate it would feel less... tacky?
Could also have her portal in new platforms or 'miss' parts of the stage when relocating it, so that could be neat.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Here's my take on it:

This is why the Seirensen tidbit from the doujin leak is interesting because it gives a perfect avenue to do a stage like this.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Here's my take on it:

I don't think an Yggdrasil's Altar type of stage would work all that well since Touhou doesn't have a canon world map. Yeah, they could piece one together themselves but that wouldn't be true to the source material then. If we get a traveling stage, they should just use Yukari's gaps to port us around instead from flying from location to location.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
To the point of visual spectacle with the Shrine, here's a few (very quick) ideas which would add plenty of spectacle:

- Cycle through some of the more visually iconic incidents in the background while showing their effect on the shrine (red fog darkening the stage, night suddenly appearing with a giant moon, Seirensen flying in the background along with some UFOs, the seasons going nuts) while the usual suspects hanging out at the shrine react
- Flower viewing party featuring a bunch of characters with the cherry blossoms in full bloom
- Danmaku fireworks festival (like in Usami's grimoire)

No possible stage works better than the Hakurei Shrine for gathering a bunch of characters for background cameos, because everyone canonically hangs out there.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Doujin leak sounds bull**** because the leaker himself was actively theorycrafting and fantasizing based on what he has heared. Just like the same situation as Fatmanonice in the Geno thread.
The main rumor of this whole doujin leak is fairly simple. Doujin circle Blank Koubou known for Touhou orchestrals is composing Touhou remixes for Smash. The music list is just a side thing he got he used for his theorycrafts or fantasies.
I think this is partly my fault, but people jumped on that music list and the image too quickly.
One thing people need to realize is that the rumor never said Reimu is coming to Smash and the leaker even admits that and he thinks other miscellaneous rumors are 70% fake.
The leaker only speculates she will be a playable character due to the amount of music he heard. But the main rumor is just saying that a certain Touhou doujin circle is working for smash remix(es), there is sitll high possibility of Sans situation too.
The leaker said he's just a random doujin creater happens to publish Touhou doujinshi here and there but he has friends in Touhou music doujin circles.
The image he posted was just to show how doujin circles are lenient with secrets.
No it would be my fault. I was the one that pieced together the timing of different hints along with the rumors and the song list together to create the backbone of the doujin leak infograph. I jumped on the possibility that Reimu could be the fifth fighter which is why i posted the initial summary timeline in the first place. Also was curious whether or not the initial rumors lined up with Sakurai announcing the DLC fighters were decided and was surprised it does. While the song list may be speculation by the leaker, however, it does add to the possibility that we will get Touhou content soon. I still believe that Touhou will get a fighter rep within the next year especially for #5 with the amount of deconfirms that have been happening, yet Reimu hasn't been deconfirmed once.

Still appreciate you translating the leaker's posts, while you did provide the information, i still decided to jump on it quickly. Because of how quickly i jumped on it, i admit it was my fault and willing to accept responsibility for it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
there is nothing wrong with going on that leak at all. who cares if it turns out fake. no need to put ourselves down. its not over till its over.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
there is nothing wrong with going on that leak at all. who cares if it turns out fake. no need to put ourselves down. its not over till its over.
Amen. Whether the leak is fake or true, we've still got the entirety of the 2nd pass and the possibility of more DLC after that, there's all the time and chances in the world that our girl will get in. Have hope.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The big elephant in the room for me isn't the doujin leak, but the March interview. Obviously, the big wham line is ZUN wanting Touhou in Smash, but why choose to wait seven months just to publish it? There's nothing wrong with immediately publishing an interview where a developer says they want to have a character in Smash.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The big elephant in the room for me isn't the doujin leak, but the March interview. Obviously, the big wham line is ZUN wanting Touhou in Smash, but why choose to wait seven months just to publish it? There's nothing wrong with immediately publishing an interview where a developer says they want to have a character in Smash.
I guess the guy was in a middle of a interview for smash.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I heard someone say that the site itself was only launched recently, but I can't confirm that myself.

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
The March interview is actually what makes me doubt Reimu is fighter 5 or any character decided by then the most. Leaks are one thing, but something directly from ZUN is something else. In the end, it does have to go through ZUN at some point. If he was on an NDA it would probably be more realistic that he would try to avoid mentioning Smash altogether instead of even phrasing it the way he did. He could have said everything else he said about his plans for Touhou and just not mentioned Smash, and things would seem more favorable for Reimu.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
The domain itself is roughly 2 months old so yeah, the site was only launched recently. Here is the Interview if anyones interested.

And yes, from the interview and how its worded, Reimu's chances are slim. Some part of me wishes that its his way of telling us that she is coming but can't directly state it, only mention the name Smash but lets be real its just my bias coming through. Most likely just a genuine remark and one of the smoking guns going against Reimu.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Eh, I really wouldn't read into it either way. Remember, Kirkhope made a similar statement despite already knowing Banjo was in. Somebody under an NDA has to act like somebody not under an NDA, so there's no point trying to parse it.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Very optimistic speaking, the interview was may be his way of damage controlling without violating an NDA.
I mean, a bunch of old Touhou fans were not liking recent Touhou appearance on main streams, but that interview did actually change their views a bit. I was lurking on Futaba and Twitter, and realized that the word of the head priest is pretty strong.
During the interview, ZUN brings up several times about Touhou Police and how he feels about them. At the very last part of the interview ZUN said, "If I use my recent favorite phrasing, Touhou is now out in the wild". Through the interview, I got a very strong impression of him saying "it's time to move on already".
When Canonball released, watching Touhou ads on TV was quite something.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Very optimistic speaking, the interview was may be his way of damage controlling without violating an NDA.
I mean, a bunch of old Touhou fans were not liking recent Touhou appearance on main streams, but that interview did actually change their views a bit. I was lurking on Futaba and Twitter, and realized that the word of the head priest is pretty strong.
During the interview, ZUN brings up several times about Touhou Police and how he feels about them. At the very last part of the interview ZUN said, "If I use my recent favorite phrasing, Touhou is now out in the wild". Through the interview, I got a very strong impression of him saying "it's time to move on already".
Some touhou fans were mad about this? Why?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
They ran TV ads? That's pretty neat. Smash aside, I wonder what else (if anything) he might have in the works.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Some touhou fans were mad about this? Why?
This is to do with doujin/otaku culture itself.
Back in the day, otaku bashing was really intense so they learned not to go into the daylight. Old otaku are very aware of themselves and what they are doing, they hate to be exposed in the main streams. Doujin goes the same. May be doujin is more strict about this. Doujin literally means groups of comrades. There was (and still is for some of them) unspoken rule not to get out from their hidings. If one goes out, everything will be exposed and trampled by the outsiders. That's their most fear. It's not only thing in doujin but in every small social communities around the world, however due to the history of otaku bashing, to put it simply, they are all traumatized on a serious level. Touhou is heavily tied with doujin culture, and ZUN himself wasn't aggressive for that, so this tendency is not minor.
Getting more praise is a happy thing, but they also feel guilty for that. I think most of old otaku from every genre are like that. I think that was before E3 of this year, but remember even Sakurai said he feels apologetic for making Smash? Of course he didn't mean it serious, but this kind of attitude is mostly coming from the history of otaku bashing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is to do with doujin/otaku culture itself.
Back in the day, otaku bashing was really intense so they learned not to go into the daylight. Old otaku are very aware of themselves and what they are doing, they hate to be exposed in the main streams. Doujin goes the same. May be doujin is more strict about this. Doujin literally means groups of comrades. There was (and still is for some of them) unspoken rule not to get out from their hidings. If one goes out, everything will be exposed and trampled by the outsiders. That's their most fear. It's not only thing in doujin but in every small social communities around the world, however due to the history of otaku bashing, to put it simply, they are all traumatized on a serious level. Touhou is heavily tied with doujin culture, and ZUN himself wasn't aggressive for that, so this tendency is not minor.
Getting more praise is a happy thing, but they also feel guilty for that. I think most of old otaku from every genre are like that. I think that was before E3 of this year, but remember even Sakurai said he feels apologetic for making Smash? Of course he didn't mean it serious, but this kind of attitude is mostly coming from the history of otaku bashing.
Yeah, it is basically my experience as a Dragon Quest fan on the internet too.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I disagree completely with ZUN mentioning Smash Bros being a sign of deconfirmation. If anything I think it's the opposite, nothing he said could violate NDA I'd imagine (since more or less wasn't what he said along the lines of "I want to see Reimu in other games like Smash Brothers, but I can't get that by simply wishing about it"?) and we had a very similar run-in with Grant Kirkhope telling people not to get their hopes up for anything Banjo & Kazooie related in regards to Smash Bros at E3 which people also took as a deconfirmation- which we all now know how that turned out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I disagree completely with ZUN mentioning Smash Bros being a sign of deconfirmation. If anything I think it's the opposite, nothing he said could violate NDA I'd imagine and we had a very similar run-in with Grant Kirkhope telling people not to get their hopes up for anything Banjo & Kazooie related in regards to Smash Bros at E3 which people also took as a deconfirmation- which we all now know how that turned out.
I disagree too, to be quiet honest.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Some people are always mad, no matter the fanbase. There are Touhou fans that would hate to see Reimu in Smash.
I personally will never understand this mindset. I don't even see the argument of "If Touhou gets shown to more mainstream audiences it will lose its luster/the fanbase will be ruined!" both of which just seem like really moot points to me because A. the western fanbase has absolutely 0 affect on Touhou and neither does the Japanese fanbase to a large degree, if it did we'd be seeing Flandre Scarlet in every mainline game and ZUN would be bowing down to fan expectation, which he never has, which in turn is what keeps the series so fresh, enjoyable and unpredictable. And B. the western fanbase has never particularly been great to begin with, besides the series puts challenging gameplay on the front-line, I sincerely doubt it'd be super easy for most people to get into the series through the mainlines.

And even then, what is wrong with exposing the series to newer audiences? Touhou is my favorite series in general, the whole reason I want Reimu in Smash is so more people can get to learn of ZUN and appreciate his outstanding effort through his passion project with Touhou. Reimu getting into Smash would not only get more people aware of the legend himself but it'd make it a lot easier to get more and more of my friends and other people who haven't heard much about Touhou/haven't heard enough to get interested in giving the series a shot a much bigger means of doing so. That's all I can ask for.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, some people need to let others want what they want.

There should not be problem with people wanting Reimu in Smash, whether it makes the series mainstream or not.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Touhou's inclusion in Smash would shine significantly more light on the series and open it to more opportunities to boost it's brand.
Fanbases in general will inevitably be prone to bad arguments, disagreements, and toxicity. Some are worse than others, but I'd argue that Smash and Touhou's fandoms are quite tame in this regard.

As for the interview, I feel that Zun was reflective of Kirkhope (as others have mentioned here) and attempted to be indirect with fans as a way to solidify attention towards that character, but not directly assert something as big as a Smash inclusion.

His words make me feel that he's wanted Touhou in Smash for quite some time, and that it would fulfill his desire of introducing the series to larger audiences.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Didn't Kirkhope legit not know Banjo was in and only put two and two together after he was told what kind of music to compose? Like they brought him in thinking he would be composing something else entirely?

Unless I'm wrong there, it's a different situation than the straight up creator of the game being involved. Could still be a lie though of course.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Didn't Kirkhope legit not know Banjo was in and only put two and two together after he was told what kind of music to compose? Like they brought him in thinking he would be composing something else entirely?

Unless I'm wrong there, it's a different situation than the straight up creator of the game being involved. Could still be a lie though of course.
Yep, he didn't know until they told him what music he was composing for.

I was just thinking guys, Reimu getting in would be like the closest thing to Kikyo from Inuyasha getting in because of both being shrine maidens and such.

Kikyo is my favorite character or my 2nd favorite character in that show.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

He was still tweeting stuff like that directly before E3 though, IIRC, at which point he must have known, right?

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
He was still tweeting stuff like that directly before E3 though, IIRC, at which point he must have known, right?
His responses to the people coming back to that tweet after E3 also seem to point towards him having known that Banjo was going to be in, it was a cute way of setting the fans up.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
His responses to the people coming back to that tweet after E3 also seem to point towards him having known that Banjo was going to be in, it was a cute way of setting the fans up.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's the same with ZUN. It's like an indirect hint more or less.

And to think Touhou hasn't even been deconfirmed in the slightest yet.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
あとは、いろんなゲームに「東方」のキャラクターが出て、勝手に「東方」が有名になっていってほしいです。だから『スマブラ』に出たい(笑)。でもそれは、僕が思っていても実現するものではないので。

Additionally, I want Touhou characters to exist in other games as a convinient way to make Touhou more popular. Due to that I want them to appear in Smash (laughs). That said, I can't make it true just by thinking about it.
Source

My translation might be a bit rough but thats the gist of it.

Last edited:

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Source

My translation might be a bit rough but thats the gist of it.
Yeah, nothing about this seems to deconfirm Reimu's chances. If anything, optimistically looking at it, the "I can't make it true just by thinking about it" part seems much more like a possible hint that he might've actually done something in relation to her getting into the game.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
My problem with that Zun quote is it was unprompted. Every other developer that's played coy over a Smash character getting in had to be asked first before it was brought up. Whether that means something or not, I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah, nothing about this seems to deconfirm Reimu's chances. If anything, optimistically looking at it, the "I can't make it true just by thinking about it" part seems much more like a possible hint that he might've actually done something in relation to her getting into the game.
I wouldn't consider it a hint. It is simply him stating a fact. Touhou won't appear in other games if he just sits on his ass. Though, It's statements like that and a statement he said earlier this year or late last year that Touhou may go in a direction that fans may not like. If anything, he's weening the fanbase into accepting something more mainstream and we've gotten two Gacha games since then. Who knows what the future holds.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Touhou Fortnite skins and integrated lootboxes in Touhou 18 - Phenominal Crates of Curiosity.
The future is now old man.

On a more serious note: its no secret that Touhou has lost its steam over the years. As long as it doesn't lose what got me into Touhou in the first place, I won't complain. And even then, my opinion doesn't matter if ZUN has another vision for the series.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Touhou Fortnite skins and integrated lootboxes in Touhou 18 - Phenominal Crates of Curiosity.
The future is now old man.

On a more serious note: its no secret that Touhou has lost its steam over the years. As long as it doesn't lose what got me into Touhou in the first place, I won't complain. And even then, my opinion doesn't matter if ZUN has another vision for the series.
I personally don't think Touhou's lost its steam at all. Unless you mean in terms of popularity, in which case yeah I agree, though I wouldn't say that's a bad thing since most of the people who jumped ship were people who bandwagonned off of old memes and then jumped to the next hot thing with cute girls (KanColle, the sleu of gacha games, etc). I'd argue in terms of series quality Touhou's not dipped at all. Touhou 16 had a very fun that felt reminiscent of the earlier Touhou titles, Antimony of Common Flowers was genuinely fun to play, the gimmick was sweet, and the new additions to the roster were great, especially Shion and Jo'on being characters chock full of personality and with a banging theme. I personally feel Touhou 17 is one of the best games in the series, both in terms of its fantastic OST and in terms of its story and cast, the new setting of Hell and the conflict in it with its incredibly memorable characters made it a great entry in the series and shows that ZUN's not lost his luster for the series at all imo.

Besides, ZUN's said before in an interview that even if Touhou loses it's popularity, he will still continue to make the games because making the series is his passion. I have nothing but immense respect for that attitude and how even when the series was at the peak of it's popularity he didn't once choose to sell-out. I doubt he'll do so in the future either since he seems to be firm with the idea that fan-related content is just fan-related content and that whatever he decides to do with the series will be from his own decisions instead of caving into fan demand, which I thoroughly respect.

Top Bottom