• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Isn't the game releasing on the 12th? And the VGA are on the 13th. Are there some timezone shenanigans going on or what am I missing?

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
Well, again. It probably would mean nothing either way. It’s a fan game. Nintendo probably views them like any other indie game and there are a ton of indie games on the Switch. Even then, so many things come out at seemingly “interesting” times that it’s better to not assume stuff like that.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well, again. It probably would mean nothing either way. It’s a fan game. Nintendo probably views them like any other indie game and there are a ton of indie games on the Switch. Even then, so many things come out at seemingly “interesting” times that it’s better to not assume stuff like that.
Yeah, fan game releases mean absolutely nothing. Has there ever been a DLC character in either Ultimate or Smash 4 whose announcement was directly tied to the reveal of some associated game? I don't think even Corrin went that far.

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Holy hell. The past few days have been an absolute massacre.

It started wih Nintendo deconfirming RE reps by Spiriting them, then Sabi and Vergeben went "so anyways I started blasting"

It's been like Friday the 13th on Elm Street...Lloyd...Dante...Crash...even Geno...

...which, fortunately, means our shrine maiden might just get in after all.

D

Deleted member

Holy hell. The past few days have been an absolute massacre.

It started wih Nintendo deconfirming RE reps by Spiriting them, then Sabi and Vergeben went "so anyways I started blasting"

It's been like Friday the 13th on Elm Street...Lloyd...Dante...Crash...even Geno...

...which, fortunately, means our shrine maiden might just get in after all.
I wouldn't bet on Reimu solely. If big names are being deconfirmed, then most probably it'll be a niche pick. And niche pick is synonymous with Reimu. But there are many others...

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Hang on, I heard from the Geno thread the guy behind the doujin leak confessed to it being fake.

Is this true?

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
The Doujin leak probably is fake, but I haven’t heard that yet. Closest is probably the Yukari-Arsene thing being confessed as a fantasy.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Hang on, I heard from the Geno thread the guy behind the doujin leak confessed to it being fake.

Is this true?
No, pretty sure it's never been disconfirmed. Probably mixed it up with that Yukari rumour or something. Still, I think Doujin rumour is 95% fake anyway.

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
OK, it wasn't deconfirmed then.

Also, I figured out the best way for Marisa to be in Smash:as an Assist Trophy.

When summoned, she'd fly to a random area, then blast either Master Spark or Meteoric Shower.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Doujin leak sounds bull**** because the leaker himself was actively theorycrafting and fantasizing based on what he has heared. Just like the same situation as Fatmanonice in the Geno thread.
The main rumor of this whole doujin leak is fairly simple. Doujin circle Blank Koubou known for Touhou orchestrals is composing Touhou remixes for Smash. The music list is just a side thing he got he used for his theorycrafts or fantasies.

Last edited:

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Doujin leak sounds bull**** because the leaker himself was actively theorycrafting and fantasizing based on what he has heared. Just like the same situation as Fatmanonice in the Geno thread.
The main rumor of this whole doujin leak is fairly simple. Doujin circle Blank Koubou known for Touhou orchestrals is composing Touhou remixes for Smash. The music list is just a side thing he got he used for his theorycrafts or fantasies.
I personally find the theorycrafting on his end and the leaked image he posted of the concept art for Touhou 17.5 to in an odd sense make his position as a possible worker for Tasofro seem far more valid. Have to take every leak with a pinch of salt after the Grinch Leak but out of all the current leaks and "insider info" I still stand that the doujin leak has the strongest leg to stand on, admittedly it isn't much, but it's still a lot more than what the other characters have (aside from Doom Guy/Geno thanks to that mii costume video imo.)

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
So for the Geno thread to fully dismiss the Reimu leak, they would also need to question the word of Fatman, who has more or less been doing the same exact thing in support of Geno. Talk about the ultimate irony.

Last edited:

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
It’s possible he could be part of or have relations to Tasofro, but there’s still the matter of connecting Doujin circles to Smash. That’s not verifiable and we can’t know they’re telling the truth even if they do have connections to Doujin circles.

D

Deleted member

Leaks being real or not, I’m still positive about Reimu in general.

She may or may not be Fighter 5, but I feel she can still happen for non-Pass DLC anyway.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
It’s possible he could be part of or have relations to Tasofro, but there’s still the matter of connecting Doujin circles to Smash. That’s not verifiable and we can’t know they’re telling the truth even if they do have connections to Doujin circles.
That's the stinger I'd imagine, if he had definitive proof it'd make the leak seem strong enough to almost seem properly valid I'd argue. Considering Tasofro have had contrast with numerous doujin circles for the Touhou fighters however (in ULiL and AoCF when they basically allowed doujin circles to compose remixes for the character themes of the game) and that the Tasofro leaker seemed confident enough to partially namedrop one of the circles working on it, I do think the leak has a lot more credence to it from circumstantial evidence than all the current ones so far. Nothing concrete, but people have definitely slept hard on the leak, makes a lot of sense still why people like Sabi and Verge have been dead silent on Reimu as well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So for the Geno thread to fully dismiss the Reimu leak, they would also need to question the word of Fatman, who has more or less been doing the same exact thing in support of Geno. Talk about the ultimate irony.
I don't think that is a focus of the thread, especially since info about the leak was just misinformed to some there. Also, Fatman has retired from the insider circle as of today, so that is a thing.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I think this is partly my fault, but people jumped on that music list and the image too quickly.
One thing people need to realize is that the rumor never said Reimu is coming to Smash and the leaker even admits that and he thinks other miscellaneous rumors are 70% fake.
The leaker only speculates she will be a playable character due to the amount of music he heard. But the main rumor is just saying that a certain Touhou doujin circle is working for smash remix(es), there is sitll high possibility of Sans situation too.

Last edited:

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I think this is partly my fault, but people jumped on that music list and the image too quickly.
One thing people need to realize is that the rumor never said Reimu is coming to Smash and the leaker even admits that and he thinks other miscellaneous rumors are 70% fake.
The leaker only speculates she will be a playable character due to the amount of music he heard. But the main rumor is just saying that a certain Touhou doujin circle is working for smash remix(es), there is sitll high possibility of Sans situation too.
The only reason I don't really see her now ending up as a Sans-like situation as a mii costume is that Nakoruru being in as a costume would make a Reimu mii costume feel sort of redundant more or less? Still, I can't think of anything else the amount of music could point to, I presume the miscellaneous rumors were mostly things that were referenced in his theorycrafting, unless Nintendo plan on having another album composed or released for that one 3DS game.

Also thanks a ton for keeping up with us and for clarifying a lot about the 2ch leak in general, you've done a ton of great work in regards to all this so don't beat yourself up about how the speculation's grown and shifted.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
The leaker said he's just a random doujin creater happens to publish Touhou doujinshi here and there but he has friends in Touhou music doujin circles.
The image he posted was just to show how doujin circles are lenient with secrets.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think Reimu has a good shot, and I am leaning towards the final fighter in the pass to maybe be an Indie. Its the only thing not "deconfirmed" yet

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
I still don’t find the leak believable but I actually don’t think this stuff hurts it. I’d find it more suspicious if it said for certain she was going to be a playable character. And I’m still not really convinced they would give more than one song for a Sans situation yet. I figure Toby actually would be pretty lenient with letting Sakurai have Undertale songs.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
It would be absolutely bizarre if Touhou was getting 30+ songs for a mii costume. I imagine Toby would have given Sakurai the whole Undertale soundtrack if he/Nintendo let him, but I guess that's too valuable for $0.75. Not sure why it would be a different situation with Zun.

gavtel

Smash Cadet
I've been lurking on this thread for a while (before the Reimu leaks started building up) and do hope for Reimu to make it in, whether as fighter 5 or down the line (please add me to the supporters list). With all the deconfirmations, she's looking a BIT more likely but I have to point out that there's still competition in the form of Konami getting another rep (Capcom got a rep in the main game and DLC for Smash 4 so I wouldn't rule that possibility out). In addition, there's some evidence in the Contra duo getting in due to Stubbins releasing plushies of them that don't match any prior design exactly (they're more based on the sprites than any concept art but even then, it would be a mish-mash of sprites because Bill has his cigarette in his mouth (which may also imply it isn't for Smash. as it may raise the age rating and Snake didn't have his cigarettes)), much like they did with Banjo before he was released (PapaGenos had a video up mentioning it as evidence in Banjo's favour back then).

Edit: Here's the Twitter comment with the image of the plushies, for those curious: https://twitter.com/The_Stubbins/status/1138877185995894789

tl;dr - Don't rule out Konami in speculation over Fighter 5, as Capcom got a DLC rep in Smash 4, despite having a rep in the base game. While Reimu has better odds now (and as such, many of us Touhou fans have higher hopes for her to get in), Contra is also a possibility for Fighter 5.

Last edited:

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
I think most of us here acknowledge that Reimu still isn’t very likely. I still think Vic Viper from Gradius might be another viable Konami rep.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It would be absolutely bizarre if Touhou was getting 30+ songs for a mii costume. I imagine Toby would have given Sakurai the whole Undertale soundtrack if he/Nintendo let him, but I guess that's too valuable for $0.75. Not sure why it would be a different situation with Zun.
Touhou getting 30+ songs just for a costume would be disappointing, but also so funny that I couldn't even be mad.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
Should Touhou be represented with a fighter and stage, I’d hope particularly that the Touhou stage be tournament legal so the soundtrack can be heard on streams. But even if it isn’t I wouldn’t complain because it would be beautiful anyway

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Should Touhou be represented with a fighter and stage, I’d hope particularly that the Touhou stage be tournament legal so the soundtrack can be heard on streams. But even if it isn’t I wouldn’t complain because it would be beautiful anyway
Which gets me thinking: would the stage be Hakurei Shrine or Scarlet Devil Mansion or something else? The former two are really popular amongst the franchise, and have a lot of potential for being either on par with Yggdrasil's Altar at worst, or flatout legal all around.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Which gets me thinking: would the stage be Hakurei Shrine or Scarlet Devil Mansion or something else? The former two are really popular amongst the franchise, and have a lot of potential for being either on par with Yggdrasil's Altar at worst, or flatout legal all around.
Anything but the Hakurei Shrine would be a mistake, IMO. The Shrine is the center of gravity of the Touhou universe, where most incidents start and end, the home of the protagonist, and by far the most visually iconic location in Touhou.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
We are getting Reimu so Hakurei Shrine is a safe pick. The Scarlet Devil Mansion would be a weird pick without any of them in the game.

I also hope that we get some audience characters like we have in past fighter games, though it would be a retread as we already got that on the KoF stage.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I mean, in a sense, we did get that with Mementos too, so...
Right, almost forgot about that. Might be Sakurai's way of including as many characters as possible. Pretty sure the man would love to have everyone, truly everyone in smash but is unfortunately limited by his (and his teams) mortal limits.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The Hakurei Shrine is the obvious, yet boring answer.

Shining Needle Castle, Bhava Agra, or Eientei would be a lot more interesting, honestly.

So a generic "Gensokyo" stage that has Yukari warp the battlefield to different locations would be the best option, IMO.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Shining Needle Castle, Bhava Agra, or Eientei would be a lot more interesting, honestly.

So a generic "Gensokyo" stage that has Yukari warp the battlefield to different locations would be the best option, IMO.
What's boring about the shrine? It's the focal point of the entire series & perfectly represents the protagonist.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman

Boring for us fans maybe but for newcomers? Sure, the other places are more interesting then some shrine but without any context, it would come off as unfitting for the character... kinda. Guess I'm biased in that statement.

A stage switch would be cool however I tend to dislike stage switches or the background changing a lot. Kind of distracting.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Personally, the Shrine is by far my favorite location in the series (although you could probably tell that already, haha). I don't think it's boring at all.

You could make a case for a stage switch for pretty much any newcomer, since most games have tons of locations, but most don't end up getting switching stages.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Personally, the Shrine is by far my favorite location in the series (although you could probably tell that already, haha). I don't think it's boring at all.

You could make a case for a stage switch for pretty much any newcomer, since most games have tons of locations, but most don't end up getting switching stages.
I love the shrine as well. My favorite stage in the fighters with how beautiful it is depicted. Then again, I can understand why people wouldn't prefer it with other alternatives being possible.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
What's boring about the shrine? It's the focal point of the entire series & perfectly represents the protagonist.
It's... a Shrine...
For laziness sake, I'll just quote an old post of mine for reference pictures.

There are plenty of options:

etc.

Hell, the stage could be a Gensoukyou tour where Yukari portals the entire stage and everyone on it to various locations rather than it being a traditional travelling stage.

Outside of the Moriya Shrine, Kourindou, and potentially Youkai Mountain, any of the others would feel more interesting.

The Hakurei Shrine may be most fitting for Reimu, but it lacks spectacle. You could bolster it a bit with appearances from Suika, Mima, Genji, Marisa, Aya, etc. But it's still going to feel like picking "Protagonist's House" as a Pokemon stage.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The thing that makes me doubt a Sans situation is the music of Touhou itself. If you ask 10 Undertale fans to name 1 music track to be in Smash then 9 times out of 10 you'll get Megalovania. It makes sense in that regard and attributing it to a sans costume is easy. You ask the same thing to 10 touhou fans and you'll get 10 different answers, and very few of them would work as a package deal with a Reimu costume. On that end, I don't particularly fear a Sans situation as much as I did before.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It's... a Shrine...
For laziness sake, I'll just quote an old post of mine for reference pictures.

Outside of the Moriya Shrine, Kourindou, and potentially Youkai Mountain, any of the others would feel more interesting.

The Hakurei Shrine may be most fitting for Reimu, but it lacks spectacle. You could bolster it a bit with appearances from Suika, Mima, Genji, Marisa, Aya, etc. But it's still going to feel like picking "Protagonist's House" as a Pokemon stage.
That's pretty reductive though. We could just as easily say "SDM is just a mansion", or "Eientei is just a Japanese mansion", or "Bhava Agra is just some rocks".

In any case, what's boring about a shrine? I don't think there's any stages in-game already which are Shinto shrines, so it'd be completely unique. If you're concerned with visual diversity, it'd be child's play to add in some spectacular scenery in the background (although I'm of the already-voiced opinion that stages whose backgrounds are too busy can be distracting).

Regarding the Pokemon comparison, this doesn't quite work imo, because the Shrine is heavily featured throughout all of the print works whereas the protagonist's house is just some place that they leave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom