• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
That Phoenix Wright one is probably fake. They’ll probably just look at whatever next leak that gains enough traction and investigate that character. The Doujin Rumor will probably be not be looked into because it largely lies outside the scope of most Smash things. The Cat one might be investigated if no bigger ones come up.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
For KOS-MOS, I believe we already have an arsenal loaded android (Mega Man) while we haven't yet gotten a shrine maiden like Reimu.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
How has Lloyd been deconfirmed? Was there some new news or something?

Also I still honestly think people are sleeping too hard on the doujin leak, there's enough circumstantial evidence for it to seem far more plausible than the usual word-of-mouth "insider" leaks. It'd be far harder to prove or disprove as well because as said before, it's reasonable to presume the teams that could know about Reimu's inclusion are far smaller because of the unique nature of the property coming from 1 individual and (if the leak is true) a small Japanese company. The uniqueness of the circumstances is what gives me more faith in that leak than most because of the unique DNA situation for all those involved in Reimu's possible development. It sure as hell seems a smidge more believable than all the other text leaks imo.

That said though, my money's on KOSMOS for the next fighter, either that or one of the previously "deconfirmed" characters because I still just have a hard time believing most of the apparent insiders to begin with.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
I love the PC-98 games. Still boot them up sometimes. The older ones are kind of slow n janky but towards the end it really feels like Touhou. And Phantasmagoria of Dim Dream is super fun (we need another Phantasmagoria ZUN!! Could you imagine playing PvP online on the Switch???)

At this point, would it be too crazy to reveal both #5 and the first post-pass character? I’m not banking on another VGA reveal although it’s possible.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Mystic Square is surprisingly polished and a fantastic last entry for the PC98 series. Fantastic music (Alice in Wonderland and Grimoire of Alice are so darn good), Mima (Whenever she'll come back) and Yuuka as playables and Shinkis fight was hype as hell. And compared to Lotus Land Story the gameplay felt a lot better.

On the other hand, PC98 can come off as a bit weird if you only know the Windows entries. The majority of characters didn't reappear for windows, Marisa with short, red hair only to return as a blonde in the next entry and not to forget Reimu's neon pink hair and change in personality. She couldn't even fly without her trusty turtle, Genji.
Even the canonicity is weird. PC98 is its own canon... kinda and kinda not. The worlds are clearly different with enemies, technology and inhabitants. But then we have references like Yuuka and Marisa clearly knowing each before the events of PoFV or the playable cast already being familiar with Makai in UFO. Even ZUN didn't answer clearly on canonicity debate.

Regarding the second fighter pass: I can see it being announced on a bigger scale at the VGA but without revealing any characters. Though, two reveals would be pretty nifty. Also a potential punch in the gut when the next two characters are both ones that I don't care about.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I have a big soft spot for the PC-98 games. HrTP has a very underrated and fantastic OST especially, I think the PC-98 games have some real charm to them as well. Also the music ****ing bops, Yumemi's theme is one of my favorite Touhou tracks in general. Also End of Daylight is h n g.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Can someone please add me to the list of supporters? I love the Touhou series a lot, and I feel that Reimu would be extremely enticing.

Not to mention it's incredible soundtrack would fit so well in Smash.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It may be a weird game, but "Highly Responsive to Prayers" is by far my favorite game title. Something about it is so funny to me.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
The PC-98 character I'd like to see come back the most is probably Genjii, and even if just as a cameo in the manga. I miss turtle grandpa.
Also fun fact: The first Touhou character I've ever seen was YuugenMagan. This is why, to this day, I still have a weird affection to this bizarre bunch of eyes.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
ZUN has actually stated in an interview that Genji is probably living somewhere in the pond behind the shrine. Its sad that he didn't even get a cameo or something but then again, he had to deal with that noisy shrine maiden for long enough. I'd say let him rest.

I miss old Reimu. The only character that didn't shy away from yuri innuendo.
Then again, she did had to repent for her sins. (if the player did bad)

Also fun fact: The first Touhou character I've ever seen was YuugenMagan. This is why, to this day, I still have a weird affection to this bizarre bunch of eyes.
Really? In what context did that happen if I may ask? Probably one of the obscurest characters compared to the rest of the cast. The usual "first contacts" are the famous Youtube songs (Flandre with U.N. owen was her? or Sakuya with Night of Nights) or if some weebs bring up Reimu for Smash again for the nth time.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
ZUN has actually stated in an interview that Genji is probably living somewhere in the pond behind the shrine. Its sad that he didn't even get a cameo or something but then again, he had to deal with that noisy shrine maiden for long enough. I'd say let him rest.

I miss old Reimu. The only character that didn't shy away from yuri innuendo.
Then again, she did had to repent for her sins. (if the player did bad)

Really? In what context did that happen if I may ask? Probably one of the obscurest characters compared to the rest of the cast. The usual "first contacts" are the famous Youtube songs (Flandre with U.N. owen was her? or Sakuya with Night of Nights) or if some weebs bring up Reimu for Smash again for the nth time.
It was in 2010 and I just discovered this one Let's Player playing Touhoumon (Pokemon Fire Red rom hack). Now I had no idea what Touhou was and instead of starting with part 1 like a normal person would I just picked a random video which happened to be the Moltres fight who, in this game, got replaced with YuugenMagan.
When looking up HRtP years later after getting into Touhou I just went OOOOOOO after reaching stage 10, haha.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think I made a pretty good moveset for Reimu based on the Touhou games I've played.

Unique Mechanic #1: Grazing: Reimu has two hurtboxes. Her primary hurtbox, the size of a White Pikmin, is at the center of her entire model and any damage and knockback she takes from being hit there is doubled. (A fully charged Flare Blade would deal 100% damage instead of the usual 50%.) However, her secondary hurtbox, encompassing the rest of her body and surrounding her primary hurtbox, is different: all attacks that only hit the secondary hurtbox are treated as if they're parried, nullifying all damage and knockback that would have been dealt.
Unique Mechanic #2: Flying: Reimu's secondary jump is entirely replaced with the ability to fly. In this state, she can fly for twice as long as Peach/Daisy's Floating, but she can only access her aerials for that duration. Additionally, should Reimu move two Bowsers away from the point where she started flying, whether it be from moving with the joystick or using attacks that propel her in a direction, the flying will automatically deactivate. Reimu cannot access this flying until she lands on the ground.

Jab: A double slap and a kick. Based on her 5AAA from Scarlet Weather Rhapsody.

F-tilt: A forwards jab with her gohei. Has good range and has a sour spot on the paper frills at the end.

U-tilt: Reimu jumps upwards with both feet outstretched above her, giving this move some good range.

D-tilt: Reimu twirls her gohei in front of her. Similar to Palutena’s D-tilt, but hits multiple times.

Dash Attack: Jabs forwards with a single palm strike. While not dealing as much damage as one might think, it’s got good hitstun and is good as a combo starter.

Grab: Reimu holds the opponent in place with an amulet. For her pummel, she whacks them over the head with her gohei.

F-throw: Reimu launches the opponent with both her palms.

D-throw: Reimu jumps up and jabs her gohei on top of the opponent.

B-throw: Reimu flies behind the opponent and fires a barrage of needles that build up before she releases a large amulet that launches the opponent.

U-throw: Reimu channels power into the amulet, creating a rising pillar that launches the opponent upwards.

N-air: Reimu pokes her gohei forward, the end adorned with an amulet. This is a downwards-aimed N-air similar to the likes of Ryu, Ken and Terry.

F-air: Reimu flies forwards with a kick that deals some decent damage and can be used for evasion.

D-air: Reimu releases a powerful downwards palm that deals a meteor strike at the center of the move, and has a windbox surrounding it.

B-air: Reimu whirls her gohei behind her. This has good range, meaning it’s safe to attack with, but it doesn’t deal as much damage and isn’t a good kill tool.

U-air: A fiery crescent kick over her. Based on her Ascension Kick from the fighting games.

Side Smash: Reimu reels back and lunges forwards with both her palms, covering some good distance along the ground.

Up Smash: Reimu raises a palm above her for a moment, then creates a pillar of rising amulets that hits multiple times. Like Palutena’s Up Smash, this has some of the highest vertical range in the game, but unlike Palutena, this hits multiple times on both sides of her.

Down Smash: Reimu summons an amulet to travel along the ground in front of her, dealing damage to anyone in its wake. This can be changed to attack behind her instead of in front.

Neutral B: Hakurei Amulet: Reimu summons one large amulet and four smaller amulets and fires them in a spread. By tilting the joystick after pressing B, you can change the trajectory of the attack, and this can be used in mid-air.

Side B: Yin-Yang Orb: Reimu fires a large Yin-Yang that can be aimed. This projectile shares the same properties as Meloetta’s Relic Song, except the projectile disappears the moment it hits an opponent.

Up B: Floating Wall Jump: Reimu creates a barrier beneath her feet and jumps upwards. This has only fairly decent vertical distance, but like Cloud’s Climhazzard, an extra button press can send her downwards. The first attack can also aim downwards before returning upwards for mind games.

Down B: Dimensional Rift: A move that differs based on how long you press the button. Reimu will disappear from reality, then reappear to perform a certain attack. Lightly tapping B will perform a hurtling head stomp some distance in front of her. Holding the B button will perform a sliding kick that hits three times. The former can’t meteor spike but is good at gimping, and the latter is a good combo starter.

Final Smash: Fantasy Seal: Reimu releases a giant barrage of large multicolored orbs that hone in on all enemies on screen. They deal massive damage and absorb all other projectiles that they touch.

In short, Reimu is a highly-evasive glass cannon who possesses one of the best recovery games in the entire roster. Her survivability, contributed to by her flying, her parry-based secondary hurtbox and fast movement speed, is unparalleled and makes her projectile game all the more terrifying to come up against. However, she is extremely frail and terrible at close-quarters, with a less-than decent grab game, a distinct lack of keepaway and a primary hurtbox that doubles the damage she takes from enemies. Anyone who isn't too careful when playing as Reimu would experience some of the quickest stocks at their expense.

As a more recent Touhou fan, I'm not sure if I'm any faithful to the series, as I believe I've made a composite Reimu that takes mechanics from both danmaku and fighting game entries of the series.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
This does kill the cat leak, which was another avenue pointing toward Reimu. It doesn't kill her entirely, but it does make the doujin leak the sole reason to expect her. In that case, wouldn't she pretty much have to be FP5 and not post pass and if she isn't, then she's not coming?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I mean its still possible it could be a deconfirmed, but doubt it. it really leaves like no one left. Reimu and Shantae are all I can think of

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
This does kill the cat leak, which was another avenue pointing toward Reimu. It doesn't kill her entirely, but it does make the doujin leak the sole reason to expect her. In that case, wouldn't she pretty much have to be FP5 and not post pass and if she isn't, then she's not coming?
Not necessarily at all, there was nothing about the doujin leak that suggested she was ultimately going to be FP5, just that Nintendo have been collaborating with Doujin circles on a project related to Smash Bros. She could easily be in the next fighter pass, which makes the most sense imo given the time frame of when ZUN had that interview saying he wanted to see Reimu in smash. Also I still have doubts on Verge given his track record, once again take everything most "insider" leakers have with a grain of salt is what I'd suggest. The only reason I feel like the Doujin leak has more of a leg to stand on is it's circumstantial evidence and the fact the leaker actually provided some "proof" that he's an insider through showing that picture of development-art for the new touhou spinoff sourced independently from the twitter post by someone from the company.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Depends on the timing of everything. We didn't get the Doujin music information until August, before that back in April it was just a vague "Murmurs of Smash". That would still put her about 8 months from release if Grant's timeline is anything to go by for Banjo. If she's not 5, she'd be early pass 2. ZUN Brought up Smash in March. The Hayabusa rumors from Shifty started around then which could be when 2nd pass characters were being decided.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I guess the question would have to be when was the idea of a post pass locked down. If they got in right after the planning stages, then yeah, Reimu would have to be early post-pass if not fighter 5.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I guess the question would have to be when was the idea of a post pass locked down. If they got in right after the planning stages, then yeah, Reimu would have to be early post-pass if not fighter 5.
According to Imran Khan, one of the very credible insiders, having a post-pass was decided around E3 (he says it at 17:02):

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Not necessarily at all, there was nothing about the doujin leak that suggested she was ultimately going to be FP5, just that Nintendo have been collaborating with Doujin circles on a project related to Smash Bros. She could easily be in the next fighter pass, which makes the most sense imo given the time frame of when ZUN had that interview saying he wanted to see Reimu in smash. Also I still have doubts on Verge given his track record, once again take everything most "insider" leakers have with a grain of salt is what I'd suggest. The only reason I feel like the Doujin leak has more of a leg to stand on is it's circumstantial evidence and the fact the leaker actually provided some "proof" that he's an insider through showing that picture of development-art for the new touhou spinoff sourced independently from the twitter post by someone from the company.
I feel kind of the opposite. If she isn’t FP5 then I feel that confirms the Doujin leak is fake since it would be over a year since that circle was contacted to make music which would be really odd considering Nintendo didn’t contact Kirkhope to make music until a few months before the reveal. Why would they reach out to a large group of people, over a year in advanced when that leaves more opportunities to leak when they approached a single person only 2-4 months in advance of the reveal of that particular character. Reimu is pretty much the last character I have standing in my top ten wishlist so I’m routing for her but each day the Doujin losses credibility to me due to the time table of how B&K’s music was handled. I hope to be wrong though and we see the Shrine Maiden at some point if she isn’t this last character.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I feel kind of the opposite. If she isn’t FP5 then I feel that confirms the Doujin leak is fake since it would be over a year since that circle was contacted to make music which would be really odd considering Nintendo didn’t contact Kirkhope to make music until a few months before the reveal. Why would they reach out to a large group of people, over a year in advanced when that leaves more opportunities to leak when they approached a single person only 2-4 months in advance of the reveal of that particular character. Reimu is pretty much the last character I have standing in my top ten wishlist so I’m routing for her but each day the Doujin losses credibility to me due to the time table of how B&K’s music was handled. I hope to be wrong though and we see the Shrine Maiden at some point if she isn’t this last character.
This is assuming the 4chan post is actually correct. Disregarding that, we have a summertime estimate on when Doujin circles were brought up by the 5ch guy.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
This is assuming the 4chan post is actually correct. Disregarding that, we have a summertime estimate on when Doujin circles were brought up by the 5ch guy.
Ahh was it that late in the year? I was thinking it was March or so but I might getting mixed up with the other leak with the template that was being used to determine their legitimacy. If so, then that lines up more with Reimu being potentially FP5 but still would be odd if they reached out for a character that wouldn’t be coming out until post Feb 2020 IMO.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Ahh was it that late in the year? I was thinking it was March or so but I might getting mixed up with the other leak with the template that was being used to determine their legitimacy. If so, then that lines up more with Reimu being potentially FP5 but still would be odd if they reached out for a character that wouldn’t be coming out until post Feb 2020 IMO.
The first time Reimu in smash was brought up by the guy was in April. But there were basically no details. It was just "There's murmurs of Touhou in Smash"

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
I’m just getting caught up. I can’t believe Bamco got deconfirmed. That pretty much leaves Phoenix as the most likely character, doesn’t it? His rumors are probably fake, but he’s yet to be deconfirmed himself. It’s probably going to be a character that’s avoided being heavily speculated, but I really cannot imagine who is left.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Man, Some part of me wants Reimu to just be deconfirmed for good so I can put this whole thing to rest. I have the feeling that Reimu won't be mentioned in the coming 2 weeks only to be deconfirmed when ultimately someone else gets in.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I’m just getting caught up. I can’t believe Bamco got deconfirmed. That pretty much leaves Phoenix as the most likely character, doesn’t it? His rumors are probably fake, but he’s yet to be deconfirmed himself. It’s probably going to be a character that’s avoided being heavily speculated, but I really cannot imagine who is left.
I think to assume any character as "most likely" right now would be a huge mistake. As you say, it really could be absolutely anyone.

Man, Some part of me wants Reimu to just be deconfirmed for good so I can put this whole thing to rest. I have the feeling that Reimu won't be mentioned in the coming 2 weeks only to be deconfirmed when ultimately someone else gets in.
Yup, this seems unfortunately possible.

Last edited:

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I still don't see why people are so certain she'd be FP5, I don't see them ending the pass on a character more obscure to the West like her especially if they're releasing the newest character's trailer at the game awards. Nothing makes it impossible for her to be in the second fighter pass, I'd argue she's even more likely to be in that. To add, her not appearing as FP5 doesn't deconfirm her at all, none of the leaks implied that she was going to be FP5, just that doujin circles were making music for her eventual inclusion. The leak didn't state all the music had already been composed, and even if it was I don't see how it means she'd be an impossible release after this fighter pass. I doubt the people that made the 17 remixes for the SNK tracks had a single month to work on all the tracks for example.

Also I'd imagine taking time to work on the characters a long while in advance is probably the best thing to do as well, given the huge lack of info between Joker's reveal and his actual debut as well as how Terry was basically incomplete with more or less having his model and some animations done just in time for his reveal trailer.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Also I'd imagine taking time to work on the characters a long while in advance is probably the best thing to do as well
The problem is that also gives more times for leaks to appear. Doujin circles aren't a bunch of industry professionals that are used to NDAs and stuff, they're just people making stuff for fun a lot of the time, sometimes with next to no financial incentive at all.

It's not like Reimu is impossible for late post-pass, but at that point it might be unrelated to the leak entirely and just a happy coincidence.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that also gives more times for leaks to appear. Doujin circles aren't a bunch of industry professionals that are used to NDAs and stuff, they're just people making stuff for fun a lot of the time, sometimes with next to no financial incentive at all.

It's not like Reimu is impossible for late post-pass, but at that point it might be unrelated to the leak entirely and just a happy coincidence.
I'd imagine that to be the case however the amount of people who'd be working on Reimu's inclusion would pretty much exclusively be from the Japan side of thing, making it far riskier for "insiders" to leak without having their positions compromised. Plus I doubt a lot of these circles would want to risk leaking when getting to collaborate with Nintendo would most likely be their biggest gig yet.

Prince777

NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
So as we know, Bamco was recently deconfirmed by Vergeben a few hours ago

(Link for anyone's convenience - https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78213641?page=8)

As far as I know, there are no current leaks pertaining to Reimu; however, she doesn't seem to have any obstacles in her way either. At the very least, there's a possibility that the Cat Leak mixed up the release dates of the characters mentioned (Reimu, KOS-MOS, and Ryu Hayabusa) and that Reimu could be FP5 while the latter characters are currently being developed and will be revealed as post-pass fighters.

If the Cat Leak is fake entirely, then there's still possibility of:

Minecraft Content (Steve), Saber from the Fate Series, Arle Nadja, Dante, or Master Chief.

These characters haven't officially been deconfirmed and are still plausible.

Prince777

NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Doujin leak still exists.
Good point, at least that hasn't been shot down yet. Still tho, I'm honestly running out of potential characters for the 5th fighter. Practically all the big names have been shot down so far, and I don't want to root for someone's inclusion and be disappointed.

It seems like Reimu could take the spot after all if all aligns accordingly.

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
Dante got deconfirmed earlier this week just before the Resident Evil spirits got announced, didn’t he? Maybe not officially, but in the same way most other characters have been deconfirmed for fighter 5, I think. I can see Steve getting in. I’d be shocked if Saber, Arle, or Master Chief was fighter 5, but I’m also pretty shocked by the current state of fighter 5 speculation overall.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I still don't see why people are so certain she'd be FP5, I don't see them ending the pass on a character more obscure to the West like her especially if they're releasing the newest character's trailer at the game awards. Nothing makes it impossible for her to be in the second fighter pass, I'd argue she's even more likely to be in that. To add, her not appearing as FP5 doesn't deconfirm her at all, none of the leaks implied that she was going to be FP5, just that doujin circles were making music for her eventual inclusion. The leak didn't state all the music had already been composed, and even if it was I don't see how it means she'd be an impossible release after this fighter pass. I doubt the people that made the 17 remixes for the SNK tracks had a single month to work on all the tracks for example.

Also I'd imagine taking time to work on the characters a long while in advance is probably the best thing to do as well, given the huge lack of info between Joker's reveal and his actual debut as well as how Terry was basically incomplete with more or less having his model and some animations done just in time for his reveal trailer.
I don't believe anyone is or was "certain" that she'd be FP5. Her chances are still pretty low. Its just weird with how many character have been deconfirmed (if the deconfirms even mean anything) that it becomes questionable who it could be. I also don't believe that they will make their choice for the last entry dependend on how big of an impact that character will have. If they have someone big, that would be the opening act for the second FP. That would be, at least, the better business decision. And if Sakurai is to be believed, he doesn't care if a character is popular or not.

But alas, this is a discussion bound to go in circles so I'm gonna just drop the to.... *gasp* Genso Skydrift gets released a day before VGA --> Reimu confirmed for Smash.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
But alas, this is a discussion bound to go in circles so I'm gonna just drop the to.... *gasp* Genso Skydrift gets released a day before VGA --> Reimu confirmed for Smash.
NGL, this still bugs me. A Touhou game getting a worldwide release just feels weird to me. It might explain all the delays Skydrift had, though.

Prince777

NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Dante got deconfirmed earlier this week just before the Resident Evil spirits got announced, didn’t he? Maybe not officially, but in the same way most other characters have been deconfirmed for fighter 5, I think. I can see Steve getting in. I’d be shocked if Saber, Arle, or Master Chief was fighter 5, but I’m also pretty shocked by the current state of fighter 5 speculation overall.
Likewise. I'm just hoping the 5th fighter will be even more enticing than the previous fighters. It probably won't be mega-hype, but the character will likely be very fun to play and from a relatively niche series.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
NGL, this still bugs me. A Touhou game getting a worldwide release just feels weird to me. It might explain all the delays Skydrift had, though.
If it was the first Touhou game on the switch maybe, but we already have a lot of fan games ported for consoles. Pretty sure that its just a coincidence.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If it was the first Touhou game on the switch maybe, but we already have a lot of fan games ported for consoles. Pretty sure that its just a coincidence.
I'm specifically talking about how it's releasing on the same day world wide. Especially in Japanese, English and Chinese.

Top Bottom