• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
So is TGS and Nintendo doesn't do **** there.

Matter of perspective. I'll believe a VGA reveal when I have reason to believe there's one. At the moment I don't see it happening which is in stark contrast to what I felt last year.
Yeah, as long as Nintendo has the ability to do a Direct & reveal literally whenever they feel like, I'm not 100% on a reveal needing to happen at the VGAs.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Cross-posting to ALL active female character discussion threads! Want to see Reimu in Smash? Tired of seeing an all-male DLC pass? Sign this petition to let your voice be heard!

Chances are this will help you get your character to Smash!

http://chng.it/LWFtjZjMp5
I want Reimu in Smash because Touhou is a franchise that means a lot to me. Couldn't care less about what gender she has.

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know everyone is expecting a big name for the final fighter pass, which i can see happening, but sakurai also stating that he values fun value over recognition plus nintendo seemingly always having the last of something not be huge in smash(smash 4 with duck hunt, smash brawl with rob), i could maybe see someone like reimu being announced at the game awards. If that happened i would love to see all the reactions

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
You know everyone is expecting a big name for the final fighter pass, which i can see happening, but sakurai also stating that he values fun value over recognition plus nintendo seemingly always having the last of something not be huge in smash(smash 4 with duck hunt, smash brawl with rob), i could maybe see someone like reimu being announced at the game awards. If that happened i would love to see all the reactions
I think expecting a big name because "it's the last one in the pass" is misguided anyways, given that you'd want people to buy into the pass early on, before they knew all the characters. That's thinking from a fan perspective, not a business one.

ABC Swoops

Smash Rookie
I love seeing large crowd reactions to character reveals. The most heartwarming thing to me is when a character I wanted in Smash gets in and the crowd starts losing their minds or chanting the character's name. Seeing that kind of reaction for Reimu would keep me smiling like an idiot for hours

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well, well, well. If I may interrupt. Got another China update: this time Tencent updated Nintendo Switch's Weibo (Chinese Twitter) for the first time in three months. The account said (translation by the Twitter account Chinese Nintendo): "Hi Everyone! It's been 3 months since ChinaJoy, and we miss you a lot. Currently, work for the Chinese edition of Nintendo Switch is now actively underway.":

ChinaJoy is Shanghai's E3 pretty much. Yea, the place where Nintendo and Tencent had that press conference and presentation three months ago*. A couple of important points:

* The last presentation was announced ca. a week before it took place. Whether it takes place tomorrow or next week, this time will likely be on short notice.

* NSMBU was approved last week, the Switch Lite's been recently (preliminarily) approved and Tencent's hiring left and right for the Switch. They also showed off BOTW, Odyssey and Lets Go three months ago. Nintendo and Tencent will go for broke one way or the other, that's for sure. Aside from announcing the launch day, I'm personally also expecting further details on those games, them spotlighting games like Smash etc. One thing worth looking out for is whether the Chinese Switch will be region locked or not: A popular streamer who claims close ties with Tencent claimed that the Chinese Switch would not be region locked. Speculating here, I could see that. Steam's not affected by censorship at all, and with some fine-tuning and finagling Nintendo could actually pull off a similar stunt. Their games being mostly family friendly helps a lot.

* Smash is very likely to be advertised there IMHO. Ultimate's the biggest fighter ever and Nintendo's characters (alongside SNK's) are very well known there. I find it likely that Terry will feature in ads alongside Mario and Pikachu, and that's one of the reasons why I think FP will be bundled with Chinese Smash. Also, I strongly doubt FP5 will be shown here, but the off chance should be kept in mind.

Yes, Tencent is, as NonSpecificGuy said when NSMBU was approved, ****ing scary. No doubt. And Tencent's not popular with Chinese hardcore people either to say the least. However, interest in the Switch is high in China, and depending on how it goes the Switch (and Smash) might see a major boost from the Chinese release. As far as Tencent goes, their choices are likely either LoL (100 % owned) or Jonesy (40 %). Not superlikely (not with Sakurai's recent comments in mind), but I'm personally calling them contenders for Post-FP DLC. I strongly doubt anyone from CoD Mobile (yea, really), nor any characters from their indie studio NEXT Studios (Bladed Fury, Death Coming).

(*Sidenote: The penguin is the WeChat Penguin, Tencent's mascot. The Verge link does also have an interesting related article: How WeChat came to rule China).
This was posted in the general Newcomer Discussion thread. Touhou's still quite popular in China, right? Could be interesting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, unless we get another Direct this November, we're not getting Reimu, or any rep with "obscurity" for that matter. TGA is coming up next month and that's a super-casual event. It's likely timed with anyone that has some kind of strong Western presence and pop-culture, which would be perfect for confirming anyone along the likes of Crash, Ryu, or Doomguy. Heihachi as well even, since his Mii Outfit is mysteriously absent.

@Bolderousness As a friend of mine pointed out, Directs are seasonal. We only get around 3 per year as of late, and we already had a Direct during September. A TGA announcement for Fighter #5 is all but guaranteed at this point, and no doubt it lines up with the current hat leak. Now it's just a matter of whether or not they'll tease what the extra content will bring next year, but that's very iffy. E3 2020 just seems like the last opportunity to please all bases.

I just don't see Sakurai ending the Pass on such an event like that with KOS-MOS, Reimu, or Arle, which is a shame because based on the way things are headed, it almost seems like the only female characters that people are willing to give the time of day are Jill, Lara, and to a lesser extent, 2B. There's always DLC beyond the Pass, but no official confirmation as to how many characters we're getting. Another 5 sounds too good to be true at this point.
Pretty much. I really have no reason to believe a character is not showing up at the VGA. Millions of people watch the awards, meaning it's a great opportunity for Nintendo to advertise Smash Ultimate and its DLC before the gift-giving holidays. The only potential for Nintendo directs this year are like a Pokemon direct that reveals one of the starters for Smash or something.

It also lines up nicely with the original deadline for the whole pass being February 2020. Never has a DLC fighter for Ultimate been revealed and then had a Sakurai stream on the same day (excluding PPlant who was originally base game and a preorder bonus). I'd say we're in the pink now, y'all. :ult_terry:

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, can someone add me to the support list. I like the idea of Touhou in Smash despite knowing virtually nothing but the music.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
https://twitter.com/MFahim_96/status/1192584557670866949?s=20

Has this been posted yet? Soku is being played at Frosty Faustings next year! It's kinda crazy how Tessiro has pretty much been keeping the scene alive for this long. Hopefully this will get some new people interested in the Touhou fighting games!
I wish I could get into Soku, but I just can't get past the artstyle. Silly reason, I know, but the floaty fighters' sprites look so much better. Still, that's amazing that it's still got an active scene after all this time.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't see how Reimu's chances are completely tossed away if she's not FP5 though? We know for a fact we're getting more characters post-pass, I could see Reimu being either post-pass fighter 2 or 3, especially if we don't end on a female character for this first fighter pass. Nothing says she can't be revealed later down the line, if anything I think her appearing later has far more of a chance of happening after how much more vocal people have been getting about wanting her in. I only don't see her being the first post-pass character because I'd imagine they'd want to start off the next pack with a highly-requested character.
No need for doom and gloom just yet, her chances are higher than they ever have been now I'd argue, literally every new bit of information we've gotten has helped her chances, especially the reveal with Terry getting 50 tracks that gives the potential Doujin leak yet another leg to stand on. Also to add, Sakurai's quote about how a character's popularity doesn't matter and how what matters the most is that they're fun to play, to me at least, feels like a hint that we're inevitably going to get another "w-whuh who is this literal WHO?!"-tier character, at least for the west, I have firm belief it's going to be her. Have faith!
She's not dead until she'd dead, imo. I'm actually rather surprised that literally everything that has happened since Ultimate was even announced has been nothing but good news for Reimu as time went on. Her major competition has been weeded out. Terry shows that being generous can get you a large selection of tracks. Recognizably isn't particularly important. It's really a surprising feeling.

Ending with a bang was always something I never expected. It's never happened before and I doubt it ever will. In fact, I've been thinking that the last fighter would be a rather 'obscure' character ever since the extra DLC was announced. Sakurai's statement on Recognizably only solidified that thought for me.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
She's not dead until she'd dead, imo. I'm actually rather surprised that literally everything that has happened since Ultimate was even announced has been nothing but good news for Reimu as time went on. Her major competition has been weeded out. Terry shows that being generous can get you a large selection of tracks. Recognizably isn't particularly important. It's really a surprising feeling.
Ending with a bang was always something I never expected. It's never happened before and I doubt it ever will. In fact, I've been thinking that the last fighter would be a rather 'obscure' character ever since the extra DLC was announced. Sakurai's statement on Recognizably only solidified that thought for me.
I agree on both of these points.

I’m just a little miffed that the Mii costume rumor let everyone run around saying Geno and Doomguy are definitely in. Yet when the Doujin rumor arrives, everyone rides their high horse and calls it false simply because it’s not “their” character (granted this applies to everything, like I didn’t want Terry in Smash because I found Nakoruru more interesting, but I’ve learned to accept Terry).

Point is, hope for any character can lead to communities riding their high horse especially if it’s a name people remember. Bring up someone they don’t care about and they will attempt to play “gatekeeper”.

Sometimes I hope Reimu gets revealed at the Game Awards (even though there probably isn’t a reveal there, which I also accept) just to watch all these “theories” go out of style (were they even in style?)

Tetrus

Smash Rookie
So if we were to compile all the generally accepted deconfirms for FP5, the following highly speculated picks are out for the time being:

Crash
Ryu Hayabusa
Doomguy
Geno

And yet all our Reimu-related leaks and "evidence" remain intact. This is probably supposed to be good for our miko's chances, but this situation is wild. FP5 grows ever more elusive, yet our speculation hype hasn't even reached its peak.

It's weird because they're only deconfirmed for FP5, meaning Reimu's chances are at their highest as FP5 by logic of her having less competition, but once the FP is finished we're back to anything goes. Very crazy

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Has anybody else used the Nakoruru Wig to build a convincing Reimu Mii Fighter?

Goes perfectly with the Veronica Outfit, or Western Outfit if you wanna make her a Gunner.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Has anybody else used the Nakoruru Wig to build a convincing Reimu Mii Fighter?

Goes perfectly with the Veronica Outfit, or Western Outfit if you wanna make her a Gunner.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of twitter posts about it. If there's one thing I love about the Touhou fanbase it's ****posting and I got a good chuckle out of some of those tweets.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
So if we were to compile all the generally accepted deconfirms for FP5, the following highly speculated picks are out for the time being:

Crash
Ryu Hayabusa
Doomguy
Geno

And yet all our Reimu-related leaks and "evidence" remain intact. This is probably supposed to be good for our miko's chances, but this situation is wild. FP5 grows ever more elusive, yet our speculation hype hasn't even reached its peak.

It's weird because they're only deconfirmed for FP5, meaning Reimu's chances are at their highest as FP5 by logic of her having less competition, but once the FP is finished we're back to anything goes. Very crazy
I’m starting to think the same thing. We could still get a TGA reveal for post pass characters which mean they get their large announcements there and reveal FP5 on the anniversary with potentially Reimu. Keeping my hopes high though.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I wish I could get into Soku, but I just can't get past the artstyle. Silly reason, I know, but the floaty fighters' sprites look so much better. Still, that's amazing that it's still got an active scene after all this time.
Nah, I get it. Soku isn't the prettiest game. The presentation in the newer fighters is just a million times better. Reason why I don't like them as much is because they're lacking the deck building system which was easily my favorite thing about the old games.
...also can I just say that I can't stand the style used for the character art in ULiL onwards?
Man, that brings me back. Playing Scarlet Weather Rhapsody was one of my first exposures to Touhou.
Dude, same. SWR is still my favorite of the Touhou fighters. That story mode was just great.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of twitter posts about it. If there's one thing I love about the Touhou fanbase it's ****posting and I got a good chuckle out of some of those tweets.
This one was my favorite. I can't believe they put 2hu in Smash, guys

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722

Crash
Ryu Hayabusa
Doomguy
Geno

This is awesome. At this point, all that stands in her way is Llyod, whom is a very popular contender for the Pass.

Now that the other giants are deconfirmed, if Llyod was somehow to be out of the running for FP5, I could absolutely see Reimu being the
last fighter of the pass.

zferolie

Smash Hero
well now, that Sabi quote does once again throw open the gates. I do like these confirmations on who it ISN't more then who it is.

We are back to it being basically anyone at this time. Reimu could work. I am thinking it could be shantae at the game awards myself and reimu later. Its still interesting Sabi has yet to say anything about Reimu though

Rikarte

Smash Ace
If Reimu is in, I hope Smash youtubers are using some sweet Touhou music when doing montages of her. Listening to one of A-One's songs while watching someone getting combo'd to death sounds amazing, haha. This one would fit so well

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778

Brazillian Cara

Smash Cadet
Hello there! I'm another lurker who decided to create an account to give my support to this character, and maybe add to the conversation when possible.

I know this has been said more than a few times already, but it's amazing how much Reimu's chances improved recently. For the longest time I didn't seriously consider she could have a shot (and also tended to avoid newcomer speculations altogether), but then that interview with Zun came out of nowhere. There's hoping the rumors live up to their promise and she's in the post-pass! (Or maybe even as F5, but let's not bet too hard on it).

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Hello there! I'm another lurker who decided to create an account to give my support to this character, and maybe add to the conversation when possible.

I know this has been said more than a few times already, but it's amazing how much Reimu's chances improved recently. For the longest time I didn't seriously consider she could have a shot (and also tended to avoid newcomer speculations altogether), but then that interview with Zun came out of nowhere. There's hoping the rumors live up to their promise and she's in the post-pass! (Or maybe even as F5, but let's not bet too hard on it).
Personally, I'm hoping for this outcome right here:
Rei-MOS Handshake.png

Note: I still think the drunken cat leak is a bunch of baloney, but the possibility that it's genuine would certainly make for quite the crossover here.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm going on the record; this might be the person who I'm most interested in seeing outside of Geno. There's such so many things Touhou could bring to the table, even if I haven't got personal investment in the series. I'm hoping by some Sakurai magic, it can happen.

Does anyone know Sakurai's opinion on Touhou stuff?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'm going on the record; this might be the person who I'm most interested in seeing outside of Geno. There's such so many things Touhou could bring to the table, even if I haven't got personal investment in the series. I'm hoping by some Sakurai magic, it can happen.

Does anyone know Sakurai's opinion on Touhou stuff?
No direct confirmations of anything beyond him generally liking shmup games. There are people who misattribute claims of him loving the series and being inspired by the bullet hell genre before starting video games. There are no citations for the former, while the latter is contradictory because he's been making video games without any solid influences as far as people know.

It's fair to assume that he's heard of Touhou and is aware that it exists, but we don't know if he has an opinion towards the series or its fandom. It would certainly be a treat if he admits to liking the series, but we just need to wait and see what happens.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
No direct confirmations of anything beyond him generally liking shmup games. There are people who misattribute claims of him loving the series and being inspired by the bullet hell genre before starting video games. There are no citations for the former, while the latter is contradictory because he's been making video games without any solid influences as far as people know.

But it would certainly be a treat if he admits to liking the series. We just need to wait and see what happens.
Well even that is somthing. No shmup rep as far as I consider so. And besides that who could rep that? The Contra guys, I suppose.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Well even that is somthing. No shmup rep as far as I consider so. And besides that who could rep that? The Contra guys, I suppose.
They're more of a platformer hybrid, but I get what you mean. The main distinction is that you have near-control over the X and Y axis with a 2.5D play-style (depends on the game) without gravity inhibiting your movement. The levels are also scrolling constantly as you avoid bullets, so games like Touhou (nache), Einhander, Ikaruga, Gradius, etc. apply.

Brazillian Cara

Smash Cadet
Something ironic is how, according to a (unsubstantiated as far as I know) comment on a TV Tropes page, there are shmup fans who look down on Touhou due to it putting too much focus on story and characters (rather than little or nothing at all). And having actual characters - rather than just spaceships - is precisely why Touhou has a much better chance of being represented by a fighter (unless Sakurai decides to get creative with Vic Viper or the Ikaruga ship).

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
View attachment 246013
Note: I still think the drunken cat leak is a bunch of baloney, but the possibility that it's genuine would certainly make for quite the crossover here.
I'm of the same mind. KOS-MOS is such a left-field pick that if she was FP5 I might actually believe the drunken cat leak. It certainly would make for one of the more compelling stories of the Smash Ultimate leak cycle, between that and the guy who leaked Piranha Plant, Ken, and Incineroar and got zero replies. Thanks to him, we know that there are people posting on 4chan who do have good information.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
View attachment 246013
The funny thing is that it's also a leak that gained more credibility with time. Putting Ryu at Post pass at the time would have been ludicrous and now Namco getting a rep is gaining traction.

While I personally don't believe it (I also think that Namco isn't next and is more likely a Post Pass Character), I love how everything surrounding Reimu just seems to get more and more likely.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The funny thing is that it's also a leak that gained more credibility with time. Putting Ryu at Post pass at the time would have been ludicrous and now Namco getting a rep is gaining traction.

While I personally don't believe it, I love how everything surrounding Reimu just seems to get more and more likely.
Absolutely agreed! What a wild ride it's been.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'll throw my hat in the ring as well. I've been lurking around here for a few weeks now as the "Reimu for Smash" fever has finally set in for me as well. While I will prepare myself for disappointment, count me in as a die hard advocate for this cause.

D

Deleted member

Alright, I'll throw my hat in the ring as well. I've been lurking around here for a few weeks now as the "Reimu for Smash" fever has finally set in for me as well. While I will prepare myself for disappointment, count me in as a die hard advocate for this cause.
I ran out of money betting for Saber from Fate. Won't lose money this time but I hope we all don't get disappointed in the end.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ok Marisa, I see you... Welcome to the boards, Wrath! And be careful where you graze that scythe!

I ran out of money betting for Saber from Fate. Won't lose money this time but I hope we all don't get disappointed in the end.
Hopefully you considered 'til the end of Ultimate's DLC cycle rather than just the Fighter's Pass so you don't lose on a technicality!

Once46

Smash Rookie
I've been reading this for a while to get the latest news. I've been wanting to post my thoughts and finally made an account. I've been a firm believer in her since before the game even came out. I've been wanting to post my thoughts and finally made an account.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So I was thinking of the weird KOF schmup game thats very Touhou-ish.

Terry being part of Reimu's trailer would amazing.

Top Bottom