• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
One thing I find especially fishy about that leak is that they chose two costumes that directly point towards highly speculated characters making it in. The Mallow and Cacodemon hats would be released alongside other Mii outfits, as all Mii costumes come in packs. If they had access to these two, it's not unreasonable to say they must have had the rest (unless you wanna go with "They work for Nintendo and that's all they have done at the moment").

But no, it's only the Mallow and Cacodemon hats, which just so happen to relate to two of the most talked about potential fighters. A little too coincidental.
I mean, why did the original Ken leak only show Ken and not also Incineroar?

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
It seems to me, the manner in which the mii hat leak was presented, regardless of it it's real or fake, was done specifically to inflame both the Geno and Doomslayer fanbases, possibly to get them to go after each other. If nothing else, it seems the leaker enjoys watching chaotic speculation.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It seems to me, the manner in which the mii hat leak was presented, regardless of it it's real or fake, was done specifically to inflame both the Geno and Doomslayer fanbases, possibly to get them to go after each other. If nothing else, it seems the leaker enjoys watching chaotic speculation.
Well, if that is the case, it failed spectacularly. The Geno and Doom fanbases are buds now, seeing that if one gets confirmed, it make the other more likely to appear as well. If you look at each thread, the amount crossover between the two has increased by quite a bit.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
One thing I find especially fishy about that leak is that they chose two costumes that directly point towards highly speculated characters making it in. The Mallow and Cacodemon hats would be released alongside other Mii outfits, as all Mii costumes come in packs. If they had access to these two, it's not unreasonable to say they must have had the rest (unless you wanna go with "They work for Nintendo and that's all they have done at the moment").

But no, it's only the Mallow and Cacodemon hats, which just so happen to relate to two of the most talked about potential fighters. A little too coincidental.
I'm also a bit suspicious that we saw two of the characters who are the most talked-about in roster discussion communities, but both also seem plausible as reps, so unfortunately that doesn't leave us with much.

H3ra

Smash Rookie
Y'know what, I've been lurking for long enough, add me to the supporters list please! I'm confident that Reimu's coming, next or otherwise.

MindlessMage

Smash Cadet
The Reimu For Smash Twitter have more suscribers than I remember.
Yeah, I've been growing rapidly as more Touhou fans start believing. It's actually quite beautiful to me, I get teary eyed just thinking about it. Feels like that Endgame scene to me.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
Yeah good point. I imagine there are lots of Touhou fans who didn’t even realize Reimu has a chance until recently. I made a reimu stock icon (my pfp) back before ultimate was even released for fun but given the many circumstances (Multiple DLC chars, latest Sakurai quotes, strong indie presence) her chances are literally better than ever

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Honestly, unless we get another Direct this November, we're not getting Reimu, or any rep with "obscurity" for that matter. TGA is coming up next month and that's a super-casual event. It's likely timed with anyone that has some kind of strong Western presence and pop-culture, which would be perfect for confirming anyone along the likes of Crash, Ryu, or Doomguy. Heihachi as well even, since his Mii Outfit is mysteriously absent.

@Bolderousness As a friend of mine pointed out, Directs are seasonal. We only get around 3 per year as of late, and we already had a Direct during September. A TGA announcement for Fighter #5 is all but guaranteed at this point, and no doubt it lines up with the current hat leak. Now it's just a matter of whether or not they'll tease what the extra content will bring next year, but that's very iffy. E3 2020 just seems like the last opportunity to please all bases.

I just don't see Sakurai ending the Pass on such an event like that with KOS-MOS, Reimu, or Arle, which is a shame because based on the way things are headed, it almost seems like the only female characters that people are willing to give the time of day are Jill, Lara, and to a lesser extent, 2B. There's always DLC beyond the Pass, but no official confirmation as to how many characters we're getting. Another 5 sounds too good to be true at this point.

Y'know what, I've been lurking for long enough, add me to the supporters list please! I'm confident that Reimu's coming, next or otherwise.
Welcome to the boards, Hera! Enjoy your stay, and don't be a stranger!

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Honestly, unless we get another Direct this November, we're not getting Reimu, or any rep with "obscurity" for that matter. TGA is coming up next month and that's a super-casual event. It's likely timed with anyone that has some kind of strong Western presence and pop-culture, which would be perfect for confirming anyone along the likes of Crash, Ryu, or Doomguy. Heihachi as well even, since his Mii Outfit is mysteriously absent.

@Bolderousness As a friend of mine pointed out, Directs are seasonal. We only get around 3 per year as of late, and we already had a Direct during September. A TGA announcement for Fighter #5 is all but guaranteed at this point, and no doubt it lines up with the current hat leak. Now it's just a matter of whether or not they'll tease what the extra content will bring next year, but that's very iffy. E3 2020 just seems like the last opportunity to please all bases.

I just don't see Sakurai ending the Pass on such an event like that with KOS-MOS, Reimu, or Arle, which is a shame because based on the way things are headed, it almost seems like the only female characters that people are willing to give the time of day are Jill, Lara, and to a lesser extent, 2B. There's always DLC beyond the Pass, but no official confirmation as to how many characters we're getting. Another 5 sounds too good to be true at this point.

This is probably part of the reason people see Doom Slayer as the most likely character to be revealed, specially with the mysterious Mii Customs that as far as I know haven't been debunked.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Haven't there been 1-2 Nintendo Directs every November for the past several years? A TGA reveal certainly seems likely, but I wouldn't consider it guaranteed.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
This is probably part of the reason people see Doom Slayer as the most likely character to be revealed, specially with the mysterious Mii Customs that as far as I know haven't been debunked.
And even if they are, what's stopping Doomguy? He would be just as "disconfirmed" as Reimu is. That is to say, not at all.

Haven't there been 1-2 Nintendo Directs every November for the past several years? A TGA reveal certainly seems likely, but I wouldn't consider it guaranteed.
Not traditional ones no. The last few Nintendo Directs were entirely game-focused. That is to say, they pertained to one game and one game only. Thing is, Terry's presentation is just that: A presentation. However, if you go back to the previous Novembers, no slideshow of games were presented in those events, because their focus was entirely on whatever it was they wanted to promote at the time. No other news within that timespan.

Taking that into consideration, there is no Direct this month, or the next month, or even January. February is going to be our next Direct. Don't expect any character announcements there though, and if they do choose someone, fair chance they'll be as "obscure, but fun" as Terry was (fyi, I grew up with Terry's games so I'm very familiar with the character), and then it's back to speculation for Crash, Ryu, Heihachi, and Doomguy (whoever gets revealed this TGA).

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
It would be very odd to announce reimu at the game awards. I think it would be amazing, but so many people would go who. So damn annoying.

I know people are expecting a double reveal of doomguy and geno due to those leaks, but i hope its not doomguy. Yes he deserves to be in, but i want to be truely hyped. Also they should have a female.

If geno is in i would be happy though as it dedtroys the one arguement people have against shantae though.

D

Deleted member

I know people are expecting a double reveal of doomguy and geno due to those leaks, but i hope its not doomguy. Yes he deserves to be in, but i want to be truely hyped. Also they should have a female.
THAT IS WHY I'M HERE!

We share the same sentiment. It almost came to the point that the need for a female is a desperate measure.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
THAT IS WHY I'M HERE!

We share the same sentiment. It almost came to the point that the need for a female is a desperate measure.
Nothing is mandatory, but it's certainly a cringe-inducing thought that we have all of these options with these many possible slots, and absolutely none of them end up being an exception to what we've been getting so far.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Even setting Reimu aside, I think Lara Croft, Edelgard, Byleth, Octoling, Jill, Claire, and 2B are all in the conversation at an absolute minimum, and probably a good number of other characters I'm forgetting. I'm pretty confident we'll get at least one or two more female characters out of the rest of the DLC.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah i dont think we should get a female because its a female, but i think there are so many classic female game heroes that deserve a time in smash. Reimu, Shantae, Jill Valentine, Lara croft, and more

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is getting all bummed out in here. Reimu still has the music leak supporting her and now that SNK got 50 tracks, hearing that 20-25 tracks from Tohou was being thrown around doesn't seem like an impossibility anymore. I don't think Reimu will make it in as FP5 but I could see her being the niche or "Terry" pick of the next pass. Might not be that well known but has a huge legacy across many games (like Terry) with a grand music selection. I could her making it in next year IMO. There's only a few characters that have leaks/insiders supporting them (Crash, Ryu, Doomslayer, Geno, Reimu, KOS-MOS) so we can't give up hope until she is truly deconfirmed via DLC being announced that there is no more, a Mii costume situation with her being added that way with the songs, or the music leak gets completely debunked.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
For anyone's convenience, here's a straw poll that was made on the Reimu Discord server. It so far has Reimu in a strong lead with 40%. It may not be super significant, but it showed where most of the internet's interests currently resides with the future DLC character.

https://www.strawpoll.me/18903152/r

1573180337070.png

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Everyone is getting all bummed out in here. Reimu still has the music leak supporting her and now that SNK got 50 tracks, hearing that 20-25 tracks from Tohou was being thrown around doesn't seem like an impossibility anymore. I don't think Reimu will make it in as FP5 but I could see her being the niche or "Terry" pick of the next pass. Might not be that well known but has a huge legacy across many games (like Terry) with a grand music selection. I could her making it in next year IMO. There's only a few characters that have leaks/insiders supporting them (Crash, Ryu, Doomslayer, Geno, Reimu, KOS-MOS) so we can't give up hope until she is truly deconfirmed via DLC being announced that there is no more, a Mii costume situation with her being added that way with the songs, or the music leak gets completely debunked.
I only started seeing Reimu as possible when I learned that there'd be more than 5 characters coming as DLC, so I remain healthily optimistic. Her chances have never been better, and even if she never makes it, it's been a genuine pleasure simply to see her vault into the conversation in a big way.

For anyone's convenience, here's a straw poll that was made on the Reimu Discord server. It so far has Reimu in a strong lead with 40%. It may not be super significant, but it showed where most of the internet's interests currently resides with the future DLC character.

https://www.strawpoll.me/18903152/r

View attachment 245720
I would certainly hope that Reimu would win the poll on the Reimu discord. :p

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
I only started seeing Reimu as possible when I learned that there'd be more than 5 characters coming as DLC, so I remain healthily optimistic. Her chances have never been better, and even if she never makes it, it's been a genuine pleasure simply to see her vault into the conversation in a big way.

I would certainly hope that Reimu would win the poll on the Reimu discord. :p
Haha yeah. Not sure where it originated but I just saw it there and wanted to spread the word. :laugh:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I still don't buy a VGA reveal. It's just the same old thing of the Smash fanbase trying to find patterns that don't exist. I still firmly believe that Bayo 3, BotW2 and potentially MP4 are all more important than a Smash reveal at the VGAs.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I still don't buy a VGA reveal. It's just the same old thing of the Smash fanbase trying to find patterns that don't exist. I still firmly believe that Bayo 3, BotW2 and potentially MP4 are all more important than a Smash reveal at the VGAs.
If we go off on the assumption that we won't hear of Smash until next year then, Fighter #5 being released on February on the same day of their announcement would be the only real way to crunch in the Fighter's Pass deadline.

ABC Swoops

Smash Rookie
Nintendo's unpredictability definitely makes speculation even more chaotic, but it keeps things exciting, so it's a fair trade in my book

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I think the final fighter is going to get revealed at the VGA's. Either that or they're going to be revealed like a week beforehand and Nintendo decides to use the VGA's as a way to advertise their post-fighters pass DLC plan. I doubt that Reimu would be shown in either of those scenarios, as the final fighter would probably be someone with more universal appeal. I'll still hold onto the possibility of the red and white miko making an appearance eventually, just not for the next reveal

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
There's going to be a Game Awards reveal 100%. It's basically E3 Part 2.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
There's going to be a Game Awards reveal 100%. It's basically E3 Part 2.
If it were, Joker wouldn't have been a last minute decision. I'm not counting on a reveal there because I see no reason it HAS to happen there. If Nintendo's only product was Smash, maybe you'd have a point, but it's not.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
If it were, Joker wouldn't have been a last minute decision. I'm not counting on a reveal there because I see no reason it HAS to happen there. If Nintendo's only product was Smash, maybe you'd have a point, but it's not.
There can be multiple reveals from Nintendo. This is a transitional time as next Gen will be next year, so Game Awards won't have as much from other devs other than Indie Games and games releasing earlier next year. Nintendo can have multiple reveals at the Awards. They have in the past.

Plus SSBU is likely going to be a GOTY nominee. It's perfect timing for it. Where else would they reveal #5 anyway? I highly doubt we're going to get a Direct before the end of the year.

Last edited:

Tetrus

Smash Rookie
If we want to narrow it down to significant dates for an FP5 reveal, I can see the following:

A full/mini Direct on November doesn't seem likely, especially since the previous one was on 9/4. Maybe late November, but I doubt it.

For 12/2019 though:

12/7: 1-year anniversary for Smash Ultimate
12/12: The Game Awards
12/x: Rogue Direct not on any of these dates. Maybe Christmas?
(if it's Reimu) 12/28-31: Comiket 97, though this is more a pipe dream than an actual possibility

And that's all I can think of for 12/2019, holidays aside. Any later month than that would be very short notice as the final month for the Fighter Pass is 2/2020, and all previous reveals were done at least 2 months before release, with the exception of Hero because of the double reveal with Banjo on E3.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
There can be multiple reveals from Nintendo. This is a transitional time as next Gen will be next year, so Game Awards won't have as much from other devs other than Indie Games and games releasing earlier next year. Nintendo can have multiple reveals at the Awards. They have in the past.

Plus SSBU is likely going to be a GOTY nominee. It's perfect timing for it. Where else would they reveal #5 anyway? I highly doubt we're going to get a Direct before the end of the year.
Like I said before, if no one is announced during TGA, then the final month is the only conceivable time for an announcement since it lines up with their current presentation schedule. On that note, that fighter's announcement would lead to their release on that day. It's absolutely necessary they follow through with it, lest they go beyond the February deadline.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

They can reveal #5 whenever they want. Remember, we had a 2 month dry spell from April to June. Sakurai always tries his best to make reveals at times convenient for most parts of the world and I'm of the notion that last year was an exception because the game was literally releasing officially a few hours after that reveal, It was simply convenient timing.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
If we want to narrow it down to significant dates for an FP5 reveal, I can see the following:

A full/mini Direct on November doesn't seem likely, especially since the previous one was on 9/4. Maybe late November, but I doubt it.

For 12/2019 though:

12/7: 1-year anniversary for Smash Ultimate
12/12: The Game Awards
12/x: Rogue Direct not on any of these dates. Maybe Christmas?
(if it's Reimu) 12/28-31: Comiket 97, though this is more a pipe dream than an actual possibility

And that's all I can think of for 12/2019, holidays aside. Any later month than that would be very short notice as the final month for the Fighter Pass is 2/2020, and all previous reveals were done at least 2 months before release, with the exception of Hero because of the double reveal with Banjo on E3.
If the doujin rumor timing is correct, Reimu will be #5, post-pass fighter 1, or post-pass fighter 2. If the timing isn't correct, then she will be post-pass but it doesn't debunk the rumor completely, not sure exactly when though. Glad you posted the dates because i also had that ready to go in a slideshow, was about to mention said dates as possible reveals for Reimu

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
They can reveal #5 whenever they want. Remember, we had a 2 month dry spell from April to June. Sakurai always tries his best to make reveals at times convenient for most parts of the world and I'm of the notion that last year was an exception because the game was literally releasing officially a few hours after that reveal, It was simply convenient timing.
Sure, but Game Awards is a huge venue. It's perfect for Smash's character reveals.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Sure, but Game Awards is a huge venue. It's perfect for Smash's character reveals.
So is TGS and Nintendo doesn't do **** there.

Matter of perspective. I'll believe a VGA reveal when I have reason to believe there's one. At the moment I don't see it happening which is in stark contrast to what I felt last year.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So is TGS and Nintendo doesn't do **** there.

Matter of perspective. I'll believe a VGA reveal when I have reason to believe there's one. At the moment I don't see it happening which is in stark contrast to what I felt last year.
Again, it's likely going to be a GOTY nominee. That's a pretty big reason for them to do a reveal again.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Again, it's likely going to be a GOTY nominee. That's a pretty big reason for them to do a reveal again.
I think both of you make fair points on the situation regarding a Fighter reveal. We don't know anything yet and won't know anything until we're given a confirmation of their appearance, to which will become highly speculative by then. There's also Verge who has yet to speak of what's to come.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how Reimu's chances are completely tossed away if she's not FP5 though? We know for a fact we're getting more characters post-pass, I could see Reimu being either post-pass fighter 2 or 3, especially if we don't end on a female character for this first fighter pass. Nothing says she can't be revealed later down the line, if anything I think her appearing later has far more of a chance of happening after how much more vocal people have been getting about wanting her in. I only don't see her being the first post-pass character because I'd imagine they'd want to start off the next pack with a highly-requested character.
No need for doom and gloom just yet, her chances are higher than they ever have been now I'd argue, literally every new bit of information we've gotten has helped her chances, especially the reveal with Terry getting 50 tracks that gives the potential Doujin leak yet another leg to stand on. Also to add, Sakurai's quote about how a character's popularity doesn't matter and how what matters the most is that they're fun to play, to me at least, feels like a hint that we're inevitably going to get another "w-whuh who is this literal WHO?!"-tier character, at least for the west, I have firm belief it's going to be her. Have faith!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cross-posting to ALL active female character discussion threads! Want to see Reimu in Smash? Tired of seeing an all-male DLC pass? Sign this petition to let your voice be heard!

Chances are this will help you get your character to Smash!

http://chng.it/LWFtjZjMp5

Top Bottom