• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Sneaky, please do not do that. That's the sort of thing that Sakurai would follow up with by not confirming her at all.
Either way, some characters are getting costume'd. Let's just hope our Doujin rumor holds out and we do get playable Reimu down the line.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Can you imagine if Sakurai Mii Costumes multiple potential newcomers and then talks about Terry for 45 minutes? Mr. Sakurai's Wild Ride never ends.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
50 Tracks for Terry. The argument for the Doujin leak having too many songs is now bull****. lol

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
50 Tracks for Terry. The argument for the Doujin leak having too many songs is now bull****. lol
Problem: Sakurai mentioned not being able to do something like that for any other series again. Once I heard that, my heart sunk. He has never lied before sooo... that's just grim for our shrine maiden.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Problem: Sakurai mentioned not being able to do something like that for any other series again. Once I heard that, my heart sunk. He has never lied before sooo... that's just grim for our shrine maiden.
He said that because the licensing process was so easy, and I'm fairly certain he said that he wasn't sure if they'd be able to do that again, not anything definite. No reason to expect that we wouldn't see the same when literally all that has to happen for Touhou is for one guy to say "yeah sure, put in all of it".

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Just means we won't get 50, tbh. 20-30 should still be good as the leak suggested.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah touhou wont get 50 but 20-30 can still happen.

Now the 5th should be revealed at the game awards, but i dont see them revealing Reimu there. Its going to be someone with more western or worldwide appeal.

Reimu can happen after for sure as some of the other fighters. Just dont see her as the 5th anymore

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The other problem is... What would not be considered 'appropriate for Smash' music-wise now?

There are some good songs I already expected would be ruled out (unless wrecked badly) like "Lullaby of a Deserted Hell" or "The Bridge People No Longer Cross", but if even some of Terry's themes were considered too unfitting, then that casts a wider net...

So I'd fear "less than 50" not based on "couldn't get them", but based on "didn't want them". :-(

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Another thing in reimu's favor is that line about a character doesnt need to be super popular as long as they have a fun style to bring to the game. That fits Reimu very well

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah touhou wont get 50 but 20-30 can still happen.

Now the 5th should be revealed at the game awards, but i dont see them revealing Reimu there. Its going to be someone with more western or worldwide appeal.

Reimu can happen after for sure as some of the other fighters. Just dont see her as the 5th anymore
I don't believe a VGA reveal is happening. I feel Nintendo's going to announce something newer there. Remember, Joker was a proverbial Last minute decision to be announced at the VGAs.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If you ask me: this whole presentation brought nothing but good news for Reimu
"Fun playstyle is more important than recognizability" is always good news for Reimu, especially given how rich her moveset potential is.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Another thing in reimu's favor is that line about a character doesnt need to be super popular as long as they have a fun style to bring to the game. That fits Reimu very well
My thoughts exactly. This is giving me a lot of hope.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Joker's announcement in TGA 2018:
"WOW! WHO SAW THAT COMING!?!"

Doomguy's announcement in TGA 2019:
"Wow. Who saw that coming?"
No_really?.png

If Reimu ever happens at this point, the best case scenario is E3 2020. That's gonna be a while from now.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Why E3 and not just a random Direct?
When Joker was announced last year, we literally went through 7 months of dry Smash content outside of Joker's presentation and Stage Builder. The formula just feels like it might repeat, assuming the scenario where we get 5 characters. Anything less and that implies a closing to the DLC cycle, which in turn would imply even longer droughts in between. Imagine 3 more characters and that's it: 1 at VGA, 1 at E3, and 1 in VGA 2020. Wew boy...

I mean, that should tell you all the more how unlikely a reveal is for the VGAs
To be fair, E3 is a pretty big deal on its own. If Doomguy is in, he's in, so they'll reveal him at VGA regardless as Fighter #5. This isn't a diss toward Doomguy mind you. I'm just poking fun at the irony of how no one expected Joker, whereas Doomguy has been talked about to death during this whole cycle. He'll be exciting to those who want him sure, but the surprise factor for a big event like that is gone. There's that element of failure in keeping a tight lid on any info regarding him. Whoopsie-doo.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
The whole 50 song thing with Terry's inclusion gives me more hope than ever that that previous leak might actually be real. Also I do wonder when the next reveal will be. As much as I'd ****ing love it, I'm starting to doubt the Doom/Geno leak after this direct. I could see the next reveal being in a direct this month or in December if not the TGA's.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
The whole 50 song thing with Terry's inclusion gives me more hope than ever that that previous leak might actually be real. Also I do wonder when the next reveal will be. As much as I'd ****ing love it, I'm starting to doubt the Doom/Geno leak after this direct. I could see the next reveal being in a direct this month or in December if not the TGA's.
I agree on the massive song inclusion gives the Tohou leak a lot more possiblity but feel the opposite when the CacoMallow leak since we didn't have anything to debunk it come true (like the Phoenix leak). Like others have been discussing, revealing both Doomslayer and Geno at the VGAs would send a massive shockwave through the gaming and Smash community alike so it makes sense if they are holding off on the reveals until then. I'm feeling pretty good about both them making it in and the Tohou leak which means Reimu's chances are looking great as well. :)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Terry has 17 remixes. 2 of them are the same song in different languages, so technically 16.

Assuming the music leak includes songs used in medleys, That paints a pretty favorable picture for the leak, imo. Now we just have to wait.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
So if Reimu is added, what songs do you all want?
I agree on the massive song inclusion gives the Tohou leak a lot more possiblity but feel the opposite when the CacoMallow leak since we didn't have anything to debunk it come true (like the Phoenix leak). Like others have been discussing, revealing both Doomslayer and Geno at the VGAs would send a massive shockwave through the gaming and Smash community alike so it makes sense if they are holding off on the reveals until then. I'm feeling pretty good about both them making it in and the Tohou leak which means Reimu's chances are looking great as well. :)
Now that you mention it, that sounds pretty perfect, Doomguy and Reimu are legit my most wanted picks so if I made it in the ****ing timeline where Reimu, Doomguy AND Geno were all announced as DLC I think this'd just flat-out be the perfect fighting game in my eyes.

Terry has 17 remixes. 2 of them are the same song in different languages, so technically 16.

Assuming the music leak includes songs used in medleys, That paints a pretty favorable picture for the leak, imo. Now we just have to wait.
17?! God bless SNK for being so cool with Sakurai. That only gives me more hope, nothing's out of the park now, the people saying "Reimu can't have so many music tracks, it'd give her pack more value than the others for the same price!" no longer have that argument as a leg to stand on. I swear with every reveal our chances have only gotten better, life is good.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
lol SNK making Square Enix look even more like an asshole than they already were

Also, the biggest takeaway in this direct imo is that Sakurai prioritizes fun over popularity, so "literally who" argument for any potential DLC fighters including Reimu is now out the window. And I can't be any happier.

So yeah, things are looking great if not better for Reimu now. I know I'm supposed to hype responsibly but I'm confident about Reimu in Smash more than ever!

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
lol SNK making Square Enix look even more like an asshole than they already were

Also, the biggest takeaway in this direct imo is that Sakurai prioritizes fun over popularity, so "literally who" argument for any potential DLC fighters including Reimu is now out the window. And I can't be any happier.

So yeah, things are looking great if not better for Reimu now. I know I'm supposed to hype responsibly but I'm confident about Reimu in Smash more than ever!
Yeah I'll admit that for all of my pessimism for literally anything Sakurai says that might be a red flag, that one statement he made about character move-set potential sounds promising for characters like Reimu who are disregarded over recognizability. Move-set potential? Right-freaking-there.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Not just Reimu, but pretty much any character with a extraordinary moveset no matter how recognizable or not they are.
I was only listing her as an example. My number 1 character is Kos-mos. Virtually no one outside of our support group even wants her in the game or cares.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I was only listing her as an example. My number 1 character is Kos-mos. Virtually no one outside of our support group even wants her in the game or cares.
My example would be Geno. Sakurai even noted his moveset potential when he talked about how he wanted him as a fighter.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It's going to be a painful wait till the next reveal, but today felt like a good day. Looking forward to what comes next! The reveal that they're willing to double down on music if they have the opportunity was particularly exciting. Even if Reimu never gets in, it's nice to know that series with particularly iconic OSTs can look forward to more content if they make it.

D

Deleted member

It's going to be a painful wait till the next reveal, but today felt like a good day. Looking forward to what comes next! The reveal that they're willing to double down on music if they have the opportunity was particularly exciting. Even if Reimu never gets in, it's nice to know that series with particularly iconic OSTs can look forward to more content if they make it.
We're all in the dark.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I have no idea who FP5 is but, to me, it really seems like Nintendo/Sakurai is building up for an "obscure" character for the Fighter Pass Finale. Still hoping that that character is Reimu. (I'll also take KOS-MOS because of that one leak)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have no idea who FP5 is but, to me, it really seems like Nintendo/Sakurai is building up for an "obscure" character for the Fighter Pass Finale. Still hoping that that character is Reimu. (I'll also take KOS-MOS because of that one leak)
I think it's very possible that the next two characters will be Geno and Doom Slayer because of that leaked video with the Mallow and Doom monster Mii costumes.

ABC Swoops

Smash Rookie
One thing I find especially fishy about that leak is that they chose two costumes that directly point towards highly speculated characters making it in. The Mallow and Cacodemon hats would be released alongside other Mii outfits, as all Mii costumes come in packs. If they had access to these two, it's not unreasonable to say they must have had the rest (unless you wanna go with "They work for Nintendo and that's all they have done at the moment").

But no, it's only the Mallow and Cacodemon hats, which just so happen to relate to two of the most talked about potential fighters. A little too coincidental.

Top Bottom