• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
March of this year? Huh... Why the long wait to publish?
I saw some speculation that maybe he didn't want to hint that TH17.5 might be very different until it was revealed? Not sure if I buy that though, it doesn't feel quite like what he was getting at in the interview with talking about his own games.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I saw some speculation that maybe he didn't want to hint that TH17.5 might be very different until it was revealed? Not sure if I buy that though, it doesn't feel quite like what he was getting at in the interview with talking about his own games.
That's what I've been seeing as well. Who knows I guess, But at least it opens up a possible 2020 season for Reimu.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't matter if she will be possible 5th fighter for the pass or next "fighter pass", still hyped

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
It seemingly took a while until they opened up the website for "Strange Articles of Outer Worlds"

Firstly, they were probably working on it over the past months and also, they were likely preparing a bunch of articles, reviews, and novels in advance so they have enough material to frequently update the website from now on.

It could also have something to do in deciding on which Touhou Station broadcast they wanted to announce the website... maybe it had to be close to this years Autumn Reitaisai for various other reasons?

Its also not like theyre forced to work on these quickly. They can take all their time they want.

Edit: According to some Friends, It seems the mention of "March" is unrelated to the Interview. You people should maybe stop spreading this around.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
2:30:33 is the exact moment where ZUN himself is saying that the interview was done in sometime around March. And they are laughing about Hiroyuki came in late for about 2 hours so ZUN started drinking by himself.
The interview is splitted in parts and the image shown in the video is from the article part 1 (and the mention of smash was from part 10 which is the last part). May be this is the reason some people were confused about it.
But the interview with Hiroyuki was all done in March.
https://touhougarakuta.com/index_interview/zun_long_interview

Last edited:

Thatchner

Smash Cadet
2:30:33 is the exact moment where ZUN himself is saying that the interview was done in sometime around March. And they are laughing about Hiroyuki came in late for about 2 hours so ZUN started drinking by himself.
The interview is splitted in parts and the image shown in the video is from the article part 1 (and the mention of smash was from part 10 which is the last part). May be this is the reason some people were confused about it.
But the interview with Hiroyuki was all done in March.
https://touhougarakuta.com/index_interview/zun_long_interview
Thank you for the clarification! :)

So with this interview taking place in March, it opens up the possibility of Reimu being a possible "Fighter Pass 2" character for 2020 (assuming that they'll continue releasing characters in the format of a Fighter Pass). This is certainly an interesting development!

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I’ve only begun to really learn about Touhou recently, and Reimu does seem like an incredibly interesting pick for this game. Is there any starting point to get into this series?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I’ve only begun to really learn about Touhou recently, and Reimu does seem like an incredibly interesting pick for this game. Is there any starting point to get into this series?
6 or 7 are good starting points. 6 is pretty ****ing hard, but it still gives you decent fundamentals to develop for the rest of the series. 7 is the first one that shows the actual hitbox and is easier than 6 to my knowledge. 17 is a good place to start too since it's pretty accessible.

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
I personally recommend 8 (Imperishable Night). There's actually a pretty big difficulty spike over halfway through 7, so I wouldn't really recommend it. IN's unique mechanic isn't hard to grasp either.

Other than that, 10 (Mountain of Faith) is also a good starting point.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I'd suggest 17. It's readily accessible on Steam, and ZUN (the creator) thinks it's the easiest in the series, plus the game is pretty generous with power-ups so it's fun to play. Beyond that, see above.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I would recommend TH 6 EOSD because a ton of people started with that game, and it is the first PC game so it is the "first" Touhou game as we know it.

It's not the easiest, but if you want to experience Touhou the way many others did, you'd start with that one. It has a lot of the most classic and iconic characters and music. Some start with 7, 8, or 10 though, and newer younger generations have started with even later games.

You can always use Continues anyway to get through the game, if you don't mind using Continues.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'd suggest 17. It's readily accessible on Steam, and ZUN (the creator) thinks it's the easiest in the series, plus the game is pretty generous with power-ups so it's fun to play. Beyond that, see above.
I'd recommend Hidden Star in Four Seasons over Wily Beast and Weakest Creature if you wanted one on Steam, personally, but only because I find that the amount of HP generic enemies have in TH17 makes stage segments much less fun.

Imperishable Night would definitely be my personal recommendation for a starting point.

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Okay, guys, let's get this thread active again: Who is your favorite character in Touhou, and what do you think they would do if they got in as an Assist Trophy?

I'll start:

Alice Margatroid: Sends out a bunch of dolls that spray bullets in a random pattern in front of her.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Okay, guys, let's get this thread active again: Who is your favorite character in Touhou, and what do you think they would do if they got in as an Assist Trophy?

I'll start:

Alice Margatroid: Sends out a bunch of dolls that spray bullets in a random pattern in front of her.
Flandre Scarlet, she will target any fighters within her line of sight then uses her power to KO all targeted fighters.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

I'll start:

Marisa, and she'd definitely just BWOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM like half the stage with Master Spark. Basically just a weaker version of Samus's Final Smash stuck on an AT.

Luminario

Smash Lord
So i finally got around to making a moveset for our girl. I envisioned her design as from SWR-esque games, with 2 yin-yang orbs floating at her sides like that twitter post a while back.
Double Jump: Flight. Instead of a regular double jump, Reimu's double jump allows her to fly freely for 3-4 seconds. Reimu moves up slightly during the initial input, so you can't immediately fly downwards, you gotta turn down. You can't hover either, letting go of any direction just has Reimu fly in the direction she was going in. Like Peach's float you don't turn around while flying backwards. Peforming an aerial stops the flight.

Jab: 2 horizontal swipes with the gohei before she pushes forward with her palms.
Flurry: the Yin Yang orbs materialise and spin rapidly around Reimu. Though they orbit her body completely, only the front has hitboxes.

F tilt: Jabs straight forward with the gohei.
U tilt: Basic upward swipe.
D tilt: Swipes along the ground with her hand. Short range but very fast, a good shield poke.

Dash Attack: Mario's sliding dash attack.

F Smash: Materialises the yin-yang orbs and smashes them together forward.
U Smash: smashes the orbs above her head instead.
D Smash: Spins them around her feet.

Nair: Orbits the orbs around her.
Fair: Downward swipe with the gohei.
Bair: Swipes both orbs behind her, one after the other. 2 hits.
U air: ZSS Uair flip kick.
D air: the orbs circle her feet.

Down B: Danmaku Switch. Changes between Reimu A(needles, white and purple yin-yang orbs) and Reimu B(homing amulets, white and red orbs) essentially just changes her B moves and Final Smash. There's essentially no endlag on this move, so you can switch easily.

Reimu A:
B: Danmaku (Needle). Small needles shoot out of the orbs forwards, dealing tiny amounts of damage. Reimu can move freely, though attacking or entering hitstun immediately stops the shooting. Can be reflected and goes through other projectiles. turning around while the orbs are shooting doesn't change the shooting direction, so you can retreat while adding on damage.

Side B: Hakurei Barrier. Similar to Palutena's old side B. Reimu creates a reflecting wall her height that slowly moves forwards until around 1/3 FD. Summoning the barrier has a small bumper-like hitbox, but the barrier itself has no hitbox, not even a windbox. Pretty much for dealing with projectile characters. You can't summon another one until the first barrier has run it's course and disappeared.

Up B: Boundary Warp. Reimu blinks out of existence, appearing a certain distance away (little under 1/2 FD). If she appears in the air, she'll do a diving kick like ZSS' dair. If she appears on the ground, she'll only do a slow spin and have a windbox that shoot out either side.

Final Smash: Dream Sign "Evil Sealing Circle". Creates 4 walls that expand outwards, just like the bomb of the same name in the Touhou games. Essentially works like Giratina's tornadoes, but they don't extend all the way off screen if used from most centres of stages. Can be dodged through with perfect timing. More effective when playing with multiple opponents.

Reimu B:
B: Danmaku (Amulet). Small homing amulets shoot out of the orbs forwards, homing in on the closest enemy and dealing tiny damage. deals less damage than the needles and has less range, but the strong homing usually means you don't have to pay attention to where you're aiming. Same mechanics as the needles.

Side B: Yin-Yang Orb. Summons a yin-yang orb that goes in a steep angle downward and slightly forwards, bounces off surfaces, so using it on the ground away from a ledge makes the orb go upwards at a steep angle immediately. Good for edgeguarding and potentially stopping aerial approaches.

Up B: Fantasy Ascent. Surrounded by smaller versions of the Fantasy Seal rainbow orbs, Reimu ascends quickly. One of her more reliable kill options especially OOS, this has about the same range as Boundary Warp, only purely upwards. At the apex of the recovery the rainbow orbs pop, giving the move it's kill power.

Final Smash: Spirit Sign "Fantasy Seal". The classic rainbow balls of death. The orbs are released periodically and seek out the nearest opponent to whack into. Due to the homing nature of the orbs, better for focusing a single opponent.

Taunt 1: Faces the screen and swings the gohei from side to side.
Taunt 2: Holds her closed hand up and opens it, creating a single rainbow orb before dismissing it.
Taunt 3: Puts both hands on the gohei and closes her eyes, creating an aura around her and levitating off the ground slightly.

Victory Screen 1: Flies around before throwing paper charms at the screen during the freeze frame.
Victory Screen 2: Jumps into the air before using Fantasy Seal.
Victory Screen 3: Finds a single coin on the ground and holds it up with sparkly eyes for the freeze frame. Looks left and right for other change after.
I tried only taking slight inspiration from the fighting games, cause I didn't just wanna put her in move for move from those games.
Basic rundown of her gimmicks:
Danmaku Switch: In reference to her usually having Reimu A and B in most Touhou games and kinda referencing the change in anmaku when pressing shift, Reimu can switch her specials and Final Smash with down B between the Needle specials and the Homing Amulet specials.
Flight: Her double jump is replaced by Reimu being allowed to fly freely in any direction for a few seconds. You can't hover and using aerials cancels the flight time but it works very well with her danmaku.
Combining these two things allows Reimu to be adaptively annoying to any opponent, though she does have trouble killing.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Who is your favorite character in Touhou, and what do you think they would do if they got in as an Assist Trophy?
Hong Meiling. Fall asleep. >_>

But more realistically, she'd probably be focused on just chasing opponents and using marial arts. Maybe incorporate her ring-kick and pop-up attacks from Hisoutensoku with the primary focus being on knocking players into the air, then following up with a combo of flying kicks and punches or something. She could use "Rainbow Brilliance Palm" or "Rainbow Taichi" before expiring depending on player proximity.

As for who would specifically make a good AT though, I'd give it to Kisume. She could be like Mimikyu and drag people into the bucket. >_>

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I started with 6 EoSD, since it's the first game on windows, and since it's where many famous characters originate from. However, you should take in the fact that it isn't newcomer-friendly at all. It's one of the harder entries in the series.

So if you want to start with an easier one, I suggest 8 IN. But note that it's easy in Touhou standards, so it might still be kinda hard for newcomers, but it is relatively doable compared to the other entries.

Or, if you want a game with a better accessibility in the west, play one of the more recent ones like 17 WBaWC or 16 HSiFS, they're both on Steam.

After playing some games, I suggest you read through Touhou wiki. The fascinating universe and characters are what Touhou is all about.

I'll start:

Don't make me choose my fav Touhou character, man, I have too many. I can't choose one, so I'll choose 8.
First off, I LOVE the entire cast of SA. Especially Satori, Koishi, Yuugi and Parsee.
I also really love the Youkai mountain residents, especially Momiji, Aya and Nitori.
I also absolutely adore Kasen. She's simply great.

There are so much more to mention but I'll just stop it here before I list literally all of them...

Here are some ideas for their gimmicks as assist trophies:
Parsee: Uses her Jealousy of the Kind and Lovely spell card.
Yuugi/Momiji: Would be one of thoese fighter-like AT like Arms. Goes around beating people up. Yuugi uses her fists, and Momiji uses her sword.
Satori: Lags the opponents' moves, so that the player can "read" their moves much easily.
Koishi: Removes all player's lag. Opposite to what her sister does.
Aya: Would give the player who summoned her super speed, kinda like how she did to Reimu in SA.
Nitori: Immediately builds the 3-piece item (Dragoon/Daybreak) from scratch and gives it to the player who summoned her.

I don't really have any idea for Kasen though. She would... use her hermit art to assist the player? But that's kinda passive for a badass character like her imo....

Last edited:

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
I don't really have any idea for Kasen though. She would... use her hermit art to assist the player? But that's kinda passive for a badass character like her imo....
Could have her summon her various animals she guides to attack the other players

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Posting some neat artwork

I'll start:

Flandre's my favorite. Always has been since I discovered Touhou. If she were an Assist, I'd assume she'd use Laevatein. Do a Slash followed by bullets.

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Hong Meiling. Fall asleep. >_>
Haha. Maybe she could pull a Jigglypuff on anyone near her!

Posting some neat artwork

Flandre's my favorite. Always has been since I discovered Touhou. If she were an Assist, I'd assume she'd use Laevatein. Do a Slash followed by bullets.

Speaking of reveals...

So I just listened to Maiden's Capriccio (Reimu's boss theme in IN) again, and I realized how perfect the track would be for Reimu's reveal trailer, what with the beat dropping to begin the song.

I can already imagine it, actually.

The trailer begins with a hand (Reimu's) picking up the Smash envelope from the ground, before the sky turns red. Cut to the other DLC Characters (Joker, Banjo-Kazooie, the Hero, Terry Bogard) fighting, and losing, to a horde of Puppet fighters. A Final Smash Ball appears, but when the Puppets try to get it, a foot (again, Reimu's) kicks the Smash Ball and claiming it. As the DLC Fighters look up in surprise, the screen goes white, then flashes different colors before setting on light blue, which turns into a talisman being activated, revealing Reimu about to use Fantasy Nature-

CUE BEAT DROP.

REIMU HAKUREI BLASTS THE COMPETITION AWAY!

...Or Shows her Spirit, I guess.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1HMCherLSM2

This is my idea for Reimu’s Victory theme. It’s based on Theme of Eastern Story, which has a four-note motive found in the title screens for all the games

For assist trophies, I’d love Koishi to appear, throw danmaku and make the summoner invisible

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
Just a question: Who here's in charge of the ReimuForSmash twitter?

Also color me surprised - I never saw any mention of Sakuya.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I don't really know THE source of Sakurai is fan of shmup specifically but it's kind of a general consensus now that he loves STG genre since he talks about them all the time.
Here I found one by quick google Sakurai brings up a shmup game in his interview.

https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/interview/shuno_sakurai
This is about Sakurai's game collections. In there, he was asked what games he's playing currently (2016) on his smartphone and he brought up Danmaku Getsuyoubi (and Mojitan).
In the article below you can see a screenshot of the game. And the article itself is actually thanking Sakurai for mentioning the game.
http://www.gamecast-blog.com/archives/65882544.html

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Now that things have died down a bit, What do you think Reimu's chances are now? Both for FP5 and beyond?

Honestly, I'm torn on FP5. I can see scenarios where it does and doesn't happen. The thing that keeps nagging at me is the leak from the AoCF guy. In regards to Smash, I always think that long term leaks that originate outside of Nintendo have a bit more credibility because that's exactly how a lot of leaks end up happening in the first place. The notion that the rumors of Reimu in Smash from Doujin music circles has always been an odd one for me. It could still be bull****, and I want something to be there, but who really knows. With that said, I'd say 15%. That interview definitely made a dent in her chances, but there are always oddities like Grant and the SNK guy.

Post FP5 I'm a bit more hopeful. I'd give her around 40/50%. All her major competition is out of the way and she's one of the best characters to represent indies. Especially with the bump in support for Reimu spanning this year, I don't think it went unnoticed.

I don't really know THE source of Sakurai is fan of shmup specifically but it's kind of a general consensus now that he loves STG genre since he talks about them all the time.
Here I found one by quick google Sakurai brings up a shmup game in his interview.

https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/interview/shuno_sakurai
This is about Sakurai's game collections. In there, he was asked what games he's playing currently (2016) on his smartphone and he brought up Danmaku Getsuyoubi (and Mojitan).
In the article below you can see a screenshot of the game. And the article itself is actually thanking Sakurai for mentioning the game.
http://www.gamecast-blog.com/archives/65882544.html
There's definitely a lot that points to it, I'm just very wary of anyone stating something as fact without proof or a source. This happened during Ashley speculation when it was apparently "fact" that Sakurai said Ashley was a rising Star. This ended up being a bunk 4chan post but it was passed around almost like fact without a source.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Okay, so if this is real then it's pretty huge.
AoCF leaker dropped quite a lot of stuff.
I'll just summerize.

The leaker first heard the rumor of a certain doujin music circle is arranging Touhou music for Smash back in April at Nico Nico Chokaigi.
The leak he claimed earlier was all his fantasy from the actual information he has and other random talks from random people.
He said that he DOESN'T know Reimu is in or not, but the rumor IS specifically about Smash and due to the amount of contents it carries, he believes that she will be represented as a playable character.
Also he admitted that the rumor is still present today.

The information he has is the list of music.
Here it is.

Theme of Eastern Story
Maiden's Capriccio (he doesn't know which one)
Mystic Oriental Dream (not sure typo)
Spring Lane
Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly
Akutagawa Ryuunosuke's "Kappa"
Last Remote
Spring of Dreams
The Venerable Ancient Battlefield
Emotional Skyscraper
Shoutoku Legend
Inchlings of the Shining Needle
Sunny Milk's Scarlet Mist Incident
A Star of Hope Rises in the Blue Sky (it said 1st stage theme of HSiFS)
The Ground's Color is Yellow
Shinkirou Theatrical
Neo Bamboo Forest in Flames
Unknown X
Necrofantasia
Night Falls
Battlefield of the Flower Threshold
The Concealed Four Seasons (it said 2 final boss themes of HSiFS)
Secret God Matara (Okina Matara's second theme)

This list of music is very... interesting. I'm not sure how to feel about this.
The leaker also said there will be no Marisa themes and not only ZUN originals.
The fantasy he made was mostly from this list of music.
And the image he uploaded earlier was from Twilight Frontier so probably it's for Touhou 17.5.

Lastly, I think this was the biggest bomb drop.
The Touhou in Smash rumor goes something like this.
Doujin circle "hmm-hmm Koubou (Atelier)" who's known for their orchestral arrangement is doing works of Touhou music remixes for Smash.

TBH, the leak itself sounds bull**** but I'm frankly surprised by he actually name dropping certain doujin circle. Pretty risky move here,

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I'll just summerize.

The leaker first heard the rumor of a certain doujin music circle is arranging Touhou music for Smash back in April at Nico Nico Chokaigi.
The leak he claimed earlier was all his fantasy from the actual information he has and other random talks from random people.
He said that he DOESN'T know Reimu is in or not, but the rumor IS specifically about Smash and due to the amount of contents it carries, he believes that she will be represented as a playable character.
Also he admitted that the rumor is still present today.

The information he has is the list of music.
Here it is.

Theme of Eastern Story
Maiden's Capriccio (he doesn't know which one)
Mystic Oriental Dream (not sure typo)
Spring Lane
Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly
Akutagawa Ryuunosuke's "Kappa"
Last Remote
Spring of Dreams
The Venerable Ancient Battlefield
Emotional Skyscraper
Shoutoku Legend
Inchlings of the Shining Needle
Sunny Milk's Scarlet Mist Incident
A Star of Hope Rises in the Blue Sky (it said 1st stage theme of HSiFS)
The Ground's Color is Yellow
Shinkirou Theatrical
Neo Bamboo Forest in Flames
Unknown X
Necrofantasia
Night Falls
Battlefield of the Flower Threshold
The Concealed Four Seasons (it said 2 final boss themes of HSiFS)
Secret God Matara (Okina Matara's second theme)

This list of music is very... interesting. I'm not sure how to feel about this.
The leaker also said there will be no Marisa themes and not only ZUN originals.
The fantasy he made was mostly from this list of music.
And the image he uploaded earlier was from Twilight Frontier so probably it's for Touhou 17.5.

Lastly, I think this was the biggest bomb drop.
The Touhou in Smash rumor goes something like this.
Doujin circle "hmm-hmm Koubou (Atelier)" who's known for their orchestral arrangement is doing works of Touhou music remixes for Smash.

TBH, the leak itself sounds bull**** but I'm frankly surprised by he actually name dropping certain doujin circle. Pretty risky move here,
Wow, this is kinda big. I remember rumors about doujin participation in smash compositions from a while back. Now with something more concrete, it's worth keeping an eye on. Still, between the specificity of music and calling out a specific doujin circle, I agree this seems kinda fake.

...on the other hand, if there are no Marisa themes, that implies she'll be coming later. I suddenly want to believe this leak a lot.

Ayumi, where exactly is this info coming from?

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'll just summerize.
**** me.

Basically...

1. Rumor still persists after Interview (My interpretation of "still present today")
2. the "leaks" from August are a combination of his fantasy (Based on the list of music) and things others have said.
3. Reimu being playable isn't leaked, but the amount of content points towards that being the case (20+ songs from a third party franchise and not being playable just sounds unlikely, I'd understand this thought)
4. No Marisa themes (and by the looks of it, No Sakuya or Remilia either)
5. Bombshell with Dropping the name of a Doujin Circle. (Not a smart idea no matter if it's real or fake)

This is a lot. And really I don't know what to make of it. Do you have post numbers? Link to the thread? I'd like to find the posts on an archive.

Regardless, this is making me feel just like this:

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
No Shanghai Teahouse, Locked Girl, Satori Maiden, Lunatic Princess, Faith is for the Transient People, Border of Life, or Catastrophe in Bhava-Agra?

Why would someone be so giving and yet so cruel, all at once? :-(
Sakurai is a giving but vengeful god. Looking at that list is really giving me "Life will Change is strategically missing" vibes.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Sakurai is a giving but vengeful god. Looking at that list is really giving me "Life will Change is strategically missing" vibes.
While I was just mentioning some of my favorites before, I'd say the two really glaring omissions in terms of general fan reception would be the lack of 'Bad Apple' and 'The Gensokyo the Gods Loved', but I guess there's some precedent for it.

I personally don't buy that we'd get that many songs anyway, so eh... Regardless, it's still a fun point of discussion.

Top Bottom