• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

zferolie

Smash Hero
The only thing that saddens me is that a lot of 2ch's notable posts are usually at the expense of these characters whenever they're mentioned. It makes one question just how far support goes before we reach the hateposting.
I only caight them sayong saber is a meme pick. Not sure why they feel that way.

Also here is the translation of the latest column.

If sakurai has his way he would keep making dlc fighters forever it seems.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm working on a moveset for Reimu. Trying to think of how Sakurai would make her moveset. And the ideas i've come up with are kind of boring sounding. Makes me wish I had the time and patience to make animations.

ABC Swoops

Smash Rookie
I wish I noticed this sooner, but the Smash games actually sort of have grazing in them. If a move is close to hitting you but barely misses, you can see a little spark appear. These are called Glancing Blows. I think this would be a neat thing to make a mechanic out of if Reimu were added. It would be very faithful to the purpose of grazing in actual Touhou games: rewarding players for taking risks.

Unfortunately, I have no clue what this reward would be in Smash. Obviously they can't give points like in the original games. Possibly a slight increase in power for special moves or something each time an attack grazes you? Secondly, Glancing Blows are SUPER rare in Smash, only occurring when less than 0.1 units of a hitbox connect. An easy solution would just be to make it so that Reimu specifically has a wider area around her in which glancing blows will occur. Not sure if this would be too gimmicky, though (it does sound somewhat plausible since the DLC characters thus far have been fairly gimmicky anyways).

Sorry, I didn't intend for this to be so long. Just spitballing an idea I though of after learning about Smash's "grazing system."

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
I'm working on a moveset for Reimu. Trying to think of how Sakurai would make her moveset. And the ideas i've come up with are kind of boring sounding. Makes me wish I had the time and patience to make animations.
Were you trying to come up with original moves or using her moves from the fighting games then going from there?

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
I wish I noticed this sooner, but the Smash games actually sort of have grazing in them. If a move is close to hitting you but barely misses, you can see a little spark appear. These are called Glancing Blows. I think this would be a neat thing to make a mechanic out of if Reimu were added. It would be very faithful to the purpose of grazing in actual Touhou games: rewarding players for taking risks.

Unfortunately, I have no clue what this reward would be in Smash. Obviously they can't give points like in the original games. Possibly a slight increase in power for special moves or something each time an attack grazes you? Secondly, Glancing Blows are SUPER rare in Smash, only occurring when less than 0.1 units of a hitbox connect. An easy solution would just be to make it so that Reimu specifically has a wider area around her in which glancing blows will occur. Not sure if this would be too gimmicky, though (it does sound somewhat plausible since the DLC characters thus far have been fairly gimmicky anyways).

Sorry, I didn't intend for this to be so long. Just spitballing an idea I though of after learning about Smash's "grazing system."
I feel like she'd work best as a glass cannon of sorts.As in,she would have a lot of killing power but also be ridiculously easy to take out.After all,the touhou games are all about dodging **** so making her a character that has to be played somewhat defensively seems like it'd be a pretty good way of translating that into smash mechanics.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace

I don't think this needs a special mechanic attached to it. However it would be cool if she would get a special effect/sound when it happens to her as a little reference. Kinda like Ryu's shield.
I feel like she'd work best as a glass cannon of sorts.As in,she would have a lot of killing power but also be ridiculously easy to take out.After all,the touhou games are all about dodging **** so making her a character that has to be played somewhat defensively seems like it'd be a pretty good way of translating that into smash mechanics.
So you're saying Reimu is essentially :ultmewtwo:? :v)
But I agree, I think this is the best way to represent her. Another idea I had was making her hitbox slightly smaller than her model. Not as small as in the games off course but just small enough to make a difference.

Also speaking of movesets: One thing she absolutely needs is her bouncy Yin Yang orb from HRtP. When thinking about Reimu in Smash this is always the first thing that comes to my mind

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Were you trying to come up with original moves or using her moves from the fighting games then going from there?
Both. Since I have a feeling Sakurai would make her a zoner and an aerial based fighter. A lot of the moves would be her spraying bullets everywhere.

But there would be a few moves from the fighters dotted throughout her moveset.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So it's very interesting that mostly popular/exclusive Japanese franchises like Ganbare Goemon and Panel de Pon got Mii costumes in the form of Goemon and Lip in Ultimate so far. It's also interesting how we got Shovel Knight as a Assist Trophy and Sans as a Mii costume. With both mostly Japanese exclusive or Indie franchises getting such big content in the game, it wouldn't surprise me if we got a character or two in the DLC lineup that cater to those audiences.

Now you could say Hero was the big character to mostly please the Japanese, but who says he has to be the only one?

You guys get the interesting pattern about what I said above? Mostly Japanese exclusive and Indie? Reimu is both of those. So with her being such a big and important Indie figure and her being from a EXTREMELY popular franchise in Japan, things might be looking a lot better for the shrine maiden's chances to join the battle than most of you guys realize.

Last edited:

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Both. Since I have a feeling Sakurai would make her a zoner and an aerial based fighter. A lot of the moves would be her spraying bullets everywhere.

But there would be a few moves from the fighters dotted throughout her moveset.
I think part of the problem is figuring out which moves are most fitting along with making room for the spell cards she most known for using. Actually when i think about it, the most recent fighting games uses controls for specials similar to smash. This is her move list from AoCF, https://aocf.koumakan.jp/Reimu_Hakurei

So it's very interesting that mostly popular/exclusive Japanese franchises like Ganbare Goemon and Panel de Pon got Mii costumes in the form of Goemon and Lip in Ultimate so far. It's also interesting how we got Shovel Knight as a Assist Trophy and Sans as a Mii costume. With both mostly Japanese exclusive or Indie franchises getting such big content in the game, it wouldn't surprise me if we got a character or two in the DLC lineup that cater to those audiences.

Now you could say Hero was the big character to mostly please the Japanese, but who says he has to be the only one?

You guys get the interesting pattern about what I said above? Mostly Japanese exclusive and Indie? Reimu is both of those. So with her being such a big and important Indie figure and her being from a EXTREMELY popular franchise in Japan, things might be looking a lot better for the shrine maiden's chances to join the battle than most of you guys realize.
This is why i am very confident that Reimu will be playable in ultimate as the last character for this set of DLC, even more so for the 2nd set of characters. Hoping we can get Marisa as an echo fighter.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think part of the problem is figuring out which moves are most fitting along with making room for the spell cards she most known for using. Actually when i think about it, the most recent fighting games uses controls for specials similar to smash. This is her move list from AoCF, https://aocf.koumakan.jp/Reimu_Hakurei

This is why i am very confident that Reimu will be playable in ultimate as the last character for this set of DLC, even more so for the 2nd set of characters. Hoping we can get Marisa as an echo fighter.
Marisa and reimu are way too different to be echos

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Marisa and reimu are way too different to be echos
In that case maybe have a Reimu that represents the more modern fighting games then an echo for the older fighting games. There is a enough moves from the older fighting games to make this possible.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Based on the characters selected thus far, I'd imagine Reimu would be selected more so in part for the Chinese/Koreans.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
So seems like Reimu's chances are even higher now based on new information with Nicalis, one of the distributors of Cave Story

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
As announced at this years Tokyo Game Show:
Like with previous entries of Taito's Rakugaki Kingdom (Graffiti Kingdom) series, there will be yet another collaboration with Touhou in having Reimu Hakurei appearing in the game in some form. (From what I gathered, It will have ZUN as a secret boss that has her as one of his units)

And it also seems like we will could be having other Touhou elements that you can add to your drawings/characters?

Keep in mind that so far, there doesnt seem to be a confirmed western english release for this
and that this entry of the series seems to be mobile only.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
As announced at this years Tokyo Game Show:
Like with previous entries of Taito's Rakugaki Kingdom (Graffiti Kingdom) series, there will be yet another collaboration with Touhou in having Reimu Hakurei appearing in the game in some form. (From what I gathered, It will have ZUN as a secret boss that has her as one of his units)

Oh wow, didn’t you expect to see PC98 Reimu in anything.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think they said Quote isn't going to be in Smash.
You got an actual source of that?

Also, i know this is floating around on other threads but didnt see this here.

Iwata was a close friend of Sakurai's and its touching to see him as the inspiration to make this game as amazing as it could be.

Last, here is is a new smash bros style touhou music!

Rikarte

Smash Ace
You got an actual source of that?

Also, i know this is floating around on other threads but didnt see this here.

Iwata was a close friend of Sakurai's and its touching to see him as the inspiration to make this game as amazing as it could be.

Last, here is is a new smash bros style touhou music!

I saw this playlist being shared on the Smash Subreddit! Honestly surprised by how positive and open minded people where about the thought of Reimu's inclusion over there. Just a few weeks ago people went "Ugh, anime cringe" or "Literally who?!" when just mentioning Touhou so this is a really pleasant change.

...also the song is Scarlet Chain by xi-on

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I saw this playlist being shared on the Smash Subreddit! Honestly surprised by how positive and open minded people where about the thought of Reimu's inclusion over there. Just a few weeks ago people went "Ugh, anime cringe" or "Literally who?!" when just mentioning Touhou so this is a really pleasant change.

...also the song is Scarlet Chain by xi-on
I'm surprised too as they don't like Shantae that much over there. If they dislike Shantae, than I definitely would have thought they would throw fire at anyone mentioning Reimu.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'm surprised too as they don't like Shantae that much over there. If they dislike Shantae, than I definitely would have thought they would throw fire at anyone mentioning Reimu.
She's pretty influential and has a lot more going for her that makes her more acceptable as a whole. A pleasant surprise to be sure.

I just remembered something that I should have posted with my introduction to this thread, so better late than never, eh?
Scarlet_Devil_Mansion_(Touhou_Project).jpg

I made my own interpretation of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. This was the last stage I made before going on a big break (and moving to a new home in the last month or so). I have some gameplay snippets below so you can get an idea of what it looks from different angles. I always record these to see if frames dip so I can fix those issues and make these stages playable.
Regular:

With items:

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
She's pretty influential and has a lot more going for her that makes her more acceptable as a whole. A pleasant surprise to be sure.

I just remembered something that I should have posted with my introduction to this thread, so better late than never, eh?
View attachment 238083
I made my own interpretation of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. This was the last stage I made before going on a big break (and moving to a new home in the last month or so). I have some gameplay snippets below so you can get an idea of what it looks from different angles. I always record these to see if frames dip so I can fix those issues and make these stages playable.
Regular:

With items:
Wow, this looks great! You've got some serious talent there my dude.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So how many colors do you all think will be references to other characters?
If she did get in, I’d fully expect Marisa and Sanae themed colors and a costume for PC98 Reimu.

View attachment 238083
Regular:

With items:
That stage is amazing!

D

Deleted member

I'm actually honestly surprised there's nothing Touhou related in Smash. Like when it comes to Indie representation, we've had Commander Video (trophy), Shovel Knight (AT) and Sans (costume, music), all of which are western, nothing from the Japanese side yet. You'd think there'd at least be a music track.

Marisa > Reimu though, fight me.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151

I actually really love this concept, I'd argue it reflects the gameplay of Touhou quite well. Adjusting the glancing blow hitbox to be larger would help for sure, and this would be a really unique character gimmick that isn't over-encompassing or annoying to play against. I imagine each graze would increase her attack power by some percentage, the balance team can figure out the calculations. I can hear the ticks of each graze in my head now...

There's a couple of other elements that I'd personally incorporate into her moveset as well. First and foremost, I think it's fitting to include a lot of projectiles in her kit to simulate a bullet-hell. BUT, to avoid becoming one of those projectile camping characters, a majority of the projectiles she can fire off wouldn't actually put enemies into hitstun, rather acting like Fox's lasers where they do damage but don't halt their movement. Some of course would deal knockback and potentially set up into combos, maybe incorporating the yin yang balls in some form would work for that. Regardless, I think these types of projectiles would put the opponent in a situation where they need to determine whether they want to just take the damage to gain ground or make an attempt to block or avoid it.

Another idea I think would be fitting, and would actually work together with the grazing system, would be the ability to slow down your movement. I'm not entirely sure how to incorporate it, but maybe something similar to Peach's floating ability. However, instead of floating in place, you descend very slowly and your horizontal speed is slowed as well. This would allow you to more easily position yourself next to opponent's attacks without getting hit, and even trip opponents up (for example launching an opponent upward and then floating in the air, waiting to react to their commitment and letting go of the float to go in for an attack).

I know I voiced my support at one point some time ago, but since it's been a while I felt it reasonable to reinstate my support. I definitely think we have a good shot this time around.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
I actually really love this concept, I'd argue it reflects the gameplay of Touhou quite well. Adjusting the glancing blow hitbox to be larger would help for sure, and this would be a really unique character gimmick that isn't over-encompassing or annoying to play against. I imagine each graze would increase her attack power by some percentage, the balance team can figure out the calculations. I can hear the ticks of each graze in my head now...

There's a couple of other elements that I'd personally incorporate into her moveset as well. First and foremost, I think it's fitting to include a lot of projectiles in her kit to simulate a bullet-hell. BUT, to avoid becoming one of those projectile camping characters, a majority of the projectiles she can fire off wouldn't actually put enemies into hitstun, rather acting like Fox's lasers where they do damage but don't halt their movement. Some of course would deal knockback and potentially set up into combos, maybe incorporating the yin yang balls in some form would work for that. Regardless, I think these types of projectiles would put the opponent in a situation where they need to determine whether they want to just take the damage to gain ground or make an attempt to block or avoid it.

Another idea I think would be fitting, and would actually work together with the grazing system, would be the ability to slow down your movement. I'm not entirely sure how to incorporate it, but maybe something similar to Peach's floating ability. However, instead of floating in place, you descend very slowly and your horizontal speed is slowed as well. This would allow you to more easily position yourself next to opponent's attacks without getting hit, and even trip opponents up (for example launching an opponent upward and then floating in the air, waiting to react to their commitment and letting go of the float to go in for an attack).

I know I voiced my support at one point some time ago, but since it's been a while I felt it reasonable to reinstate my support. I definitely think we have a good shot this time around.
Don't forget about Reimu having a smaller hitbox too

;)

Rikarte

Smash Ace
But wait... Isn't Reimu just a kid?
Reimu doesn't have a canon age. However she does drink alcohol so she's probably in her late teens/early 20s

I'll ship Reimu with Snake if she ever gets in. The two badass characters Smash fans should be proud of.
I'd ship her with Richter since both have experience in fighting vampires and spamming projectiles. His red alt even has the Reimu color scheme.
Also: Touhouvania Reimu
Hakurei.Reimu.full.1227662.jpg

Top Bottom