• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Has any new polls emerge recently with Reimu getting good amount of votes? I imagine she will get more support now since undertale is in.

Math Jreeds 1284

Smash Cadet
Geez everything's up in the air again x)

It wouldnt be safe for me to assume support for her will rise because of that due to not knowing how much the Touhou fanbase cares for Undertale. Not that it's completely necessary since Sakurai or Nintendo will figure out Reimu's the face of genre it's influenced by.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice

Math Jreeds 1284

Smash Cadet
Tryna figure out who specifically is running that current poll. Most, if not all, of the ones I've seen have been ran by Source gaming.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Reimu getting in would break the internet so that's not very surprising.She's pretty much the japanese banjo.
You'd probably get a ton of whining from a good chunk of the western fanbase though if she got revealed.
If you look at some the Reimu threads on the gamefaqs smash ultimate board, or any past smash board on there, you will find a chunk of trolls there. It used to be a lot worse, but she still gets mixed reactions. Happy that she is getting more recognition though to some degree.

A user on twitter noticed something during the Terry reveal. If you watch the reveal carefully you will notice that as it goes backwards according to the timeline of consoles it stops in between Game & Watch and NES before it skips to 1991. The timeline where it stops exactly is around 1981-1985. The first touhou game was made for the PC-98 system. What makes this interesting is that PC-98 system was first released in 1982. He does admit it might a bit of a stretch or Nintendo did it on purpose to tease that the 5th character aka Challenger 5 is Reimu.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If you look at some the Reimu threads on the gamefaqs smash ultimate board, or any past smash board on there, you will find a chunk of trolls there. It used to be a lot worse, but she still gets mixed reactions. Happy that she is getting more recognition though to some degree.
If we're being frank, because of that negativity, I think the 5th character will be somewhat... divisive. The fact that they already announced more DLC before the first 5 are done is VERY weird to me. Most fighting games simply don't do that. Reimu is really one of the only ones I feel really hits that train home. She's pretty much everything the Smash fanbase is against on a surface level. To me, that tells me that they don't want people's first reaction to the final DLC to be anger, but more something along the lines with what happened with Terry or Hero, which was more mild upon initial revelation rather than anger. Knowing there's more after a "controversial" pick like Reimu would calm the anger before it even happens.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
If we're being frank, because of that negativity, I think the 5th character will be somewhat... divisive. The fact that they already announced more DLC before the first 5 are done is VERY weird to me. Most fighting games simply don't do that. Reimu is really one of the only ones I feel really hits that train home. She's pretty much everything the Smash fanbase is against on a surface level. To me, that tells me that they don't want people's first reaction to the final DLC to be anger, but more something along the lines with what happened with Terry or Hero, which was more mild upon initial revelation rather than anger. Knowing there's more after a "controversial" pick like Reimu would calm the anger before it even happens.
Either that or someone from a smaller franchise(let's say Lloyd or Velvet from the tales series) who would otherwise be perceived as stealing a spot from a character frpm insert old game here the complainer is personally nostalgic to here.

ABC Swoops

Smash Rookie
A user on twitter noticed something during the Terry reveal. If you watch the reveal carefully you will notice that as it goes backwards according to the timeline of consoles it stops in between Game & Watch and NES before it skips to 1991. The timeline where it stops exactly is around 1981-1985. The first touhou game was made for the PC-98 system. What makes this interesting is that PC-98 system was first released in 1982. He does admit it might a bit of a stretch or Nintendo did it on purpose to tease that the 5th character aka Challenger 5 is Reimu.
Though admittedly interesting, I personally don't buy the "Terry Reveal Hinting At Reimu" theory. Terry's trailer highlighted the peak/ classic era of SNK games. Though Touhou did originate on the PC-98, it didn't really hit it's stride until EoSD in 2002.
Also, for the final fighter of the 1st Fighter's Pass, I think they'd go with a cinematic trailer like Hero or Banjo's, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Either that or someone from a smaller franchise(let's say Lloyd or Velvet from the tales series) who would otherwise be perceived as stealing a spot from a character frpm insert old game here the complainer is personally nostalgic to here.
I think that is part of the reason Banjo got in mainly due to nostalgia from when it was on the N64, where as the series nowadays hasn't done much since Nuts & Bolts. Same can apply to other Nintendo and other 3rd party potential reps that haven't seen much since the old days, Geno.
Though admittedly interesting, I personally don't buy the "Terry Reveal Hinting At Reimu" theory. Terry's trailer highlighted the peak/ classic era of SNK games. Though Touhou did originate on the PC-98, it didn't really hit it's stride until EoSD in 2002.
Also, for the final fighter of the 1st Fighter's Pass, I think they'd go with a cinematic trailer like Hero or Banjo's, but that's just my opinion.
Yeah, the idea itself is a bit of a stretch but it would be funny if Nintendo did confirm Reimu was teased when the terry trailer was released but i doubt they would. Community reaction would be hilarious

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Oh yeah, that Terry Trailer with the timeline of Nintendo consoles...
Amazing, I cant believe we're getting the Pre-Game & Watch Rep that is Napoleon from Nintendo's Hanafuda cards.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
So, what do you guys think Reimu's chances are as of right now?
Hard to tell. At this point I think anything could happen. I will say though that her chances are better than ever before with Undertale presumably being out of the running

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hard to tell. At this point I think anything could happen. I will say though that her chances are better than ever before with Undertale presumably being out of the running
Do you think Sakurai would choose Reimu over a Indie character that is popular in the west like Shantae, Shovel Knight, or Hellow Knight? I kind think he would. It would be a lot healthier for Smash if we get more characters that are mostly only loved by the Japanese.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Do you think Sakurai would choose Reimu over a Indie character that is popular in the west like Shantae, Shovel Knight, or Hellow Knight? I kind think he would. It would be a lot healthier for Smash if we get more characters that are mostly only loved by the Japanese.
I think her being Japanese is at least a big plus as it gets rid of the language barrier. I also believe that if we would get an indie character it would be someone that carries some history, so no Shovel Knight or Hat Kid.
To me, that only really leaves Quote and Reimu as the most likely indie reps.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
I don't think anything needed to be discussed. If you're familiar with Touhou, the inspiration is outright clear as day. I'm sure Sakurai already knew that.

Not gonna lie though, that sans costume scares the hell out of me because that does open Reimu up to the same fate. Regardless, She's really the only indie left standing at this point and with no clear leaks pointing to a particular direction, I'm glad she's still in the game.
I think Shantae has a good chance still. I really don't think Spirits deconfirm, especially if more DLC is coming, maybe even 10 more after the first pass. That means they can make spirits fighters as they most likely weren't even thinking of the dlc characters for them when they made spirits.

Shantae and Reimu are the top picks for Indie reps atm. Both I would love.
Even if this is all true, it could very well lead to a favorable case for Reimu. Consider how some of the most popular Indie Reps have each had a different form of representation thus far: Spirit (Shantae), Assist Trophy (Shovel Knight), Mii Outfit (Sans).

And now, the only metric left to represent is a playable fighter, with Reimu likely taking the spot.

The only competition that stands in Reimu's path at this point are Minecraft (Vergeben previously mentioned the high likelihood of Minecraft content eventually) and Shantae (assuming spirits don't deconfirm a character's inclusion).

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So, what do you guys think Reimu's chances are as of right now?
IMO, higher than they've ever been. All the other big name indies but Quote are out of the way. If there's an Indie fighter in the first 5 slots, then it's Reimu at this point. That's the only hurdle I see at the moment. After the 5, I think it opens the door a bit since I think there's a proverbial reset on speculation, imo (outside of maybe sans and other Mii Costumes released during the FP).

Even if this is all true, it could very well lead to a favorable case for Reimu. Consider how some of the most popular Indie Reps have each had a different form of representation thus far: Spirit (Shantae), Assist Trophy (Shovel Knight), Mii Outfit (Sans).

And now, the only metric left to represent is a playable fighter, with Reimu likely taking the spot.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. The last barrier (heh) for indies is a playable character and I see it happening sooner rather than later.

The only competition that stands in Reimu's path at this point are Minecraft (Vergeben previously mentioned the high likelihood of Minecraft content eventually) and Shantae (assuming spirits don't deconfirm a character's inclusion).
I wouldn't take the minecraft rumors to heart. Verge is pretty sold on it being bull**** at this point and I've heard (Hearsay, but I have nothing better) that the source of that information is unreliable.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
I think an indie rep is a lock, and its between Reimu and Shantae
Both are the only really plausible choices imo.Helps that both are also relatively popular characters in japan.

Being a spirit honestly shouldn't mean anything.Both of K.rools alter egos from the DKC trilogy are already in the game so there's already precedence for playable characters having spirit versions of themselves.
Let's not forget how in smash 4 the base game had a Mewtwo trophy in it.

I don't think Reimu is a lock quite yet.I think it's kind of a coin flip if she gets to be the games inevitable indie character.

Last edited:

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
IMO, higher than they've ever been. All the other big name indies but Quote are out of the way. If there's an Indie fighter in the first 5 slots, then it's Reimu at this point. That's the only hurdle I see at the moment. After the 5, I think it opens the door a bit since I think there's a proverbial reset on speculation, imo (outside of maybe sans and other Mii Costumes released during the FP).

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The last barrier (heh) for indies is a playable character and I see it happening sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't take the minecraft rumors to heart. Verge is pretty sold on it being bull**** at this point and I've heard (Hearsay, but I have nothing better) that the source of that information is unreliable.
Agreed, Minecraft may be more likely to get a non playable rep due to being western series, even though its massively popular globally, like you said earlier, popularity only goes so far. Also agree that shantae and reimu are the only indie reps of notable fame, but the edge still goes to Reimu due to her more extensive history compared to Shantae. Cave Story depends on whether if the devs really want Quote in smash but i still consider Quote more likely than Steve, Shovel, or Undertale. Reimu definitely had the highest chance than ever before and will just increase more
Both are the only really plausible choices imo.Helps that both are also relatively popular characters in japan.
Its hard to judge how big Shantae really is in Japan compared to Reimu. I still think Nintendo will give a playable spot to Reimu as the indie rep since Shantae is more recognized as a western indie icon despite the original game being published by Capcom. I wouldn't mind if both got in as playable characters before the next installment, however, still think Reimu will get in first. But i can't deny that shantae does have some popularity in Japan.

Last edited:

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, Minecraft may be more likely to get a non playable rep due to being western series, even though its massively popular globally, like you said earlier, popularity only goes so far. Also agree that shantae and reimu are the only indie reps of notable fame, but the edge still goes to Reimu due to her more extensive history compared to Shantae. Cave Story depends on whether if the devs really want Quote in smash but i still consider Quote more likely than Steve, Shovel, or Undertale. Reimu definitely had the highest chance than ever before and will just increase more

Its hard to judge how big Shantae really is in Japan compared to Reimu. I still think Nintendo will give a playable spot to Reimu as the indie rep since Shantae is more recognized as a western indie icon despite the original game being published by Capcom. I wouldn't mind if both got in as playable characters before the next installment, however, still think Reimu will get in first. But i can't deny that shantae does have some popularity in Japan.
I am in no way arguing that Shantae is more popular in Japan than Reimu.Touhou is practically the face of japanese otaku culture.No franchise no matter how successful is ever going to approach that.Just pointing out that the 2 of them are the only plausible indies that have a decent amount of popularity in japan.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
I am in no way arguing that Shantae is more popular in Japan than Reimu.Touhou is practically the face of japanese otaku culture.No franchise no matter how successful is ever going to approach that.Just pointing out that the 2 of them are the only plausible indies that have a decent amount of popularity in japan.
Misunderstanding on my end, sorry about that. We still agree though that they are front runners for indie reps

Dukefire

Smash Master
Coming from the Shantae support, I do hope Reimu can make it. With the Shrine Priestess and the Half Genie as the frontrunner on Indie Support, its possible one of the two can become a fighter.

The other invitations are waiting after the Fighters Pass is finished

Prince777

NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722

Being a spirit honestly shouldn't mean anything.Both of K.rools alter egos from the DKC trilogy are already in the game so there's already precedence for playable characters having spirit versions of themselves.
Let's not forget how in smash 4 the base game had a Mewtwo trophy in it.

I don't think Reimu is a lock quite yet.I think it's kind of a coin flip if she gets to be the games inevitable indie character.
I totally agree dude!
The case for Mewtwo (and Lucas) were different tho, because they were previously veterans and they aren't third party characters.

Reimu and Shantaes chances are at all time high right now regardless. I do hope that at least one of them are the DLC's for the next wave.
Undertales representation really boosted Reimus (one of the last big Indies to be represented and Toby was vocal of how the series took inspiration from Touhou).
Not quite a lock yet, but it's safe to say that we're gettin' there.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Made a small thread. It doesn't add anything that hasn't been discussed before but I felt it was nice. Thoughts I just had when thinking of possible indie game characters in Smash and who i'd want.

Really, I think a Japanese indie character is very possible right now since most of the big western ones are now out of the running.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Made a small thread. It doesn't add anything that hasn't been discussed before but I felt it was nice. Thoughts I just had when thinking of possible indie game characters in Smash and who i'd want.

Really, I think a Japanese indie character is very possible right now since most of the big western ones are now out of the running.
I think Shantae has the best shot right now for the Indie slot along with Reimu.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'm already in the KOS-MOS, Dante, and Saber support threads, so I figured I'd join in on this one as well. She's currently my second Most-Wanted character, so I'm hoping the extra DLC we're getting will be her chance to finally become playable.

ABC Swoops

Smash Rookie
Theory: Reimu is taking so long to get into Smash because the music team is making a crap ton of new Touhou remixes

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
I'm already in the KOS-MOS, Dante, and Saber support threads, so I figured I'd join in on this one as well. She's currently my second Most-Wanted character, so I'm hoping the extra DLC we're getting will be her chance to finally become playable.
With how popular Fate is as a franchise at this point, i would love to see Artoria get in. Be even better if either Artoria then Reimu got in then the other back to back

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
With how popular Fate is as a franchise at this point, i would love to see Artoria get in. Be even better if either Artoria then Reimu got in then the other back to back
Not sure if this was posted already, but I think it's relevant, at least as far as popularity goes for ONE site so far:
It caught me off-guard how suddenly popular they've gotten as choices after a long and on-going discussion of...pretty much every other character that was talked about endlessly to hell and back (in both the East and the West). The Extra Fighters feel like a golden opportunity for both of them, which would be Hilarious in Hindsight considering the decade-old "Type-Moon vs. Touhou" wars, especially in a certain site I cannot name here.

Regardless, I'm keeping my eye out on anything newsworthy. At this point, some cards are lining up for certain characters that aren't already in the game, so we're allowed to be optimistic again so long as we continue to push the message forward in a positive manner. Sakurai announcing more DLC suggests he has an idea of where to go for character selection, so I have no doubt in my mind that he might have a fully-playable Indie rep in the cards somewhere.

I think part of the reason they chose Sans for a costume instead of a spot of on the roster is harder to make a fighter out of Sans or any undertale character really than Shantae or Reimu. Its possible they may add in another undertale character, but from i have seen in the past i think people would favor Reimu as the indie rep instead.
I should probably note that I've come up with a sample move-set for Frisk in the past. They're glossed over heavily and it's disappointing because there is potential to them as a character. In fact, I even proposed Sans functioning as a stage hazard for a hypothetical Undertale location. It just fits his character better given his general play style. That being said, I feel like there is a missed opportunity with the lack of a Shovel Knight Mii Outfit as well, just given the circumstances and whatnot. All bases seem to be covered at the moment, so a playable is the next logical step.

Prince777

NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Not sure if this was posted already, but I think it's relevant, at least as far as popularity goes for ONE site so far:
It caught me off-guard how suddenly popular they've gotten as choices after a long and on-going discussion of...pretty much every other character that was talked about endlessly to hell and back (in both the East and the West). The Extra Fighters feel like a golden opportunity for both of them, which would be Hilarious in Hindsight considering the decade-old "Type-Moon vs. Touhou" wars, especially in a certain site I cannot name here.

Regardless, I'm keeping my eye out on anything newsworthy. At this point, some cards are lining up for certain characters that aren't already in the game, so we're allowed to be optimistic again so long as we continue to push the message forward in a positive manner. Sakurai announcing more DLC suggests he has an idea of where to go for character selection, so I have no doubt in my mind that he might have a fully-playable Indie rep in the cards somewhere.

I should probably note that I've come up with a sample move-set for Frisk in the past. They're glossed over heavily and it's disappointing because there is potential to them as a character. In fact, I even proposed Sans functioning as a stage hazard for a hypothetical Undertale location. It just fits his character better given his general play style. That being said, I feel like there is a missed opportunity with the lack of a Shovel Knight Mii Outfit as well, just given the circumstances and whatnot. All bases seem to be covered at the moment, so a playable is the next logical step.
That's really good to know! It doesn't seem to be too different from the last poll that was introduced, overall. Her immense popularity in Japan is allowing me to think that Sakurai has plans for her down the line. He reads forums and notices how she's been consistently mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if ZUN and Sakurai have a close relationship; I recall some mentioning how they were drinking buddies. Undertale's inclusion is one large step closer since Toby took inspiration from Touhou and is close with ZUN.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Apparently no one could find a source for this list so I'm just gonna assume it's just as meaningless as that one "poll" making the rounds on Twitter two days ago.
Still, some publicity for Reimu is always nice. I've already seen a few people asking who the girl at #4 was.

Top Bottom