• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Anyone know how popular Touhou is in China? I know there was that campaign to name the Flower Reimu and that a few of the scientists that discovered/made that flower were Touhou fans as well, but I'm curious as to how widespread the popularity is in China.
I think it has its fans. There are some indie companies making touhou games. I know there is a rougue like being or was made by them?

God i hope we find out more about the swotch version of skydrift. Loved the pc version and want it on my switch. The touhou event is soon right?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think it has its fans. There are some indie companies making touhou games.
Hmm. Either way, I'm pretty positive that we will likely get a character that appeals to the Chinese in the Fighter pass. The top two candidates for that, imo, are an SNK rep and Touhou.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmm. Either way, I'm pretty positive that we will likely get a character that appeals to the Chinese in the Fighter pass. The top two candidates for that, imo, are an SNK rep and Touhou.
Interesting idea. Snk that big in china? Mai would be fun

JadeBladeGamer22

Smash Cadet
Interesting idea. Snk that big in china? Mai would be fun
You know, when you think about how the Fighter's Pass is going right now,

All-around popular character
Very popular in Japan
and Very Popular in the USA

It makes sense for China to appear, (highest population)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
You know, when you think about how the Fighter's Pass is going right now,

All-around popular character
Very popular in Japan
and Very Popular in the USA

It makes sense for China to appear, (highest population)
It's also getting the Switch sometime soon and it will be the first time in at least 14 years for a Nintendo console to have an official release in China as consoles were banned in China since the early 2000's. It's a huge and emerging market, it makes all the sense in the world to appeal to them on some level.

Last edited:

JadeBladeGamer22

Smash Cadet
It's also getting the Switch sometime soon and it will be the first time in at least 14 years for a Nintendo console to have an official release in China as consoles were banned in China since the early 2000's. It's a huge and emerging market, it makes all the sense in the world to appeal to them on some level.

Now that you mention it this is getting alarmingly believable, Reimu Hype!

Tabbender

Smash Rookie
Anyone know how popular Touhou is in China? I know there was that campaign to name the Flower Reimu and that a few of the scientists that discovered/made that flower were Touhou fans as well, but I'm curious as to how widespread the popularity is in China.
China is actually the country where Touhou is the most popular excluding Japan. A lot of people there would most definitely be familiar with Reimu.
Now, is it really a given that we're getting a Chinese-pandering character ? It would make sense, but who knows.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
China is actually the country where Touhou is the most popular excluding Japan. A lot of people there would most definitely be familiar with Reimu.
Now, is it really a given that we're getting a Chinese-pandering character ? It would make sense, but who knows.
That's good to know.

My prediction of a China pandering character should be taken as nothing but a prediction. It's one of many variables I've considered to trying to predict the DLC since I made my original prediction in December.

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
The Dragon Quest Hero and Banjo actually help Reimu out a lot. The Dragon Quest Hero because the series' popularity is primarily centralized in Japan (and by that I mean typical games have around 80-90% of their sales come from Japan), completely and utterly burying the stupid 'It's not relevant in the west!' argument, and both the hero and Banjo show the importance of, amongst other things, a notable legacy, regardless of how popular a series is in the west or if the series is alive or not.

Reimu most assuredly fits the bill of 'a notable legacy'.

Last edited:

remilia

Smash Cadet
Is ZUN on board with this? Have there been any interviews of him talking about smash bros and reimu being in the series?
There's certainly a lot of support for Reimu being in smash (I support it, I love touhou!) but if ZUN doesn't want that it's probably not going to happen.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Is ZUN on board with this? Have there been any interviews of him talking about smash bros and reimu being in the series?
There's certainly a lot of support for Reimu being in smash (I support it, I love touhou!) but if ZUN doesn't want that it's probably not going to happen.
Nothing about Smash specifically, but ZUN is fond of Nintendo and has even collaborated with Bandai Namco in the past as well (Hence the appearance of Touhou characters in the Taiko Drum Master series).

Last edited:

remilia

Smash Cadet
Nothing about Smash specifically, but ZUN is fond of Nintendo and has even collaborated with Bandai Namco in the past as well (Hence the appearance of Touhou characters in the Taiko Drum Master series).
Ah, thats good to hear! Reimu is one of the characters I'd like to see most. Not sure of the chances but anything is possible

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think if ZUN's worked with Bamco, he'd be fine with Nintendo having a go.

Tabbender

Smash Rookie
Updating this because i double checked and it seems China is in fact 6th (according to google trends). 2nd is South Korea. I have no idea what lead me to believe it was 2nd. Maybe the fact that Touhou is still notoriously pretty big there.
Dragon Quest is pretty big there too (China is 11th for DQ), so maybe they consider this demographic to be taken already, idk.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Not so much Smash related, but could be more Touhou on Switch related. I had heard of Joycon sprited being in Luna Nights reecent update and decided to look for myself. And Sure enough, they were there. Could Mean Luna Nights is getting a Switch port or it could mean nothing, but I'd totally double dip if it came to Switch. (Top Right for Joycons bottom left for Joycon Grip)

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Yes. There was a Unties Booth at Anime Expo and you could play Luna Nights on Switch
along with Genso Skydrift, Voice of the Dreambringer and Genso Wanderer: Lotus Labyrinth.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yes. There was a Unties Booth at Anime Expo and you could play Luna Nights on Switch
along with Genso Skydrift, Voice of the Dreambringer and Genso Wanderer: Lotus Labyrinth.
Looks like it was Japan Expo, not Anime Expo. But you're not wrong

I find it interesting since the game isn't even officially announced for the Switch.

zferolie

Smash Hero
anything new about skydrift? like new characters tracks or whatnot? even a release date?

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
anything new about skydrift? like new characters tracks or whatnot? even a release date?
I couldn't find anything, although to be honest I'm more waiting on an english release date for Genso Wanderer: Lotus Labyrinth.

Tabbender

Smash Rookie
Aw crap. To say that i almost got to Japan Expo this year but was too lazy / busy to so i decided against it. lmao

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It doesn't seem to be an official game. I could be wrong but from what I read this seems to be a fan game that got ZUN's approval.
Oh, I know it's not an official game. But I thought ZUN didn't want gacha games of Touhou to be made due to how predatory they are. I could be wrong, though. While trying to find info on this, I did find this twitter thread which was pretty interesting

https://twitter.com/poondonkus/status/1052235209717010432

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Monsters, Yokai, they're all the same.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

D

Deleted member

Monsters, Yokai, they're all the same.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Speaking of... what games do you believe they'll take from for Reimu in Ultimate? I'm assuming mainly EoSD and AoCF.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of... what games do you believe they'll take from for Reimu in Ultimate? I'm assuming mainly EoSD and AoCF.
I mean, I think it's pretty obvious EoSD design would be the default, but I'm more curious to see what costumes she might have.

It could be just color scheme change, but there are a couple of alts I'd like to see. Such as her new outfit in Touhou 17, or her old look from Highly Responsive to Prayers! That would be really cool imo.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I think it's pretty obvious EoSD design would be the default, but I'm more curious to see what costumes she might have.

It could be just color scheme change, but there are a couple of alts I'd like to see. Such as her new outfit in Touhou 17, or her old look from Highly Responsive to Prayers! That would be really cool imo.
I'm imagining she'll get:

Default: Her EoSD design as default of course.
Alt 2 and 3: All simple recolors, OR reference to Marisa and Clownpeice, the reference could be anything, be she would definitely have a Marisa alt.
Alt 5 and 6: Reference to Sakuya and Yukari maybe? Reference alts could be really anything.
Alt 7: Touhou 17 design
Alt 8: PC98 Reimu

What do you think?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Alt 2 and 3: All simple recolors, OR reference to Marisa and Clownpeice, the reference could be anything, be she would definitely have a Marisa alt.
Alt 5 and 6: Reference to Sakuya and Yukari maybe? Reference alts could be really anything.

What do you think?
I think that those are good ideas for alts.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman

What do you think?
Those are pretty good. Marisa is pretty much given, and Sakuya has a pretty big chance since she's one of the few other playable humans in the series. I'd just like to add Sanae in there as well, since she's another playable human, who's also a shrine maiden.

But Yukari tbh... I get where you are coming from, but I'm not really feeling it. Same for Clownpiece as well.
If she gets an alt that references youkais, I'm guessing it would be someone like Aya, since she is one of the most iconic playable youkais out there. Other than her I have no clue.

D

Deleted member

Those are pretty good. Marisa is pretty much given, and Sakuya has a pretty big chance since she's one of the few other playable humans in the series. I'd just like to add Sanae in there as well, since she's another playable human, who's also a shrine maiden.

But Yukari tbh... I get where you are coming from, but I'm not really feeling it. Same for Clownpiece as well.
If she gets an alt that references youkais, I'm guessing it would be someone like Aya, since she is one of the most iconic playable youkais out there. Other than her I have no clue.
Those are also good ideas!
See the issue here is that Touhou Project has SOOOO many characters with dynamic designs and are recognizable by many fans from different games, it's hard to really say what alts are how you would say "guarenteed." Though in my opinion these I feel HAVE to be here. (No particular order)

Alt 1: EoSD (For Red teams +default)
Alt 2-8: Cirno (For Blue teams +reference)
Alt 2-8: Sanae (For Green teams +reference)
Alt 2-8: Marisa (For Yellow teams +reference)
Alt 8: PC98 (Of course this will make it I don't believe they could miss this one lmao)

Anything else I feel is... well your guess is as good as mine. Though I think they'll put in Sakuya for a simple while/silver alt, plus clownpeice not really because CP is notable, but because her design is veeery dynamic and would fit well... though just my thoughts. Aya's design feels a little bland for Ultimate tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Ultimately I'd feel that Reimu's colour schemes would be based on the other playable Touhou characters.

Costume 1: Default Reimu.
Costume 2: Blue with green hair (References Sanae)
Costume 3: Green with white hair (References Youmu)
Costume 4: Black with yellow hair (References Marisa)
Costume 5: Blue with white hair (References Sakuya)
Costume 6: Black with lavender hair (References Reisen)
Costume 7: PC-98 Reimu
Costume 8: Purple PC-98 Reimu with orange hair (references PC-98 Marisa)

Last edited:
Top Bottom