• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
As you can probably tell from my avatar being Flandre, i am a big touhou fan and have been wondering since brawl if touhou will ever get playable character someday. Definitely seems like the dream is getting closer to being a reality, i blame Doremy for stalling it LUL. I will always give full support for Reimu getting a spot on the official roster for smash and will also support the possibility of more touhou characters getting in as well. I and i imagine a good chunk of touhou fans will not rest until Reimu, Marisa, or any of the most popular touhou's get at least one spot on the roster. I won't accept a spirit, assist trophy, or mii costumes. I think the supporters here can agree that Touhou one of the most beloved series that deserves a playable character in Ultimate or future smash games

Troykv

Smash Master

Reimu just made it to the top 50 on sourcegamings dlc poll. Thats quite good for a pretty niche character outside of japan
That is quite nice; mainly a well known Smash Youtuber (kind of) understanding the fact Reimu isn't a "niche anime pick".

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
So I've been playing Touhou 1 for a while. I'm surprised at how much fun I'm having, but besides that, I was thinking how Reimu's moves would be perfect for Smash. Here's a gameplay vid if you aren't familiar with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgGhm7u6sr4
Reimu's movelist in the game can be found here:
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Highly_Responsive_to_Prayers/Gameplay#Basic_Gameplay

The Yin Yang orb is a persistent projectile that can bounce off the ground and the sides and ceiling of the screen. In HRtP, she can use physical attacks and her ofuda to change its speed and trajectory. It would be cool if we got something like this in Smash. A lot of big brain plays would be possible with smart use of the orb, and it would make Reimu different from your standard projectile user.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
https://hisouten.koumakan.jp/wiki/Reimu_Hakurei

Here are Reimu's moves in Hisoutensoku. Due to the amount of different opinions a player can use depending on their preference of style, there are a few potential move sets from hisoutensoku.

However in terms of sprite design the recent fighting games would fit and how they function will be more fitting in smash.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
For those of you who're playing Touhou fangames right now, NitorInc got an update with a new boss stage and 15 new microgames!

Here's a link to the twitter post announcing the update's release: https://twitter.com/nitorinc/status/1134539922440953856

It features a very angry Youmu.
Honestly, the main reason I am so into touhou(or one of them) is just how creative the fans are, and seeing what they make. its amazing.

Anynews on Skydrifter? I know this a switch version coming with new stuff, but haven't heard anything in months

zferolie

Smash Hero
I hope we find out more soon. I have the pc version and its fun. Would rebuy a switch version. Also i hope for an English release

D

Deleted member

I'd pick Reimu for Smash any day too! Reimu is high in my hopes of a smash fighter.

RespectThePixel

Smash Rookie
NNID
RespectThePixel0
I highly doubt she's in this Fighter Pass, but I remain hopeful that one day she becomes inevitable. Her popularity and exposure among Smash fans is slowly growing, and it's highly likely we'll start seeing more official games on Switch later on. I'm in this for the long run.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Imagine. Its the nintendo direct. During it, they have a segment talking about a bunch of tougoi games coming, like the fighter, skydrift, and the new offical game, plus some other fan games. Then, they say they have a special exclusive touhou announcement.

It opens fully animated, done by either studio trigger, or one of groups that did those fan touhou animations. Flys over towards hakurai shrine, where reimu is drinking tea on the porch. She then hears someone by the donation box, and goes to investigate. Before she can see what was put in, Marisa flys over, saying a incident has started. Reimu looks over and sees bright explosions happening in the distance. Suddenly a bright laser flies towards her and marisa, who dodge it easily, but it blasts the donation box. Reimu pulls out her orbs and flies up towards the source. As she does the camera stays back, and what was in the donation box floats into the view... and its an envelope with the smash logo on it.

A smash remix of reimus theme starts to play as She comes to the source and is Galeem, and its firering lasers at other touhou characters, but they are dodging easily. Reimu shoots some danmaku at the entity who takes the hit. It flys back, and suddenly Mario, Zelda, and pikachu appear. Reimu smirks, and flys at them, ready to fight.

It then goes into gameplay, with reimu and Marisa talking about whats going on, who these strange people are, and just fighting. Remiu and Marisa speak japanese with subs btw. Marisa also appears as an assit trophy, and the stage Hakurei shrine is shown, which has cameos from Yukari, Suika, Tenshi, and others who jump in and attack everyone with various attacks.

It ends with back with animition, with reimu facing off against Galeem, and suddenly the other one shows up to. Reimu sighs, looking annoyed, and grabs a smash ball, activating her final smash and blasting the 2 beings.

Last edited:

guitargamer57

Smash Cadet
Imagine. Its the nintendo direct. During it, they have a segment talking about a bunch of tougoi games coming, like the fighter, skydrift, and the new offical game, plus some other fan games. Then, they say they have a special exclusive touhou announcement.

It opens fully animated, done by either studio trigger, or one of groups that did those fan touhou animations. Flys over towards hakurai shrine, where reimu is drinking tea on the porch. She then hears someone by the donation box, and goes to investigate. Before she can see what was put in, Marisa flys over, saying a incident has started. Reimu looks over and sees bright explosions happening in the distance. Suddenly a bright laser flies towards her and marisa, who dodge it easily, but it blasts the donation box. Reimu pulls out her orbs and flies up towards the source. As she does the camera stays back, and what was in the donation box floats into the view... and its an envelope with the smash logo on it.

A smash remix of reimus theme starts to play as She comes to the source and is Galeem, and its firering lasers at other touhou characters, but they are dodging easily. Reimu shoots some danmaku at the entity who takes the hit. It flys back, and suddenly Mario, Zelda, and pikachu appear. Reimu smirks, and flys at them, ready to fight.

It then goes into gameplay, with reimu and Marisa talking about whats going on, who these strange people are, and just fighting. Remiu and Marisa speak japanese with subs btw. Marisa also appears as an assit trophy, and the stage Hakurei shrine is shown, which has cameos from Yukari, Suika, Tenshi, and others who jump in and attack everyone with various attacks.

It ends with back with animition, with reimu facing off against Galeem, and suddenly the other one shows up to. Reimu sighs, looking annoyed, and grabs a smash ball, activating her final smash and blasting the 2 beings.
Some would call us delusional, but I'm glad to know we have not lost hope for Reimu in Smash. And whether it happens or not, please let's enjoy the presentation and try to give an opportunity to any new character, the same way we want other communities to do with Reimu.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Some would call us delusional, but I'm glad to know we have not lost hope for Reimu in Smash. And whether it happens or not, please let's enjoy the presentation and try to give an opportunity to any new character, the same way we want other communities to do with Reimu.
Well said. Despite what some people might say, I believe Reimu has a good shot for the fighters pass. Time will tell if Reimu is in or not, but it's not over until the fifth character is revealed.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well said. Despite what some people might say, I believe Reimu has a good shot for the fighters pass. Time will tell if Reimu is in or not, but it's not over until the fifth character is revealed.
even then i think there is a strong chance for more dlc after

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
gamefaqs have shown more support than I expected for Reimu. Some polls has her winning in votes against Banjo and another against Quote. I know they have shown some support for Reimu in the past but it seems like her support has increased a lot recently.

I would love to see the reactions if Reimu gets in before characters like Shantae, Banjo, Steve, and Erdrick

Hoping we get more information about the AoCF port for the switch soon as it could be factor when the next characters for this fighter pass gets revealed

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Supposedly shortly after the release of the base game There was a person on twitter who correctly predicted "Dragon Quest Hero" with no Female Alts. Who also predicted "Female Fighting Game character" and they didn't remember who the character was.

I know it's quite the stretch and Reimu is known as a Arcade Shooter character but hasn't she been in quite a few Fighting Games?

Otherwise, The most likely to fit that category is Chun-Li. Most other names being thrown around as possibilities seem like HUGE stretches such as Morrigan.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Supposedly shortly after the release of the base game There was a person on twitter who correctly predicted "Dragon Quest Hero" with no Female Alts. Who also predicted "Female Fighting Game character" and they didn't remember who the character was.

I know it's quite the stretch and Reimu is known as a Arcade Shooter character but hasn't she been in quite a few Fighting Games?

Otherwise, The most likely to fit that category is Chun-Li. Most other names being thrown around as possibilities seem like HUGE stretches such as Morrigan.
That's the problem with the female fighting game character moniker. In terms of Smash, most of the characters chosen are the face, and there are very few characters that are female in that regard with the only one coming to mind is Heart Aino from Arcana Heart.

For this to be Reimu, the marketing would have to be "SSBU x Touhou Hyouibana". In that regard, if we assume total ignorance, than word of Smash crossing over with another fighter becomes easy to see within a game of telephone. Everyone here should know why this matters, as the timing for this really couldn't have been any more perfect than it already is and, seeing how DQ was handled, it's apparent that Nintendo would choose to make the crossover based on the official game on the console rather than the fangames or franchise title.

The marketing here would be twofold, entice Smash players to play Touhou Hyouibana when it releases on the Switch and, obviously, entice Touhou fans to get the Switch in General.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
That's the problem with the female fighting game character moniker. In terms of Smash, most of the characters chosen are the face, and there are very few characters that are female in that regard with the only one coming to mind is Heart Aino from Arcana Heart.

For this to be Reimu, the marketing would have to be "SSBU x Touhou Hyouibana". In that regard, if we assume total ignorance, than word of Smash crossing over with another fighter becomes easy to see within a game of telephone. Everyone here should know why this matters, as the timing for this really couldn't have been any more perfect than it already is and, seeing how DQ was handled, it's apparent that Nintendo would choose to make the crossover based on the official game on the console rather than the fangames or franchise title.

The marketing here would be twofold, entice Smash players to play Touhou Hyouibana when it releases on the Switch and, obviously, entice Touhou fans to get the Switch in General.
I am afraid I don't understand. Are you saying this revelation increases or decreases Reimu's chances?

And isn't Reimu the face of her series?

EDIT: ALSO, Tohou gotten any mobile games. There are people who think the next Character will be from a mobile game, and i'm inclined to agree.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I am afraid I don't understand. Are you saying this revelation increases or decreases Reimu's chances?

And isn't Reimu the face of her series?
At the moment, neither. I'm explaining the only possible way it could be Reimu given the information/context at hand.

On the other hand, the amount of "female fighting game" characters that would be... "Smash worthy," I suppose, is staggeringly low. Fighting game females are usually 2nd to their Male Counterparts. We got Ryu over Chun-li for that reason. This is why I brought up Heart Aino, her series is all female, which leaves her as the lead role and the obvious Smash pick. Fighting games as a whole have very few outright "Smash worthy" female leads.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Okay. I see your point now. Yeah, by that reasoning I can't see there being many characters that fit that criteria.

I guess it's still possible it could be true and if it were, i'd give Reimu, Katalina and Chun-Li the best odds although I think all three are unlikely. Chun-Li being the most likely, because even though she's not the face of street fighter she's still by far the most popular and icon female fighting character out there and that MAY just be enough to pull her over the finish line but I doubt it.

Unfortunately, Things are pointing at the leak probably just being fake.

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Chun-Li? lol. I dont think we will see any Characters from already existing series represented in Smash.
Would be a huge let down compared to all the other fighters in the pass.
Its gotta be a main character, a protagonist, a mascot or a poster character.

Yeah this seems to be one of those super vague predictions rather than a legit leak.

JadeBladeGamer22

Smash Cadet

Skullgirls is coming to switch sometime soon, so maybe Filia could be the female fighting game character?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wouldnt get my hopes up on that leak. Its 99% likely its fake. Just saying a female fighting character is super vague.

Still no word on touhou skydrifters huh? I am hella excoted for crash team racing but want to see more on this game too, like what new stuff is it bringing

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Skullgirls is coming to switch sometime soon, so maybe Filia could be the female fighting game character?
I don't see it. Skull Girls isn't exactly a series that has a big following, so I don't see it bringing in new demographics.

Just saying a female fighting character is super vague.
While vague, when it comes to Smash, you can very likely eliminate 99% of Fighting game females. Smash typically goes for the main character and with Fighting games that moniker is almost universally held by males. The only one with a Door open for them is Chun-Li since Ryu's already in, but she's also a Spirit so I don't see it happening. Kasumi is also an option, but the DoA director already said that Sakurai never approached him back in January and name dropped Kasumi as the character he'd want in. This really only leaves Morrigan, but I don't see her getting a demographic that Ryu doesn't already provide to (I also don't think Capcom is getting another character period). While that is "vague" it's also incredibly unsafe a prediction.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

That person was just trolling, they don't know who is in the fighters pass.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That person was just trolling, they don't know who is in the fighters pass.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
The twitter person doesn't know who it is, They just know what their source tells them. The source knows what the character looks like, but they don't know who the character is.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The twitter person doesn't know who it is, They just know what their source tells them. The source knows what the character looks like, but they don't know who the character is.
I still think this person is full of it. Any leaker that acts vague and leads people on a wild goose chase is most likely fake. I find it hard to believe that there's a person who has access to the next Smash DLC fighter and assumed they're from a fighting game because of how they looked yet they weren't able to recognize them. I have never seen a leak before where the leaker wasn't able to recognize the character in question. This just screams "give me attention and play my guessing game".

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I still think this person is full of it. Any leaker that acts vague and leads people on a wild goose chase is most likely fake. I find it hard to believe that there's a person who has access to the next Smash DLC fighter and assumed they're from a fighting game because of how they looked yet they weren't able to recognize them. I have never seen a leak before where the leaker wasn't able to recognize the character in question. This just screams "give me attention and play my guessing game".
I think the bigger issue is that their hints don't particularly lead anywhere. In general, this leaves me to believe, if true, that something was grossly misinterpreted by one or all parties involved.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So I've had an interesting idea. You know how a new series tends to get a lot of famous game composers making remixes of it, like with Castlevania. Now what if they didnt do that with Reimu and touhou... but instead embrases the fan community fully with ZUN picking some big name touhou doujin music groups to make all the remixes?

I feel like that would be a great idea, and fully embracing the touhou doujin community which really makes touhou as massive as it is. Of course ZUN would make one, but all the rest would be from some of the biggest and best doujin groups.

Speakimg of fan music, found this UN Owen was her remix today. A really nice one. Ita crazy how many good remixes there are of this song.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
So I've had an interesting idea. You know how a new series tends to get a lot of famous game composers making remixes of it, like with Castlevania. Now what if they didnt do that with Reimu and touhou... but instead embrases the fan community fully with ZUN picking some big name touhou doujin music groups to make all the remixes?

I feel like that would be a great idea, and fully embracing the touhou doujin community which really makes touhou as massive as it is. Of course ZUN would make one, but all the rest would be from some of the biggest and best doujin groups.
I really, really LOVE that idea! If they get dBu, beatmario, Shibayan Records, Kuroneko Lounge, Active Neet or any other fine Touhou arrangers to do the music for Smash, I'd lose my ****ing mind.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Speakimg of fan music, found this UN Owen was her remix today. A really nice one. Ita crazy how many good remixes there are of this song.

This was actually a discussion point I intended to bring up at some point. It would be really cool, imo, to keep it "fan made" in a big name game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I really, really LOVE that idea! If they get dBu, beatmario, Shibayan Records, Kuroneko Lounge, Active Neet or any other fine Touhou arrangers to do the music for Smash, I'd lose my ****ing mind.
Yeah and maybe some classic guys like IOYOS(i felt i am spelling that wrong?)

This was actually a discussion point I intended to bring up at some point. It would be really cool, imo, to keep it "fan made" in a big name game.
Exactly. The big appeal of touhou is how involved the doujin community is woth it, the unique relationship between ZUN and them. It would be fitting to keep that with Reimu in smash.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Anyone know how popular Touhou is in China? I know there was that campaign to name the Flower Reimu and that a few of the scientists that discovered/made that flower were Touhou fans as well, but I'm curious as to how widespread the popularity is in China.

Top Bottom