• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX

Who is Reimu Hakurei, what is Touhou Project and why should she be in Super Smash Bros. ?

To keep it short: Reimu Hakurei is the main character of the Touhou Project by Team Shanghai Alice (ZUN). Its series of Danmaku (Bullet Hell Shoot em Up) Games and Fighting Game Spin-Offs. The series currently spans 16 main games and 10 spin-off titles as well as several official music CDs, official light novels and manga as well as a magazine.
On top of that, the series is known for getting the freedom of having a huge amount of fan doujin works in the form of manga, fangames, fan music and others, to the point that the japanese Comic Market (Comiket) convention had to get its own "Touhou day".

The Touhou Project series takes place in Gensokyo, a land of Illusion/Fantasy that is sealed off the real world and hidden within the Great Hakurei Barrier. The only known gateway between Gensokyo and this world is the Hakurei Shrine, which stands in isolation along the border on distant mountains of the far east.

Reimu is the shrine maiden of the Hakurei Shrine and one of the main "incident resolvers" in Gensokyo. She and others characterize the time she spends at the shrine as largely boring and uneventful. While she is sometimes serious about her duties, she can't seem to get many worshippers at her shrine. It appears that youkai extermination is her only method of earning even a thin salary.

Why I think she should be in Super Smash Bros. might be comparable to why people want Indie representation in Smash.
(You can kind of compare western Indie and eastern Doujin as prettty simillar with maybe a few legal differences.)
You could say, that Touhou is one of the biggest Doujin series in Japan and Reimu could represent japanese gaming, the doujin scene as well as Danmaku/Shoot em Up (that has nothing to do with Sci-Fi Space Shooters themes.)

Up until recently, Touhou fangames have appeared not only for PS4, but also on the Nintendo Switch and some are even getting localizations for western releases. (With more confirmed to come)

What about the moveset? The moveset could easily be based on her fighting game appearances.
Utilizing her Gohei, Amulets, Yin-Yang Orbs and Danmaku Bullets.

Well, I guess that wraps things up for my OP of this thread for now.
This is my first Newcomer Speculation/Support Thread, I hope it turned out okay.

Let me know what you think. Yes I know, the chances are slim and I too have mixed feelings about the inclusion.
Also while still being huge as a doujin series, it is still considerably niche worldwide.

I'd be happy about friendly feedback to make this thread better and also hear your suggestions and ideas.

"Take it easy"

Useful Information:

Reimu Hakurei page on Touhouwiki
Touhou Project page on Touhouwiki
The Case for Reimu Hakurei by TrinitroMan on SourceGaming (article from 2016)
Reimu Hakurei - Rate That Character by Source Gaming

Moveset by Sharklord (Old Version)
Moveset by cashregister9

Bold = Confirmed English release / English trailer
Underlined = Released on the Nintendo Switch as of now

Touhou Hyouibana ~ Antinomy of Common Flowers

Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle
Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded
Touhou Genso Wanderer Lotus Labyrinth
Touhou Azure Reflections
Gensokyo Defenders

Genso Skydrift
Touhou Sky Arena

Marisa and Alice’s Trap Tower
Touhou Genso Kikou: Lost Alchemy
Yoiyami Dreamer
Yoiyami Dancer
The Genius of Sappheiros
The Devil of Decline
Touhou Luna Nights
3rd Eye
Touhou Spell Bubble

Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun! (has Touhou Songs)
Groove Coaster Wai Wai Party (has Touhou Songs)
Dandy Dungeon (Touhou Collaboration)

1. Lasatar
2. d4rkauras
3. 9Cirno9
4. grandpophop
5. RusselRaZe
6. Pirate_Arrows
7. Nazdrovie
8. Yamato-san
9. Vyder
10. PurpleXCompleX
11. ChrysanthosVice
12. SquashiniKun
13. Mythra
14. SEGAGameBoy
15. NobleClamtasm
16. Arcadenblog
17. Idon
18. TCT~Phantom
19. 8-peacock-8
20. P.Kat
21. Lord-Zero
22. kendikong
23. S.F.L.R_9
24. nintenplayer
25. TheKnight
26. Plazzap
27. Slycrow
28. zferolie
29. Mrs.Milky
30. Flyboy
31. Inoj
32. RetrogamerMax
33. Malkior7
34. Nietona
35. TheRockingGoomba
36. Iko MattOrr
37. War Anvil
38. sam☆jam
39. Dyllybirdy
40. RileyXY1
41. OptimisticStrifer
42. guitargamer57
43. Isaac: Venus Adept
44. Yangfly Leone
45. N-V
46. Wurmple for smash
47. PK-remling Fire
48: Wapelo
49. muffin_mans_bro
50. thestrikingzebr
51. FL81
52. Darth Weegee
53. Cristaran
54: PsySmasher
55: Math Jreeds 1284 (cookx84)
56. Makio
57. Tahu-Mata
58. NineS
59. SorrowOfAcheron
60. cannonball_java
61. OshawottGuy4
62. perfectchaos83
63. CarmineFlame
64. DragonBlaze
65. Idktehnub
66. ChaosGoreMagala
67. KamariaK
68. Bandana Dee3
69. BernkastelWitch
70. Neosonic97
71. pikachujedi
72. LinkofEvil
73. Tabbender
74. shinyspheal
75. Jedimess
76. Redblur
77. DaxMasterix
78. kuuroba
79. Rikarte
80. Yellowlord
81. Blayshy-Nega
82. Chen Yakumo
83. CallMeKnux
84. calvinhobbes1010
85. Team Orchid
86. Insomneko
87. SneakyLink
88. SpadeOfTheRedScarves
89. Laoc
90. Dannio
91. OnyanRings
92. MasterRosie
93. Exiliify
94. remilia
95. kaithehedgefox
96. Dutonix
97. Sc_Ev0lution
98. Lesley Black Velvet
99. Blankiturayman
100. BlueEyedGrimmbat
101. Strider_Bond00J
102. GunBlaze
103. Guritsu
104. Graizen
105. BernkastelWitch
106. Thatchner
107. EarlTamm
108. CureParfait
109. Quarium
110. Shinuto
111. H3ra
112. Lynion
113. JDCabrera
114. KarneraMythos
115. TheCJBrine
116. D019
117. cosmicB
118. Lyncario
119. Soulor
120. Dextructor28
121. ElenoreBR
122. Xhampi
123. InkyNeko
124. nessdeltarune00
125. ZevBenjamin
126. Nerkama
127. Brazillian Cara
128. Sigran101
129. SharkLord
130. Dr. Yatagarasu
131. Krankees
132. Teeb147
133. SuperSceptile15
134. Commander_Alph
135. Madrigal
136. Merengue
137. Arctiq
138. HypnoMaster372
139. Geoffrey Druyts
140. BluePikmin11

Reimu for Smash Twitter Account
Reimu for Smash Discord

Last edited:

ChrysanthosVice

Smash Cadet
While, admittedly, not very likely, if Sakurai does approach ZUN and get such an iconic fighter (Touhou is large enough in Japan), then it'll be total anarchy. The good kind. Count me in for unofficial support.

I suppose she'd have six jumps or a glide, quite a few projectiles, and Fantasy Heaven as a Final.

Don't worry about it being niche - look at Villager.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Thank you all for the replies and support so far!

I suppose she'd have six jumps or a glide, quite a few projectiles, and Fantasy Heaven as a Final.
I can imagine a glide like the one that Peach has, but one that lets you move in all directions for a short time rather than just horizontally. Something like what you can see in the fangame: Koumajou Densetsu: Scarlet Symphony (Touhouvania)

Of course, projectiles are gonna be a huge focus for a character like that!

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Supported
Even if Sanae is better :troll:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Here are a few things for the Touhou (and Nintendo) Fan to look forward to right now:

• Annual Hakurei Shrine Grand Festival (Reitaisai 15) May 6 in Japan (Interesting for new official and doujin work releases or announcements)
  • Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded (by AQUASTYLE) [localization by NIS America] coming July 17, 2018 (NA), July 20, 2018 (EU) to the Nintendo Switch
  • Touhou Sky Arena (by AREA ZERO) [getting an English release] for the Nintendo Switch. Release date to be announced.
Also I guess we can agree that the Stage would be the Hakurei Shrine?
I wonder what kind of references you could include in a Touhou Stage like that.. maybe with background characters like in the official Touhou "aerial fighting" games by Tasofro (Antimony of Common Flowers)
(I dont think you would be able to see other places of Gensokyo in the Background because of the direction the Shrine faces)

As far as music goes, any of Reimus Themes are a given. Maybe even add "The Grounds Color is Yellow" as well?
Cant really run out of music themes when it comes to Touhou.

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Sorry, don't want to sound negative there but while this is an interesting idea, I personally kind of don't like the idea of reducing Touhou to the one video just because its extremely popular (to the point it reached some kind of mainstream, mistaking it for anime etc.)

A Trailer for a Touhou newcomer might really need some kind of (short and quick) summary and explaination to who they really are. (But then again it wouldnt really be the first time that Smash Bros. introduces Characters to people who never heard of them before.)

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Touhou definitely has the history and popularity in Japan to deserve a rep. After all, we know how much of a Japan bias there is when it comes to characters. Source Gaming actually wrote a great article about Reimu's possible inclusion here:
https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/18/the-case-for-reimu-hakurei/

The main thing I feel that is holding her back, aside from the ZUN factor, is the lack of a mainline Touhou game on a Nintendo console. Because of that, no one really associates Touhou with Nintendo. Then again, we had Snake and Cloud, so it's up in the air I guess.

But yeah, I want Reimu in Smash badly.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Source Gaming recently uploaded a video on Reimu Hakurei as part of their "Rate that Character" series.
Zedi did an awesome job summarizing everything about her and Touhou Project, as well as giving all the important Pros and Cons about her possible inclusion and exclusion.

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
Add me to the support list. I feel that Reimu's the type of "Impossible, Iconic Japanese Third Party Character" Sakurai is looking for after Cloud, Bayonetta and the Belmonts, but we'll see.

And to those who say a mainline Touhou game never appeared on a Nintendo console... Where was FF7 when Cloud got announced, huh?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, I'm in.

Touhou is damn good fun and pretty huge across the shores.

I'm a skeptic, but a hopeful skeptic.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman

Here's an idea I'd like to share with you.
While faithful to the games, I'd imagine something like this would be really annoying to fight against. A friend of mine came up with the idea to have her hitbox normal like every other character, but her float (like Peach) would shrink her hitbox. This would reference the "focus" command in the games, and can be a unique defensive option for her.

By the way, here's a Reimu moveset that's been floating around for a while
Reimu moveset.png

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
While faithful to the games, I'd imagine something like this would be really annoying to fight against. A friend of mine came up with the idea to have her hitbox normal like every other character, but her float (like Peach) would shrink her hitbox. This would reference the "focus" command in the games, and can be a unique defensive option for her.
Remember, there's also the factor of her receiving 2.5x more damage compared to other characters.

I forgot to include this in the image, but another thing that would set Reimu apart is that she can't shield or dodge. Instead, pressing and holding R will set her into focus mode. Hitbox would be visible, her movement speed would be slower, and some attacks would be altered.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I would like to see an idea for Reimu moveset; it would hellish fun XD

The Day a main Touhou Game appears in Nintendo; will be the day people will go WILD wanting Reimu (like Solaire, but with more actual reasons to want it outside of memes)

Last edited:

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
The Day a main Touhou Game appears in Nintendo; will be the day people will go WILD wanting Reimu (like Solaire, but with more actual reasons to want it outside of memes)
I mean, I can see that happening, but that's not how it works from a development standpoint.

Troykv

Smash Master
I mean, I can see that happening, but that's not how it works from a development standpoint.
Of course; that is also the reason why other choices that had this "now in Switch" annoucement are considered meme bandwagoning desires; even Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I support need to play more Touhou though...

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Never played the franchise; but she's a hugely popular indie character. I can't say I support persay but I wouldn't even be mad if she made it in due to sheer iconic status.

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
Reimu is honestly one of the last characters that truly feel like has the potential to break the internet. And also, if they were to ever be an "indie rep" in Smash, I believe she would represent best what independent development really means. The amount of work ZUN has put into Touhou on his own summarizes the struggles of indie games quite well. Maybe not base game, but if she were the last ever addition in Smash Bros (if Ultimate is the last Smash game) then I believe it'd be an amazing way to close the roster for good.

Troykv

Smash Master
Reimu is honestly one of the last characters that truly feel like has the potential to break the internet. And also, if they were to ever be an "indie rep" in Smash, I believe she would represent best what independent development really means. The amount of work ZUN has put into Touhou on his own summarizes the struggles of indie games quite well. Maybe not base game, but if she were the last ever addition in Smash Bros (if Ultimate is the last Smash game) then I believe it'd be an amazing way to close the roster for good.
Indeed; Zun like fellow doujin creator Pixel; he did the game in his own (even the music, which it's probably his favorite thing developing each TH Game xD)

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Indeed; Zun like fellow doujin creator Pixel; he did the game in his own (even the music, which it's probably his favorite thing developing each TH Game xD)
To think one person did all this, it's incredible.

Also count me in as a supporter Reimu in Smash would be epic

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Count me in. Reimu would break the internet (mainly reddit and 4chan) harder than Ridley did.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Reimu would be a godly addition. The music alone is worth the inclusion.

Shed fit perfectly in a smash too considering there is already a touhou fighting game

Last edited:

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
I was just wondering what Reimu’s reveal trailer would be like. I was thinking how funny it would be if she was just sweeping at Hakurei shrine, and noticed something in the donation box. She gets excited thinking it’s money but its a letter with the smash logo instead

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Love Touhou, she could have a really unique playstyle, and in my opiniooon would be the best character to represent indie gaming bc she's so massively iconic and has so much history and everything made by just one person, even if it's not super likely i'm still hopeful!! Count me in : )

ALSO, the MUSIC that'd be put in smash bc of her inclusion...thatd be everything LOL

Last edited:

RespectThePixel

Smash Rookie
NNID
RespectThePixel0
Has by far been my most wanted newcomer for years, despite her chances. Yes please

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
I have a stupid, but still fun idea. Can one of you draw Reimu (or another Touhou character if you wish) doing the "Burning Chibi Robo" pose?

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Count me in. Touhou's probably one of my favorite game franchises of all time, and it'd be really, really cool to have some sort of rep of it in Smash.

Not to mention the MUSIC it will bring. Imagine smashing to Nuclear Fusion, Deaf to all but the Song, Fate of Sixty Years, History of the Moon, Crazy Backup Dancers, etc.....

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Glad for all the positive responses and also the support. Thanks everyone.

Yes, for the music there is more than enough to choose from, pretty much like with Castlevania in Smash now, which got like 34 Songs at once.

Kind of wanted to use the opportunity to update a list of Touhou content you can have (and expect) on the Nintendo Switch:
Bold = Confirmed English release

Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle
Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded
Touhou Sky Arena
Touhou Azure Reflections
Marisa and Alice’s Trap Tower
Touhou Genso Kikou: Lost Alchemy
Yoiyami Dreamer
Gensokyo Defenders

Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun! (has Touhou Songs)

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
One thing I feel could greatly hinder both Reimu and other characters' chances is the fact that we might have seen every stage. Think, if Reimu got in, would we get a Touhou stage to go along with her? We already have exactly 100 stages (minus Battlefield/FD) confirmed. I'm uncertain if there are more stages to be confirmed beyond that. The only hint we have is the blank slots on the SSS, but that could be for DLC.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
One thing I feel could greatly hinder both Reimu and other characters' chances is the fact that we might have seen every stage. Think, if Reimu got in, would we get a Touhou stage to go along with her? We already have exactly 100 stages (minus Battlefield/FD) confirmed. I'm uncertain if there are more stages to be confirmed beyond that. The only hint we have is the blank slots on the SSS, but that could be for DLC.
It indeed kinda decreases her chances immensely if we aren't getting any more stages than those 103. I can't imagine a character from a series with such a vast and creative world being included without some sort of stage rep. I mean, we at least have to get something like the Hakurei Shrine or Youkai Mountain.

It also concerns me that the music shown off the direct could be all there is to it. Again, one of Touhou's biggest part is the music, so I can't think of a touhou character being included without any music rearrangement, especially when Castlevania is getting goddamn 34 tracks.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I have no interest in the franchise or the character, but the legacy her series has had for indie development actually makes me want to see her in Smash. Maybe someday.

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
Any Touhou representation in Smash would be a dream come true. Music especially if not a character.

Top Bottom