• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Shrek Takes OGRE" Smash Speculation Corner Shrek Edition

19878E93-AA11-4170-9336-F9BF5F05071B.jpeg

"SHREK Takes OGRE" Smash Speculation Corner Shrek Edition
Whenever you mention Smash and Shrek in one sentence, you know things are bound to get ugly. Shrek is referring to the lovable yet ornery green ogre from the hit movies series aptly named Shrek. The first movie debuted in 2001 and went on to grab multiple awards for its ground-breaking cinematography, humor, and story not to mention "smashing" all-star songs. In the movie, Shrek is tasked with rescuing a sleeping princess after his beloved swamp becomes a refugee camp for magical creatures ordered to be arrested by Lord Farquaad. He soon becomes embroiled in not only rescuing the sleeping princess, but also falling in love with her and discovering that she is secretly an ogre herself.

Following the first Shrek movie, sequels were made with Shrek and his pals getting involved in all sorts of misadventures. Shrek meets his in-laws in the land of Far, Far Away in Shrek 2 and becomes a father in Shrek 3. And if that is not enough, there's also Shrek Forever where Shrek wishes he never rescued Fiona and, in a twist much like It's a Wonderful Life, gets to experience how his life would be had he not taken that first step and it's all thanks to the scheming Rumpelstiltskin. The Shrek series didn't only bring Shrek to our homes but also opened the greater Shrek universe to us with the introduction of the "cat in boots" **** in Boots! Two movies are under the belt of this swashbuckling **** as the goes on his own adventures, with **** in Boots: The Last Wish receiving universal praise.

So what does all of this have to deal with Smash? It has EVERYTHING to do with Smash! Shrek is one of the most requested fourth-party fighters after Darth Vader, Goku, Spiderman, and James Bond. While the Shrek series may not be as big in Japan as it is in the west, it can't be denied that the series is popular worldwide. What Shrek really has in his favor is the meme'ness of his character and, as we all know, Sakurai is in it for the memes. He loves memes and he likes producing memes. The man is a walking meme factory so it would only make sense to include a character who has become a large meme as well.

Gameplay Attributes
Shrek is a slow, brutal fighter with powerful, devastating normals since he's just a regular old ogre but with Specials that draw from aspects of the Shrek series. In terms of movement, he is rather slow but can achieve high dash speed since he is known for out-running creatures such as dragons. He has very bad aerial mobility with sub-par jumps thanks to his girth. His strengths lie in his punishing normals, unpredictable specials, and his defensive game as he tries to defend his beloved swamp.

Gimmick: Ogre Rage

Shrek doesn't often allow stress to get to him but when he has babies crying, a broken mud bath, and all sorts of fantastical citizens looking at him - he is bound to get upset. Taking continuous damage adds up though and continues to stress Shrek out to the boiling point. This is tied in with his neutral special, Shrekening! but only when his ogre-o-meter hits the top. When this happens, the jovial Shrek becomes visibly upset as his skin turns red and smoke pours out of his ears. When in this form, Shrek can utilize a more powerful form of GET OUT OF MY SWAMP! which is written at length below.
Height
Weight
Dash
Walk
Jump
Fall Speed
Air Speed
Stat Number
x​
116​
2​
.8​
15​
1.85​
.945​
Place on the roster
Roughly the same size
as Incineroar​
Tied w/
:ultcharizard:&:ultincineroar:
Between
:ultyounglink:&:ultkirby:
Between
:ultsora:&:ultbyleth:
Between
:ultgnw:&:ult_terry:
Tied w/​
:ultgreninja::ultsimon::ultrichter:
Tied w/
:ultkrool:

Specials & Smashes

Move
Name
Description
Damage
Side Smash
Keg Burst

Shrek bursts open a keg of… ginger ale which launches it out in a stream. It is a disjointed Side Smash in the same vein as Mega Man's but with continued hitboxes throughout the stream of the bubbly juice.
Uncharged: 12%
Charged: 18.5%
Up Smash
Donkey Kick

Donkey is summoned in front of Shrek which causes Donkey to perform an upwards kick which will launch the opponent upwards. Super weak per Donkey.
Uncharged: 7%
Charged: 10%
Down Smash
Mud Spill
Shrek pours out a bucket of mud on the ground. Charging the attack increases the size of the puddle. It will not only deal damage but will also cause anyone who touches it to slip as well. The longer it is charged causes the mud to stay active longer. The longest time is 10 seconds. It can be used as a projectile for ledge guarding and hitting recovering opponents.Unharged: 5%
Charged: 12%
Neutral Special
Shrekening

Charging this attack allows Shrek to unleash a powerful yell. This stuns even the noblest of soldiers but doesn't affect Donkey’s. Anyone caught in its yell radius when moderately charged to fully charged gets stun damage. However, unleashing a full yell which stuns a player will give an "MY SWAMP!" buff which boosts attack damage. The attack doesn't deal damage save for rupturing eardrums and quaking hearts. When his Ogre Rage is maximum, the attack still doesn't do any damage but it maximizes the scope which increases the effect radius of his scream to that 360 degrees rather than what's in front of him.
  • 0%
Side Special
DONKEY?!

DONKEY?! Shrek's fearless steed busts out and gives Shrek a ride. Albeit it is rather clumsy, Donkey means well though. The pair will crash into whoever dares to experience the wrath of an ogre and his ass. It has poor turning control and will even trigger Donkey's anxiety thus causing some stun frames as Donkey has an anxiety attack.​
  • Initial Hit: 7-10%
  • Turn: 5.5%
Up Special
Fairy Dust

Shrek gets sprinkled with Fairy Dust which propels him upwards. Shrek can change the angle at which he travels by tilting the control stick in a way similar to Wolf's Up Special. The attack gives Shrek amazing aerial recovery but lacks the viability of other recovery moves as it doesn't deal damage. As a trade-off though, it can push away opponents during the start-up and to the midway point of the traveling frames. It's not particularly strong but is capable of pushing away opponents who are in the air. That being said, it will stop moves that cause the opponent to travel forward like Drill Rush or Fire Fox.​
  • 0%
Down Special
Ogres are like Onions

Shrek takes an onion and tosses it. Like Ogres, there are layers to onions. As Shrek tosses it, the layers are removed which will do appropriate amounts of damage based on the layers removed. But also like an ogre, this is randomized. Ogres are moody creatures and their acts of violence are random... just like onions.​
  • Full Layers: 12%
  • 8 Layers: 10%
  • 7 Layers: 9%
  • 6 Layers: 8%
  • 5 Layers: 7%
  • 4 Layers: 6%
  • 3 Layers: 5%
  • 2 Layers: 4%
  • 1 Layer: 3%
  • 0 Layers: 1.5%
Final Smash
Far Far Away
Shrek will whistle for Donkey who gallops forward along with his dragon-donkey spawn. Anyone caught in the attack is trapped in a cinematic where the player is transported to the melee-combat arena in Far Far Away which was featured in the first movie. Fiona in Ogre Form will kick the trapped opponent followed by Pinocchio slapping the opponent with his lying-induced nose and then a frying pan attack by the Big Bad Wolf. As the opponent stumbles back, they are then tripped by the Three Blind Mice. Following this, the opponent is stepped on by the Gingerbread Man, and before Shrek comes running in and close-lines the opponent. If the opponent is hit at 100%, it is an OHKO with a special animation that has Shrek appear with Donkey and Dragon, with the latter piercing the opponent with a fiery blast.
  • Total: 90%

Additional Content

Entrance Animation
  • In a similar manner to Villager and Isabelle, Shrek’s Outhouse appears and Shrek pushes open the door forcibly. He kicks off what looks to be toilet paper stuck to his foot. Taken from the first moments of the first Shrek movie.
Taunts
  • Up: He picks his nose and then flings the booger. The booger does .5% damage.
  • Side: Burps and holds his belly. Green gas comes from his mouth which he sniffs in and sighs with happiness.
  • Down: Donkey appears and runs around Shrek in a happy manner. Shrek says "Donkeey...." as if to warn Donkey not to get in his way.
Idle Poses
  • Scratches his butt
  • Looks at the camera with an awkward, goofy smile
Victory Animations
  1. Shrek looks smug and folds his arms as Donkey jumps about doing his donkey growls. Shrek then says “That'll do, Donkey. That'll do.”
  2. Shrek is in a tub full of putrid mud bathing when he looks at the camera and says “Hey, I like my privacy!". He then throws a glob of mud which smears on the screen.

1. The victory screen transitions to that of in the sky as Shrek, Donkey, Fiona, and their kids are on the Dragon flying while the baby donkey-dragons glide about.
Victory Theme
We can totally get the license for this song

Kirby Hat
  • The top of Shrek's head, eyes, nose, and ears.
Boxing Ring Title
  • Shrekus Maximus
Palutena Guidance
  • Pit: GET OUT OF MY SWAMP!!
  • Viridi: What are you blabbing about, Pit?
  • Pit: RAWWWWRRRR!!!!
  • Palutena: It seems the past war with Hades affected you, Pit. I will need to put you back through Angelic Education Training.
  • Pit: It's Shrek, everyone!
  • Viridi & Palutena: Shrek?
  • Pit: Yeah! The lovable green ogre who hates others and just wants to live in his swamp!
  • Viridi & Palutena: ....
  • Pit: Don't tell me… you two don't know Shrek?!
  • Viridi: Uhhhh... no?
  • Palutena: Can't say, I have Pit.
  • Pit: Oh. My. Gosh. I can't believe it! You two don't know Shrek. That's it! After this match, we are doing a Shrek binge marathon. All the movies back to back!
  • Viridi: Movies? As in, a movie movie?
  • Pit: Yup!
  • Palutena: Don't you have more pressing matters to attend to Pit; rather than watch a movie?
  • Pit: I saw the kids on Earth watching it so I picked it up!
  • Viridi: Kids, huh? As in a kid's movie?
  • Pit: Yup!
  • Palutena: Haha alright, Pit. Have fun playing with your kid movie friend, Pit.
  • Pit: Huh?
  • Viridi: Bye-bye, little Pitty!
  • Pit: Hey! Don't go! I mean....everyone loves Shrek....right?
  • Magical Mirror: Weeeeeeeell hello there, Pit!
  • Pit: AUGH! Who is that?!
  • Magical Mirror: It is I. The magical mirror!
  • Pit: Oh yeah! That mirror who helped the bad guys!
  • Magic Mirror: Hmm… yeah, The same but I am here to help you! Shrek boasts tremendous power and strength; being an ogre and all.
  • Pit: I figured as much. His strength is mesmerizing.
  • Magic Mirror: Hm... mesmerizing, yes. But he also boasts unorthodox ways of fighting that might surprise.
  • Pit: Ah yes! Like his infamous flatulence! Burping! Using his trusty steed, Donkey! And… ONION!
  • Magic Mirror: Hohoho, it seems like you know more about Shrek than I do! Be careful, young angel, for Shrek is not a foe to trifle with!
  • Pit: Thank you, Mr. Magic Mirror! Oh, by the way, I need to ask....who is the fairest one of them all?
  • Magic Mirror: Defeat Shrek and perhaps I may tell you!
Snake Codec
  • Snake: Mei Ling, it seems I stepped into a fairy tale.
  • Mei Ling: How come?
  • Snake: I am fighting against a troll, a giant, something that certainly is not human and more along the lines of a fairy tale monster. And he's green.
  • Mei Ling: Green, fairy tale, large… ahhhh! Do you mean Shrek?
  • Snake: Shrek? What's a.... Shrek?
  • Mei Ling: Shrek is an ogre, Snake. Though he may look tough and scary; he truly has a kind heart.
  • Snake: Yeah, a kind heart. I can feel it in the power he packs.
  • Mei Ling: Sometimes it takes someone to open up to another. Ogres have layers like onions so they say.
  • Snake: So they say? Mei Ling, I think you need to see a psychiatrist.
  • Mei Ling: Well, Snake, sometimes you need to look beyond the skin and see the soul underneath.
  • Snake: Yeeeeah.... I will make sure I do that once this ogre stops trying to wallop me.
  • Mei Ling: Watch out for those punches, Snake. He may have layers but all these layers are ready to smash you!
  • Snake: Hmmm, how about I fight fire with fire and show a little bit of how I can be an ogre, too.
  • Mei Ling: Just be nice with him, Snake. We want a new movie after all.
Classic Mode Route: Once Upon a Time
All matches are meant to be based on fairy tales or Nursery Rhymes.
Round
Opponent
Stage
Music
References
1​
:ultbanjokazooie: (Tiny) :ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie: (Giant) :ultpeach:
Paper Mario (Battlefield)​
Another Adventure (Shrek 3)
This fight is meant to emulate the fairytale Goldilocks and the Three Bears with the three Banjo's being the bears and Peach being Goldilocks.​
2​
:ultpiranha::ultganondorf: (Both giant)​
Skyworld​
Escape from the Dragon (Shrek 1)
This match is meant to emulate the fairytale Jack and the Beanstalk with Skyworld being the land in the clouds. Piranha Plant represents the bean stalk.​
3​
:ultvillager::ultvillagerf:
Spiral Mountain​
Muffin Man (Shrek 2)
The match is based on the story Hansel and Gretel which was about two children who got lured into a candy house by a witch. In this battle, the witch is represented by Gruntilda.​
4​
:ulttoonlink::ulttoonlink:(Dark)​
Pirate Ship​
King Arthur (Shrek 3)
This stage is based on the story of Peter Pan with the Dark Toon Link representing Pan's shadow while the stage is based on Captain Hook's pirate ship.​
5​
:ultpichu::ultpichu::ultpichu: (Tiny, White palette swap)​
Umbra Clock Tower​
Donkey Meets Shrek(Shrek 1)
This match is based on the Three Blind Mice nursery rhyme while the stage represents how they "run about the clock".​
6​
:ultbrawler::ultbrawler::ultbrawler: (Pig Outfit)
:ultwolf:
Tomodachi Life​
Once (More) Upon a Time (Shrek Forever After)
The three Brawler's represent the Three Little Piggies from the fairytale The Three Little Pigs with Wolf representing the Big Bad Wolf.​
Final​
Dracula
Dracula's Castle Stage​
Rumple's Party Palace (Shrek Forever After)
Dracula is used as the end fighter due to the Dracula story being a work of fiction but also points to the castle where Shrek finds Fiona at which was supposed to be the end of his quest.​

Palette Swap
shrek1.png
Green
Default​
shrek2.png

Brown
Based on Donkey​
shrek3.png

Orange
Based on **** n Boots​
shrek6.png

Red
Based on Fiona, his wife.​
shrek5.png

White
Based on the Three Blind Mice​
shrek4.png

Pink
Based on the Three Little Pigs​
shrek7.png

Blue
Based on the Fairy Godmother​
shrek8.png

Tan
Based on his human form from Shrek 2

Reveal Trailer
We find ourselves in the midst of a swamp at night. Flies buzz around, mud being sloshed, and general bogginess when suddenly, the wretched peace is interrupted by five fleeing figures followed by evil men on horses. "Get them!" calls out one pursuer while another says "Don't let them escape!" An exceptionally crafty attacker fashions a lasso and whips it forward, managing to ensure one of the escapees and drags them into the mud. The pursuers close in and, with it, the light of the torch reveals the identities of the escapees.

Jigglypuff lies in a puddle of mud on the ground; trying her hardest to escape. Before the soldiers can close in, Jigglypuff's allies jump in to defend her. Young Link, Isabelle, and Banjo & Kazooie. However, to their horror, more soldiers appear on horseback with one being a messenger who says "All magical creatures are forthwith banned under the punishment of imprisonment!" They then move in to capture our group of magical video game characters when suddenly, a large object crashes through the swamp. The soldiers look anxiously around and, from within the light of their torches, they see figures moving in the darkness. "C...come out!" screams the messenger in a voice a lot less brave than before. "Sh..sh...show yourself. Right now!"

We then get a shove behind the soldiers as a donkey bursts out of the shadows with a large green ogre riding it. It smashes into the soldiers in a grand spectacle. The ogre jumps off and roars "GET OUT OF MY SWAMP!" to the guards to scamper away. It then cuts to the tagline "SHREK Takes OGRE!" followed by "Donkey?!" as Donkey jumps in front of Shrek.

The ending scene shows Shrek dancing along with a good portion of the Shrek cast along with Young Link, Jigglypuff, Isabelle, and Banjo & Kazooie.

Stage

1680364322895.png

Shreks' Swamp
While I had considered several other locations such as Far, Far Away, Duloc, or Dragon's Keep, in all honesty, Shrek's Swamp is bar-none the best choice due to its iconic-ness and importance to the story. Keeping in line with the stark reality of Ogre's living quarters, the stage is composed of a stage with ledges on either side with Shrek's Hut being in the middle. Players can use the hut to stand on as a platform. However, the topmost part of the hut is small and then curves out thus adding a secondary lower platform. Players can even destroy the hut to reveal items and create more fighting space at the expense of removing these platforms. Doing so if Shrek is not present on the stage as a playable fighter causes Shrek to be seen in the mud bathtub much to his anger. Once the hut is destroyed, it will remain in this state until fairies arrive and reform the hut back to its original form. To the right of the hut is a mud jacuzzi which won't deal damage when falling into it but will slow down players to a crawl. To the left are signs that read "DO NOT ENTER" with a poorly drawn ogre face which can also be destroyed. I was going to give the stage walk-off blast lines on either side but decided against this in order to make the stage tournament viable... just for the lols of having it possibly picked for the championship match at Evo or something.

Cameos

Here are cameos that appear in this stage aside from Shrek if not playable:

Donkey​

Gingy​

Three Little Pigs​

Three Blind Mice​

Fiona​

Fergus, Farkle and Felicia​

Fairy God-Mother and Prince Charming​

Lord Farquaad & Magic Mirror on the Wall​

**** in Boots​

Pinocchio​

Big Bad Wolf​

Music
Here is a list of tracks that would do well to represent Shrek:
Spirits and Spirit Battle
Here is a list of Spirits and Spirit Battles from content in Shrek.
Donkey
Class: Ace
Type: Grab Primary, 2 slots
Effect: Move Speed ↑
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultyoshi: (White)
  • Stage: Shrek's Swamp
  • Music Track: Donkey Meets Shrek (Shrek 1)
  • Match: Stock (3 Stocks)
  • Conditions:
    • Pokeball Pokemon Gogoat appears often
    • Fighter avoids conflict
Lord Farquaad
Class: Novice
Type: Shield Support, 1 slot
Effect: Improved Escape
Gingy and Mongo
Type: Attack Primary, 2 slots
Effect: Giant
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultsteve::ultsteve: (Giant)
  • Stage: The Summit (Battlefield)
  • Music Track: Muffin Man (Shrek 2)
  • Match: Stock (1 stock)
  • Conditions:
    • Defeat both opponents to win
    • Last opponent standing gains an attack and defense boost
Dragon
Type: Attack Support, 3 slots
Effect: Chance of Double Final Smash
  • Puppet Fighter: :ultcharizard: (Purple, Giant)
  • Stage: Find Mii
  • Music Track: Dragon! Fiona Awakens (Shrek 1)
  • Match: Stamina(100%)
  • Conditions:
    • The opponent gains a damage boost as the match progresses
**** in Boots
Class: Legend
Type: Attack Neutral, 2 slots
Effect: Critical Hit ↑ ↑

Mii Costume
Here is a list of potential Mii Costumes that could come along with Shrek content.

Name
Class
Content
Description
**** in Boots
:ultswordfighter:
  • **** in Boots Mask
  • **** in Boots Outfit
**** in Boots is an extremely popular Dreamworks character who, despite appearing in Shrek 2, managed to nab his only critically-acclaimed series which provided a bit of backstory on the character.
Donkey Cap
All​
  • Donkey Cap
Donkey is donkey.

Conclusion
In the ever-evolving world of Smash Speculation, hard-hitting characters like Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Pokemon of the Month, Fire Emblem Protag of the Month, Xenoblade Waifu Hero of the Month, and more constantly get thrown around but we don't ever venture into fourth party territory in fear the Sakurai-influenced sentry robots hunt us down for such blasphemy. But there is indeed a gold mine of characters ranging from the ever-lovable Peter Griffin of Family Guy to Spiderman's Tom Holland to the "father of family issues" Darth Vader to that one character you may have heard about, Son Goku. That being said, one character gets "grossly" overlooked and attributed to "memes" in our loveable Shrek. Don't like Shrek? Well, get shrek'd!

Credits:
Writing: Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Editing: @ Reggie Fils-Aimé
Thumbnail Graphic: @Shigeru Miyamoto
Social Media: @Master Hand

Author's Note: This is totally not an April Fool's joke. Like E3, Smashboards canceled April Fools. We don't believe April Fools. This is a real article just as Pinocchio is a real boy. Post below or get shrek'd again.

Last edited:
Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

The funny thing is, should Smash ever get a Universal rep if the Illumination Mario movie does well, Shrek would be high on the list of requests.

So yeah, I would approve of this.

Top Bottom