• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Showing my Samus appreciation

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I know its a little off topic but I just wanted to share some art I did in appreciation to our favorite hunter. Took all day but it was worth it. Let me know your thoughts
Thanks ,
Jazz

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Looks fantastic! Any other pieces you thinking of doing?
Not entirely sure, after a big piece like that my creative juice needs recharging. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Sylux skids the line between known and unknown anyway, so I don't blame you.
yea I just read He/She/it's wiki
not much to go on.
Also I may need to wait till my next paycheck for my next piece. The markers I use* cost $6.00 (US) a PIECE! And mine are very low on ink at the moment.

* The markers are from a Japanese company called Copic.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Hey guys, its finally payday! So I'm getting ready for another Samus piece soon, first I gotta finish my Superman comic sketch (watched Man of Steel again and totally in a kryptonian hype for some reason)
gotta finish this, and man is it stressful to ink out.

So once thats out of the way I want to do a Comic book style piece for Samus, but not sure what pose and setting she should be in.
SO,
I'm asking you guys.
If there is a scene or a screenshot or pose youd like to see in the comic style I've demonstrated in the spoiler flap let me know, share your screen shot, feed me your inspiration Samus mains!
Thanks for your support,
-Jazz

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I've finally started on a new Samus piece. Not sure of I want a Smash themed background or just Metroid.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Also I got me a shirt :b:

Last edited:

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
Oh hot dog Jazz! That is getting to looking very good, nice stuff! You decided on the background yet?

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
nope not yet. any suggestions?
All i can really think of is someplace that she feels would be safe. As I can assume she is not the sort of person that just goes around taking her helmet off wherever.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Hello everyone,
Im back to put up a recent update to my latest Samus piece. Remember way back when I said I would color this piece? well I did now that I have plenty of the wallet burning markers that I need. To preserve the original and test out my coloring skills the colored piece was initially a copy of the black and white inked original. down below youll see them side by side. Now that I have a small fortunes worth of markers im going to get back into my art. Id appreciate any feedback and future project ideas. Thanks and keep hunting.

- Jazz

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone,
Im back to put up a recent update to my latest Samus piece. Remember way back when I said I would color this piece? well I did now that I have plenty of the wallet burning markers that I need. To preserve the original and test out my coloring skills the colored piece was initially a copy of the black and white inked original. down below youll see them side by side. Now that I have a small fortunes worth of markers im going to get back into my art. Id appreciate any feedback and future project ideas. Thanks and keep hunting.

- Jazz

I find these highly offensive.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
How'd you do highlights and stuff with markers?
Well its knowing how to utilize color in space and with the markers I have I can blend right on the page. Unfortunantely the markers are $7-$8 a piece.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Id appreciate any feedback and future project ideas. Thanks and keep hunting.

- Jazz

My opinions:
I feel her nose a bit off; Nostrils feel to me like I am looking at her face head on, even when her head is tilted. Coloring on the nose also makes the tip of the nose facing forward, straight-on, rather than slightly to the side.

Also, the yellow body-pieces feel, to me, like they shouldn't be receiving much (if any) light. If the parts above them (right below the red chest-piece) are shaded, shouldn't the yellow body pieces below receive just as little light, especially when considering the top-down light source? THIS however, I understand, as without those lighted pieces, the majority of her body would unseen/ a black blob.

Overall, I only have minor nitpicks, and you make me hate you for being so good. I hate you.... And now I must go draw more to compare to you. (Hope you feel good, being my inspiration.)

As for an idea for the background....I have one, though its not MY ideal. The lighting implies an afternoon Sun setting, and I don't know any settings with that lighting that Samus would feel safe enough in to take her helmet off. If you are really dedicated to the background, try Smash4 battlefield stage as the background. That will give you plenty to work off of, especially with the ruins in the background roaming along with clouds. That also feels like the lighting would fit in with the Samus you've already established.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
My opinions:
I feel her nose a bit off; Nostrils feel to me like I am looking at her face head on, even when her head is tilted. Coloring on the nose also makes the tip of the nose facing forward, straight-on, rather than slightly to the side.

Also, the yellow body-pieces feel, to me, like they shouldn't be receiving much (if any) light. If the parts above them (right below the red chest-piece) are shaded, shouldn't the yellow body pieces below receive just as little light, especially when considering the top-down light source? THIS however, I understand, as without those lighted pieces, the majority of her body would unseen/ a black blob.

Overall, I only have minor nitpicks, and you make me hate you for being so good. I hate you.... And now I must go draw more to compare to you. (Hope you feel good, being my inspiration.)

As for an idea for the background....I have one, though its not MY ideal. The lighting implies an afternoon Sun setting, and I don't know any settings with that lighting that Samus would feel safe enough in to take her helmet off. If you are really dedicated to the background, try Smash4 battlefield stage as the background. That will give you plenty to work off of, especially with the ruins in the background roaming along with clouds. That also feels like the lighting would fit in with the Samus you've already established.
thanks... I guess. And as for the minor nitpicks I understand them completely. The original was inked without the full intention of future coloring which causes issues like nose and yellow under armor (noses suck to draw). and your right the yellow underarmor should be super dark however to the average person a dark yellow could be mistaken for brown or orange within the context of the other colors so I made a choice that may not make sense physically but it works to the average viewer. As for a background I may come back to this way later after practicing in some less important pieces with establishing a background.

I do want to do more Samus art though and after my Star Wars hype subsides I'll be read to do more Samus art. (kinda in deep with a few Star Wars pieces)

maybe I'll try a photo realistic Samus, like Kylo is up above.

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
thanks... I guess.
I do want to do more Samus art though and after my Star Wars hype subsides I'll be read to do more Samus art. (kinda in deep with a few Star Wars pieces)

maybe I'll try a photo realistic Samus, like Kylo is up above.
You're Welcome! Think of it like this: If your skills are envious, your obviously doing something well.

And as for your Starwars pieces, are you trying to make me green? Nice work, Jazz.

I would like to see a realistic Samus from you. I'd like to know how you'd picture her.

What's with the screwdriver?

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
For screwing around of course.

Nah, honestly I believe that one in particular is actually a hidden marker. Unsure as to what it could be doing (Other than the happenstance of being there), but that Ren drawing is nice.

And nice stuff on the coloring, love the color of the suit! Head feels a bit off but otherwise all good!

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Hello, and happy new year all!
Its super late for me, but I started doodling a caricature of Samus, and I just couldn't stop drawing!
I simply adore what I've done. I am determined to make a far more exceptional version of this (colored and all).
Before I do that however, I wanted to get your guys' feedback. Let me know what u do and do not like so I can fix er' up
for the final version!
SamusCartoonSketch 001.jpg

(Did i make u proud, Jazz?)

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Hello, and happy new year all!
Its super late for me, but I started doodling a caricature of Samus, and I just couldn't stop drawing!
I simply adore what I've done. I am determined to make a far more exceptional version of this (colored and all).
Before I do that however, I wanted to get your guys' feedback. Let me know what u do and do not like so I can fix er' up
for the final version!View attachment 91389

(Did i make u proud, Jazz?)
Wow!!! AWESOME! I cant wait to see this more as it develops! Well done!

Ps. For all those curious Kylo Ren is complete

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Wow!!! AWESOME! I cant wait to see this more as it develops! Well done!
Thanks! I couldn't let u have all the fun.
Feel like anything is off, though? Like her right shoulder? I feel its out too far.
How'd your Kylo Ren pic go for you?

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
FlAlex FlAlex i just edited my recent post
Kylo is completed

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Sick work, Jazz! I enjoy the subtle play of light from the lightsaber.
Thanks, the lightsaber itself was the most fun, the rest was ink upon ink upon ink trying to get it right. In person from 4 feet away the drawing looks like a photo, which must have to do with the fact my room wasnt well lit when i drew it

Last edited:

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
NP, JAZZ_ JAZZ_ .
Okay! Finally got done with the inking (and the murdering of my thumb in the process). Inking took all day, but totally worth it.
My inking could have been better, but nothin' destroyed it. I moved in her right arm and made some slight adjustments to the cannon so it would look better. Tell me what you guys think.
Plan on coloring this tomorrow.
Hope u guys enjoy!
SamusCartoonInkd 001.jpg

(Wow. Looks better in person...)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
NP, JAZZ_ JAZZ_ .
Okay! Finally got done with the inking (and the murdering of my thumb in the process). Inking took all day, but totally worth it.
My inking could have been better, but nothin' destroyed it. I moved in her right arm and made some slight adjustments to the cannon so it would look better. Tell me what you guys think.
Plan on coloring this tomorrow.
Hope u guys enjoy!
View attachment 91492

(Wow. Looks better in person...)
Reminds me of that scrapped Metroid concept for some reason despite the differences in the armor.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Reminds me of that scrapped Metroid concept for some reason despite the differences in the armor.

Forgot completely about that concept. Who was developing it again? WayForward? Platinum games?

Its similar in how I drew Samus out of (mostly) large, curved lines with few sharp points, at least thats what I speculate.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Okay, Update:
I, sadly, did not complete the coloring as I had hoped. I played too much Smash :p
It's practically complete, so it will be done tomorrow. Promise.

PS: Shout out to Jonny Westside! The hero of Samus Mains!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Forgot completely about that concept. Who was developing it again? WayForward? Platinum games?
It was being done by Next Level Games before they were offered to do Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, which led to it being scrapped.

The fact that they're developing Federation Force now means that the design could possibly see a comeback.

Top Bottom