• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Showdown in Downtown 5: No Escape - Thanks to everyone that watched ^_^!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoNekoXD

Smash Cadet
Simple solution: DUAL LIVE STREAM

We heard you like live streams so we put some live streams on your live stream so you can...well you know

Cruxis

Smash Lord
lool ok as long as every other wii in the room is using the CSS then i am ok with this, at my/joes/gis tourneys we will use nekos stream

Mprime

Smash Ace
This is a serious topic, ppl put their hearts into making this css for the love of GTA and everyone in GTA has been so excited to use it and share with the world ( aka livestream ). Also our viewers would deffinately catch on to the joke and laugh. It is the smash community after all. We are the coollest scene out of all competative gaming. The only thing they may not get is the whos face is who just because they don't know us, but they wud still understand why we did it and it could influence others to make their own. Who knows, we could possibly start a fun trend

:phone:

Dan-Da-Man

Smash Journeyman
^LOL

Also,
1PokeMastr said:
As well, for viewers, we have some connections on AiB.
Tuh tah.
+ I'll be linking up @ bfc. Last tourney we got 20+ viewers from that.

Cruxis said:
lool ok as long as every other wii in the room is using the CSS then i am ok with this
I thought the purpose of it was to make people in the US aware how awesome our scene was? lol. Maybe I'm just confused cause I'm not in the CSS and have attended and placed more than half the people in it, but you sound kinda forceful now, haha. I understand you put in a lot of effort into it, and it's hilarious and cool, but in general, I'm totally apathetic towards any customization in brawl; I'd be just as excited having ggs on a copy with no music + texture hacks at all, and I'm sure it won't be a deal breaker for anyone watching a stream of it either.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Volunteers for commentary

If you want to commentate LET ME KNOW! Ideally you should be able to keep it professional, have confidence as an entertainer, and understand the game fairly well. We need about 5(ish) people since we need a commentator on at all times (ideally) and people will be in matches.
Phiddlesticks and Darkshadow Volunteered. Anyone else?

Please bring setups

TV's and Wii's + Brawl will be appreciated. Most people have them, so please bring them. I wan't to make sure every TV that can be used, is being used. Even if it means that some Wii's don't end up being used. The point is to have them there just in case. If they don't get used, it goes back in your bag and nobody gets hurt.STAGE AND CHARACTER TEXTURES ARE BANNED! AND PEOPLE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO PLAY ON A STANDARD SETUP (aka removing the SD card to play the game without the hacks).
Can anyone else bring anything?

zmx

Smash Lord
Tinman you are a quite good commentator yourself when you aren't using the word n**** every 5 seconds. But then I suppose you'll be busy running the event.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
For the sake of being transparent, I have been compiling everything that's been said since the css announcement

DDM I even went to you to ask about remaining chars and cruxis said many times ppl can share characters... If you wanted to be on the css its not like anyones trying to leave you out :(

Dan-Da-Man

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I'm not too concerned about being in the css or not, I was just saying I'm apathetic towards whether or not it's used. I don't really deserve a spot anyway since I play like 5 characters on a consistent basis, even though DK is my favorite. I have DK tie that was made for me a whiile ago, and thought even wearing that for AN was too much reppin', haha.

Also, what zmx said

Drekken

Smash Cadet
First Off I want to start by apologizing for not monitoring this thread more closely, I can see that this situation has caused alot of confusion aswell as a pain point for members of the community.

So I will respond directly to situation at hand.

I understand and empathize with the with the desire to have the GTA CSS being displayed on stream, I can tell that Cruxis put alot of hard work into designing it and items like that are a treasure to our community.

Unfortunately it runs counter intuitive to the goals and designed perception of the stream. There are many types of streams, and there are some which are run raw and uncensored and there are some that aim for a level of professionalism. ESC streams are the latter.

I aim and believe to grow the scene bigger than it is a level of professionalism is needed, does that come at the cost of entertainment? No, cause believe it or not those can go hand and hand.

I won't reiterate some of the other items like "being a business" or "sponsors image" cause Riddlebox and iliad already covered that sentiment perfectly.

I will put some things in perspective for everyone in the community.

The stream isn't a passive thing that you just hook up, play matches and viewers come. Someone has to monitor, add names, transitions, switch cameras, and PROMOTE . My team consisting of Riddlebox and myself work hard on the stream, we watch it and monitor it closely. We notice and constantly aim to improve the stream each time.

Viewers are not sheep, they don't just lock into a stream and sit there waiting for things to happen. They are people like you and me who if bored or confused, will flake away with the hit of a button.

When you take your time to get to a match, or you play casuals or put the tournament on hold, for every minute nothing is happening on stream 10 viewers click away.

The stream is exposed not to just the GTA but United States and outside countries

This is the statistics from Riddlebox's Melee tournament, see that green line? Canada right? No its the United States, Canada is 2 lines below that. items like that ensures that I have to keep all my viewers in mind not just the ones in GTA / Ontario region.

^ If the people looking after the stream are doing their job correctly... they do announce who is playing what character. If someone can't connect the dots are hearing "Tin Man is playing Falco and Poke is playing Donkey Kong" then... omg. O.o
I would highly recommend that players go through the stream archives and watch what we do,

http://twitch.tv/escriddlebox/b/297722281 (small sample)

• to help vieweres know who is playing who, we add the names
  • To help viewers associate player faces with characters, we use a player cam
  • to get viewers to understand the hard work and dedication that players do to win we conduct interviews

All these items do exactly the "perceived" benefits of the CSS , we have even taken its another step forward and done one on one spotlights with Smash Players, which have gotten an amazing response from viewers.

I am not saying this because I expecting a pat on the back, I am saying it cause I want people to understand , that the stream isn't something you hit stream and walk away from. Riddlebox and I sit there for 12 hrs + (depending if people show up for their matches or not) , sometimes without food or water (until recently we received water ) . We don't participate, cause we take streaming very seriously. We are dedicated, hardworking and receptive human beings, who like you have a craft that we work on to be the best.

I don't agree with putting the CSS on the stream and at the end of the day, that is my choice.

and all I ask for is the respect of that choice.

Business aside:

If there is something you want on the stream, I can be talked to, I don't live in an ivory tower or work in a corporate silo. collaborate and talk to me like a person, not like an obligated slave. my email is Drekken@pownz.com, please I welcome anyone with ideas or feedback to talk to me. If the CSS was created out of the love of the community it should have no problem not making it on stream cause its intentions was for the good of the community and for the people within it. If it was created to be placed on stream then I should of been consulted first before the hard work was put into it, just out of respect.

Like mentioned before there are many choices of streamers out there, but I implore community members to weight how vital this aspect is. It would be a shame for people to " cut your nose off to spite your face. "

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
CSS wouldn't harm your views. I didn't read anything in your wall of text that gave a good enough reason not to. And I'm pretty sure this is not just for the Stream -.- we played with that CSS during friendlies and it was funny.

But w-e up to you anyhow.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I sent a long pm to tin last night that detailed how use of the css would actually benefit professionalism and viewership according to how it was outlined in the OP of this thread... Don't know if that ever made its way to you Drekken.

But regardless as disappointed as I am, you're the professional here and I suppose its out of our hands. Thanks for thre heads up and explanation anyhow.

Drekken

Smash Cadet
CSS wouldn't harm your views. I didn't read anything in your wall of text that gave a good enough reason not to. And I'm pretty sure this is not just for the Stream -.- we played with that CSS during friendlies and it was funny.

But w-e up to you anyhow.
you are right, I kind of went on a rant.

TL:DR version -

Livestream is aimed at being professional, I feel the CSS doesn't reflect that.

The CSS is cool , and I am sure people playing friendlies will enjoy it.

in the future, if someone wants to make something that will affect the livestream, email me at Drekken@pownz.com (or PM me on the boards) instead of doing it and then demanding I comply. Just talk to me first, which is the same respect I would show anyone here.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Livestream is aimed at being professional, I feel the CSS doesn't reflect that.
Though I do think people are overreacting a bit about the custom CSS not being allowed on the stream, I will say this.

This is supposedly a good quality stream and the problem with bringing in the custom CSS is that it's somewhat unprofessional, right? If that's the case, then that means we're trying to be as professional as possible with this stream, right?
Then wouldn't the time spent on the CSS be minimized anyway? I mean, if we're trying to stay as professional as possible when it comes to this stream, then shouldn't the setup be streaming actual tourney sets/ about 95-100% of the time? Isn't this going to be the one setup which we make sure to keep active with matches at all times, especially given how many matches there are going to be with this losers' pools idea?
People watching online are barely ever going to see the screen, and I don't think it's going to make much a difference. And when they do see the CSS, it'll probably be a good conversation topic for those online.
And lastly, I can't imagine anyone being turned off by the CSS.
Just wondering if you read this already, Drekken.

Drekken

Smash Cadet
I sent a long pm to tin last night that detailed how use of the css would actually benefit professionalism and viewership according to how it was outlined in the OP of this thread... Don't know if that ever made its way to you Drekken.

But regardless as disappointed as I am, you're the professional here and I suppose its out of our hands. Thanks for thre heads up and explanation anyhow.

Tinman did talk to me, and don't crucify him , cause he did bring it up twice and I explained to him pretty much what I , iliad, and riddlebox posted.

there are certain I do different than other people that stream, and believe it or not the stream is like a resume.

If some people are new to the scene I have been a liaison between communities and companies for years now, I have worked with them on bringing prize money, sponsor money, and events to many communities including smash (Zellers Fan Expo 2010 brawl tournament) , These companies are fickle , work in silos don't even know majority of the communities exist.

But they are willing to do things to be apart of the communities and give away free stuff to the members within them. When I talk to these companies sometimes via phone or even in board rooms. I present the streams as evidence that the communities exist, that the players for the older games still play and that its something they may want to be associated with.

I have to talk to them in ways they understand. When I walk away from them all the work I have done is one Google search away. They do their research , and sometimes the decision to work with a community (with or without me) can be as simple as a swear word on a stream can lead to "this is not something we think will work with our brand".

I am not "selling" the communities but looking for ways that all parties can benefit, players, viewers and brands, because we can. So to that end I focus on keeping my streams clean, and professional.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Crucify Tin? I did everything in my power to help him out with this situation. I know he was caught between a rock and a hard place and I sympathize wth that. I was just asking iof it ever made its way to you since I was the one compiling our comments and arguments to give to him to give to you since he was too busy, is all.

I assume you've probably heard this already but Cruxis asked me to make a censored version of the CSS, which I did, and if there was anything else that needed censoring I'd do it. But I understand that's not the main barrier here. Just throwin it out there. :)

Anyway thanks for making your decision process clear.

Drekken

Smash Cadet
Crucify Tin? I did everything in my power to help him out with this situation. I know he was caught between a rock and a hard place and I sympathize wth that. I was just asking iof it ever made its way to you since I was the one compiling our comments and arguments to give to him to give to you since he was too busy, is all.

I assume you've probably heard this already but Cruxis asked me to make a censored version of the CSS, which I did, and if there was anything else that needed censoring I'd do it. But I understand that's not the main barrier here. Just throwin it out there. :)

Anyway thanks for making your decision process clear.

sorry I worded that wrong, it wasn't directed at you specifically but to majority of people not to crucify him :p

Drekken

Smash Cadet
Just wondering if you read this already, Drekken.
Yep I read that post.

Matches on stream don't happen at a lightening pace, and there are delays that cause the stream to sit on the character select screen for long periods of time.

on a sidenote:

If players want to show their scene's pride and expose it to a large audience.

• Post the stream link in your social networks when the stream is up.
  • Do amazing things while you're on the stream (its your opportunity to show your skills)
  • When we ask for an interview, give a insightful and thoughtful answers.
  • If you are asked to Commentate, be informative, receptive, and focus on telling the story of the tournament

These things viewers will appreciate , and keep coming back for, these are things of value to them . how do I know? That's I what I do, I study the stream. I ask for their feedback, and talk to viewers long after the stream is finished.

I ask for the community's trust that I know what I am doing and that I can provide the resulted affect which is showing the world that the GTA Smash scene is a thriving, strong, entertaining scene to tune into. In a world where there literally thousands of streams to tune into, professionalism is how I stand out from the rest and the viewers that tune in, appreciate that, they show that by liking and then coming back.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I could commentate, I have quite a bit of knowledge about brawl, and, as well, maybe it could benefit me somehow, haha.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
^ Finally you volunteer! Been waiting for this.

K, I'd like to take this opportunity to mention some things.

@Drekken: Thank you for taking the time out of your day to do some PR. It is much appreciated.

@Zmx: lol, that dai I wus jus shootin the s*** and bein a n**** for fun :p. I can keep it clean bro ;). And thanks for the compliment, u got swag :D

@Everyone: I want you all to know that I take responsibility as an organizer to seek out opportunities to help out our scene, and working with Drekken is one of them. As a member of this community, I'm willing to work very hard for it. Be it getting us on the map in the BBR and URC, or getting us the most exposure possible. As much as Drekken is asking for respect, I ask for the same. Given that trust, I'm able to work with everyone in order to come to desirable conclusions. One of those conclusions is this tournament. It's gonna be a blast. The club's gonna be live and happenin all dai! Remember that I'm doing this not only for myself, but for everyone in the community! I keep all of your interests in mind, and all I ask in return is trust cause I got all of your backs :).

Free hugs at the tournament for everyone, sponsored by me :awesome:.

Drekken

Smash Cadet
I noticed a few people are interested in commentating, If you are serious about learning, here is a guide to improving your skills. Its written by someone that I admire from the FPS community back in the old days.

So you want to be a shoutcaster?

Its wisdom can be applied to any game commentary

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Go go 2 Day Hype for an Epic Tourney for Brawl! Going to be huge, do your best everyone.

+ Post 1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom