• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Showdown in Downtown 5: No Escape - Thanks to everyone that watched ^_^!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_L

Smash Journeyman
I'lll team with you if zhao doesn't show up.

If he does I'm teaming with him, if thats cool with him ofcourse =3

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Free Water. In November.

Also, Dirt, I can try and see if I can bug Ray Kalm into going and to see if he'd like to team with you.

Cr0wbaR

Smash Apprentice
I'll definitely be going but I do have one gripe with this loser pools idea...

It's a great idea, I've been screwed in tourneys because I go V in first round, win my first losers, lose to (insert player on the PR) Or something similar. (Let's not get on the fact that if I practice I should try to win and not be discouraged blah blah) Anyway. It'll be cool to at least face a few people in losers before getting knocked out. Even if it isn't me, I feel bad for people knocked out early since often times there's no room for friendlies just yet.

Oh right, I had a problem with this...

The problem is, usually pools are kept well track of at the very beginning, and if it's as hectic as it often is at these tourneys with people looking for there oppos or whatever it may be a problem when people have to look for one of three people to begin with... In the end, Tin I hope you plan this s*** well.

Something that was done at the Oakville tourney that I always thought was a good idea, was to project the bracket, unless a game has a lot of hype, there's little need to have the projector showing games ALL the time. Hell, it could be as small as a simple external monitor just to have the bracket lit up and more accessible then people crowding around a computer.

And in case my post distracted you from the point... I'm definitely coming. And if Red X gets me set up with hacking my wii, I could bring mine. (still not 100% on that even if it get's hacked though.)

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Something that was done at the Oakville tourney that I always thought was a good idea, was to project the bracket, unless a game has a lot of hype, there's little need to have the projector showing games ALL the time.
good idea :)

Cruxis

Smash Lord
Everyone with a hacked wii has to use my custom screen ill make official thread for it as soon as its complete and also someone use my snake skin so i can be there in spirit :)

:phone:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Everyone with a hacked wii has to use my custom screen ill make official thread for it as soon as its complete and also someone use my snake skin so i can be there in spirit :)

:phone:
consider it done lmao

fUddO

Smash Ace
Something that was done at the Oakville tourney that I always thought was a good idea, was to project the bracket, unless a game has a lot of hype, there's little need to have the projector showing games ALL the time. Hell, it could be as small as a simple external monitor just to have the bracket lit up and more accessible then people crowding around a computer.
I've been saying this forever.

I should be coming to this. Cool format, I don't know why people rage so hard over such a small change.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I'll definitely be going but I do have one gripe with this loser pools idea...

It's a great idea, I've been screwed in tourneys because I go V in first round, win my first losers, lose to (insert player on the PR) Or something similar. (Let's not get on the fact that if I practice I should try to win and not be discouraged blah blah) Anyway. It'll be cool to at least face a few people in losers before getting knocked out. Even if it isn't me, I feel bad for people knocked out early since often times there's no room for friendlies just yet.

Oh right, I had a problem with this...

The problem is, usually pools are kept well track of at the very beginning, and if it's as hectic as it often is at these tourneys with people looking for there oppos or whatever it may be a problem when people have to look for one of three people to begin with... In the end, Tin I hope you plan this s*** well.

And in case my post distracted you from the point... I'm definitely coming. And if Red X gets me set up with hacking my wii, I could bring mine. (still not 100% on that even if it get's hacked though.)
Yo n**** got dis ;). Imma believe that I can run this s*** well :bee:.

If it's possible to get da bracket projected, then I don't see why not. Sounds mad legit to me.

And lemme know if you can hook us up with yo Wii, and if it's hacked or not.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Free Water. In November.

Also, Dirt, I can try and see if I can bug Ray Kalm into going and to see if he'd like to team with you.
OMG, double Ganon team would be ****ing amazing.

I'll find out if I can get the day off tonight.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Double post because WAT, apparently Kalm is in... Pakistan?

Convo between Z1g and Kalm:

"Ray_Kalm
Well, I came here to study, and live here. Want to help get my country back on track.

Anyways, you still go on wifi usually?
"

Cruxis

Smash Lord
holy **** i thought i was the only one stupid enough to move to a third world country

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
For this 'Losers Pools thing'.

Think of it as..

You get to play more matches, building more skill and knowledge, instead of just being Eliminated the first two Matches by playing a good player twice in a row, instead, you get eliminated by Playing 4 matches as opposed to only 2 and then it continues.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
The hybrid format definitely produces more accurate results than a traditional double-elim bracket, with the extra 6th/11th/21st places, you're right about that. And it barely takes more time than a normal losers bracket, so that's a non-issue. But there is one slight flaw in the hybrid format, and that is you must enforce all matches within a round robin to be played at roughly the same time.

At any reasonably competitive tourney, the order in which matches are played in a round robin matter a lot. When you're faced with the prospect of only one player making it out of a pool, it leads to players not trying as hard after they've dropped one set in the round robin. Yes, you can still make it out even if you drop a set, but it's hard to argue that there is an inherent and unavoidable letdown within a player after they've lost to someone.

GSS was the last tourney I tried the hybrid format at. There, people were already catching on to this issue. I witnessed two specific examples of players waiting it out and letting everyone else in their round robin play before they started, essentially obtaining the lowest overall "tryhardness level" from their opponents. Shaeden even forfeited his entire round robin after he dropped his first set in it, giving the other two players free wins while the first player had to earn the win.

You need to prevent this issue by forcing all players in a round robin to start playing their matches at the same time. If you really want to get it right, find a pool captain (someone who isn't involved in the round robin) to run things and record results without allowing the players to see those results until after you determine who advances. This solves the problem of people intentionally waiting to play last. You can do it, Tin Man!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So this ***** Tin Man is trying to get MI to come there.

If I show up...going to need a legit partner. I'm the crunkest, stock tankiest :dedede: around ;)

Canada needs more sexy :dedede: action in their lives...:yeahboi:

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
Lol kong we should team this time around for the hell of it XD. Though sheik/peach and diddy peach were never the best teams... lol time paradox team.. sheik and zelda~ :D

@Stef we need to hang out moar! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom