• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show Me Your Moves 14: Bring Set ups! - March 23rd, 2013 - Champaign, Il

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I've got some pretty good zard experience, so I'll be glad to take your money metroid lol. Plus I hear you're a cool duder to chill with.
Sure! I've seen you post around before, it'll be good to finally meet you in-person haha.

Metrpid1117, I would be glad to take you on good sir!
Awesome, looking forward to playing you :).

Also, I'm accepting all $1 MMs! I'm going to be at this event the entire day and only entering PM, so friendlies are perfectly fine as well!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
metroid
i have an idea
for us to fight
and it'll be glorious

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
i dont like this 5$ venue fee regardless of bringing a setup or not

this thing aint gonna finish if people dont bring setups...and there's no incentive to bring one really

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
it's essentially cheaper for most people that come. a majority of the people who come do not bring set ups. and people who would have brought set ups for a discount will bring one anyways because of more playing time.

Tinkster

Smash Apprentice
LOLLL...yooooo, im case in point with what matts saying....deffff wasnt planning on brinigng my setup cause of no venue fee back....but knowing there might not be any, i will prolly haveee to bring mine :///.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I guess I'm crazy and bring a set up regardless of if I get $5 or even $10 back or not.

Tinkster

Smash Apprentice
your a better man then me ://, im just lazy as hell, and having an incentive always makes me bring it heh.

i see main post says, absolutely no PM teams....is that old? or is there no pm teams again =((?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
gotta agree with the others... you should waive venue fee for setups blake, even if it means people that don't bring one have to pay more. i'm not bringing one and i'm fine with it.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
there is PM teams, sorry for not changing it. ask Rat for stagelist.

And fine. if you guys won't bring a set up over $5, I'll waive venue for you guys. but that is unbelievable. it just makes me pay more out of pocket

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's not really about the money, it's more a gesture of appreciation for providing equipment that will improve the experience for everyone and help the tournament finish on time. what big c said is pretty strong, too.

also, #TEAMRAMPAGE

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
it's not really about the money, it's more a gesture of appreciation for providing equipment that will improve the experience for everyone and help the tournament finish on time. what big c said is pretty strong, too.

also, #TEAMRAMPAGE
I think of venue fee as a Thank You for Hosting the event and help Paying to rent out a place for 12 hours. but w/e

BIG C

Smash Master
Well I mean I would always just do a $10 venue fee then give a $5 discount for a TV and another $5 discount for the system. That way you can still charge the people who just bring one or the other. I've hosted tournaments without a venue fee before as well since it was at my house and I'll tell you that not a lot of people bring setups if they aren't getting something in return.

EDIT:

You can also always have a cutoff number for who gets the discount. Like say the first 30 full setups are discounted because anymore would just be superfluous.

Tinkster

Smash Apprentice
this is not the kinda talk we need days before this hyppeeee ass tournament!
tho i really hope enough setups are brought, specially for PM, which seems to get low setups...if ripple really will help a brother on venue, if not cool(im very poor), i got a full melee setup and ill bring an extra TV for someone to hook pm/melee to it(ill be bringing regardless).

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you shouldn't have to directly incentivize people to bring a set up. If people can easily bring a set up then they should. They don't have the right to complain if a tournament is running slowly when they could have easily prevented that from occuring.

how much a hassle is it really? lifting it from you room to your car. and then from your car to the venue, which is across the street from the parking garage? that's it.

is that something you even remember from going to tournaments? the hassle of bringing a T.V.? unless it prevents a player from going, no, you do not.

it helps me, I take it away from this because I'm paying for it

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The problem with that, BIG C, is how it puts out-of-state players in a bad situation. If a car from a ways away brought five people, it's doubtful that they'll have room for more than a couple setups, if that. They're already spending all this money to get there, only to find that it was waived for people who didn't have to make nearly as much of a commitment?

EDIT: I agree with Ripple. Space is the most precious commodity when it comes to these kinds of events; otherwise, everyone and his grandmother would be TOing. It costs money to find a suitable venue, and that needs to be covered.

Tinkster

Smash Apprentice
u dont have too, it just makes ppl want to bring one, rather then seeing it as a burden...lugging equipment after a tournament when your damn tired sucks **** :/.

edit: reflex, ur a crazy *******...OoR ppl should be happy to see an incentive for ppl to bring setups they are going to....thatll ensure a better tournament in the long run 0_o...even if u cant get the deal, its more good then bad.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
u dont have too, it just makes ppl want to bring one, rather then seeing it as a burden...lugging equipment after a tournament when your damn tired sucks **** :/.
how much a hassle is it really? lifting it from you room to your car. and then from your car to the venue, which is across the street from the parking garage? that's it.

is that something you even remember from going to tournaments? the hassle of bringing a T.V.? unless it prevents a player from going, no, you do not.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sure, but, out-of-state players would love to take every opportunity to make it significantly less expensive, and they don't have that opportunity through this method, because it's usually only a manageable trip by filling your car with people to split gas instead.

It's a significantly bigger burden on everyone when there aren't enough set-ups at an event, IMO. You'd have more time for potential friendlies, or you'd be able to leave earlier, when more set-ups help to run a smooth event.

BIG C

Smash Master

It's a huge hassle when you have a bad back and have to lug a TV out of your basement.

And Reflex yeah, that sucks, I know the feeling all too well but it's the price of traveling to a tournament. With the only incentive being a smoothly ran tournament most people don't even care because they've never ran a tournament. I know how much it sucks to run a tournament with not enough setups, but I'm not gonna risk throwing my back out to pay someone to use my tv.

Tinkster

Smash Apprentice
lolll...noones saying you need to pay outta your pocket for a venue...we expect 50-60 ppl here. plenty of venue fee to go around.

post a poll then on this....ask a yes or no question, whos bringing a setup and we will see how bad of a shape were in 0_o. i havnt seen anyone post im bringing a setup ina while.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I know I care when I go to an event and the lack of set-ups makes the tournament last for an unreasonable amount of time. That's why I bring my set-ups whenever I reasonably can, and that's why I think a $10 door fee is highway robbery, regardless of what incentives there are for brining set-ups. Door fees are merely for covering the cost of the venue; the tournament depends on each person wanting to see a smooth event to get the most out of it. If you care enough to make it out to the event, why wouldn't you care enough to want to get out of there before 2AM in the morning?

If it's a local event or if you're driving with someone else, surely they could help you with your television. Your logic of putting the burden of price way more on those traveling from far away is how one manages to make events where only locals come. It's a fine balance; no one wants to pay an exorbitant amount for the same experience as a person who has to put significantly less effort into getting to the event in the first place. It's the same reason I advocate doing stuff like "person who drives the greatest distance gets $X for gas." Some people could use that sort of thing more than others.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
yeah, you see tink, When its your turn in line, and people see that you don't pay venue fee. They'll ask questions.
"why didn't he pay?"
Oh well, he brought a set up up.
"so did I" .
too bad?

or worse, I lie to them and someone else tells them the truth that I let you off venue fee because you wouldn't bring a set up if I did charge you.

I get a really bad rep for something like this. and hell, I probably already do, because this is bull****

@BigC. get someone to help you? jesus, you have friends that live around you right? withing 15min? or hell, even neighbors? ask them for help! you act like only you should lift the tv. if you have a bad back ask for some help

Tinkster

Smash Apprentice
LOLLLL....hey, i dont mind waiting for you to make sure you cover your venue and then getting a 5er back at the end of the night 0_o, if thats your issue....but clearly not lolll....

btw, i never said i needed a venue fee to bring my setup atttttt all.....i just said i understand where ppl are coming from, and knowing that IN THE MW, when theres no venue fee, we john it up, every damn time. jus saying, gonna happen.

BIG C

Smash Master
If you're not gonna waive it for all the setups then don't do it at all and I just won't bring my TV if that's the case. I'll bring my wii and project M,though.

And Reflex I'm speaking from past experience, there are going to be significantly less setups here because the venue fee won't be waived. Almost every large tournament I've ever been to has had a $10 venue fee. It's not like this is a local tournament for anyone that is coming from my area it's about a 3 hour drive for us. So I still have to pay for gas and food and everything, I'm unemployed and am coming to this tournament with money from my tax refund I'll pay the $5 or bring my TV not both can't charge people to use their stuff in your tournament.

Tinkster

Smash Apprentice
i also feel like, reflex for some reason thinks we would change the venue fee now? ummmm...noo 0_o.....and if not....10 dollar venue fee is standard at almost any tournament thats gonna be regional level or higher...almost any event you go to that plans on 60+ attendance, is gonna be 10$ most of the time.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I'll bring an extra TV if we can fit it. Only stipulation would be someone has to buy it cause I aint bringing that **** back LMAO. Obz not an arm and a leg for it, just need more room in my new apt I'm moving to. Just an idea if we're gonna get crazy about this setup shiz almost a day before the tourney lol.

Rat

Smash Lord
Whenever I've asked people to bring setups (esp if asked repeatedly) - they don't disappoint. I figured lack of setups happen cuz people forgot or assumed others would bring theirs. Aka the TO was not persisent enough in asking for 'em.

Giving a discount is a way to pay people for their equipment and effort. It's ****ing irritating to carry a tv around. It's also irritating to assemble the wii esp after driving for a couple hours.

Incentives bring results. That could be social/experiencial ones - a well run tournament with lots of friendlies. People also want $5. Seems like a win-win.

Lastly there's a risk with needing the entry fees to pay for the venue. Aka we don't want another Pound scenario. The risk can be alleviated with good planning - setting an appropriate entry fee; having other revenue. (Food/merch/stream subscriptions/#MEGABUS)

Long story short, i'd give a discount and I think you should give a discount.

Tldr #megabus

j00t

Smash Champion
It says that sandwiches will be sold for $3. Why not slap dem ****heads in the face with a free sandwich for bringing a setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom