• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shovel Knight ~ Steel Thy Shovel! Amiibo CONFIRMED!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The base almost looked Smash like....but that can't be.

Also Game Grumps did the trailer FTW
You're right. It can't.

It's gold, yes. But you can very clearly see that it isn't the Smash logo, and it has Shovel Knight's Helmet on the base.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The amiibo not being a Smash amiibo still doesn't mean Shovel Knight isn't in Smash, btw. The leak lives until Shovel Knight is announced or Yacht Club Games deny the leak or something like that.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well I assume they wanted an amiibo before any sort of smash announcement because they want to promote it as their own thing rather than having a Shovel Knight amiibo ride the coattails of Smash Bros. So I might assume that if Shovel Knight dose get in he'll get a smash version amiibo like other DLC much later.

Anyway Congrats for Yacht club for being the first 3rd/Indie to get their own amiibo series.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The amiibo not being a Smash amiibo still doesn't mean Shovel Knight isn't in Smash, btw. The leak lives until Shovel Knight is announced or Yacht Club Games deny the leak or something like that.
The "leak" that was, admitted even by the guy "leaking" it, speculation based off of retail rumors, which we now know aren't related to Smash?

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/635162393035714560

How's that for Yacht Club disconfirming it?

Guys, I'm not trying to say he's not in the game. But, please, STOP taking this as confirmation. There's a huge chance it's just going to hurt you later.

Last edited:

Reila

What, are you expecting Yacht Club Games to say "Hey, don't vote on Shovel Knight on the ballot because he is already in the game?" :laugh: Plus, that tweet is from a week ago. Try again?

Actually now that I think, even if they say "SHOVEL KNIGHT ISN'T PLAYABLE IN SMASH", we can't still be sure, because they also denied the existence of a Shovel Knight amiibo. Anyways, now that I think, this thread will be swarming with detractors until the rumor is either confirmed or debunked, will it not? Geez.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Actually, then denying it doesn't mean much because they couldn't say yes anyways.

Also, worth nothing is that the leaker has said that the amiibo doesn't pertain to the leak. If he's in, he'll get a second amiibo. It's as simple as that.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
What, are you expecting Yacht Club Games to say "Hey, don't vote on Shovel Knight on the ballot because he is already in the game?" :laugh: Actually now that I think, even if they say "SHOVEL KNIGHT ISN'T PLAYABLE IN SMASH", we can't still be sure, because they also denied the existence of a Shovel Knight amiibo. Anyways, now that I think, this thread will be swarming with detractors until the rumor is either confirmed or debunked, will it not? Geez.
Probably.

I'm not trying to be a detractor. I'm not intending to speak of Shovel Knight's chances or suitability for the role at all.

I'm just saying that neither this, nor the leak, are at all an indication, let alone a confirmation, that Shovel Knight is in Smash.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What, are you expecting Yacht Club Games to say "Hey, don't vote on Shovel Knight on the ballot because he is already in the game?" :laugh: Plus, that tweet is from a week ago. Try again?

Actually now that I think, even if they say "SHOVEL KNIGHT ISN'T PLAYABLE IN SMASH", we can't still be sure, because they also denied the existence of a Shovel Knight amiibo. Anyways, now that I think, this thread will be swarming with detractors until the rumor is either confirmed or debunked, will it not? Geez.
No, they denied the Amiibo that was listed as "Smash Bros." They also denied SK in Smash on Twitter as well. Any rumors are just that, rumors. Maybe he can be in, maybe he won't, but the rumors shouldn't be used as reference for anything.

Reila

Anyways, it is worth mentioning that Nintendo isn't making the Shovel Knight amiibo, so the "Nintendo wouldn't make two different Shovel Knight amiibos, therefore the rumor is debunked" isn't really a valid argument. The Shovel Knight amiibo announced is pretty much a third party product and IF Shovel Knight is set to be playable in Smash, he will get his own "Smash Amiibo" made by Nintendo itself eventually.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Oh, so it's the logo on the box.

The thing with amiibo... Besides the Mario series, (and maybe Villager? ACs pretty huge any so yeah) nobody's gotten a second amiibo. Not even the FE characters who have had pretty big uses in multiple games. I doubt they're going to make a second amiibo for SK and not the FE crew. If Nintendo had any thought whatsoever that SK was going to be in Smash, they would of told Yacht club before planning this release months in advance instead of making it two months after the ballot ends.

And nobody would be thinking he was going to be in Smash based off the official announcement. That was the retailer in Spain putting up a placeholder and assuming Smash... There's 100% no connection right now.

Anyways, it is worth mentioning that Nintendo isn't making the Shovel Knight amiibo, so the "Nintendo wouldn't make two different Shovel Knight amiibos, therefore the rumor is debunked" isn't really a valid argument. The Shovel Knight amiibo announced is pretty much a third party product and IF Shovel Knight is set to be playable in Smash, he will get his own "Smash Amiibo" made by Nintendo itself eventually.
Except not really because Nintendo gave them licensing to use the term "amiibo." It's even got the Nintendo seal of approval.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
This actually makes a lot of business sense. This is the first third-party amiibo. It's a huge gamble, and not one Nintendo would want to make. They're letting Yacht Club use the technology and the branding (and undoubtedly getting a cut from it), while taking very little risk themselves. If this is successful, Nintendo can have more confidence investing in other, similar projects (such as Yooka-Laylee, whose devs also expressed an interest in amiibo and are a successful Indy Kickstarter).

Amiibo =/= Smash. Chibi Robo isn't playable. Neither is Toad. Neither is Isabelle.

This is a HUGE thing for Yacht Club Games, and for Nintendo. Don't make it to be more than it is. You risk massively hurting yourself if it's wrong, not to mention devaluing the incredible step this is.

Cheer for Shovel Knight. Vote for him. Support him. But don't follow the first shiny will-o-wisp you see, lest you get lost in the forest forever.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I honestly couldn't care less if he got in. I just want that amiibo... I love amiibos.... and he'd look mighty handsome next to the rest of the near-complete Smash set...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Really wanna see what it does for real...

And it's kinda silly they couldn't make the co-op work on 3DS. Kirby Super Star Ultra had a single-card mode where the second DS acted like a controller to the first DS's screen, so the second didn't need to download all the graphics and stuff. And I think an AR code would let you play the rest of the game like that, so it's not like there's real limitations.

And yaknow, multicard play would work.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
No, they denied the Amiibo that was listed as "Smash Bros." They also denied SK in Smash on Twitter as well. Any rumors are just that, rumors. Maybe he can be in, maybe he won't, but the rumors shouldn't be used as reference for anything.
They denied SK will be in Smash? Link please?

Also, assuming SK in Smash does happen (PushDustIn seems pretty confident, but I can't say he's infallible), they have a while to announce it yet if it doesn't get shown off at PAX. I think this will hurt credibility of the leak if SK isn't here by PAX end, but Tamaki did backpeddle and double down on "it could be released in the next one or two months" along with other ballot characters when the Ballot actually ends.

IF ANYTHING, wielders of shovels, this is probably attracting more votes for Shovel Knight with all this exposure. The K. Rool fans like myself would kill for this kind of thing, though we had a very good run up until the train wreck that was the Mii Costume.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
IF ANYTHING, wielders of shovels, this is probably attracting more votes for Shovel Knight with all this exposure. The K. Rool fans like myself would kill for this kind of thing, though we had a very good run up until the train wreck that was the Mii Costume.
Yeah, an amiibo is a really high honor for Shovel Knight. There's no other indie character that has one. Heck, there are a ton of first party characters that don't have one! Even if the initial rumors are false, this is a really optimistic indicator for SK's future with nintendo and possibly smash.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Yeah, an amiibo is a really high honor for Shovel Knight. There's no other indie character that has one. Heck, there are a ton of first party characters that don't have one! Even if the initial rumors are false, this is a really optimistic indicator for SK's future with nintendo and possibly smash.
Very much so.

I wish you all luck, SK's chances seem very high right now so we'll all have to wait and see if it delivers.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So I was looking through Polygon article that explains why Shovel Knight has the Amiibo, and I've found this.

The Shovel Knight amiibo is "a promise of what's to come," according to Baker. It will unlock exclusive features in the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game, including a co-op mode on Wii U — making it the only version of Shovel Knight with two-player co-op — and an exclusive challenge mode on both platforms. Baker also said, "There will be more Yacht Club and Shovel Knight content coming to Nintendo platforms in the future," and the amiibo will be compatible with all future Yacht Club titles on Nintendo systems.
So what these guys are saying is that all future Yacht Club Games will be exclusive to even a future platform like the NX?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/28/92...opers-nindies-wii-u-3ds-damon-baker-interview

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So I was looking through Polygon article that explains why Shovel Knight has the Amiibo, and I've found this.

So what these guys are saying is that all future Yacht Club Games will be exclusive to even a future platform like the NX?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/28/92...opers-nindies-wii-u-3ds-damon-baker-interview
The term "exclusive" is never used. It never even says that every future Yacht Club game will come to Nintendo consoles at all. Just that there is future content coming to Nintendo platforms, and that content will also be compatible with the amiibo.

They could very well still release on every system. But the amiibo content would be exclusive to Nintendo.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Uh, the current Shovel Knight isn't exclusive but still has amiibo features... Doesn't say anything about being exclusive. Exclusive content, yes.

Edit: :4greninja:

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
They showed concept art for it. The concept art had the Smash logo as the base.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
This amiibo has been in production for over a year they said. All amiibos at that time had the Smash base, because if I'm not mistaken all Amiibos were Smash related. Plus, they probably took a bit of extra joy in throwing in the Smash logo, just cuz.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
They showed concept art for it. The concept art had the Smash logo as the base.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
And then the actual base concept art is all completely different. They even went out of their way to make the real amiibo's base purple instead of the gold on the prototype in the video.

What's likely is that Nintendo sent them the "generic" amiibo base model, which was the Smash line's.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
They've commented on the Smash base.

Of course, I'd take deconfirms from their Twitter with a grain of salt after they've lied a few times on it...but that does make sense.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They've commented on the Smash base.

Of course, I'd take deconfirms from their Twitter with a grain of salt after they've lied a few times on it...but that does make sense.
They only arguably lied once, and that's VERY arguable. They said they were looking into retail listings, but any retail listings "at that time" were false. It wasn't until months later they actually announced they were producing a retail version, and to begin with they never stated they wouldn't produce a retail copy of the game. They even clearly stated they were looking into it, so I don't see how they "lied" about that.

Likewise, they debunked a Super Smash Bros. Amiibo, but they never debunked a standalone Shovel Knight Amiibo.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
They only arguably lied once, and that's VERY arguable. They said they were looking into retail listings, but any retail listings "at that time" were false. It wasn't until months later they actually announced they were producing a retail version, and to begin with they never stated they wouldn't produce a retail copy of the game. They even clearly stated they were looking into it, so I don't see how they "lied" about that.

Likewise, they debunked a Super Smash Bros. Amiibo, but they never debunked a standalone Shovel Knight Amiibo.
Plus they didn't lie in the specified Tweet either. It probably is just a prototype base, but that doesn't mean he isn't in smash.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
image.jpg
Possible stage entry? :awesome:

Well, anyway, the Shovel Knight amiibo looks great. I was waiting for a reveal of Nintendo-exclusive content before deciding to buy the game. Now that that's happened, I just have to decide whether to get it digital or physical. I wonder if and hope the amiibo can be used in games with non-specific unlocks for all amiibo. (Hyrule Warriors, Mario Party 10, Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash, etc.)

Put me on the support list if I'm not already there.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
<- Supports Shovel Knight for Smash (after King K. Rool)

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
why is the amiibo's base Golden in the reveal video by the grumps? isn't it supposed to be purple?

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
A Shovel Knight amiibo. Very nice. Not too keen on it being promoted by game grumps of all people, but still awesome.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The Game Grumps are very popular and I know at least Arin Hanson is a huge fan of Shovel Knight so it makes perfect sense if they wanted to use fans to promote it.

Also, they're awesome. :)

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
"Nintendo confirmed Shovel Knight will not work with first-party games at this time, but the feature is under consideration"

so either they mean it and Shovel Knight DLC aint happening... or they're being sneaky shutups

Freduardo

Smash Champion
"Nintendo confirmed Shovel Knight will not work with first-party games at this time, but the feature is under consideration"

so either they mean it and Shovel Knight DLC aint happening... or they're being sneaky shutups
So it wouldn't work with amiibo tap and hyrule warriors?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Unfortunatl

This means this leaker is caught red handed as a fraud

This amiibo has nothing to do with smash

You guys only hope left is if they make a second version of this amiibo and its the smash version.

Top Bottom