• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Super Smash Bros Melee be ranked as a third priority?

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
At this last Evo 2018, it was clearly demonstrated that Smash 4 practically died with 9k average viewers and 45k peak viewers, while Smash Bros Melee had 26k average viewers and 180,000 peak viewers.

So why is this page prioritizing Smash 4 over Melee?

D

Deleted member

But if that would be the case, Brawl would be ranked above Melee which isn't the case.
No Smash 4 is the newer game overall probably after ultimate Smash 4 will be third melee will be second and ultimate will be first

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
At this last Evo 2018, it was clearly demonstrated that Smash 4 practically died with 9k average viewers and 45k peak viewers, while Smash Bros Melee had 26k average viewers and 180,000 peak viewers.

So why is this page prioritizing Smash 4 over Melee?
The background render actually looks like it is from Ultimate now, but Sm4sh and Ultimate do look REALLY similar visuals-wise.

Last edited:

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
No Smash 4 is the newer game overall probably after ultimate Smash 4 will be third melee will be second and ultimate will be first
Well this is a whole different point right now, does this mean that Smashboards prioritizes hype over competitive gaming quality and a genuine acceptance?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well this is a whole different point right now, does this mean that Smashboards prioritizes hype over competitive gaming quality and a genuine acceptance?
Pretty much let's think of it this way Generation 3 of Pokemon is more popular than 7 that doesn't mean they'll throw the newest one in the trash who has the most pokemon in it and better graphics the main appeal of Smash 4 is it has the most characters of any smash game if it had the same amount of characters as melee probably will be prioritized over it

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Quite frankly, yes.

Last edited:

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
Quite frankly, yes.
So, no wonder Smashboards is pretty much empty right now, considering casuals ain't on the search of a deep improvement and the Smash Bros Melee community is still abundant but outside the Smashboards website due the given prioritizing values on the matter.

It must hurt for the Smashboards staff, to realize they turned the back to their most potential loyal community members, people which are ready to deepen the subject.

I think hype, can give you users, that's a fact, but it's likely to be temporary, especially when it comes to a game which is less competitive, a situation where there is not really much decipher/deepen, this factor, makes the whole situation redundant for dedicated players which developed passion during the early stages of the game when it was new.

However, as long those dedicated players face the truth, they're likely to get bored and for casuals, it becomes something out of fashion and they replace everything for a new source a new fashion.

Well, I think that's the reason why the activity in Smashboards decreased.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, no wonder Smashboards is pretty much empty right now, considering casuals ain't on the search of a deep improvement and the Smash Bros Melee community is still abundant but outside the Smashboards website due the given prioritizing values on the matter.

It must hurt for the Smashboards staff, to realize they turned the back to their most potential loyal community members, people which are ready to deepen the subject.

I think hype, can give you users, that's a fact, but it's likely to be temporary, especially when it comes to a game which is less competitive, a situation where there is not really much decipher/deepen, this factor, makes the whole situation redundant for dedicated players which developed passion during the early stages of the game when it was new.
actually smashboards is doing as well as ever everyone's pretty much pulled into smash ultimate discussion there's like 75 users on average in that thing once smash ultimate hype dies down everything will go back to normal and I don't think putting melee under Smash 4 on a website hub is turning away melee fans you acting like a triggered melee fanboy that thinks melee is all anyone should play we're trying to explain why and have answered your question from multiple stand points

Last edited by a moderator:

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
actually smashboards is doing as well as ever everyone's pretty much pulled into smash ultimate discussion there's like 75 users on average in that thing once smash ultimate hype dies down everything will go back to normal
Fair enough, let's be honest here, the peak of Smashboards was between the Melee era and Brawl/Project M era.

The most ironic thing, is that after the Project M era, the activity started to decay, based on my own point of views, I think the Smashboards' staff wasn't experienced and we sometimes see the typical reckless attitude by young people. I'm just guessing, but I believe that after the activity started to decay, the staff felt resentment and instead of fixing their faults, they went against the river, which was their perdition IMO.

Dedicated people are the real stable users and not someone who comes for superficial curiosities.

Smashboards failed and never really attempted to recover the Melee community which is currently the strongest Smash community, a solid and loyal community, unlike the ex-Smash4 community which replaced and abandoned their game for a new hype, as we were talking about toilet paper.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fair enough, let's be honest here, the peak of Smashboards was between the Melee era and Brawl/Project M era.

The most ironic thing, is that after the Project M era, the activity started to decay, based on my own point of views, I think the Smashboards' staff wasn't experienced and we sometimes see the typical reckless attitude by young people. I'm just guessing, but I believe that after the activity started to decay, the staff felt resentment and instead of fixing their faults, they went against the river, which was their perdition IMO.

Dedicated people are the real stable users and not someone who comes for superficial curiosities.

Smashboards failed and never really attempted to recover the Melee community which is currently the strongest Smash community, a solid and loyal community, unlike the ex-Smash4 community which replaced and abandoned their game for a new hype, as we were talking about toilet paper.
Smashboards isn't a video game it's a forum you can't really appeal to audiences they put games give them different threads to put more threads in and moderate the threads you can't really appeal to different audiences

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Unfortunately, yes. Melee, PM, and Smash 64 fans have moved on to Discord for actual meaning discussions about the game. Reddit is a kind of a place for ****posting and tournament viewings, and twitter is a blackhole for drama and bad opinions by players. Smashboards is basically dead, and it will only get new activity for the new game once it is released, which will probably die down again in a few months after the game's release.

Some of the Smashboards staff have indeed shown to be more biased towards Smash 4 or the "new game" (I won't mention names here but if you really want to know just PM me or smth), and sadly there is not much us users can do about that. What we can still do, however, is keep discussions about Melee going in areas of this website that are still active and thriving, such as the Falco and Marth Character discussion threads run by PPMD.

Gearkeeper-8a

Smash Apprentice
The reality is that forums in general aren't as popular as they were during melee/brawl era, melee fans in general are older that the other smash fanbases (exception smash 64), and you need to consider that melee top players don't really use forums or discords (aside of ppmd who still post here), because twitter and twitch are far easier platforms to get views that get money

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
The reality is that forums in general aren't as popular as they were during melee/brawl era, melee fans in general are older that the other smash fanbases (exception smash 64), and you need to consider that melee top players don't really use forums or discords (aside of ppmd who still post here), because twitter and twitch are far easier platforms to get views that get money
This is not true, you can take a look to www.comicvine.com, currently, a CO forum which was approximately created in 2006, 7 years after Smashboards was created, and their activity is actually insane.

It's not only about top players leading a discussion but the regular dedicated players too with aspirations to become professional players, that's the real core in order to keep a constant qualitative growth, the successors are important as the top players and places like this are key, one thing is that the staff didn't know how to deal with it, everything froze due the lack of care, persistence and recognition toward a more valuable community.

It's demonstrable, how? Look at Brawl how it died and then Smash4, now look to the Melee community, the ideologies behind those communities are insanely different from each other, they are not equal in any sense.

One side inherits and needs successors and the other side recruits units through hype and fashion, because of the product, the Melee community is practically homeless, because they can't find a house in places like in Reddit, but Reddit is a perfect home for the Smash4 and Smash Ultimate communities.

Despite the Melee community is homeless, it's a more solid community than the Smash4 community, how you can explain Melee's survival after all?

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I made a post in the Community VIP forums laying out exactly how SmashBoards could bring back the Melee community by working with top players and content creators to emphasize incentives for them to interact on the site. Unfortunately, either the powers that be don't believe in my ideas enough to implement them, or they aren't all that interested in spending time and effort to reignite the interest of the Melee community. Either way, I'm pretty disappointed. I grew up posting on SmashBoards and it's always been such an amazing resource for veterans as well as a great way to introduce new players to the community. Being replaced by toxic sites such as the likes of Reddit, Twitter, and Twitch chat is an absolute disgrace, but I've grown tired of trying to respond personally to every thread to help one individual at a time. The site could encourage a culture of teaching and adopting newcomers so that doesn't have to be the case, but as it is now, it feels more like every person is dropped in a giant desert left to fend for themselves. Unless they stumble onto the oasis that is the 5 active Melee threads, I can't imagine anyone would stick around for very long.

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
I made a post in the Community VIP forums laying out exactly how SmashBoards could bring back the Melee community by working with top players and content creators to emphasize incentives for them to interact on the site. Unfortunately, either the powers that be don't believe in my ideas enough to implement them, or they aren't all that interested in spending time and effort to reignite the interest of the Melee community. Either way, I'm pretty disappointed. I grew up posting on SmashBoards and it's always been such an amazing resource for veterans as well as a great way to introduce new players to the community. Being replaced by toxic sites such as the likes of Reddit, Twitter, and Twitch chat is an absolute disgrace, but I've grown tired of trying to respond personally to every thread to help one individual at a time. The site could encourage a culture of teaching and adopting newcomers so that doesn't have to be the case, but as it is now, it feels more like every person is dropped in a giant desert left to fend for themselves. Unless they stumble onto the oasis that is the 5 active Melee threads, I can't imagine anyone would stick around for very long.
This all reminds me of Lucky Luciano's history, when he reformed and reunited the 5 Families in NY, but seems that you and many others weren't as successful as he was, considering it was almost the same situation, the 5 families of NY, the 5 gods of Melee.

Well, we all know, there is and always was a certain concurrence between the top players of Melee, where in the very deep, anyone wants to be the center of attraction and gain so much public as possible, which supports them in their own territories, such as in Twitter or Twitch.

But anyone with common sense, realizes, that a divided public isn't strong enough to improve the movement in a long-term, it might keep it stable or passive, but there is no real development, it's a limited way to keep something ongoing, it few words, it stagnates.

I lack the influence, but you should offer them something where they all could profit from it, for the reason they invested a lot of spirit in their growth during the past years, there should be an exchange and it's natural to expect something like that within most standards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom