• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should SSE Characters Have Spoken?

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if anyone had made this thread before me.

So? Do you guys think that SSE characters should have spoken? It would have provided some insight on the world of SSE, which is vastly unexplained, but the counter could say that it's better that way, a simple fantasy containing all of our favorite heroes. I think that SSE characters should have spoken, because the SSE Universe fascinates me, and it really bothers me that we have to go online for insight on the storyline, such as how the Halbred was stolen. Some things are still left unexplained. I doubt most of you guys care about a lot of those things, however.

This really ties into the "Should Nintendo Characters Talk" debate.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I think it depends on the character. Link and Mario shouldn't speak. Overall, I would have the others (especially Fox, Snake, Falco, Samus, Marth, Meta Knight, and Ike)speak, but not much.

gupta3

Smash Rookie
I don't think they should. We can understand the history without they talks and did unexplain anything. Nintendo exclude the scenes where explain the history. If you want to know the real history behind,go to Smash Bros DOJO. They explain everything.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Certain characters should have spoken (ex: Mario, Snake, MK, Fox, Falco, ect.), others would use text boxes in which pretain to the games the character was associated with (example: Ganondorf would use a box of text, and everytime you scroll to the next text box, it would use the same sound effects as in, say, the OoT), or a series of physical gestures or grunts (ex: DK, Kirby, Yoshi, Pika, ect.) It would have made the game a bit more unique to have dialoge involved...

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Certain characters should have spoken (ex: Mario, Snake, MK, Fox, Falco, ect.), others would use text boxes in which pretain to the games the character was associated with (example: Ganondorf would use a box of text, and everytime you scroll to the next text box, it would use the same sound effects as in, say, the OoT), or a series of physical gestures or grunts (ex: DK, Kirby, Yoshi, Pika, ect.) It would have made the game a bit more unique to have dialoge involved...
pretty much this.

-Final-

Aria♪
I think having voices would have just made it annoying, and I don't exactly agree with text boxes either. Having stuff like that added would just make the game more based on storyline than actual gameplay. So no, I like it just the way it is.

*Z*

Smash Rookie
Fox, Falco, Wolf, Snake, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, mostly the people that don't sound weird talking.

For bosses, I would have to say.....NONE!

Psycho Meta Knight

Smash Apprentice
The only word spoken throughout SSE was when Peach said "No" to GaW. Are you kidding me? Why was everyone so silent? I think characters that talk in the games (Like the Star Fox crew, Snake, etc) but then the ones who seem to never say anything could've stayed quiet (Link, Kirby, etc)

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
The only word spoken throughout SSE was when Peach said "No" to GaW. Are you kidding me? Why was everyone so silent? I think characters that talk in the games (Like the Star Fox crew, Snake, etc) but then the ones who seem to never say anything could've stayed quiet (Link, Kirby, etc)
Didn't Snake say "Kept you waiting, huh?" when he first came out of his box?

On topic, I do like the characters not speaking, except through gestures and noises. I guess I'd be okay with them speaking, but it just seemed better to have them not say a word.

Aibou

Smash Master
The only word spoken throughout SSE was when Peach said "No" to GaW.
lol I didn't even hear that.

And Snake and Ike also spoke. Snake saying "Kept you waiting huh?" And Ike shouting "Great Aether!", during their respective introduction scenes.

Anyway, I agree that there should have been more dialogue. Characters that talk in the game should have been able to talk in the SSE cutscenes.

DREZO

Smash Rookie
We can understand the history without they talks and did unexplain anything.
Here's how I see it. It's a matter of depth. Nintendo is pretty much drowning in their ideals. Most of Nintendo characters are old. When they first came out, retro systems couldn't handle voice acting. Nintendo did it in a way that it seemed to us they didn't speak because there was no need to. As consoles developed, most of the other companies added voice acting to their characters. Some did better than others, but that's just how it works.

Nintendo on the other hand, played it safe and stick to their non-speaking characters. It worked out pretty well for a couple of years but, video games have developed so much that having characters speak is becoming a must. Kids (that play video games) these days want graphics, they want the story to be told to them. The less imaginative they have to be, the better.

Sure some of you will say you like your Mario/Link quiet. But that's because they've grown into you since the first pixel-ed games. Nintendo has to keep in mind the next generations to come. They're trying to improve and that shows on the most recent Metroid: Other M, which by the way looks much better than the Prime series. I own the trilogy, though my brother is the one who finished it. It somehow didn't have enough depth to hold my attention.

Anyways, I think SSE was a lot of fun to play (especially 2P) but, story-wise, sucked. And to answer the question, yes. Characters should have spoken if they somehow managed to not make it awkward.

Crazy4pikachus

Smash Rookie
Eh it would be cool, but... I still think it would be better if they did the silent treetment, but that's just my oppinon.

MasterSwordStudio

Smash Rookie
Actually, That isn't true. When Ike cuts the bomb off of the ancient minister, He yells "AETHER!"

Yup.

CelestiBoom

Smash Rookie
In Cappy Town with Kirby, MK and Dedede...
Peach did talk, TWICE (In Sheik and the Fallen Arwing, where Peach says "Hi!") but it feels more like once since it did'nt really seem like she was saying "No!"...
And it's true... Ike and Snake did talk... But so did Ness (The bit when he was saving Lucas from the ******* statue) and Captain Falcon (Falcwn Pawnch dat R.O.B!)!!!
Characters CAN talk in SSE mode, take Marth for example... he can talk in that mode (with his taunt) yet, he doesn't talk in the actual cutsences... It's the same for Lucas, Sonic, Wolf, etc.

Mr. Anon

Smash Cadet
I don't think speech would add anything to subspace emmisary. Characters are able to express their thoughts and emotions without speech, and that gives it a unique atmosphere. Some people suggested the idea of having some characters talk, and others stay silent. However, I feel it would sound really weird, especially if a talking character conversed with a non-talking character.

Finally, subspace emmisary is supposed to have the actual trophy-fighters that you play as in vs mode, not the original characters (Mario in SSE is not the actual Mario, for example), so they should logically talk only when they use a move that in the game causes them to say something (like Falcon Punch or PK Thunder).

That's my two cents.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Kind of, as I don't expect Bowser to be very talkative. Certain characters like R.O.B, MK, and Snake could have talked, but for some (Mario, Pokemon Trainer, Kirby) it would have been unnatural.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
I'm honesty glad there wasn't any actual dialogue. It kinda puts the player in a constant state of wonder...
...After typing that, I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
Rather late to this one I know. XD But in all seriousness, I think that SSE was just fine without dialogue. You can tell what they're thinking just by their expressions so you can kind of interpret what they would say if there were any lines.

Top Bottom