• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Sonic have used his classic design instead?

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
I've seen people who said that since Smash used the most popular and most well-received interpretations for third party characters, like Simon, Pac-Man, and Mega Man in their old-school looks, then Sonic should've used his classic design rather than the modern one because the classic games are the best and the golden age of his series.

Probably just the crazier parts of the already crazy Sonic fandom saying this, but what do you think? Would you be fine if everything Sonic-related in Smash comes from the classic era? Right down to a trophy of Amy being in her green shirt?

D

Deleted member

I think he should keep his modern design but maybe he could have a classic alt? That might be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
I think he should keep his modern design but maybe he could have a classic alt? That might be cool.
Height would be an issue, though. Classic Sonic is shorter.

Yes, this happened with the Koopalings, and they look silly as *******. I can't imagine a Classic Sonic with growth spurt looking any better...

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
Yeah it would look great as an alt costume. Definetely dont want him to be an echo fighter tho.

SonicMario

Smash Master
No, I appreciate the Classic Sonic games alot. But I wouldn't want them to return to that being the default style just because the modern design happens to have a lot more ups and down. That was never the modern sonic design's fault. Sonic getting taller, green eyes, and slimmer has nothing to do with why the franchise fell in quality. And in fact was doing just fine (Even if the early 2000's era for Sonic wasn't exactly the goldern era for Sonic) with those designs until well... Sonic 06

The modern design/artstyle is still appealing enough to stand out and by now has been Sonic's design for longer then Classic Sonic has. While there are a decent amount of people who probably prefer how Classic Sonic looked, the design that started with Sonic Adventure is going to stay his design for the near future. And I don't think Sakurai's ever complained about using the design compared to what I hear for Pac-Man's Ghostly Adventures design.

I've always kind of wanted an alt for Classic at least. But I understand Generations makes it canon that Classic Sonic is much shorter. And couldn't be an echo either because of size. ...And I doubt anyone wants what would pretty much be "Young Sonic" unless they really were that adamant about playing as Classic Sonic in Smash.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm glad it's Modern Sonic. Despite what a lot of reviews for Modern Sonic games will tell you, Sonic is still relevant. Most of the characters who adhere to their classic designs aren't as iconic in their modern iterations or reboots. Also, even if the quality of games have been... Mixed... Modern Sonic is designed for 3D and the character model has always looked sick.

:093:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm very happy its modern Sonic.

The reason he was redesigned in the late 90s is because Sonic Team noted that merch tended to make Sonic a lot more cute than he was in the games. Sonic however was always meant to be a rebellious, free-spirited teen, so they decided to tweak the design to reflect his character.

There is, of course, quite a bit of irony in this fact, considering how current Sonic Team insists that Classic and Modern Sonic are two different characters and that the classic iteration is cutsy and marketable. It is an unneccessary and lazy way of cashing in on peoples nostalgia.
While I'm opposing the word of god, I consider both designs to be the same character. You don't control me, Iizuka!

All that aside, I just prefer the modern design. The mix of classic cartoons and graffiti artwork is a fantastic aesthetic and just is really cool.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
To be fair, they only went with the classic Mega Man design because the other iterations are different characters, and for Pac-Man, his Ghostly Adventures design is just bad, so they went with his older 3D design. Can't say why they went with Simon's classic design other than preference. Also Sonic's modern design isn't a whole lot different than his old one, so maybe they just went with the modern one because it's, well, more modern. I guess there's really no point in trying to figure out the twisted and mysterious mind of Sakurai.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sonic is using his modern design, likely because his first game on a Nintendo console used his modern design. Hard to say if that's the true reason or not though.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I believe most Sonic fans actually like modern Sonic and at this point, it's more recognizable to the general public than the classic look ( it was in a friggin Disney movie for goodness sake ). It might not seem like it, because the purists are very vocal and very gruff.

I think it's not that Sakurai uses the most well received and beloved versions of a character ( otherwise we would never have gotten Command Fox ), it's that he doesn't like using offensively bad bastardizations like Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man or ( hopefully ) Nuts n Bolts Banjo.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
I believe most Sonic fans actually like modern Sonic and at this point, it's more recognizable to the general public than the classic look ( it was in a friggin Disney movie for goodness sake ). It might not seem like it, because the purists are very vocal and very gruff.

I think it's not that Sakurai uses the most well received and beloved versions of a character ( otherwise we would never have gotten Command Fox ), it's that he doesn't like using offensively bad bastardizations like Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man or ( hopefully ) Nuts n Bolts Banjo.
I like Nuts n Bolts' design.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't mind the modern design. But outside of Smash, Modern Sonic is mostly dead to me.
I actually like we've gone back to Classic Sonic for the most part.

I appreciate Modern Sonic for bringing me back to the series through Sonic Advance (I'll be honest, Adventure 1 and 2 basically turned me away from the series, Advance got me back). But Advance 1, 2, 3, and Generations (sometimes) are the only modern Sonic games I go back to.

In any case, the modern design is a tad nostalgic, so I'm OK with it being represented. I don't even mind if Shadow gets in. That'd be actually pretty cool.
I mean... as long as it isn't Boom, I'll take it.

SSB_Chai

Smash Rookie
Although retro Sonic is my favorite Sonic by far, I feel that the aesthetic of modern Sonic fits Smash Bros. a bit more. It seems arbitrary due to the vast variety of art styles in the game, but something about his modern look just seems "right".

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
I grew up with Modern Sonic when I first got into the series in 2005, I'm glad they have stuck with it throughout the Smash series. It's the look that most people recognize Sonic in. I do wonder why Classic Sonic isn't at least a skin for him though. His cyan color does give him Classic's fur color (at least from what it was in Generations and Forces),. Yet it does make me think why they wouldn't put an actual Classic skin in his costume swaps. Much better than making Classic an Echo Fighter (which I'd totally be against - much rather have Shadow as an echo, or even Tails as a separate fighter)

SomeGuyInAPlace

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7040 4243 4159
No. I would want classic sonic in the game as his own character (or echo) though, if tails or robotnik couldn't get in instead. He could be a smaller, faster sonic who's lighter than pichu. Less range than Modern Sonic but higher kill potential. AND THEN MAYBE WE COULD FINALLY GET THE INSTASHIELD AS A NEUTRAL AIR HGFHGGJSJGFJS

For ****s and giggles, side-B could be the fire shield, up-B could be the lightning shield, and neutral-B could be the super peel-out. Down-b would stay the same but he'd have the dash-attack from brawl. I wish I was smart enough to mod that LOL.

Last edited:

Tommyolivermorgan

Smash Rookie
Personally I'd take a third option of making Classic Sonic the Young Link to Sonic as well as adding in Boom Sonic as the Toon Link to Sonic. Boom Sonic will be Referred to in game as "Sonic Boom" Or "ソニックトゥーン" in Japanese Language. (It'll make a lot of sense)

As a sort of Cannon Foreigner, Boom Sonic have Super Sonic as Final Smash as well as Classic Sonic having Super Sonic as Final Smash.

Last edited:

MrSonicSB

Smash Rookie
Personally I'd take a third option of making Classic Sonic the Young Link to Sonic as well as adding in Boom Sonic as the Toon Link to Sonic. Boom Sonic will be Referred to in game as "Sonic Boom" Or "ソニックトゥーン" in Japanese Language. (It'll make a lot of sense)

As a sort of Cannon Foreigner, Boom Sonic have Super Sonic as Final Smash as well as Classic Sonic having Super Sonic as Final Smash.
I think that ONE Sonic is enough, i think that Sega wants to forget Boom Sonic even existed and we can see that People have enough of Classic Sonic since Sonic forces (when he is not in a 2D Game) and we already have 3 Links and 2 Marios

Sonic’s design is completely fine he shows personality and fits in my opinion way better into the roaster than the other Sonic’s.

The only thing I would change is his Moveset.

Just my opinion, I mean nothing bad

Ultimate Mains::ultmetaknight::ultwolf::ultfalcon::ultjoker:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I prefer that it is modern sonic. While I like classic Sonic, Modern Sonic was the first Sonic we saw make it to a Nintendo console and is in the most common representation of the character. Also Modern Sonic's long limbs make for more impressive hitboxes.

傑明洛

Smash Cadet
I prefer that it is modern sonic. While I like classic Sonic, Modern Sonic was the first Sonic we saw make it to a Nintendo console and is in the most common representation of the character. Also Modern Sonic's long limbs make for more impressive hitboxes.
That's a good point that modern sonic was the first to be on a Nintendo console. I personally would still prefer classic sonic cause I like his design better and think it better represents his legacy (similar to megaman). Also, yes modern sonic allows for better hitboxs, but classic sonic would make him harder to hit and escape more easily, which I think we can agree fits his character more.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I like the modern Sonic design. It fits really well. Now, if we got a secondary character that wasn't Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, or Eggman? Then I think a Classic Sonic and Tails should be added. Echo of Sonic with Ice Climber type mechanics.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I think the Classic design fits his current moveset much better. He literally has like one move that is based off of the Modern games. I love both versions but unless they change his moveset drastically, I want the light blue dude with a tude that is Classic Sonic.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the modern design (Sonic Adventure & on) was more proportional for the Smash team and what Sega and fans wanted more. I by far like the classic design better & the games. (Just my personal taste but I never liked the Sonic series from the Dreamcast and onward) It is kinda funny seeing Green Hill Zone as his most recognizable and iconic stage but he uses the modern design.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I prefer the modern design. I think it kinda fits into Smash better. The longer limbs lend themselves well to squash and stretch animation. I'd like classic as an alt costume if they could make it work well, though. Definitely don't want classic as a separate playable character, unless they add a lot of other Sonic characters first. Even as far as echo fighters go, I'd rather Shadow and maybe Silver (if he's an echo but they give him a good handful of unique moves) before classic Sonic.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
If you actually play Sonic 3 he already looks Bigger/Darker Skined also Modern Sonic looks in newer Games already pretty much like Classic!

Otoad64

Smash Lord
no, because a lot of the sonic fanbase actually has a large grudge against classic sonic for being tacked on to forces as an afterthought and largely being shoved down their throats in general, basically, modern sonic doesn't have the best games, but he is the most appealling to sonic fans and if he used his classic design it would be kinda seen as a shill to sega, like if pac-man used his ghostly adventures design (ok, it would be better received then that) but yeah, seeing classic nowadays usually makes sonic fans groan

Top Bottom