• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Piranha Plant be NERFED?

SmashDrone_07

Smash Rookie
Anyone think that Piranha Plant is OP. His Side B does somewhere around 50-46 damage.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
*if youre dumb enough to stand in it or let him grab you.

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Anyone think that Piranha Plant is OP. His Side B does somewhere around 50-46 damage.
One great move doesn't mean he's top tier. If that were the case then Jigglypuff should be top tier in Ultimate for being able to use sing and then rest.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
While it's too early to call for nerfs and buffs... I do feel like if anything Piranha Plant may need a buff instead. Now take my statement with a grain of salt as I did just say it's early, but I feel that he is lacking in aerials simply that I feel that the land lag is pretty rough on him. That and maybe increase the range for his uair as I feel it's pretty short.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Yes, it should totes do like 20 damage tops so it's literally not a threat at all. The only balanced move is a worthless one

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
While it's too early to call for nerfs and buffs... I do feel like if anything Piranha Plant may need a buff instead. Now take my statement with a grain of salt as I did just say it's early, but I feel that he is lacking in aerials simply that I feel that the land lag is pretty rough on him. That and maybe increase the range for his uair as I feel it's pretty short.
He def does not need a nerf, but a buff seems a bit much as well. His aerials are designed the way they are because plant is very deliberately a grounded character. His aerials are very good for intercepting aerial opponents, but bad for aerial approaches. That, plus everything else in his kit point to a strong anti air game and area denial strategy. Patooie alone is an absolute godsend of a move as it not only covers a lot of space, but covers the RIGHT space.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Why, yes, and I know how it should be nerfed: give an additional 40 frames of endlag to every move it has. That would make the plant fair.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Why, yes, and I know how it should be nerfed: give an additional 40 frames of endlag to every move it has. That would make the plant fair.
Didn't they already kind of do this with his aerials looooool

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
No. If anything, it should be buffed, but I'm honestly okay with it where it is now.

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
Ehhh, nah. I don't really think this character is in need of any adjustments. I mean maybe some buffs actually. So far the character looks average/below average.

Uffe

Smash Hero
It can be Pocketed, reflected, or swallowed for free health. Poison Breath shouldn't be nerfed, and from the looks of it, Piranha Plant doesn't seem all that strong. I think the character actually needs a few buffs. I'm not sure where, but something about his playstyle feels a bit off.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
It can be Pocketed, reflected, or swallowed for free health. Poison Breath shouldn't be nerfed, and from the looks of it, Piranha Plant doesn't seem all that strong. I think the character actually needs a few buffs. I'm not sure where, but something about his playstyle feels a bit off.
All his aerials except his up air have so much lag that you literally can't do a midair jump after using them from a full hop. That's a good place to start.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
I'm not sure where, but something about his playstyle feels a bit off.
It's the grab range. Plant of all characters should have no issue with reaching far, but for some reason it grabs with its leaves instead of its mouth. That makes its above average throws much harder to access than they should be.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
It's the grab range. Plant of all characters should have no issue with reaching far, but for some reason it grabs with its leaves instead of its mouth. That makes its above average throws much harder to access than they should be.
He should grab with his mouth, but they probably weren't sure how he'd do his jabs. Crunch with his teeth, I'd imagine. His grab range should be better, but that's not what I feel is missing. I still can't put my finger on it. I wish they'd buff Ness' grab range just a tad as well. It's hard to get in against heavily defensive playstyles.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Buff him to beyond top tier

MangoPeachey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1868-5016-7402
I feel as if they should fix his up air by making the hitbox much bigger, which would give him another combo starter other than dthrow fair by being able to shorthop up air. Maybe decreasing lag on fair to give him a good spacing tool that he can use freely.

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
No. He's pretty terrible honestly. He has virtually no neutral game. All of his grounded options are awful in horizontal range, all of his aerials are unsafe on shield against most characters, and he is pretty slow in general. Patooie has a massive blind spot right infront of him and you can attack him through side b. The character is entirely advantage state but gets blown up in neutral harder than Ganondorf for it to matter. It doesn't help that he's bait for combos and juggles because he's big, heavy, and all of his landing options are laggy.

1FC0

Smash Lord
One great move doesn't mean he's top tier. If that were the case then Jigglypuff should be top tier in Ultimate for being able to use sing and then rest.
False because Sing and Rest is a combination of 2 moves and thus it does not fulfill the premise of being one great move.

Top Bottom