• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Olimar be buffed or nerfed?

MattVRox0525

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4184-7454-9388
Switch FC
SW-5339-1787-8388
Just based on what you’ve seen.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I think before they change any actual balance aspects of him they should fix the glitches affecting him. Such as his smashes not gaining any power when charged, his grab not working if too close to the ledge, and Pikmin dying sometimes after you try to punish with a smash after you parry.

Math Jreeds 1284

Smash Cadet
Neither, it can't be helped; buff him and everyone loses their minds (and becomes my new secondary lulul ;)) nerf him and he becomes like Diddy where you constantly hit your opponent but can't kill for nothin.

MattVRox0525

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4184-7454-9388
Switch FC
SW-5339-1787-8388
I think before they change any actual balance aspects of him they should fix the glitches affecting him. Such as his smashes not gaining any power when charged, his grab not working if too close to the ledge, and Pikmin dying sometimes after you try to punish with a smash after you parry.
Wait that last one happens? I’ve seen the other two, but not that
Neither, it can't be helped; buff him and everyone loses their minds (and becomes my new secondary lulul ;)) nerf him and he becomes like Diddy where you constantly hit your opponent but can't kill for nothin.
So he’s in a Sheik situation. Lol

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Olimar doesn't need buffs. Olimar is actually a really big threat in this game, both in damage, neutral and offstage plays, with kill power I might add. He also doesn't need nurfed, he isn't a free "I got carried by my character" character like Wolf is. In general, in a game, I think nurfing content is a bad move. I rather see bad content be buffed to be good, than good content be nurfed to be bad.

Last edited:

MattVRox0525

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4184-7454-9388
Switch FC
SW-5339-1787-8388
That really needs to be fixed. It’s really unfair.
Subbed btw :D

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I completely see why folk say Olimar's top tier, but I still think he needs a slight buff. Pikmin die really quick, it seems way too easy to shake 'em off now, makes Olimar feel kinda like a glass cannon to me. I kinda wish they buffed his speed a bit more too, especially compared to everyone else in Ultimate. I dunno, I still like the guy, but somehow he felt more fun to me in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
I completely see why folk say Olimar's top tier, but I still think he needs a slight buff. Pikmin die really quick, it seems way too easy to shake 'em off now, makes Olimar feel kinda like a glass cannon to me. I kinda wish they buffed his speed a bit more too, especially compared to everyone else in Ultimate. I dunno, I still like the guy, but somehow he felt more fun to me in Smash 4.
lol I really don't think a pikman dying is an issue when you can just freely pluck a new one out of the ground. Olimar is, with the exception of an exploitable recovery, one of the most well grounded characters in a niche, which also happens to be consistent and reliable at doing so.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only nerf that I can think of is making the Pikmin attacks clang with other hitboxes again. Apparently the Pikmin have been blessed with transcendent priority.

Other than that, there really isn't much that I can bring up for Olimar.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
He's actually slightly faster in Ultimate compared to 4, and while Pikmin die earlier due to lower health they also do considerably more latch damage than in 4. As for clanking his smashes still do, but not his aerials (thank god). I don't really think he needs a buff in the traditional since but more things like fixing his jab 1 for consistency, letting grab work when you're back is to the ledge, fixing the immediate grab break glitch, etc...

He's very powerful in this game, and to me is a far less restricted version of Smash 4 Olimar.

Hacky

Smash Cadet
NNID
SN_Hacky
3DS FC
4513-4712-4723
Switch FC
2414 6996 3456
Here is a video I made on it.
So as per 1:57 of the video for your suggested fixes, when you talk about the hitbox of a parried move being deactivated, would you only feel that way for single-hit moves? Seems like a fairly obvious Q/A, but multi-hit moves should still continue to trump over a pikmin in this scenario. One of my suggestions for this, although it might honestly be broken, but for characters like Olimar and Rosaluma, if the main character parries, the Pikmin/Luma/side character could also be given a 1-3 frame window of invincibility. Giving anything invincibility draws speculation, but this seems quite doable and would potentially fix or improve this problem.

Side question because Im not at a setup right now - Pikmin aren't vulnerable to attacks when theyre "owned" and you spotdodge, correct?

Hacky

Smash Cadet
NNID
SN_Hacky
3DS FC
4513-4712-4723
Switch FC
2414 6996 3456
Also, what is wrong with Olimar's Jab? Ive never noticed any problems, but I admittedly dont use it enough.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hacky Hacky multihits would be fine tbh. Ideally they just make Pikmin desyncs function like Smash 4 and they can keep parry the same. They aren't vulnerable when you dodge.

Also Jab 1 sourspot has a tendency to make the opponent go all the way behind Olimar with good enough DI/SDI making jab 2 whiff.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Hacky Hacky multihits would be fine tbh. Ideally they just make Pikmin desyncs function like Smash 4 and they can keep parry the same. They aren't vulnerable when you dodge.

Also Jab 1 sourspot has a tendency to make the opponent go all the way behind Olimar with good enough DI/SDI making jab 2 whiff.
Does that combo at all

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Olimar is great only if well played while he kind of s*cks for people that aren't strong with him. The issue is that most people don't like to play with him. Rather than a simple "buff" or "nerf", I think that Olimar needs changes.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Olimar is great only if well played while he kind of s*cks for people that aren't strong with him. The issue is that most people don't like to play with him. Rather than a simple "buff" or "nerf", I think that Olimar needs changes.
Not once has olimar ever sucked

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Not once has olimar ever sucked
You always have to respawn death Pikmins, even after you just respawned, and he's too slow using his :GCU:+:GCB:. Just those 2 things makes him pretty annoying to play with. When you control the character pretty well, I agree that he is powerful. But personally (and like most players) I don't like Olimar's playstyle and the only time I play him (since Brawl) is when I go random.

I wouldn't mind if Olimar doesn't change because I like the fact of having very unique characters that have their own way of fighting and it would annoy me if one of the characters I love to play with get remade in something I won't like. However, I still think that if devs wants to make changes, they shouldn't just think about a simple "nerf"/"buff", but a way to make him funnier to play with.

Top Bottom