• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should l Play lvy to Learn The Game?

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
l'm trying to get into PM, learn your neutral-game, pick up a main, and such. Before posting this, l played Ganon, who really isn't helping my improvement (or l'm just a scrub who can't PM with an arguably middle tier), so l'm trying to think about what would be best in the long run.

ln a Youtube channel based on Melee tutorials, they mentioned that Captain Falcon is a great character to learn the fundamentals with, but he seems overused. l know Marth's dash-dancing and wavedashes are amazing, which could make me want to use them in general more without needing to think about it, but again, l feel like there's already a ton.

Basically, l don't want a Melee top tier. l'm trying to be a hipster for some reason.

Looking at lvysaur's kit, she seems like she's a boring/annoying character to fight, but can have some pretty amazing moments with Solarbeam and Vine Whip. Tons of reach, the down b (someone tell me what move that is, please) looks annoying (which is good), and it looks like she doesn't like getting rushed down or heavily camped, like how lke is in SSB4 (who l main).

Plus, the stuff l learn about lvysaur while learning PM in general would obviously be very useful.

Besides, you guys seem a little lonely.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
If you want to play Ivysaur play Ivysaur, lol. She's super fun to play since she's pretty unique and a bit organic too. I like her and she was def. one of the characters I was interested in playing when I first started too. There's not a wrong answer here.

Saproling

Smash Journeyman
Shes a solid fundamentals based character but I would suggest Marth simply as hes similar in archetype in most aspects and performs better in the meta.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Shes a solid fundamentals based character but I would suggest Marth simply as hes similar in archetype in most aspects and performs better in the meta.
Usually, people will at least pretend that their main is decent. Are you saying this just because he's Ivy's worst matchup? Lel.

Joking aside, maybe l'll just give them both a little time.

Saproling

Smash Journeyman
Marth isn't our worst MU. What I'm saying is he simply struggles in less MUs because he's more developed while also making it easier to learn from the development.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Marth isn't our worst MU. What I'm saying is he simply struggles in less MUs because he's more developed while also making it easier to learn from the development.
Strange, l've heard that lvy really struggles with Marth in the matchup thread. Then again, l only read the very first page, which is pretty old....

cisyphus

Smash Ace
It's simply that Marth is an objectively stronger character than Ivysaur. Ivysaur does lose the MU but that's not the sole reason folks are suggesting Marth lmao. The two characters play relatively similarly with their disjointed neutral pokes, heavy grab punishes, strong edgeguard game, and safe-when-spaced aerials. Obviously it's not as simple as that but

Last edited:

Squeemos

Smash Rookie
If you wanna play ivy go ahead, our meta is progressing very rapidly right now. While Marth is a hard MU, there are harder ones such as the spacies and Falcon, but all of which are possible.
Ivy relies on fundamentals and not really much technical skill, but she is not a boring character. She is pretty hype imo, with a pretry damn good combo game (well, pretty good flow charts for follow ups) as well as a few very notable moves (vine whip and solarbeam ofc) making her exciting to watch and play.

However, sometimes she needs to be played lame. Like really lame, such as razor leaf and camping edge and camping platforms and healing to win. But not every character can be falcon. So I can get if someone says she's boring, prove them wrong. She is very versatile ( watch sothe, steel kangaroo, JZ, denti, etc.)

To sum it up: she's not crazy hard, she's pretty hype, Marth is not the scariest, she's versatile, and really really fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom