• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I stop clawing the controller?

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
When I play, I usually have my index finger on Y and my thumb on the c-stick for quick aerials. Should I stop doing this and have my thumb on jump and only switch quickly when I want to aerial? Right now it feels like I won't always get the right aerial or do it too late if I were to use the normal grip. Only downside I feel I have at the moment is that I'm not as consistent with doing short hops and my index finger starts to hurt a bit if I do it too long. I usually switch mid-match depending on what I will do next, if I know I'm going to grab I switch to normal grip etc.

The reason I ask this though is that I see that all pro-players use normal grip (at least what I know)

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
No

Many players I know actually consider learning to play claw from standard for its advantages.

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
Claw is good.
The reason the pro players don't use it is because when you switch the way you hold the controller you have to relearn your muscle memory.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
There are definitely pro players that use claw. I noticed Abate using claw at TBH5

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
Guess I'll continue with it then since it feels more natural for me.

Thanks!

chrbir5

Smash Cadet
The most important part of controller management is doing what's comfortable. Your hands need to be free of tension. If R-Claw helps you, then do it.

Also, a lot of players use claw. Notably alex from Alex's Puff Stuff, and a lot of technical foxes do intermittent claw.

Some players even do L-claw so the joystick basically becomes a fight stick. Notably Plup and KJH.

Hbox tap jumps and does most of his arials with Z.

It's about comfort and analog control and developing sustainable hand positions.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I stopped because when I did it I had to carry around a board to support my wrists so they were at a good angle, but If it works fine for you, you should keep it. The only disadvantage I can find is that sometimes with two fingers on the right side you can be inconsistent.

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
The most important part of controller management is doing what's comfortable. Your hands need to be free of tension. If R-Claw helps you, then do it.

Also, a lot of players use claw. Notably alex from Alex's Puff Stuff, and a lot of technical foxes do intermittent claw.

Some players even do L-claw so the joystick basically becomes a fight stick. Notably Plup and KJH.

Hbox tap jumps and does most of his arials with Z.

It's about comfort and analog control and developing sustainable hand positions.
Oh, I've never seen Plup's controller cam, do you have a video of it? Sounds interesting that someone would claw the left side

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
I use the normal grip, but I see no problem with the claw. I just use it because it's what i started with.
Just go for whatever you feel comfortable playing with, personally I think that it's the most important thing.
Unless you figure out that there's something that you just can't do whilst using the "claw grip" that you need to do. But I highly doubt that there's going to be something like that.

Top Bottom