• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I purchase Melee? Or am I too late to enter the scene?

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
So after experiencing Brawl, Project M, and SSB4, I'd really like to give Melee a try, especially after seeing it played competitively. It looks like a lot of fun! But I'm not too clear on whether its scene is welcoming to new players since most seem to have been playing it for many years now. Would you guys "mind"? Do you think I shouldn't bother or do you think I should just quit being paranoid and do whatever? Thank you! ^_^

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Sugar, Melee is never going out of style anytime soon, so y'all have plenty of time to explore its nuances and complexities. :)

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
Everyone on this site is welcoming, but your local scene might be different. One community might be filled with people that have a superiority complex as if playing Melee for 10 years makes them royalty (even though they live with their mom still and work at McDonald's), these types might get frustrated playing with such new people and consider it a waste of their time. Some of the better players might expect money for lessons (like Arc does in the DFW area)....but most other communities will welcome you in and take the time to teach you and spar with you until you grasp the fundamentals.

I'd say it's like a 20:80 split in favor of the nicer communities, most local smash groups realize that we need to be welcoming to new players since they are the future of this game staying alive competitively. Either way just take it on as a challenge to get to the top of your local group and beyond.

Last edited:

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Join it. Everyone around my scene was really welcoming and there are always players that are new to the scene so you probably won't be alone.

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
Everyone on this site is welcoming, but your local scene might be different. One community might be filled with people that have a superiority complex as if playing Melee for 10 years makes them royalty (even though they live with their mom still and work at McDonald's), these types might get frustrated playing with such new people and consider it a waste of their time. Some of the better players might expect money for lessons (like Arc does in the DFW area)....but most other communities will welcome you in and take the time to teach you and spar with you until you grasp the fundamentals.

I'd say it's like a 20:80 split in favor of the nicer communities, most local smash groups realize that we need to be welcoming to new players since they are the future of this game staying alive competitively. Either way just take it on as a challenge to get to the top of your local group and beyond.
Thanks for replying! My local scene's pretty small so I usually end up traveling to play, but the scenes I frequent the most seem to be pretty nice. And ah yes lol, the superiority complex people... I encountered a guy like that at EVO last year. I asked him if he had any quick tips for me since he seemed bored and played pretty well in his matches, and he was like, "Ehhhh, you're a little too inexperienced to understand." ;-; Wow dude...

But most people seem really nice and didn't seem to mind me observing their matches and all that, so I look forward to learning more about the game and hopefully getting better at it!

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ehhhh, you're a little too inexperienced to understand."
Wow. Not to toot my own horn, but I give really good advice, top100 players value my opinion, and I never mind helping newcomers. I'm pretty good at explaining stuff in a simple manner though. Maybe that person isn't good at describing situations. Either way, he's a *********** (didn't know what word to use so i just put asterisks lol).

bonesaw1

Smash Rookie
If there are still locals in my small midwestern city that people regularly go to I wouldn't say it's too late c:

I have a Roy secondary if you ever wanna netplay ditto btw! I'm fairly new too.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
Wow. Not to toot my own horn, but I give really good advice, top100 players value my opinion, and I never mind helping newcomers. I'm pretty good at explaining stuff in a simple manner though. Maybe that person isn't good at describing situations. Either way, he's a *********** (didn't know what word to use so i just put asterisks lol).
It auto censors cussing a swearing.

It's a bit ****ing frustrating but gotta keep P.G. I guess.

ChefBoird

Smash Rookie
It's never too late to buy melee, I use an emulator to play melee and Project M. And you're always welcome to buy melee!

Last edited:

bikupa

Smash Rookie
As a new(ish) player I agree with basicly everyone ITT. It's never been a better time to start playing. We've got so much footage to watch and learn from so getting good is easier than ever.

FalcoSBM1990

Smash Cadet
You're pretty welcome! you have done a pretty good decision, this game will pretty much improve your senses and give you a proper adrenaline boost.

Last edited:

Weggieninja

Smash Rookie
You never showed interest in Melee until now? Melee is my favorite Smash installment, and no, as shocking as this may seem, I don't play Melee competitively, but rather for fun. Up until Brawl came out, I always played it, and still played Melee from time to time though. In my opinion, it has the best looking art style regarding the character models and skins compared to Brawl and Smash 4, since Brawl's style is just disgusting, but it seems Nintendo learned that trying to make the Smash series look as realistic as possible isn't the way to go.

Anyways, no, it's not too late to start, and I highly encourage you to either buy or use an emulator to play it regardless if you want to play it competitively or for fun. If you have a good computer, you can just download the Dolphin emulator and play Melee on there without any charge. You can even add mods to Melee, such as the 20XX Training Pack, which helps competitive players test their skills. ;)

ThatKawaiiGuy

Smash Rookie
It's never to late to enter the game, homie. Feel free to use Handbook for Melee to help you learn! Let me know if there are any improvements that can be made! If it wasn't for new players entering the game, Melee would be nowhere as close to where it's become now, so feel free to join the community!

Jayners

Smash Rookie
Would you guys "mind"? Do you think I shouldn't bother or do you think I should just quit being paranoid and do whatever???
As a new player (First tourney was like, 2~ weeks ago) I'd say that in my current experience, everyone is super accepting of new players. But I can tell that they get annoyed playing against me for longer periods of time because I'm not really good enough to have any chance of beating them. They still help out a lot though with pointing out what I should be working on, or giving me matchup pointers. So far it's been super fun getting into the scene! As cliche as it sounds, you just have to play to get better and not play to win.

SyaoranLi

Smash Rookie
If you have an SD card and a Wii. I recommend getting homebrew. find a way to get usb uploader GX, that way if you don't have a copy of Melee, you can just use an emulator via homebrew channel. Then download 20xxTE, the explanation is all on their website. It's a great way to start learning how to competitively play Melee. Also as a long time spectator and a noob Melee who just started last year, I'd like to extend a hand in welcoming you to the scene! My motto has always been that it's never too late, it's only too late when you choose not to do something about it. So don't worry about when you started, you'll look back on this day maybe a year from now and see how much you've progressed. You'll be glad you did.

EDIT: Also, I am so thankful that you're a girl, because we don't have enough females playing competitively. Even the trans community is small in the melee scene compared to how many men there are. It's nice to have a change every once in a while. Hopefully you can invite more female friends to join the scene to add diversity to the roster.

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I played brawl casually for about 3 years then I realized that I had a brain. I am now a frequent at the local club. The scene is pretty welcoming in my area.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
The real melee is our minds. The controller, the CRT, the game, it's all just a vessel of expression. The disk is not melee, we are melee. Liek if u agree.
I shed a tear. Pure poetry.

Melee will never die.

:144:

Top Bottom