• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I play who I want, despite being really bad?

SenorBrian

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I've been playing melee casually for a very long time and started to play competitively for the last 6 months. I want to play Falco, despite being really bad at him. I have bad tech skill and I can't fit his play style. Despite this I really want to play him, because he looks so fun once you get used to him. Right now I lose against just about anyone when I play Falco and it's frustrating. Should I keep trying Falco, or should I stick with who I'm comfortable with, who is Luigi.

I fit into Luigi's play style, and he's much easier to play. But to be honest he's not fun for me and makes the game boring. I win with Luigi, but it's not enjoyable.

Can someone please help me, I feel like I'm losing the fun aspect of the game...
Thank you in advance.

Just play as who you have the most fun as. Why play a game if you're not having fun?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Who you're comfortable with right now won't necessarily be the same in the long term, since the main factor in that right now is that you're new/bad. You have bad tech skill because you haven't learned it; nothing's stopping you from doing so. Being more comfortable with one character over another is relative; you're very uncomfortable with both Falco and Luigi compared to high-level players.

Play the character you like. You'll be able to learn faster when you're having more fun (as well as just having more fun for its own sake).

Last edited:

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
I'd say play Falco despite if your bad with him. There are plenty of Falco videos on youtube that can help you improve. Doesn't make sense if you play Luigi and your not having fun

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
If you like Falco, just keep practicing with him. He isn't a particularly hard character to see improvement with, especially if you pick him up when you're relatively new to the game. Learning spacie tech will become second nature in your play once you practice it enough. Just watch tutorials and matches of mid to high level Falco players (good examples to watch would be Porkchops or Zhu).

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
Melee is a three part art.

Skill, Dedication and Expression.

Skill is something that stems from time spent in the game. The longer you play the game and the more you focus on learning specific skills the better you will learn them. This is a game where hours spent will always outweigh the random person that has natural talent for techskill or for a certain character.

Dedication is something that you provide directly. If you play a character that you don't like then I can see problems with you being dedicated or enjoying the time that you put forth. If you truly want to play as Falco, then do it and do it exclusively so that you can fully dedicate yourself to the character. In time you will see improvement and you will grow into that character as you find your own style of play.

Expression is probably the most important thing in Melee because it is the defining factor between your main and your secondary. We can recognize top players by how they specifically play their characters, how they express themselves in battle. Don't worry if your playstyle doesn't work with Falco right now, it needs time to mature. Playing the character that you truly desire to is the only way to actually express yourself properly in this game.

Play who you want to play.

EnigmaticScarecrow

Smash Cadet
The first solution I would look to if I were you would be to find some sort of middle ground. A character you can have fun with and can win with. There are lots of other options besides just Falco and Luigi.

However, if Falco is really the only character you find really fun, then I'd recommend playing him in friendly matches to get better (which yes, will obviously take a long time) and playing Luigi in serious matches such as in tournament.

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
I main falco for tech skill and speed but secondary Luigi as a comfort zone. And keep other characters as jokes/memes
It's only a game.
Enjoy it

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
I use Fox cause I'm comfortable with his speed and combo game, but it can get kinda boring using him all the time. I never use other characters in competitive play, but once in a blue moon I'll go Pikachu or Falcon when playing friendlies.

JUPITER_SSB

Smash Rookie
Play whoever you have the most fun with, it really goes down to that in the end.

Find someone you enjoy and work hard at becoming decent with him.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
If you are having trouble playing I suggest you try marth first. He's a lot easier and he teaches you the fundamentals of the game like spacing, when to apply dash dancing and wavedashing, etc. After you learn how to play the game well then you can move up to falco and it will be easier to use him. Also it really depends, Are you playing to have fun or are you playing to win. If you are playing to have fun then you should learn him. If you are playing to win, then if your personal perferance on play style doesn't fit him, then I would suggest choosing someone else who does because you would have more success with that character.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Play who you want to play.

But it really depends on your goals. I could pick up Marth or falcon now and after some practice (i already play those characters some), do better than I would with solo Ganondorf (especially when using Ganon when I needed him). If you REALLY love Kirby, and you REALLY want to be the best, those 2 won't work out.

But if the character you love isn't horrible, even if you have high goals I'd still say keep playing that character. No legendary player played solely for winning. They had fun too.

Look at axe, amsa, qerb, top Ganons, top Samuses, top luigis, scorpion master (lol), etc. and remember, they don't show the max potential of the character. You can be better than them!

Remember, you can be a legend without making top 16 at a national. It depends on your goals.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
Play for fun. I'm guessing playing Luigi doesn't win you money in local tournaments. So who cares if you get bopped and are out?The truth is most people who play Melee in tournaments win between 0 and 2 matches. Some people have been competing for over a decade. Some of these guys you would need to dedicate 5 years to compete with and that's assuming you like grinded it out and are a really good player.
Simply put always just play what you enjoy win or lose. Unless you're mew2king then listen to the people and play who we tell you to. =P

Top Bottom