• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should i Main Yoshi?

Fleckz

Smash Rookie
Hey Yoshi guys

I play Melee for about a Year now and can do the basic techs like DD, WD, SHFFL. I always struggled finding a Main switched around alot and played Yoshi the first time Yesterday. I was so Terrible with the DJC and SD'd alot. He still makes me Fun but i wonder how long would it Take till i get the Feel for him and play on the Level i play now or further?
Does Yoshi requires alot of Techskill and have to practice alot alone? How long does it take to get the Feel for DJC and Momentum changes Midair? I really like seeing good Yoshis do this but when i play him nothing works!

Thanks for the Help
Fleckz

Michelangelo

Smash Cadet
I'm far from a yoshi expert but i know yoshi's play is pretty different from most characters. He has some weird tech to learn like his DJC and RDJC. Though he seems awesome as a character once you really understand his style. I think you do need some (couple weeks?) practice alone to figure out how he works and which moves can be used for combo's etc. I suggest you to watch some vods from amsa. It will help you a lot to learn about yoshi. I think you should main the character you like the most and if it's yoshi, go for it

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
He's the character with the most needed amount of tech skills and knowledge in general of the game to start using him. You need to know how to remove the tumble animation in the air, using reverse DJC and DJC uair juggle well enough, shield drop, egg stall on the ledge (at least 1 good egg is enough for beginning), parrying and other techniques to play him on an acceptable level. I'd suggest to learn the game more with any other character and try Yoshi when you're familiar enough with advanced techniques

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
You shouldn't switch your main after playing a character for one day. You'll find more success with one character.

Regardless, main whoever you want. If you find that you do well with Yoshi and have fun with him, then go for it. Yoshi is a really unique character.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn't switch your main after playing a character for one day. You'll find more success with one character.

Regardless, main whoever you want. If you find that you do well with Yoshi and have fun with him, then go for it. Yoshi is a really unique character.
didn't expect to see you in these boards. haha

Hey Yoshi guys

I play Melee for about a Year now and can do the basic techs like DD, WD, SHFFL. I always struggled finding a Main switched around alot and played Yoshi the first time Yesterday. I was so Terrible with the DJC and SD'd alot. He still makes me Fun but i wonder how long would it Take till i get the Feel for him and play on the Level i play now or further?
Does Yoshi requires alot of Techskill and have to practice alot alone? How long does it take to get the Feel for DJC and Momentum changes Midair? I really like seeing good Yoshis do this but when i play him nothing works!

Thanks for the Help
Fleckz
Yoshi is a lot of fun but like flieskiller flieskiller i feel you have to put a lot more time into learning Yoshi then any other charecter (this is just my opinion) but the rewards are def worth it. I've been using him for about 2 1/2 years now and i've had a blast learning all the quirks about Yoshi.

Fleckz

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the answer Dinowulf Dinowulf - i really like your Combo Video btw!

So what do you think in terms of Time how long / how much time to invest to get some Result? How was it when you started out Dinowulf Dinowulf ?

hamyojo

Smash Ace
NO DON'T MAIN YOSHI
He's different than every other Melee character and people wont be able to combo you and you'll hit walls you wouldn't hit if you mained real characters. If you wanna main a cool, fast character just play Falcon

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
NO DON'T MAIN YOSHI
He's different than every other Melee character and people wont be able to combo you and you'll hit walls you wouldn't hit if you mained real characters. If you wanna main a cool, fast character just play Falcon
Don't tell people not to main a character just because the character is different. Not to mention, "people won't be able to combo you" doesn't sound bad at all.

DON'T MAIN FALCON, he's super low tier. If you wanna main a cool, fast character just play Fox
(see how dumb that looks)

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi is cool and all, and of all of the cool mid/low tiers he's one of the most viable. That being said, he is very difficult and frustrating to play. He has plenty of bad matchups, and bad maps. Also consider that if you're looking to improve, you won't be able to ask questions to your region's top-player Yoshi main because they likely don't exist.

You'll probably put in a ton of effort and wind up with a decent Yoshi, but you'll wind up being known as "that guy that plays Yoshi pretty well" instead of "that guy who's really good at Melee."

I mean you can do it, don't get me wrong. He is fairly viable if Amsa is a good measure of viability, and if you just loveee the character than go ahead, but if you aren't prepared for a great deal of frustration, no one will frown upon you choosing to take an easier path.

Festive

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshwa
3DS FC
0963-1631-8800
It's questions like these that make me think of this song:
But yeah point is you should look through the Yoshi forums, really get an understanding of what you're going to have to learn. If you think its worth it then go for it. Good luck!

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi is a reactive character, so if you wanna play that game it can work. Watch Amsa not for being yoshi, but how he plays. It will give you an idea if you would enjoy playing yoshi. But at the end of the day you just have to try him out for a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom