• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should I main pichu lololol

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
So I am a falcon main and I am sick and tired of getting ****ed up by every character in the cast ever, so I set out on a grand quest to find a new main as I realized that I actually hate stupid ass idiot child falcon.

I started by purging all my preconceptions about all the characters--how they "should" be played, what their position was in the tier list, etc. and tried to focus solely on what *felt right.* I narrowed it down to the space animals, Mario, and... Pichu. And for some reason, Pichu consistently felt the most *right* out of all those guys!

Since then I have almost exclusively been playing Pichu in friendlies and have seen a lot of success. There is something about the rat that is just too fun to pass up! At times I can even go toe-to-toe against my friend who is the second best player in my region (Hawaii) whereas I would have to be having a particularly "good day" to be doing so with stupid ****head Falcon.

From this experience I have drawn two conclusions:

1. Pichu is definitely not the worst or second worst character in the game
2. Captain Falcon is probably actually the worst or second worst character in the game

Anyway, despite the huge amount of fun I have had with the rat, Pichu obviously has some pretty awful flaws. Dying in like 2 hits sucks, damaging yourself blows, and having no reliable kill moves swallows. I lose to a lot of noobs because I just don't know how to answer some things. Luigi can just wd fsmash me for some reason and 1 of Ganon's jabs are worth like 50 of my up airs. Even the great idiot himself, captain falcon, is able to kill me in like 2 dthrow knees! And despite my best efforts, I am STILL clueless on how to deal with Falco lasers!

Right now I am ranked third in my region but I am probably gonna get demoted super hard next time around due to an enormous string of horrible tournament results (which I blame completely on dumb ****face falcon). It has been a dream of mine since I was a wee fifteen years old to become the best in Hawaii, and I'm not sure if Pichu is the best character to do this with. Can I even realistically go for top 10 with him???

So I come to you, Pichu boards. Are there ANY successful dedicated Pichu mains? Do you think it is worth the effort to get better with Pichu, or should I just play Fox jajaja. Thanks for any input you all may have!

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Most disagree with me but I think luigi is pichu, s worst match-up due to how his combo,cc, and shield work vs pichu.

But know it's really really difficult to nair correctly all the time like You need.

Pichu, s nair is a rolling disjoint (unlike pikachu, s) and on frame 5-6 his feet are in front of him and he can beat fox, falco, yoshi, falcon, and pika's nair and run over falcons knee if You can keep hitting that window.

You also need to be able to time that nair low on shield to have frame advantage and if hit frame 5 and land vs fox You can grab before he can do anything and You're spaced to avoid shine oos

You can also pull back early during a sh and twist Your body away during a sh or 2nd jump back jolt.

Sure You already understand how amazing cross ups are. Honestly tho pichu is really simple just really detailed in the one thing he does

trusty

Smash Apprentice
So I am a falcon main and I am sick and tired of getting ****ed up by every character in the cast ever, so I set out on a grand quest to find a new main as I realized that I actually hate stupid *** idiot child falcon.

I started by purging all my preconceptions about all the characters--how they "should" be played, what their position was in the tier list, etc. and tried to focus solely on what *felt right.* I narrowed it down to the space animals, Mario, and... Pichu. And for some reason, Pichu consistently felt the most *right* out of all those guys!

Since then I have almost exclusively been playing Pichu in friendlies and have seen a lot of success. There is something about the rat that is just too fun to pass up! At times I can even go toe-to-toe against my friend who is the second best player in my region (Hawaii) whereas I would have to be having a particularly "good day" to be doing so with stupid ****head Falcon.

From this experience I have drawn two conclusions:

1. Pichu is definitely not the worst or second worst character in the game
2. Captain Falcon is probably actually the worst or second worst character in the game

Anyway, despite the huge amount of fun I have had with the rat, Pichu obviously has some pretty awful flaws. Dying in like 2 hits sucks, damaging yourself blows, and having no reliable kill moves swallows. I lose to a lot of noobs because I just don't know how to answer some things. Luigi can just wd fsmash me for some reason and 1 of Ganon's jabs are worth like 50 of my up airs. Even the great idiot himself, captain falcon, is able to kill me in like 2 dthrow knees! And despite my best efforts, I am STILL clueless on how to deal with Falco lasers!

Right now I am ranked third in my region but I am probably gonna get demoted super hard next time around due to an enormous string of horrible tournament results (which I blame completely on dumb ****face falcon). It has been a dream of mine since I was a wee fifteen years old to become the best in Hawaii, and I'm not sure if Pichu is the best character to do this with. Can I even realistically go for top 10 with him???

So I come to you, Pichu boards. Are there ANY successful dedicated Pichu mains? Do you think it is worth the effort to get better with Pichu, or should I just play Fox jajaja. Thanks for any input you all may have!
If you can dash dance, sh nair and get the chain grabs down I don't see why not. As the game gets more fox focused people lose lower tier match ups more often because of a lack of experience. And pichu is better than Kirby, bowser, Zelda, ness, maybe mewtwo, maybe Roy IMO. The self damaging is just horrible, but once you can work around that and NEVER go to FD or PS you should honestly be fine, assuming your tech skill is strong. Just be patient, nair, up throw and wait for your chance to up smash

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Self damage doesn't matter really cause pichu is easiest to combo at 0% then it's hard after 60% and he just gets poked a lot if he wasn't killed then but self damage averaged about 22% for me and most of it was from recovery and that also factored in off map percent build.

I don't know what anyone would do with platforms as pichu besides get longer upair combos and have serious issues edge guarding people who land on them.

I mean his pressure vs platforms is surprisingly safe but doesn't really do anything unless You're godly at reads or nair ai shield pressure

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
I have found that the top platform on the 3-platform stages is really useful fo recover to! Also I like to use platforms to uthrow people on there and then shark an uair like Marth, either into an usmash or another uair/nair. Why is FD bad though? I figure it should be pretty good against fast fallers, especially idiot falcon kekeke. Also yeah I don't care too much about the self damage either cause the rat is gonna die anyway lolol

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
fd makes pichu's neutral pretty telegraphed. platform stages can make pichu's vertical range in uair and utilt more useful, along with his good shield drop game (both normal and shai drop). i think it's okay vs falcon though, since i don't feel like his neutral against pichu is boosted there as much as spacies with lol crouch cancel shine. also you can wreck spacies on all the other stages, it's just really hard. you'd have to tech chase with down throw sometimes, especially on dreamland since up throw /up air followups (probably, not sure) can't be reacted to with the size of the platforms. you can do pretty well on yoshi's (don't go here unless you're really comfortable, you die ridiculously fast here) and battlefield with mini falco combis using up tilt, up air, and nair into gimps.

and yeah self damage isn't a concern 99% of the time

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Fd is amazing if they approach but it's easy to get trigger happy on fd and You can really hurt there for it.

It's all a matter of taste sometimes.

I like bf vs sheik and dl64 vs puff but I try to play poker with stage counter picks

trusty

Smash Apprentice
My best stages with pichu are dreamland and battlefield. I thought those were sort of universally agreed on? It's just so much safer to recovery and easier to combo midweight characters on

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I was a dedicated Bowser main since February up until about a month ago. So as a player that enjoys a lot of the low tiers, let me give my input.

If you want to see yourself improve and get better at the game, and do well in competition, do not main Pichu. You will not improve nearly as fast, or as much at all as you would with a top tier. Top tiers simply have more options to use than low tiers do, so there are more things to learn about the game, such as things in neutral for example.
However, if you are just looking to have fun and don't care so much about improving as a player, main Pichu! Playing your favorite character is important, but in a competitive sense it isn't always the best option. But just messing around in friendlies, or if you don't take the game very seriously, maining Pichu is a great choice considering your results with him(her?) and the amount of fun you have with the character.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
J $ is right it's not even just more options it's just being able to play the game more. If pichu is grabbed he dies no di can help and most the cast can edge guard him pretty freely. Where fox might get near death thrown by sheik he can at least get off stage and work mix ups at every point in his gameplay.

My tech as pichu has gone down a lot but I'm better at pichu since I've mained ics as strange as it seems

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
the thing about fd is that spacies can laser, cc shine, and out dash dance us so we shouldn't get nairs much.

not as bad as dreamland vs spacies though

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Most disagree with me but I think luigi is pichu, s worst match-up due to how his combo,cc, and shield work vs pichu.

But know it's really really difficult to nair correctly all the time like You need.

Pichu, s nair is a rolling disjoint (unlike pikachu, s) and on frame 5-6 his feet are in front of him and he can beat fox, falco, yoshi, falcon, and pika's nair and run over falcons knee if You can keep hitting that window.

You also need to be able to time that nair low on shield to have frame advantage and if hit frame 5 and land vs fox You can grab before he can do anything and You're spaced to avoid shine oos

You can also pull back early during a sh and twist Your body away during a sh or 2nd jump back jolt.

Sure You already understand how amazing cross ups are. Honestly tho pichu is really simple just really detailed in the one thing he does
I can prob agree on the worst matchup being the Luigi MU.

Little ShOcKeR

Smash Cadet
almost everyone can 0-death falcon
well yeah but pichu's is the most "disrespectful" because its pichu. so most falcons think your trolling and then u 0-death them its actually hilarious when i play against the local semi-pros in the next region over from me.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
Just because you suck with Falcon doesn't mean the character sucks. But sure thing, main Pichu if you want to get bodied at a professional level. Pichu's may not be as bad as everyone says, but that doesn't mean he's good. He gets destroyed by too many people too easily, but if you want to play Nair: the character then go ahead I guess lol

Bacon&Eggs

Smash Cadet
Lots of wonderful input, a lot more than I thought I would get here! Thanks everyone! I think I will try Pichu at the next tournament and if I get bodied once again I will just switch to fox LOLOL

FunkyGrip2000

Smash Rookie
A sucessful Pichu main would attract a lot of attention in a tournament. Think about aMSa with Yoshi!

Also, disrespect.

Top Bottom